Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree in principles with NT Aubrayo Franklin

MTC

Mike Mayock compared Chapman to Casey Hampton he would have been a 2nd round pick if he was healthy.  This is a deep draft of NT's and for us to pass up on one of them indicates to me of how great Grigson thinks Chapman will be.

I've said this before, I watched him play a lot.  A few times in person.  He was a nice college player, but he was no game changer.  He didn't make anyone forget Terrence Cody.  I admire the fact that he played through injury.

Given all that, I don't think anyone would consider him the starter in waiting at NT for the Colts.  Even if he wasn't injured, and selected in the 2nd round, you still can't say he'd be the starter.  

We simply don't know what he bring to the table right now.  I hope he turns out to be an all pro and starts for us for years, but I want to see the guy play one game in the NFL before I (or any of our coaches) would consider him our #1 NT.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard for me to excited about a defensive player from the Chargers but I'm pleased with the sign looking forward to see who will start this season. This also leads me to think we definitely don't have the money for the "whopper" receiver now.. 

I was feeling a draft of Jessie Williams...not so much now.  I love the big guy though....

Some guys on here have complained that Chapman is not big enough to play NT...Franklin is the exact same size...To me...the fire-plug is the best NT....love the leverage that commands/demands the double team!!!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

I feel that Grigson once again is making it unequivocally clear that it will BPA .....very very interesting.  

So where the heck is this WR Mr Irsay......or is it Mr. Hearsay?  :)

wth? Chapman + Franklin + Tevaseau + Mckinney...way 2 many people for NT

since RJF can play DE and NT, I thought we would only carry 2 NT.

Chapman and McKinney are coming off injury and did not play a snap last year.

Tevaseau is well Tevaseau.

I'd say the addition of Franklin is a wise and solid move.  With the tendency of Colts big fatties to end up injured...you can never have too much beef on our line. 

If Grigs had signed Victor Butler instead of Walden, or Walden to a context he deserves, this FA would get an A++++

That may be a good argument, except that Erik Walden had better stats last yr. than Butler and Walden was brought in to play strong side.

That may be a good argument, except that Erik Walden had better stats last yr. than Butler and Walden was brought in to play strong side.

I am going to play wait and see on this one too....I need convincing from seeing Walden play for my own eyes.  Apparently Pagano likes how he plays.  Chuck knows a little bit more about the 3-4 than a forum of 'many.'  :)  Walden has talked a good game since signed...time to put the pads on brother!!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

I am going to play wait and see on this one too....I need convincing from seeing Walden play for my own eyes.  Apparently Pagano likes how he plays.  Chuck knows a little bit more about the 3-4 than a forum of 'many.'   :)  Walden has talked a good game since signed...time to put the pads on brother!!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

That's what I'm doing too Brent. A little tired of people criticizing the signings though to be honest. Just take a wait and see approach and if a couple don't work out, gripe about it next season. People have nothing to base their gripes off of right now though, except they just want to be able to point back at this stuff later and say, "I told ya so". Everybody wants to be right, even if it's at the expense of the players not working out, and that mentality is crazy to me.

I am going to play wait and see on this one too....I need convincing from seeing Walden play for my own eyes.  Apparently Pagano likes how he plays.  Chuck knows a little bit more about the 3-4 than a forum of 'many.'   :)  Walden has talked a good game since signed...time to put the pads on brother!!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

Right on Brother time to talk by what ya put on the field,by the way the argument Chapmans to small is ludicrous IMO,but we have deffinately added depth,cant wait for the draft,should be intriguing to say the least,what will they go after.I do like Jesse Williams as well

Walden also had 8 more starts (which despite what some may say I believe helps a player tremendously because they are able to get into the flow of  a game and not just a few plays here and there rotating in and out). Butler had 3 sacks and 25 tackles starting 1 game to Waldens 46 tackles and 3 sacks. I dont think he was brought here for sacks or containment, I think he was brought in to drop back into short zones as a rotational OLB 

That's what I'm doing too Brent. A little tired of people criticizing the signings though to be honest. Just take a wait and see approach and if a couple don't work out, gripe about it next season. People have nothing to base their gripes off of right now though, except they just want to be able to point back at this stuff later and say, "I told ya so". Everybody wants to be right, even if it's at the expense of the players not working out, and that mentality is crazy to me.

I am laughing out loud....I know I critique and analyze the moves, but I will be the first to laugh if I was wrong on something.  No "I told ya so's needed!! ;) (Is Itoldyaso....Tevaseau's brother?)  :lol:

This signing really has me wondering about the draft now....that pick at 24 is 'riveting!!'  

