Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My 2012 Nfl Mock Draft

I want to know what other people are seeing in Blackmon that makes him rate higher than Jeffrey and FLoyd. I'm not saying that he's not better...I simply haven't had much opportunity yet to see him play. The little I have seen of him, I didn't get any kind of "wow" effect after watching him play whereas I did with both Alshon Jeffrey and Michael Floyd. I do plan to watch as many of Oklahoma States games as I can. Since I haven't had much opportunity I'm hoping to hear what others that have seen him play more have to say about him that makes him the #1 WR prospect as of now. :)

I want to know what other people are seeing in Blackmon that makes him rate higher than Jeffrey and FLoyd. I'm not saying that he's not better...I simply haven't had much opportunity yet to see him play. The little I have seen of him, I didn't get any kind of "wow" effect after watching him play whereas I did with both Alshon Jeffrey and Michael Floyd. I do plan to watch as many of Oklahoma States games as I can. Since I haven't had much opportunity I'm hoping to hear what others that have seen him play more have to say about him that makes him the #1 WR prospect as of now. :)

Where i think Blackmon is better is the run blocking department and a more polished route runner but not by a lot. These 3 guys talent levels are all pretty close and what's hurting Floyds draft stock is his character issues. Even though Blackmon is 6'1" he plays more like a reciever that's 6'5" as this clip of sports science shows.

One other thing that stands out for me is Blackmon didn't have one game last year where he had under 100 recieving yards that's pretty incredible.

Here's something that concerns me though....I've been checking out a lot of games and a lot of draft sites. I've yet to find anything on this site that I disagree with so it's become the one I trust the most. Here's their report on Blackmon:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/5/29/2195885/justin-blackmon-player-profile

NFL Player Comparison:

Pierre Garcon: This was quite a tough comparison for me. Blackmon looked like a total superstar last season but I don't think he is comparable to an upper echelon NFL receiver just yet. Garcon has flashed the potential to be a number one at times but has a horrible tendency to drop the easy balls. Watching Blackmon on tape he drops more balls than people seem to realise. I think both Blackmon and Garcon have playmaking ability and both players can produce highlight plays. I do think that Blackmon drops fewer balls than Garcon and likely will be a better pro but I stand by the comparison.

I'm going to watch as much of him as I can to see if I form the same opinion but as of right now, unless it's Alshon Jeffrey I'd just assume we hold off until a middle round to pick up a WR because I strongly believe there will still be good talent to be had.

Here's something that concerns me though....I've been checking out a lot of games and a lot of draft sites. I've yet to find anything on this site that I disagree with so it's become the one I trust the most. Here's their report on Blackmon:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/5/29/2195885/justin-blackmon-player-profile

I'm going to watch as much of him as I can to see if I form the same opinion but as of right now, unless it's Alshon Jeffrey I'd just assume we hold off until a middle round to pick up a WR because I strongly believe there will still be good talent to be had.

I wouldn't mind us having Alshon at all!! I have just given up all hope that the colts will draft a reciever over 6'1" lol.

To me, if we trade down in the first round, one late first round WR I would not mind having would be Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma who I think is 5'11"/6'0", 185 lbs, 4.46 speed. Great, not just good route runner, has a knack to get open, has great YAC speed, football speed faster than timed speed.

If Wayne, Garcon and Gonzo are all in their contract years and we decide to part ways with Gonzo, he is the perfect replacement. Plus, assuming the almighty Peyton comes back next year, it would allow us to continue the development of Garcon and Collie as an alternative on the outside. Ryan Broyles is MUCH better than Blair White, quicker than Collie and if his intelligence is up to par with Collie or Gonzo, the sky is the limit in the slot. No known injury issues either. He can be had in the late first round, IMO, in case we decide not to go with Michael Floyd as a late round WR.

Chad, do you think his draft stock will fall even if he does put up pretty respectable numbers. I mean last year I wanted us to get Leonard Hankerson out of the U and he was projected a late 1st rounder-2nd rounder and the Redskins ended nabbing him in the third.(But i think that has to do with teams getting quarterbacks in rounds they didn't want to.) I don't have an issue with his height because it seems our tallest receiver is Dallas Clark and our receivers are consistently 6'0''. I wouldn't mind taking him in the first, but I would much rather take him with our second round pick and take Stephon Gilmore or Dre Kirkpatrick with our first pick.

Chad, do you think his draft stock will fall even if he does put up pretty respectable numbers. I mean last year I wanted us to get Leonard Hankerson out of the U and he was projected a late 1st rounder-2nd rounder and the Redskins ended nabbing him in the third.(But i think that has to do with teams getting quarterbacks in rounds they didn't want to.) I don't have an issue with his height because it seems our tallest receiver is Dallas Clark and our receivers are consistently 6'0''. I wouldn't mind taking him in the first, but I would much rather take him with our second round pick and take Stephon Gilmore or Dre Kirkpatrick with our first pick.

I meant our second first round pick if we trade down. We do need a playmaking CB on the outside, you need to have one in this passing league unless you have a D-line like the Giants, which we do not. If we can manage 2 first round picks, the first one can be a CB and the second one a WR like Ryan Broyles. If he drops, based on combine sentiment etc., then we can wait till our second round pick early in the second round. I remember being very high on Jordy Nelson and wanted to get him with our second round pick that year but the Packers just stepped in and got him early second round. We will just have to hope people pass on Broyles in the late first round but good teams that need WRs like the Bears, Ravens will snag him in an instant, IMO.

