Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Walden 7th among LBs in run stopping percentage

HtownColt

Erik Walden finished 7th in run stopping percentage this past year among all LBs according to Football Outsiders with a 77% run stopping percentage

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/best-and-worst-run-stop-rates-2012

. this furthers my statement on Grigson and Pagano felt that stopping the run was our biggest weakness and needed to be addressed. We allowed 137.0 yards a game against the run 29th in league. That's why Walden, Francios, Landry, Franklin were brought in. Pass rush will come once we fix our weakness which is stopping the run. I can't blame them at all for solely focusing on stopping the run and protecting Luck this free agency when those were clearly our two biggest weaknesses

Erik Walden finished 7th in run stopping percentage this past year among all LBs according to Football Outsiders.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/best-and-worst-run-stop-rates-2012

. this furthers my statement on Grigson and Pagano felt that stopping the run was our biggest weakness and needed to be addressed. We allowed 137.0 yards a game against the run 29th in league. That's why Walden, Francios, Landry, Franklin were brought in. Pass rush will come once we fix our weakness which is stopping the run. I can't blame them at all for solely focusing on stopping the run and protecting Luck this free agency when those were clearly our two biggest weaknesses

Good find. I agree that there was a method to their madness. Lets hope those results show up on the field.

I saw that as well. Counters the idea that most of Walden's tackles came 5+ yards past the line of scrimmage, as some have suggested. FO credits him with 77% of his plays being "stops." Not an exact science, just like PFF's ratings, but good insight, and less vague, if you ask me.

Erik Walden finished 7th in run stopping percentage this past year among all LBs according to Football Outsiders with a 77% run stopping percentage

Good stuff!!! Its funny because this is the stuff sites like Bleacher Report especially leave out. They tell the negative side and just bash everything. Although alot of thier info is not complete. But this is good to hear. I know hes not the greatest but if he can help then thats what matters.

"Stops are plays that stop an offense short of what FO considers a success: 45 percent of yards needed on first down, 60 percent of yards on second down and 100 percent on third or fourth down."

Sounds like Toler is supposed to be a solid help stopping the run as well.

Looking back Matt Forte, MJD, Foster, CJ one game, Jamall Charles/Hillis, Shonn Greene, Packers, Reggie bush, Ridley, and I think CJ Spiller. All ran the ball with ease on us, the Chiefs and the first Jags game run defense was embarrassing. This needed to be addressed in a big way and I credit Grigson/Pagano in doing just that with multiple signings

At first I was like who the heck?!? Them I read everything I could find on him and he seemed like a really good fit for us. A guy who has had to work his tail off to get where he's at and the arrow continues to point up as they say. Think him and Hughes will be good for us this year.

I am a bit surprised that Dumervil shows up in the list of worst 10 DL vs the run and Freeney does not. I am sure he is looming around in the 11-20 area :). But it also shows you that Dumervil was not as cracked up to be what he was.

Im confused by the percentages and what do they mean by "run defeats"

"One of our defensive stats is called Defeats. It adds up all plays (tackles, assists, passes defensed, etc.) that are:

1) tackles for a loss

2) turnovers

3) stop offense from converting third or fourth down

"-FootballOutsiders

"One of our defensive stats is called Defeats. It adds up all plays (tackles, assists, passes defensed, etc.) that are:

1) tackles for a loss

2) turnovers

3) stop offense from converting third or fourth down

"-FootballOutsiders

Ok, didn't see that 

Still 3 tackles for loss on 35 run plays (if Football Outsiders is to be believed) does not tell me he his good against the run, I wish tackles for loss was an official stat

Stopping a run play for a 1,2,3 yard gain is a great job as a defender but doesn't count as a tackle for loss.

Knows but i just question Football Outsiders statistics, mainly how they come up with much of them

They pretty much tell you how they came up with it before they give you the statistics.

" Stops are plays that stop the offense short of what FO considers a successful play: 45 percent of yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third or fourth down."

I saw that as well. Counters the idea that most of Walden's tackles came 5+ yards past the line of scrimmage, as some have suggested. FO credits him with 77% of his plays being "stops." Not an exact science, just like PFF's ratings, but good insight, and less vague, if you ask me.

