Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree in principles with NT Aubrayo Franklin

MTC

Instead of starting a new thread, here is a nice Colts.com article just posted on Chapman....sounds promising, and he is working to get the quad stronger....Keep battling Josh!  We need you ready for the long haul!!!

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/2012-ROOKIE-REVIEW--JOSH-CHAPMAN/f347e298-230e-43c4-b1b4-b25cf448ba19

Thanks Brother ,IMO this kids gonna be a beast,Iknow you like him just as much.The kid was playing on one leg and commanding doubles half the time?what does this say about him on 2 healthy legs,this article sounds very positive with what I had read a month ago.Im excited we may have him fully ready for the season,the great thing about what weve done in FA is no DL has to play to many downs,i think the staff can keep running fresh bodies out to the trenches,not just bodies but capable ones :thmsup:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chap hasn't played a down in the nfl.

LOL yeah, neither did anyone else before they did. Always thought that was such a silly thing to say in support of a position.

No way he beats them out.

Your first point being dismissed out of hand, why can't he beat them out?

...he is not making much noise.

Neither is Andrew Luck....it is the off-season.

Trust me...

LOL why?

Anyway, Chapman was the starting DT on a BCS National Championship Team that held their undefeated opponents...scoreless. And was part of a defensive unit that led the nation in rush defense (72.2 ypg), total defense (183.6 ypg) and scoring defense (8.2 ppg) as a senior. Absent his surgery (for a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus) he is a day 1 starter. And barring significant problems with his recovery, there is nothing to suggest he won't be when he is cleared.

It would appear that Coach Pagano agrees...

“I expect great things from Josh,” said Chuck Pagano.  “From a physical standpoint, he could have gone last year had we pushed him.  He would have done that.  We felt like the best thing for the team and for Josh was to not push the issue there and to force him to do something (harmful).  He was close, but he certainly was not where he is today. Josh is going to give us a big, strong presence inside playing the nose.  He’s going to command double-teams.  He’s going to be a guy who helps our run defense when we plug him in.  He was just coming on when he got hurt in college.  He was one of the unsung heroes coming out of that locker room at Alabama.  You heard about (Courtney) Upshaw and (Dont’a) Hightower and all those guys, but Josh was the guy who knew that defense inside and out.  He’s very, very bright.  He’ll digest a ton of information.  Even though he didn’t play, he knew everything we were running from A-to-Z.  He will emerge as a big-time leader for us.”

I still think it is funny some of the people that are salivating over the Franklin signing (33 yrs old comin up) are the same ones who think Chapman is too small.....blows me the 'heck' away!  And PLEASE do not say.....he had very few sacks...DEMAND that double team NT!!!

I like Pags' optimism...I am as well...having true nose tackles in the 3-4....PRICELESS!   :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:

I still think it is funny some of the people that are salivating over the Franklin signing (33 yrs old comin up) are the same ones who think Chapman is too small.....blows me the 'heck' away!  And PLEASE do not say.....he had very few sacks...DEMAND that double team NT!!!

I like Pags' optimism...I am as well...having true nose tackles in the 3-4....PRICELESS!   :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:

I've been guilty of saying that Chap, is a little undersized, but I also qualified it with saying that he's remarkably strong and has a low center of gravity, which will help him out leverage his opponent. I have high hopes for Chap and now that we've added Franklin besides the other guys we have, were going to have a good NT rotation. I wonder which one, McKinney or Teveseu will not make the roster. We're not going to keep 4 NT's on the roster, heck we may not keep 3. Who knows?

I've been guilty of saying that Chap, is a little undersized, but I also qualified it with saying that he's remarkably strong and has a low center of gravity, which will help him out leverage his opponent. I have high hopes for Chap and now that we've added Franklin besides the other guys we have, were going to have a good NT rotation. I wonder which one, McKinney or Teveseu will not make the roster. We're not going to keep 4 NT's on the roster, heck we may not keep 3. Who knows?

My friend could depend on if any have versatility to play the other spots on the DL

Colts.com had a nice article on McKinney earlier this month.  He seemed like he was chomping at the bit to get going.  He wanted to show he was a leader like Redding on the field.  

The Colts have really positioned themselves for a 'battle royale' as far as competition in camp....bring on the draftees, UFAs and any other FA signings....I am close to camp this year...we may need to go!!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

I went and found it.....

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/McKINNEY-SHOOTS-FOR-TWO/468e5d78-b902-402f-8eff-93a40c878e46

Edited by BrentMc11

My friend could depend on if any have versatility to play the other spots on the DL

I think all of them are pretty much just true NT's IMO. I like all of them and hate to any of them go, but If I had to choose one to go, it would be Teveseu.

Colts.com had a nice article on McKinney earlier this month.  He seemed like he was chomping at the bit to get going.  He wanted to show he was a leader like Redding on the field.  

The Colts have really positioned themselves for a 'battle royale' as far as competition in camp....bring on the draftees, UFAs and any other FA signings....I am close to camp this year...we may need to go!!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

I really like Mckinney, I thought he was doing really well before his injury last season and from what I've heard from him, he has a great attitude and seems like a great teammate. I hope we keep him as part of the rotation, but I don't know if we'll keep 3 NT's or not.

My guess is Tevesue odd man out but will get his chance to prove himself,because Pags likes compitition

2 coming off of injury.....2 seemingly healthy......good thing to have 4.  It still looks like Chap needs to be 100%....that needs to happen IMO. :thmup:

I think all of them are pretty much just true NT's IMO. I like all of them and hate to any of them go, but If I had to choose one to go, it would be Teveseu.

