Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL talks about changing Pro Bowl?

turner46992

They are wanting to change the way the teams are made up. By selecting 2 team captains and having the captains choose there players from the league, No more split conferences, just players picking players...I actually like the Idea or at least try it for a year and see how it works out. Might be interesting, and it i think it will change the teams names, logos, uniforms, colors everything, cant really be an AFC team if Peyton manning chooses, Adrain peterson as his Rb and Calvin johnson as his wr, with Patrick peterson as his corner....I mean i would think those things would change right?  here is the link feel free to share your input,    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151830/article/pro-bowls-future-a-topic-of-discussion-at-nfl-annual-meeting

I would like to see something change about the Pro Bowl. I usually watch it for about 3 minutes and then I realize why I don't watch the rest of it, but it is nice to see players get recognized. I just wish there weren't so many 'name' votes.

They should just make two 'All Conference' teams, and have coaches, players, and NFL scouts vote. They also need to do something about the OLB/DE thing. It's dumb that they play a 4-3 and have two edge rushers playing OLB that drop into coverage. Not that it matters, just something that bugs me. I'd have 5 edge rushers, 6 coverage LBs, and 5 interior linemen.

I'd like to see the coaches and GMs pick the players and pool them. Then, for the fans, I'd have them vote from that pool for captains. The top two vote getters, regardless of conference and position, would pick their teams, kind of like the new Rising Stars game (rookie challenge) in the NBA.

Just bring back the dang skill challenges, but put them in a prime time slot on the Saturday before like the NBA All star weekend.

This is the truth right here.

There is so much potential for the Pro Bowl.  They could make it such a great experience for both players and fans.  Get some 5 on 5 flag football going; 1 former player, 1 current player, and 3 fans on each team and get like 8-10 teams going.  Let the fans talk and mingle with the players.  Let the fans play catch with the QBs and WRs.  Let some fans try to play DB on the WRs and let some fans try to play WR and beat some NFL DBs.  There is so much potential!

There is so much potential for the Pro Bowl. They could make it such a great experience for both players and fans. Get some 5 on 5 flag football going; 1 former player, 1 current player, and 3 fans on each team and get like 8-10 teams going. Let the fans talk and mingle with the players. Let the fans play catch with the QBs and WRs. Let some fans try to play DB on the WRs and let some fans try to play WR and beat some NFL DBs. There is so much potential!

That's what the NFL has lost. As much as the Pro bowl is a celebration for the players, it's also suppose to be a celebration for the fans. One last chance to see their favorite players from the past season line up one more time.

They need to bring the entertainment back. Like do a pass punt and kick contest with players, but have every contestant doing something that isn't in their position. Like a kicker would throw, QB would punt, and a defender would try to kick a field goal lol.

I dunno I just feel like fans want to see players having fun and interacting.

That's what the NFL has lost. As much as the Pro bowl is a celebration for the players, it's also suppose to be a celebration for the fans. One last chance to see their favorite players from the past season line up one more time.

They need to bring the entertainment back. Like do a pass punt and kick contest with players, but have ever contestant doing something that isn't in their position. Like a kicker would throw, QB would punt, and a defender would try to kick a field goal lol.

I dunno I just feel like fans want to see players having fun and interacting.

I think they should make it about the fans completely.  I think it's ridiculous how the players get $50 000 if they win.  They are already making millions.  Why not give that money to a charity or use it to reduce ticket prices or something like that?  And I think the NFL could use it as a great opportunity to show the fans that their efforts are appreciated.  Let's be honest here.  The economy still isn't all that great, many people are in bad situations, etc. but ticket prices and merchandise prices are still high.  Show the fans you care by letting them interact with the players.  Donate the money to a charity or use it to make tickets and merchandise cheaper.  Does a player getting $10 mil really need another $50 grand?

There is so much potential for the Pro Bowl.  They could make it such a great experience for both players and fans.  Get some 5 on 5 flag football going; 1 former player, 1 current player, and 3 fans on each team and get like 8-10 teams going.  Let the fans talk and mingle with the players.  Let the fans play catch with the QBs and WRs.  Let some fans try to play DB on the WRs and let some fans try to play WR and beat some NFL DBs.  There is so much potential!

How would you select the people who get to do this?  You are going to have everyone from a 5 ft. nothing 90 lb 12 year old girl to a 300 lb fat dudes who are at risk for heart attack by even attempting to run.  

It would be difficult to get people to watch for too long.  Think about having a 12 year old girl trying to defend Calvin Johnson.  He might as well be playing catch with no one there.  