This signing never bothered me and I'm hopeful it ends up to be a good one. Any signing for league average  that you can walk away from after the 2nd year for a 600K cap hit does not deserve the bashing this one took.

Great find..  Another stat GB was 17th against the run Colts 29th.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense

and Walden was the run defender in the GB defense.  IMO  Freeney was a hugh liability last year.. mostly do to scheme change in 4-3 has the linbacker to help turn play in.  In 3-4 he has to turn in play to middle linbackers or goes for long yards.

Don't forget we still have Mathis and he is moving to the pass rush outside linbacker..

and the project that the picked up (Sidbury) was the fastest OLB in his draft class... but he needs coached up.

I find it strangely weird for the defense to NOT give up a silly amount of yards on the ground. 

I am sorta accustom to seeing our undersized guys getting plowed or not skilled enough to do something about it. 

I welcome this change. A lot. 

1 out of ten is very good...     

Seriously..     if you are a Colt fan do you even know what a tackle for loss is?   It has not happened enough the last decade...

Still 3 tackles for loss on 35 run plays (if Football Outsiders is to be believed) does not tell me he his good against the run, I wish tackles for loss was an official stat

random Q is it just me or is kavell conner a legit linebacker I hope he starts he's been playing really great he's so under rated

I agree 100%, Conner is lights out against the run, not the best in coverage, but much better than Angerer against the run. I don't know why he doesn't get more credit for how good he is in the run defense. I would rather have Conner on 1st and 2nd down playing the run and bring Angerer in on passing downs.

Bottom line ...   with all the NEW bodies brought in via FA.....     Indy's DL is a TON better.   

ESP concerning run D.     

Indy is a vastly better team.      RIGHT NOW.         We can worry about rushing the passer when we get to 3rd and long.

;)

I'm excited to see what they are able to do now that some good run stoppers are in place.  I would like to see another great pass rushing OLB drafted to make the front seven complete and provide pass rush on both sides..  If you ask me, this was a great signing that a lot of people just didn't get.

Right On...  Football 101 says...   "stop the run" ...

which indy never could do.....  and it has cost us dearly....   

NOW, Indy has a lot of Big Healthys up front....          I likey...

I'm excited to see what they are able to do now that some good run stoppers are in place.  I would like to see another great pass rushing OLB drafted to make the front seven complete and provide pass rush on both sides..  If you ask me, this was a great signing that a lot of people just didn't get.

I was extremely...extremely worried about this signing....but realizing that we are switching Mathis to rush lb and Walden will be the coverage/run lb makes me feel a lot better. Goes to show I should think before getting worked up. This signing sounds better day by day.....and he can also blitz..I mean it isn't like he had no production in creating some havoc....but on a team that has Mathews he wasn't needed too.

I was extremely...extremely worried about this signing....but realizing that we are switching Mathis to rush lb and Walden will be the coverage/run lb makes me feel a lot better. Goes to show I should think before getting worked up. This signing sounds better day by day.....and he can also blitz..I mean it isn't like he had no production in creating some havoc....but on a team that has Mathews he wasn't needed too.

It was mentioned they would switch Mathis the minute the signing occured.Alot of people just look at a players stats and say oh their horrible.Like a NT with no sacks lol uhhh duhh not his job.Not putting you down just saying alot of people dont think before they reply.Even me at times :) have a good day

It was mentioned they would switch Mathis the minute the signing occured.Alot of people just look at a players stats and say oh their horrible.Like a NT with no sacks lol uhhh duhh not his job.Not putting you down just saying alot of people dont think before they reply.Even me at times :) have a good day

Well I haven't really commented on any of the signings...just a general we clearly are paying guys what we believe their production to be and not what they've done....i said I was worried most about Walden....but yes...people want those big names...and we got smaller named guys signed to big contracts....but we see a lot of the structuring was done to pay guys IF they produce and we are learning more about their roles...I'm happier....not thrilled but happier.

Well I haven't really commented on any of the signings...just a general we clearly are paying guys what we believe their production to be and not what they've done....i said I was worried most about Walden....but yes...people want those big names...and we got smaller named guys signed to big contracts....but we see a lot of the structuring was done to pay guys IF they produce and we are learning more about their roles...I'm happier....not thrilled but happier.

