Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay: WR target is veteran FA, and NOT a trade....

NewColtsFan

I'd like to see us target someone in FA to help fill Donnie Avery's role last year and then target someone early in the draft to be Reggie's eventual replacement (I wouldn't force it this year if it doesn't come in round 1 or 2, if DeAndre Hopkins is still there round 1 and there's not a stud OL or DB, I think he'd be well worth it -- he even seems to be a Colts fan http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130313/TIGERSNOW/303130059/Former-Clemson-WR-Hopkins-speaks-NFL-Draft)

I'd love to see us grab Ramses Barden, as he is cheap, massive and has some serious upside (IMO), too.  

The other few WR's I wouldn't mind seeing us sign, who I think could help fill Avery's void, especially in the west-coast offense, are:

1) Mohamed Massaquoi (he is a little bigger, but still lightning fast and dynamic when he comes to play),

2) Josh Cribbs (he is fast and one of the most athletic players in the NFL, with his speed plus TY's speed, we could see some very big plays develop from short passes, could also serve as a returnman),

3) Ted Ginn (like Cribbs, lighting fast, could help return game, and could turn some short west coast plays into some big ones),

4) Domenik Hixon,

If they are very cheap, these injury prone guys might be worth a shot:

1) Steve Breaston,

2) Steve Smith

And of course, if they are available and not way too far out of our price range (i.e., they're not #1's, so don't pay them like #1's):

1) Victor Cruz,

2) Danario Alexander

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would say not sure who it is... but would hope it is not Randy making all this fuss.. I am sure he wants to be with a team he feels will make the super bowl next year..... sorry I am not sure he would feel that is the colts...   I do think even if we get a receiver in trade or FA  we will still draft one.  Remember how long it took for Reggie to be really productive a couple of years and he was like the 3rd orr 4th try at a secound (A.J. Green, etc)

the great thing is the draft has 3-5 large receivers that could be picked up by the colts in the first three rounds.

I really want to draft Justin Hunter. I think he will be the best WR to come out of this year's draft. After him, DeAndre Hopkins would be really good too, but Hunter is my preference. He'll continue to get better and he had a down year last year cause it was first year back from ACL injury. I saw Hunter play live here at USC(South Carolina) and he looked like a man among boys, he is going to be great.

Another reason I like DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson in Rd. 1 (if he's there) -- check what CBS has to say about him:  "Compares to: Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts - Like Wayne, Hopkins isn't the biggest or fastest, but he's able to manipulate his routes to create separation and is a reliable pass catcher with the body control, focus and competitive nature to finish. And like Wayne (30th pick in the 2001 NFL Draft), Hopkins will likely fall out of the top-25 picks and prove to be an excellent value in the late first or early second round."

I do, too, but Irsay did say we aren't going after him anymore, and can we even afford him anymore?

I think there's always ways to get a guy on the team.  To be honest, I'd rather draft a guy in the first than get any of those FAs that are left.

Heyword Bey was  cut because of $$$

Heyward-Bey had 41 receptions for 606 yards and a career-high five touchdowns in 2012, but was scheduled to earn $7.971 million in cash compensation in 2013, the final season of his $40.9 million rookie contract. Releasing Heyward-Bey saves nearly $8 million in cash and $5.341 million in cap space this season.

He does Not appear on the 10 Worst droppeers list with League Leaders T.Y. Hilton & Avery.

It's still going on but it takes some time. That whopper is Danario Alexander, he is a beast!! I hope it's him so we could adress other needs in the first round!

Denario Alexander is who I think would be good for the COLTS. :huthut:

I would so hope we can get him.  Dude has potential as long as he can stay healthy. . . .

Another reason I like DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson in Rd. 1 (if he's there) -- check what CBS has to say about him:  "Compares to: Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts - Like Wayne, Hopkins isn't the biggest or fastest, but he's able to manipulate his routes to create separation and is a reliable pass catcher with the body control, focus and competitive nature to finish. And like Wayne (30th pick in the 2001 NFL Draft), Hopkins will likely fall out of the top-25 picks and prove to be an excellent value in the late first or early second round."

4.51 is the standard for a WR having the ability to get separation against a CB.

Wayne was 4.45

Hopkins was 4.57 lots of talent- some might go Hmmmm!