I really like Mckinney, I thought he was doing really well before his injury last season and from what I've heard from him, he has a great attitude and seems like a great teammate. I hope we keep him as part of the rotation, but I don't know if we'll keep 3 NT's or not.

He was not 'special,' but a NT does not need to be.  He was the ONLY Colt in the preseason to demand the double team....and that is the job!!  I really liked his attitude in the article I posted above....I went back and found it.

Well grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr outta likes, Same ole....... different day

+1

Ditto....I like to give credit where credit is due!!   :)

+1

He was not 'special,' but a NT does not need to be.  He was the ONLY Colt in the preseason to demand the double team....and that is the job!!  I really liked his attitude in the article I posted above....I went back and found it.

+1

I'm out too guy's, already! :thmup:

We're months away from a depth chart. You're talking about going from a 90 man roster to a 53 man roster.

Also, I don't think RJF is going to be used as a nose tackle if we can help it at all.

no no no i agree i dont think we are using RJF at ALL at NT..my point was that it seems too many NT and i thougth given RJF versatility we would only carry 2 NT.

Not all will make the roster, we will have over 100 players in a few months.

certanly... im only saying it looks like way too many bodies for 1 position...actually the whole DL is stacked...

Mckinney, tevaseau (who we tendered btw), Chapman, Franklin / RJF + Redding + Moala(who we resigned) + Nevis + Rico + Guy + the other dude we picked up in FA like int he middle of the season.   and i woudlnt rule out a DE draft day yet.

no no no i agree i dont think we are using RJF at ALL at NT..my point was that it seems too many NT and i thougth given RJF versatility we would only carry 2 NT.

That's very possible, but that will all take shape toward the end of training camp. Given the way our defensive linemen have been getting hurt the past few years, I don't think we can ever have enough. I wouldn't mind keeping AJ at this point, just so long as he's not our primary option at nose tackle. He's serviceable as depth and for camp, at the very least.

certanly... im only saying it looks like way too many bodies for 1 position...actually the whole DL is stacked...

Mckinney, tevaseau (who we tendered btw), Chapman, Franklin / RJF + Redding + Moala(who we resigned) + Nevis + Rico + Guy + the other dude we picked up in FA like int he middle of the season. and i woudlnt rule out a DE draft day yet.

Clifton Geathers?

That's very possible, but that will all take shape toward the end of training camp. Given the way our defensive linemen have been getting hurt the past few years, I don't think we can ever have enough. I wouldn't mind keeping AJ at this point, just so long as he's not our primary option at nose tackle. He's serviceable as depth and for camp, at the very least.

mmm I thought Aj was a free agent i guess not.

LOL yeah, neither did anyone else before they did. Always thought that was such a silly thing to say in support of a position.

Your first point being dismissed out of hand, why can't he beat them out?

Neither is Andrew Luck....it is the off-season.

LOL why?

Anyway, Chapman was the starting DT on a BCS National Championship Team that held their undefeated opponents...scoreless. And was part of a defensive unit that led the nation in rush defense (72.2 ypg), total defense (183.6 ypg) and scoring defense (8.2 ppg) as a senior. Absent his surgery (for a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus) he is a day 1 starter. And barring significant problems with his recovery, there is nothing to suggest he won't be when he is cleared.

It would appear that Coach Pagano agrees...

Ok, I'm a big Chap fan like yourself (and Pags) but we will see how it goes.  I hope I am wrong and he is the next big thing to come into the league and he becomes a huge steal for us.  I know what he did at Alabama and I know he played hurt, but will he just be able to step right in and adjust to the NFL speed of play when he hasn't played a down in the NFL?  QB's are different because they have been groomed mentally to the point they are NFL ready before their senior year.  Positions like NT have a harder time because when they hit the NFL, they play bigger, faster, and smarter lineman.  The DL and OL positions are the ONLY positions in the NFL where contact happens EVERY down.  Unless you're the next big thing (which I hope Chap is) it will take time to get used to that.

But I hope you and Chap prove me wrong.  

I would be shocked if healthy if he doesn't prove you wrong

I guess I'm in the minority here. lol.  I'm just realist, and history/percentages and all that other crap says that most NT's/DT's come out of college on fire.  And that's for healthy ones, we're dealing with a guy who has recovered from playing on a bum knee.  I'm just looking at the chances.  He has more stuff going against him then for him.  I'm not saying there's not a chance he becomes our starter this year because the work ethic and motor is there, but this early for him to be our starter on opening day, kind of a longshot to me.

Some of the NT coming out of college are not true NTs IMO this kid is,and you are entitled to your opinion,its not a big deal,Lol you probably may be in the minority,no big deal,you like the kid and you will support him,im basing on things ive seen staff say,they are high on him,and what ive seen myself,this kid if healthy will be a force if he starts or not :thmup:

Some of the NT coming out of college are not true NTs IMO this kid is,and you are entitled to your opinion,its not a big deal,Lol you probably may be in the minority,no big deal,you like the kid and you will support him,im basing on things ive seen staff say,they are high on him,and what ive seen myself,this kid if healthy will be a force if he starts or not :thmup:

Oh yeah, I'm high on him too just like the staff, but I haven't heard the staff say they believe he'll be our starter this year.  If that was the case, we wouldn't have brought in Franklin and kept a rotation of Chap/Mckinney/Tevasu.  I agree totally with Pags and the staff, this kid is special and will become special, it's just when is what got me thinking.