Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Jets hire Tom Moore as consultant

bayone

Moore, 72, an NFL lifer best known as Peyton Manning's longtime guru in Indianapolis, was offered a job last month after visiting the Jets' facility for a speaking engagement. Early in the lockout, Rex Ryan decided to bring in guest speakers, and one of them was Moore, who spoke to Jets coaches on a variety of offensive topics, namely red-zone efficiency -- a problem last season for the Jets.

"Rex and I go way back," Moore said Thursday, according to the New York Post. "We've had some great games against each other. I just have so much respect for Rex and his staff and the organization. When he made the offer, I couldn't refuse it."

& I THOUGHT COLTS SAID HE WANTED TO RETIRE< YET LIKE MUDD HE GOES FOR ANOTHER JOB

THOUGH

Moore will be working during the season from his home in South Carolina, breaking down tape and offering suggestions. He may make a cameo in training camp.

This arrangement isn't that unusual. For instance, the Jets employed retired offensive-line coach Jim McNally last season as a consultant. He worked from his home outside Buffalo and studied tape every day from practice, offering ideas to line coach Bill Callahan.

"I want to keep involved in the game," Moore said, according to the Post. "I'm 72 years young. I want to keep involved. This gives me a chance. I have such great respect for Rex and his staff and the organization. It's great."

Didnt Colts Say he wanted Retirement & not stay involved ??

My link

I think he left b/c Christenson is the offensive coordinator, not Tom. It's too bad because he's such a great coordinator, who played a crucial part in "creating" Peyton,

WE still v could of used him in this same capacity & there was that weird issue with age & years worked and retirement that forced him to become consultant, should have demoted Clyde after last year and rehired Tom, who knows if that would of been allowed, why don't we add that to the CBA ( lol )

He was cast off by our sideline paperweight caldwell because of his inability to call a poorly placed timeout. If he had called a timeout before Peyton threw the go ahead to Reggie in the 4th and 2 game nullifying the play, and Peyton had been picked off on the second attempt caldwell wouldn't let him leave... That has to be it.

Same HAS to be true of Gene Huey, too.... It all makes sense now.

We don't want great coaches. We want the "caldwell and friends" show on our sideline :hissy: ...

He was cast off by our sideline paperweight caldwell because of his inability to call a poorly placed timeout. If he had called a timeout before Peyton threw the go ahead to Reggie in the 4th and 2 game nullifying the play, and Peyton had been picked off on the second attempt caldwell wouldn't let him leave... That has to be it.

Same HAS to be true of Gene Huey, too.... It all makes sense now.

We don't want great coaches. We want the "caldwell and friends" show on our sideline :hissy: ...

]

great reply

I agree. It feels creepy.

Just not cool

haha rex ryan always praises Peyton for studying the most int he NFL....now it seems that Rex is trying to "out-study" Peyton by getting every advantage he can...including getting Peyton's old mentor.

I think he left b/c Christenson is the offensive coordinator, not Tom. It's too bad because he's such a great coordinator, who played a crucial part in "creating" Peyton,

creating peyton manning? more like the other way around. i respect tom moore, but his resume wasn't that impressive before he hitched his wagon to peyton.

creating peyton manning? more like the other way around. i respect tom moore, but his resume wasn't that impressive before he hitched his wagon to peyton.

You're telling me he didn't play a part in Peyton's development; Peyton only called him a "mentor" and is known as the "mad scientist". He was a great OC in Detroit, he really he develope Herman Moore into one of the best receivers of that era. The rushing game during his tenure was great, and Barry Sanders numbers skyrocketed, for example in 93' he had 1150 yards, in 94' he had 1850 yards, 1600 yards in 95', and 1500 yards in 96'. He 's a great OC who truly helped make Peyton who he is today, and was a good OC beforehand in Detroit.

You're telling me he didn't play a part in Peyton's development; Peyton only called him a "mentor" and is known as the "mad scientist". He was a great OC in Detroit, he really he develope Herman Moore into one of the best receivers of that era. The rushing game during his tenure was great, and Barry Sanders numbers skyrocketed, for example in 93' he had 1150 yards, in 94' he had 1850 yards, 1600 yards in 95', and 1500 yards in 96'. He 's a great OC who truly helped make Peyton who he is today, and was a good OC beforehand in Detroit.

of course he had a hand...it's just colts fans act like the guy is don coryell or bill walsh. there was even ridiculous talk from colt fans about him going to the hall of fame.

i understand he had a good run with a mediocre detroit team in the 90's, but imo his overall resume isn't that impressive. let's face it, if he retired after his stint with the saints he would have probably been forgotten by most.

of course he had a hand...it's just colts fans act like the guy is don coryell or bill walsh. there was even ridiculous talk from colt fans about him going to the hall of fame.

i understand he had a good run with a mediocre detroit team in the 90's, but imo his overall resume isn't that impressive. let's face it, if he retired after his stint with the saints he would have probably been forgotten by most.

I agree, he would have been forgotten if he retired before joining the Colts, and I'm making him sound like a bill walsh, I'm saying he was a pretty big part of his developement and the learning of the offense. We all know how bad Jim Mora was, so he couldn't really help Peyton, Moore taught him the system, I remember reading an article a couple of years back. Also, I don't think Moore should go in the H.O.F.

