Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teams Warned About Faking Injuries

Coltssouth

Nice attempt at trolling :rolleyes: but get your facts straight.

:rolleyes:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/10/pereira-says-emphasis-on-illegal-contact-didnt-seem-logical/

"Among other things, Pereira talked about the renewed emphasis that was placed in the middle of the last decade on the rule regarding illegal contact with receivers. Pereira made it clear that Colts president Bill Polian, a long-time member of the Competition Committee, pushed the issue due to the perception/reality that Patriots defensive backs were manhandling Indianapolis receivers."

I still remember Willie McGinest pulling that crap and then running around celebrating. :angry:

Me too... which is why us Pats fans should tread lightly on this subject! But in fairness, Willie Mac's "injury" in that game wasn't as blatant as Deon Grant's European soccer player impression last weekend. That dude went down like he took a bullet.

I agree with the suggestion that any player who is injured and causes a stoppage of play (when his team has no timeouts remaining) should have to sit out for the remainder of that series, at least.

Finally, someone that agrees with me :).

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I realize some injuries (getting the wind knocked out of you, cramping up, etc) are temporary in nature. But your idea would mean: 1) That no one goes overboard and "blows off" real injuries that take place, and 2) That guys would think twice before doing a swan dive.

for me, I am glad the NFL has taken the first step in curtailing the fooliness of the fake injury . . . to me it is cheap and shows a low level of character, if you are not man enough to win the game fair and square, then stay off the field . . . if you want to stop the game to get a breather, then call a timeout like the teams do in basketball (altho they do have more TOs, but are mostly called to stop momentum).

This type of fooliness does not happen alot, but when it does it is a problem . . . I do know that in last year's playoff game between the J-E-T-S and Pats no less than THREE times did a jet go down as the pats where driving and it even got the ire of the announcer who indicated on the 2nd and 3rd attempt to "see how long the player will be out" . . . it got so bad that on the 3rd attempt (Bart Scott), the player was on the ground and one leg came in contact with a patriot . . . he missing only one play, is shown laughing on the side lines and the trainer working on the wrong leg, that one that did not come in contact with the patriot . . i am mean really? if you want to fake it make sure you use the correct leg . . . all three pats drives stall after the injury, true, you still needs to execute, but such execution is difficult to do once the defense has had time to regroup . . .

for me there are a few ways to nip this in the butt,

1) Yank draft picks from the team, period, no messing around, make an example of one team and drop the hammer . . . one of the best ways to deter another is through the use/threat of force, and if teams fear that they will loose a draft pick, you will not see many more fake injuries and the intergity of the game will be in tact . . . this will really only take one or two enforcments . . .

2) As some have said, keep the player off the field for more than one play, perhaps a series or two, or like in soccer, leave it up to the descretion of the official when the player can come back onto the field (so it could be from one to a handful of plays), i prefer the former as it does not get the official involved . . . so as to not "hinder" the offense as perhaps they would not want to stop the clock and thus all injuries are "real" on the offensive side of the ball, limit the sanction to just defensive players

3) Perhaps add more timeouts to the game, so team could use a time out or two like in basketball to stop the momentun . . . maybe limit the extra TOs to "injury TOs" and keep the three regular TOs, so a team could have the normal 3 TOs and 1 or 2 injury TOs that can only be used in the case of an injury . . .

my two cents . . .

for me, I am glad the NFL has taken the first step in curtailing the fooliness of the fake injury . . . to me it is cheap and shows a low level of character, if you are not man enough to win the game fair and square, then stay off the field . . . if you want to stop the game to get a breather, then call a timeout like the teams do in basketball (altho they do have more TOs, but are mostly called to stop momentum).

This type of fooliness does not happen alot, but when it does it is a problem . . . I do know that in last year's playoff game between the J-E-T-S and Pats no less than THREE times did a jet go down as the pats where driving and it even got the ire of the announcer who indicated on the 2nd and 3rd attempt to "see how long the player will be out" . . . it got so bad that on the 3rd attempt (Bart Scott), the player was on the ground and one leg came in contact with a patriot . . . he missing only one play, is shown laughing on the side lines and the trainer working on the wrong leg, that one that did not come in contact with the patriot . . i am mean really? if you want to fake it make sure you use the correct leg . . . all three pats drives stall after the injury, true, you still needs to execute, but such execution is difficult to do once the defense has had time to regroup . . .

1) Yank draft picks from the team, period, no messing around, make an example of one team and drop the hammer . . . one of the best ways to deter another is through the use/threat of force, and if teams fear that they will loose a draft pick, you will not see many more fake injuries and the intergity of the game will be in tact . . . this will really only take one or two enforcments . . .

2) As some have said, keep the player off the field for more than one play, perhaps a series or two, or like in soccer, leave it up to the descretion of the official when the player can come back onto the field (so it could be from one to a handful of plays), i prefer the former as it does not get the official involved . . . so as to not "hinder" the offense as perhaps they would not want to stop the clock and thus all injuries are "real" on the offensive side of the ball, limit the sanction to just defensive players

3) Perhaps add more timeouts to the game, so team could use a time out or two like in basketball to stop the momentun . . . maybe limit the extra TOs to "injury TOs" and keep the three regular TOs, so a team could have the normal 3 TOs and 1 or 2 injury TOs that can only be used in the case of an injury . . .

my two cents . . .

option 2. make 'em sit the rest of the series. that's fine if you're gonna go down to stop the no huddle, but you're not coming back on the field until next series.

no way on option 3. using an injury timeout on offense bc you're out of regular timeouts. "tom brady is down holding his ankle. injury timeout patriots with 10 seconds left. oh, he's back in. TD to gronk, pats win!!!"

option 2. make 'em sit the rest of the series. that's fine if you're gonna go down to stop the no huddle, but you're not coming back on the field until next series.