You should be thrilled?Is our D better than last already?Is our O line looking better already?Better O-line better Luck,Ballard.=better O We kept  Patty mac = better special teams so so far the signings have improved the whole game why not thrilled?Do you not like to watch a good Def play?

Landry and Clerius are not small names, and are the only ones that got decent contracts, everyone else got ok contracts but seems the colts have a way out. idk where people are getting BIG Contracts at ?

For what we paid I had saw several other players take that and go other places at the positions we upgraded. I would have rather signed a decent RT or brought back Justice if it ment getting Vasquez and I saw several options at cb that I thought would be just as good sign cheaper contracts. I also don't care for Landry. I hope he stays healthy and reigns in his head hunting. Again Waldon I still think was over paid. That all said if we would have signed these guys that is fine....I just don't think the market for all of them was what we had to pay. None of these guys I think were day 1 guys...I think we could have negotiated better deals...thats my opinion...I know I know Grigson is the master and he knows better than me...but thats how I feel. I am confident they will perform...he addressed a lot of needs...I loved RJF and our guard signing...I guess I was just not impressed with the contracts.....I don't love Hasselback....4 mill a year....I would rather have matt moore or fitzpatrick for less money. Just not impressed with those contracts more than unhappy with the guys. Sorry.

Yesss..     This...  

Nobody broke the bank.    Even Landry and GC....     they got middle of the road contracts..  

The Colts are NOT on the hook for ANYONE long term for big cheez.  

RJF's contract is ALL front loaded...   if he flops...      after year 2 ??   

CYA,       No harm no foul... 

Landry and Clerius are not small names, and are the only ones that got decent contracts, everyone else got ok contracts but seems the colts have a way out. idk where people are getting BIG Contracts at ?

For what we paid I had saw several other players take that and go other places at the positions we upgraded. I would have rather signed a decent RT or brought back Justice if it ment getting Vasquez and I saw several options at cb that I thought would be just as good sign cheaper contracts. I also don't care for Landry. I hope he stays healthy and reigns in his head hunting. Again Waldon I still think was over paid. That all said if we would have signed these guys that is fine....I just don't think the market for all of them was what we had to pay. None of these guys I think were day 1 guys...I think we could have negotiated better deals...thats my opinion...I know I know Grigson is the master and he knows better than me...but thats how I feel. I am confident they will perform...he addressed a lot of needs...I loved RJF and our guard signing...I guess I was just not impressed with the contracts.....I don't love Hasselback....4 mill a year....I would rather have matt moore or fitzpatrick for less money. Just not impressed with those contracts more than unhappy with the guys. Sorry.

Ahh ok TY for clarifying i understand now that it has been a softer market in FA but this is 1 odd year you must admit.Most years that price or more would of been paid to Toler or Landry even.

Good Lord....     What would make you happy?

The Colts signed arguably the 2nd or 3rd best RT in FA.

They signed the best FA S....     next to Ed Reed.

They signed a G that started 9 games for NE last season.

They signed a OLB that has played huge minutes for GB as a backup.

They signed a another OLB that played a 43 E, ...     lets see what he can do?

They signed a "great" press CB in Toler...       What is to dislike here?

I don't get it...   Indy filled every single need with the exception of WR.....      and still ... "many" to  "most" are crying like babies.  

Why?

Good Lord.... What would make you happy?

The Colts signed arguably the 2nd or 3rd best RT in FA.

They signed the best FA S.... next to Ed Reed.

They signed a G that started 9 games for NE last season.

They signed a OLB that has played huge minutes for GB as a backup.

They signed a another OLB that played a 43 E, ... lets see what he can do?

They signed a "great" press CB in Toler... What is to dislike here?

I don't get it... Indy filled every single need with the exception of WR..... and still ... "many" to "most" are crying like babies.

Why?

i have a feeling irsay will be quoting "garden party" lyrics a lot until the season starts

hehe...    

Jimmy needs to refrain from drunk posting....     I am well aware it is hard to do...   ;)

What a great song by the late great Ricky Nelson...  

i have a feeling irsay will be quoting "garden party" lyrics a lot until the season starts