People seem to forget Bruce Arians. He was Peyton's first QB coach when he entered the league and had a large part in making Peyton who he is.

This really bites, another coach leaving to join another team...and it just had to be the Jets.

Just proves to me that Rex and the Jets will do anything to learn everything they can about Peyton but don't think this will work. They may have lost a bunch of money by doing this but oh well we'll see.

I am disappointed to see him go but there is probably more to the whole reason he left that we will never know. We can speculate all we want but one never knows what happened. :banana:

Rex is a slick :wacko: :wacko: his offense will benifit from Moores ideas, also if they have the pleasure of playing us again Moore will be able to point out what we are trying to do, and calls that peyton makes at the line, very ticked to say the least

Rex is a slick :wacko: :wacko: his offense will benifit from Moores ideas, also if they have the pleasure of playing us again Moore will be able to point out what we are trying to do, and calls that peyton makes at the line, very ticked to say the least

I don't like it either but don't underestimate Peyton he will change things up for sure. He's smarter than Tom Moore on that. He is probably thinking about changes to be made after he heard this. :FBrolleyes:

Hopefully Moore will make the Jets O-line play like our O-line has played in the last couple of years...

You can have all the great coaches/consultants you want, but players need to execute. I'm still not sold on Sanchez, he hasn't made huge leaps since coming into the league and the rookie-to-second-year transition is usually the biggest leap

Hopefully Moore will make the Jets O-line play like our O-line has played in the last couple of years...

You can have all the great coaches/consultants you want, but players need to execute. I'm still not sold on Sanchez, he hasn't made huge leaps since coming into the league and the rookie-to-second-year transition is usually the biggest leap

Sanchez is an up &b down player, can have great game then horrible one, hasnt shown true consistency yet

All of the doom & gloomers on here....ridiculous. Forget this & let's be concerned with what we do. Period.

Hats off to Moore though for finding a sucker someone to pay him 20K/hr. on the NFL equivalent lecture circuit. Last year the Jets barely beat us, this under the circumstances of the season which we're all familiar with. I relish this opportunity, most particularly with all the Rex Ryan smack talk. Truth is, the Colts are better than the Jets when healthy and I'll take that bet all day long. Love the footage of Rex Ryan looking on from the sidelines over the years cursing Manning.

All of the doom & gloomers on here....ridiculous. Forget this & let's be concerned with what we do. Period.

Hats off to Moore though for finding a sucker someone to pay him 20K/hr. on the NFL equivalent lecture circuit. Last year the Jets barely beat us, this under the circumstances of the season which we're all familiar with. I relish this opportunity, most particularly with all the Rex Ryan smack talk. Truth is, the Colts are better than the Jets when healthy and I'll take that bet all day long. Love the footage of Rex Ryan looking on from the sidelines over the years cursing Manning.

"If you make one mistake against this guy, he just burns your ***"

"If you make one mistake against this guy, he just burns your ***"

That's the one.

The Jets are still gonna have to line up & stop it....which ain't gonna happen if we're healthy. It's not like what we do is top secrect. It's not. The language of the audibles is the only thing potentially needing to be changed & that's no big deal.....just like stealing signs in baseball and that's easily remedied. The first playoff game, they were good for thirty minutes at best and nowhere near having enough in the tank. Second time around we were severely handicapped = thirty minute compensation. This year will be different if we meet again, Tom Moore or no.

That's the one.

The Jets are still gonna have to line up & stop it....which ain't gonna happen if we're healthy. It's not like what we do is top secrect. It's not. The language of the audibles is the only thing potentially needing to be changed & that's no big deal.....just like stealing signs in baseball and that's easily remedied. The first playoff game, they were good for thirty minutes at best and nowhere near having enough in the tank. Second time around we were severely handicapped = thirty minute compensation. This year will be different if we meet again, Tom Moore or no.

Coaches can coach all they want, it's up to the players to execute. And so far, I am not sold on Sanchez being a solid QB in this league.

Agree.

He was extremely shaky in the playoffs agsinst us last year. If we were in better shape/healthier last year we'd have been able to exploit that.

He has been extremely shaky all of his career. He will go out and have an awesome game against the Pats, then have a bad game against the Dolphins. He is too inconsistent

Why wasnt Tom offered a similar position here in indy like the job the Jets gave him. I dont like the fact he knows the Colts as well as anyone and now he is working for another elite AFC team. This to me was the worst off season blunder this year.

Why wasnt Tom offered a similar position here in indy like the job the Jets gave him. I dont like the fact he knows the Colts as well as anyone and now he is working for another elite AFC team. This to me was the worst off season blunder this year.

I was under the impression that the Colts had wanted him to stay, but he retired. What he did after that was his business, though I agree it would have been better for him to stay in Indy.

He has been extremely shaky all of his career. He will go out and have an awesome game against the Pats, then have a bad game against the Dolphins. He is too inconsistent

agreed, i think overall Sanchez is a little better than some think . . . but his is shaky and up and down as you have indicated . . . the Jets were solid last year but did have a few games, Detriot and Houston particularly, that could of gone the otherway and they would of had 2 Ls instead of 2 Ws from those 2 games . . .

Moore should help somewhat, but it will probably be a work in progress and take Sanchez a few seasons to improve . . .