Not that many could defend against Calvin Johnson but it would be nice to have someone there that would make it appear as though he's actually kind of trying. . . a little.  

The other problem I see is getting players who actually want to go to the pro-bowl now.  I get the feeling that those who do go just like to be there to hang out with other NFL players in Hawaii.  How many of them are going to want to go there to hang out with fans. . . for free.  They probably have a hard enough time getting away from fans.  

How would you select the people who get to do this?  You are going to have everyone from a 5 ft. nothing 90 lb 12 year old girl to a 300 lb fat dudes who are at risk for heart attack by even attempting to run.  

It would be difficult to get people to watch for too long.  Think about having a 12 year old girl trying to defend Calvin Johnson.  He might as well be playing catch with no one there.  

Not that many could defend against Calvin Johnson but it would be nice to have someone there that would make it appear as though he's actually kind of trying. . . a little.  

The other problem I see is getting players who actually want to go to the pro-bowl now.  I get the feeling that those who do go just like to be there to hang out with other NFL players in Hawaii.  How many of them are going to want to go there to hang out with fans. . . for free.  They probably have a hard enough time getting away from fans.  

I just had a few ideas.  The actual logistics would need to be figured out.  And of course, these are all just ideas, they might not have the potential to be successful or anything.  Not everyone could do it.  In fact, I doubt there are any fans who could defend Calvin Johnson, but I think a lot of people would try just for the fun of it.

I'm not exactly sure why some people hate watching the pro-bowl. It's not great football, but it's harmless fun, and it can be entertaining. Some seem offended by the lack of intensity, and want the game cancelled. If they don't like it they don't have to watch. That hardly necessitates cancelling the game. What I DON'T want to see is a star get injured in an exhibition. That's priority #1, and it's going to affect intensity.

I appreciate your trying to think of something different, but watching my next door neighbor chasing a pro athlete around a field isn't the answer either. THAT I don't want to watch. And the article is talking about something like what the NHL does - which while different, doesn't fundamentally change the aforementioned intensity issue. I don't see the point of "picking sides". That might be fun for the players, but it eliminates the inter-conference element which dates to the merger. That's hardly an improvement.

Long story short, I'm fine with adding skills competitions and any other odd thing that might add to the tv show, but I scratch my head every-time I hear the fundamental arguments against the game itself. The point is the vote the best players in and then to watch them have a little friendly competition in the sunshine - with an accent on long pass plays.  It doesn't have to have more meaning than that. The NBA has 150-149 all star games with the accent on dunks, the NHL has 12-11 all star games with the accent on shots and passes that you'd never normally see in a game. It's fun. Isn't that enough?

They used to have those Saturday afternoon Battle of the NFL Stars" (not sure the real title, but you likely know what I am talking about if you are over 40) where they'd do running, relays and other track style events, some actual football skills events and my all time favorite, they'd get two rival teams for tug of war and those battles would go on for more than an hour (they edited it all down for TV).  It was fun well beyond the Pro Bowl game.  I also like the idea of including some harmless events where specific team fans (of any age or athletic shape) could compete (pinball or bowling or razor kit fighting etc.) along side their favorite player from each team.  I bet people would LOVE to watch a 32 team tourney of guys playing Madden down to the Superbowl.  In fact, you could do that in place of the real game and it would be more enjoyable with more realistic action.  The product tie ins could be HUGE.  

They also used to have similar battles of Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey players (could add Golf, Tennis, Racing etc.) in events where the range of events would include the sports of the others but you had to sit out when your actual sport came up.  

All this kind of stuff could be done in a low injury/high fun and bragging rights list of events and folks would LOVE it.  Playing harder in a Pro Bowl is fine (certainly was better this year though an early blowout) but one serious knee injury of YOUR teams best player isn't worth the risk right? 

All those skill challenges stopped once a player got hurt playing on the sand.  They are never going to bring those back because no owner will want their player playing beach volleyball with some fans and then tear his knee up.  How many Colts fans would lose their mind if Luck tore his ACL doing some kind of relay race?  

I wish they would just get rid of the entire thing.  Fans just vote for their favorite players anyways ignoring the fact their favorite players are having a terrible year. The game of football just does not go well with an all star game.  

Just name the two all pro teams and then be done with it.

There are plenty of games that people could play with virtually no risk of injury that exceeds simply being alive in every day life.  I'd take having the best Madden players from each team play a season, have playoffs and then the Superbowl.  THAT would be danger free (unless someone got a thumb injury or hit by a thrown remote) and more fun (and relate-able) to most younger fans than what the game is now.  

Brian