Yep, I agree. Teams then will wait till the 3rd down of a series at a goal line to fake it so that they still have to be out for only 1 down. That is why I proposed 3 downs or a change of possession, whichever comes first. Let me add one more to it - 3 downs or a first down or a change of possession, whichever comes first. That makes sure the player is not going back in for that series of downs, regardless of whenever he decided to fake it.

no way on option 3. using an injury timeout on offense bc you're out of regular timeouts. "tom brady is down holding his ankle. injury timeout patriots with 10 seconds left. oh, he's back in. TD to gronk, pats win!!!"

yes for the most part it is difficult to establish a rule that work in all cases . . . the present rules allow for teams to get extra timeouts, which would typically help the defense more often than helping the offense . . . the offense case always slow things down if they want a TO, whilst the defense needs to take a knee, if you will . . .

similarly, if one institutes a flat accross the board penatly to all players, then if TB goes down requiring a official timeout, and has to sit out one or two series, then it is a bigger impact than a defensive player . . . so with a flat accross the board rule, the offense would potentially be more hurt by it . . .

as for the offense wanting to gain a TOs to stop, I am not sure how often presently a offensive player takes a dive to stop the clock late in the game . . . also, not a 100% on this but I thought there was a rule that said that 10 secs are run off on a false start or offensive injury within the last 2 mins of a half or game . . . i could be wrong . . .

You guys are putting way to much thought into this. Its been this way forever. Offenses have adapted to it. So leave things alone. Rule changes almost always hurt the sport more than better it. Look at Nascar. They've destroyed that sport. Keep wanting the NFL to implement all these rules every time something happens that you don't agree with and the NFL will die just as Nascar has.

agree.

Now we got the review rule in the endzone which now takes away some of the strategy of the red flag challenge..not to mention boring waiting for the call. So the refs or coach might miss a challenge once in awhile.

Not like they can completely stop the no huddle anyway. Can't go down on every play lol

Simple solution; when a player has an injury resulting in clock stoppage, the team has three options:

1- call a time-out

2- take a "delay of game" penalty

3- ask the referee for an "official(injury) time-out"

If the coach wants the official to call time-out, the injured player can't return to the field for a specified amout of time (eg. one series, two series, 7 minutes of game time, 10 minutes of game time)

This would take the onus of determining if a player is "faking" out of the hands of the refs because all of the "injured" players (whether they are faking or not) are treated the same.

I'm not sure what the injury timeout rules are, but something definitely needs to be done. With regard to those Giants players who dropped to the astro turf, I haven't seen acting that bad outside a Keanu Reeves movie. And then to hear one of the Giants' players try to justify it to the media after the fact was even more pathetic. It's just poor sportsmanship on top of being very, very lame. It's beyond bush league.

You guys are putting way to much thought into this. Its been this way forever. Offenses have adapted to it. So leave things alone. Rule changes almost always hurt the sport more than better it. Look at Nascar. They've destroyed that sport. Keep wanting the NFL to implement all these rules every time something happens that you don't agree with and the NFL will die just as Nascar has.

I am not sure if I can agree with you P-Money, I can't think of too many rule changes in football that have hurt the sport . . . but there are many rule changes that have helped the sport: the new safety rules for the QB/defenseless players/crack back block/horsecollar, instant replay, challenges, allowing the defense time to sub when the offensive subs, auto review of scores (so the coaches don't have to waste a challenge on muff score call), etc . . . there are very few rules that I do not like and I can only think of two of the top of my head, the endzone celebration penatly (which really doesn't effect the game play) and the new 35 yard kickoff, which at this point i have mixed feelings about and may grow to like it . . .

but overall, I think the NFL does a great job in maintaining the integrity of the sport, safety of the players, and doing what is necessary so that the correct call happens on the field of play . . . and as such, doing what is necessary to prevent a defense from getting "extra" TOs is only an extension of that last principal, so that what is right and fair happens on the field of play . . .

the fact that "it happens since the sport started," did not stop the NFL from implementing the facemask penalty, the close line penalty, the "taping" of defensive signals during the "play" of a [future] game :wave:, spearing, grabbing a wide reciever, ground can't cause a fumble, etc . . . so alot of our preesnt day rules at one point in time where bucking the trend of "it has always happened" and for me when a new rule comes in that improves the fairness of the sport, I for one welcome, regardless the history of the actions sanctioned . . .

my two cents . . .

my two cents . . .

Disclaimer: The following was heard on the radio, but thought I'd share it here to see whether other people found it as interesting as I did.

How about this variant on #3? Add two 10-second substitution TOs. Keep them short so there can't be any :insert commercial here: and they'd serve the purpose of allowing a defensive substitution without really stealing too much momentum from the offense.

10 seconds may not be long enough, but I feel that the idea may have some merit.

Disclaimer: The following was heard on the radio, but thought I'd share it here to see whether other people found it as interesting as I did.

How about this variant on #3? Add two 10-second substitution TOs. Keep them short so there can't be any :insert commercial here: and they'd serve the purpose of allowing a defensive substitution without really stealing too much momentum from the offense.

10 seconds may not be long enough, but I feel that the idea may have some merit.

that I could buy. Anything but commercials.