I would say who i think....but I do not want someone saying....."I told ya so."   :spit:

I was feeling a draft of Jessie Williams...not so much now.  I love the big guy though....

Some guys on here have complained that Chapman is not big enough to play NT...Franklin is the exact same size...To me...the fire-plug is the best NT....love the leverage that commands/demands the double team!!!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

I feel that Grigson once again is making it unequivocally clear that it will BPA .....very very interesting.  

So where the heck is this WR Mr Irsay......or is it Mr. Hearsay?   :)

I still wouldn't rule out Williams if he's there (I think he can play 5 tech as well as NT); but now, we're in the much better position of not being screwed if he and the other DE prospects are gone by our pick. I'd love for the D-line to turn from a weakness to a strength in just one offseason of revamping.

I'm a fan of Chapman, but we also have to keep in mind he's coming off a major rehab and hasn't gotten the chance to prove anything at the NFL level. More depth at NT was a must- and if Chapman turns into the player we're hoping he will, that's a heck of a bonus. 

Walden also had 8 more starts (which despite what some may say I believe helps a player tremendously because they are able to get into the flow of  a game and not just a few plays here and there rotating in and out). Butler had 3 sacks and 25 tackles starting 1 game to Waldens 46 tackles and 3 sacks. I dont think he was brought here for sacks or containment, I think he was brought in to drop back into short zones as a rotational OLB 

Good post Gavin...other than he HAS to contain.  There will be times in various disguises he will not, but when Pagano said he likes the way he 'sets the edge' he was not fooling around.  Walden and Mathis have got to do a better job of containing.  This defense HAS GOT to stop the run....thus the RJF signing...and this one too.  More to come?  Heck yes!!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

I still wouldn't rule out Williams if he's there (I think he can play 5 tech as well as NT); but now, we're in the much better position of not being screwed if he and the other DE prospects are gone by our pick. I'd love for the D-line to turn from a weakness to a strength in just one offseason of revamping.

I'm a fan of Chapman, but we also have to keep in mind he's coming off a major rehab and hasn't gotten the chance to prove anything at the NFL level. More depth at NT was a must- and if Chapman turns into the player we're hoping he will, that's a heck of a bonus. 

He supposedly is the most 'disruptive' in the 5 tech Hans....I tend to agree with this assessment...Agreed !!!  Not going to sack the daylights out of anyone....he will hold up 2.5 men :)

I am laughing out loud....I know I critique and analyze the moves, but I will be the first to laugh if I was wrong on something.  No "I told ya so's needed!! ;) (Is Itoldyaso....Tevaseau's brother?)  :lol:

This signing really has me wondering about the draft now....that pick at 24 is 'riveting!!'  

I would say who i think....but I do not want someone saying....."I told ya so."   :spit:

I don't have any problem with critiquing or analyzing, I get tired of the over paying nonsense and people making negative statements on players without any basis for it. I honestly believe people see one person post something, then others jump onboard repeating it over and over and they don't have a clue what they're talking about. I'm all for open critiquing and analyzing though, people should just have a basis behind their statements.

Good post Gavin...other than he HAS to contain.  There will be times in various disguises he will not, but when Pagano said he likes the way he 'sets the edge' he was not fooling around.  Walden and Mathis have got to do a better job of containing.  This defense HAS GOT to stop the run....thus the RJF signing...and this one too.  More to come?  Heck yes!!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Oh I know that will be a big part of his responsibilites but also applying pressure on the QB will to, Thats why I would have rather went after Spencer or Kruger and paid more because they are simply the better all around talent at this point

IMO Mathis and Walden may have one of the toughest positions to play,they have to contain seal the edges pass rush as well as be able to drop in coverage.Tall order indeed if you ask me

Oh I know that will be a big part of his responsibilites but also applying pressure on the QB will to, Thats why I would have rather went after Spencer or Kruger and paid more because they are simply the better all around talent at this point

Without question we have to bring the heat from both sides....and everywhere in between...would love to see Conner blast a QB

We have Walden...not Spencer or Kruger...I wanted them too...lets see how the young man reacts with guidance from The feisty one...Chuck Pagano!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Without question we have to bring the heat from both sides....and everywhere in between...would love to see Conner blast a QB

We have Walden...not Spencer or Kruger...I wanted them too...lets see how the young man reacts with guidance from The feisty one...Chuck Pagano!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

The players we brought in on defense  were slammed pretty hard either we payed to much or there stats prove there not talented or what ever . For me it is all about what Coach Pagano can do with these guys regardless of there past's they are the pieces he wanted IMO . I can't wait to see this defense take the field & I have as always high hopes that we'll field a defense that can finally stop the run on a consistent basis .