Plus, food for thought. All these years, we have wondered what Peyton would look like if we had a WR like Megatron. Alshon Jeffery reminds me of Megatron, to be honest.

Oh I know you meant our second 1st round pick. I'm just saying we have other pressing needs that I would like to see us address first and foremost.

If we let Gonzo go, which is very likely, IMO, an aging Wayne, an inconsistent Garcon, a concussion-time-bomb-Collie would need to be augmented in the draft, IMO, with good talent. If we wait for a later round for a WR, we could have another inconsistent Garcon on our hands, that is always the chance you take, IMO.

Besides, you have to think of the possibility that a new QB will eventually replace Peyton. Peyton may be able to make any WR work, will the other QB be able to do so? Too much uncertainty there to hedge your bets on, so just go ahead and provide the foundation for the new QB when he does arrive, IMO. It would be hard to not admit that Mathew Stafford's job was made easier because Calvin Johnson was already around.

I meant our second first round pick if we trade down. We do need a playmaking CB on the outside, you need to have one in this passing league unless you have a D-line like the Giants, which we do not. If we can manage 2 first round picks, the first one can be a CB and the second one a WR like Ryan Broyles. If he drops, based on combine sentiment etc., then we can wait till our second round pick early in the second round. I remember being very high on Jordy Nelson and wanted to get him with our second round pick that year but the Packers just stepped in and got him early second round. We will just have to hope people pass on Broyles in the late first round but good teams that need WRs like the Bears, Ravens will snag him in an instant, IMO.

Plus, food for thought. All these years, we have wondered what Peyton would look like if we had a WR like Megatron. Alshon Jeffery reminds me of Megatron, to be honest.

Honestly, if we're able to trade down somewhat and get 2 first round picks, then I'd prefer to go after Jeffrey early and get the CB later. The top prospects at CB and WR respectively are, imo, Dre Kirkpatrick and Alshon Jeffrey respectively. If you consider the difference in talent from each of those guys with the WR's and CB's that will be available later in the first round, then I think the differential in talent goes to Jeffrey. There will still be some very good, versatile CB's with playmaking ability later in the first round like Stephon Gilmore (thank you to AustinCollie for pointing him out to me) and Morris Claiborn.

To add to what I said in previous post regarding the trade down possibility, if Alshon Jeffrey is gone by our first pick then I'd take Manti Ta'o MLB in the early first round, either Jeff Fuller WR or Michael Floyd in the late first round and then one of the same CB's I mentioned above in the early 2nd round.

Honestly, if we're able to trade down somewhat and get 2 first round picks, then I'd prefer to go after Jeffrey early and get the CB later. The top prospects at CB and WR respectively are, imo, Dre Kirkpatrick and Alshon Jeffrey respectively. If you consider the difference in talent from each of those guys with the WR's and CB's that will be available later in the first round, then I think the differential in talent goes to Jeffrey. There will still be some very good, versatile CB's with playmaking ability later in the first round like Stephon Gilmore (thank you to AustinCollie for pointing him out to me) and Morris Claiborn.

I agree with you. We have never had a chance to draft a top 2 WR in the draft for ages. Even Marvin Harrison was overlooked by many teams and was drafted at No.19 in the 1996 draft, I think, what a catch indeed!!! Then get the CB help.

I've said it before but I don't want Blackmon in a Colts uniform. I've seen him throwing fits when he didn't have the ball thrown his way. Imagine what a prima donna he's going to be when he gets a huge payday and NFL fame. No thanks!!!

Agreed...I saw the same thing in the Oklahoma St. vs. Texas A&M game. On the plus side, if he ever acted that way in a Colts uniform, Manning would simply snap his fingers and the OL would bull rush Blackmon and give him a good ol prima dona beatdown....that may prevent it from ever happening again. :D

Seriously though, right now my preference of first round WR's would be Alshon Jeffrey > Jeff Fuller > Michael Floyd.

As for Ryan Broyles, most sites I've seen as of now project him as a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

Agreed...I saw the same thing in the Oklahoma St. vs. Texas A&M game. On the plus side, if he ever acted that way in a Colts uniform, Manning would simply snap his fingers and the OL would bull rush Blackmon and give him a good ol prima dona beatdown....that may prevent it from ever happening again. :D

Seriously though, right now my preference of first round WR's would be Alshon Jeffrey > Jeff Fuller > Michael Floyd.

As for Ryan Broyles, most sites I've seen as of now project him as a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

If were going to skip over the top QB's in the draft, I hope we concentrate on the defense. I just think we could grab a WR in the 3rd or 4th rd. and still be ok.

If were going to skip over the top QB's in the draft, I hope we concentrate on the defense. I just think we could grab a WR in the 3rd or 4th rd. and still be ok.

I fully agree...only reason I stated my preference of the first round WR's is in case the Colts do decide to take one of them. I would be fine with skipping WR until a late round and picking up Derek Moye in the 6th/7th round. He's projected in the 7th right now but he will move up...the question is how high will he move up come draft day.