Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Player Available positions

I think with the amount of moves we've made in the free agency the first draft pick truly has become best player available for some of the positions we want to upgrade.

Those positions are (in no particular order): WR, OG, DE, DT, OLB, ILB, CB, and S. 

Where we draft, these players are possibilities to be available.

WR: Keenan Allen, Tavon Austin, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter

OG: Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper (highly unlikely either of these two last to our pick but crazier things have happened, Justin Pugh

DE: Damontre Moore, Datone Jones, Bjoern Werner, Barkevious Mingo, Cornellius Carradine, Ezekiel Ansah, Margus Hunt, Sam Montgomery

DT: Jesse Williams, Kawann Short, Johnathan Hankins, Sylvester Williams, Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotolelei(his health risks could bring him towards our pick otherwise he's a top 5-10 talent)

OLB: Jamie Collins, Alec Ogletree

ILB: Kevin Minter, Arthur Brown, Manti Teo

CB: Desmond Trufant, Xavier Rhodes (Almost no chance he'll last this late), Jonathan Banks

S: Matt Elam, Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid

Theres other players also of these positions, the ones Ive listed are the ones that could warrant a first round pick. Some could be Top 15 talent, others are somewhat borderline first rounders.

That would be a horrible drafting strategy

Well going by your draft strategy what if Vaccarro falls to us who has a grade of 94 and Hunter grade of 90 we would draft Vaccarro just because he's a few points higher.We already have 2 great safeties, why would we do that makes no sense?

Well going by your draft strategy what if Vaccarro falls to us who has a grade of 94 and Hunter grade of 90 we would draft Vaccarro just because he's a few points higher.We already have 2 great safeties, why would we do that makes no sense?

How, when Betheas contract is up next year ? More cost efficient, and might be better  

Bethea is a pro bowl caliber safety and is only 28 he wouldn't cost as much as Landry.

What if  Bethea wants to test the market, or get paid like a probowler ? IMO bethea is only a little above average and i have posted the stats and my opinions to make a agruement. He could easily be replaced if we decide to go safety, More of a ballhawk guy, let landry play near the box.

So we draft Vaccarro to sit on the bench behind Bethea and Landry. I understand going for BPA but not when there are bigger needs like WR and LG. We would still have the money to pay Bethea next year because of the great rookie wage scale. Wouldn't have to pay Luck until year 4 by then Mathis,Redding,Wayne will all be gone clearing more cap space.

Bethea is good but if we had to he could probably be replaced especially in this draft where Safety is loaded, But no need to replace him, he had a good BUT not great year last year. I'd pick up a FS as an Undrafted FA by the name of Brandan Bishop, he is a ballhawk and a heavy hitter from NC State

And that's how the Blazers ended up with Sam Bowie instead of Micheal Jordan. What if grigson thinks Vaccaro is the next Ed Reed and all the available receivers are nothing more than solid starters?

And that's how the Blazers ended up with Sam Bowie instead of Micheal Jordan. What if grigson thinks Vaccaro is the next Ed Reed and all the available receivers are nothing more than solid starters?

That's also how the Blazers ended up with Oden instead of Durant. Oden was rated higher and they drafted him because of his great defense over Durant great offense. No matter if it's NBA,NFL,MLB,NHL, a great offense will always beat a great defense.

That's also how the Blazers ended up with Oden instead of Durant. Oden was rated higher and they drafted him because of his great defense over Durant great offense. No matter if it's NBA,NFL,MLB,NHL, a great offense will always beat a great defense.

Sorry,  but that sentence of yours that I put into bold is not true.

Justin Hunter is not ready to plug in and play decents number of snaps in the NFL, He's a lot like Brazil, a play here and there, he needs work but has potencial, he's a 2nd rounder.

We need a #2 receiver, not another "potencial" guy, we have some of those already (Kelley, Palmer, Brazil, Sambrano, Whalen) none of them caught an NFL pass yet(except Brazil), and I see Hopkins and Keenan Allen NFL ready, we can plug'em and be the #2 without a lot of pressure for 2 years and then become our #1 when Reggie decides to step away.

Now that the Vikes got Jennings i see one of these guys be available, Hopkins is solid, but Allen can be great, we have to see him in his pro day what he ran, if he's in the high 4.4's being 6'3, i'll take him.

I don't see the comparison....they took who they thought was the better player and because of knee problems he didn't work out.

If we go WR I want Hopkins. But I believe him and Allen will both be very good picks

Justin Hunter is not ready to plug in and play decents number of snaps in the NFL, He's a lot like Brazil, a play here and there, he needs work but has potencial, he's a 2nd rounder.

We need a #2 receiver, not another "potencial" guy, we have some of those already (Kelley, Palmer, Brazil, Sambrano, Whalen) none of them caught an NFL pass yet(except Brazil), and I see Hopkins and Keenan Allen NFL ready, we can plug'em and be the #2 without a lot of pressure for 2 years and then become our #1 when Reggie decides to step away.

Now that the Vikes got Jennings i see one of these guys be available, Hopkins is solid, but Allen can be great, we have to see him in his pro day what he ran, if he's in the high 4.4's being 6'3, i'll take him.

I don't see any good enough guards to use the pick on, assuming Warmack and Cooper are gone...

Same goes for OLB... (although pass rushers are always an option)

We don't need a DE (we have plenty of depth guys on the roster)

We don't need an ILB... ( we have a solid rotation there)

We need another corner for depth.. (but it doesn't have to be a first round guy) Same with safety..

I honestly think we are going to take one of the tall, quick receivers that seem to be hanging around the bottom of the first and the top of the second in most mocks... The big question is whether or not other teams will overdraft skill position players, which might mean a stud drops to us....

I do think that we should go BPA... we could use depth at many positions and could stand to get younger at several others (DE, Rush LB, WR) 

Right now it looks like of the 5 best players that will be available to us, 3 of them will be wideouts... I'm happy with our FA signings and really feel as though Grigson has the option to take whoever is at the top of his board... I just really want this WCO hybrid deal to work out so I am pulling for a mauling guard and an outside receiver to really round out the offense..

Its probably not in the cards, but I'd also (in light of our FA moves) like to see a pass-catching RB come to Indy.. Le'veon Bell seems like a perfect fit, but RB is a position that the FO is probably pretty comfortable with..