Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason's 2012 Mock Draft

Here is my first attempt at a mock draft for next year, and this is assuming we draft somewhere in the top 5, which is fairly likely at this point. I am predicting a trade down from the 1-3 spot to somewhere between 8-10 and acquiring a 2nd, 3rd this year and 1st+ next year. This is similar to what Atlanta gave up for Julio Jones only this is a little bit more. However a franchise QB is worth more than a star WR I would imagine to most teams.

Round **Updated 9/25/11

1: Brandon Thompson, DT, 6'2" 310 lbs Clemson

2: Nick Foles, QB, 6'4" 240 lbs Arizona (I'd prefer MLB Te'o or Kuechly here but I do think a QB gets drafted. See note at bottom)

2: #8-10 Morris Claiborne, CB, 6'0" 185 lbs LSU or Stephone Gilmore, CB, 6'1" 193 lbs South Carolina

3: Dwight Jones, WR, 6'4" 225 lbs North Carolina or Juron Criner, WR, 6'4" 215 lbs Arizona. I could also see Ryan Broyles WR 5'10 188 lbs Oklahoma here simply based on the types of WR's the Colts have targeted in the past. Broyles is described as a Wes Welker with better top-end speed. He also plays on the outside but may not be as effective against the taller NFL corners but he would still be a great addition. He's also a heck of a kick returner.

3: Best G/C/T (in that order) available

4 - Harrison Smith, SS, 6'2" 215 lbs Notre Dame or if we get a starter at SS in either Caldwell or Lefege then I'd go with Nigel Bradham, OLB, 6'2" 240 lbs, FSU

5 - Jack Crawford DE 6'5 273 lbs Penn State

6 - Derek Moye, WR, Penn State 6'4" 210 lbs or Darius Fleming OLB 6'2 255 lbs Notre Dame (Moye if we take OLB in 4th round or Fleming if we take SS in 4th round)

7 - Best T/G/C (in that order) available

**I am really hoping we can acquire either a second 1st round pick or an extra early second round pick so we can also pickup either Manti Te'o OLB 6'2 255 lbs Notre Dame or Luke Kuechly, MLB, 6'2" 237 lbs Boston College

Edited by Jason

Here is my first attempt at a mock draft for next year, and this is assuming we draft somewhere in the top 5, which is fairly likely at this point. This of course is assuming no trades on our part. We're really in a situation we haven't been in for a long time. We'll be (presumably) picking at the top of the round instead of the bottom of the round. So players like, for example, my 6th round pick Christian Tupou..he's projected as a 5th-6th round pick. In years past if we wanted him we'd have had to take him in the 5th since we were picking in the bottom of the round. For the first time in a long time we might be able to hold off until the 6th since we'll be picking at the top of the round. So anyways here goes:

Round

1 - Morris Claiborne, CB, 6'0" 185 lbs (I really want to put Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama 6'2" 192 lbs here but given the Colts' tendencies towards LSU I think they take Claiborne over Kirkpatrick)

2 - Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State 6'3" 205 lbs (like above, I wanted to put Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M 6'4" 225 lbs here but Colts also show a tendency to draft within the Big 10 so that's why I put Cousins over Tannehill)

3 - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina 6'2" 276 lbs (hopefully to play DE and only playing DT in situations where it otherwise would have been Foster)

4 - Best OG/OT/C available....I have done zero scouting on offensive lineman so I can't pick a name to put here but I do think there will definitely be a mid-round pick on the OL

5 - Chris Galippo, MLB, USC 6'2" 250 lbs (see explanation below for the 2 USC picks here)

6 - Christian Tupou, DT/NT, USC 6'2" 300 lbs (I think he needs to put on about 10-15 lbs to be a more effective NT but as is he could backup Antonio Johnson and play on passing downs. If Tupou is left 1 on 1, chances are he's making a play. Didn't seem to have either the burst or strength to break between 2 blockers but hey...he does have the strength to hold up those 2 blockers and create a 1 on 1 somewhere else on the line)

7 - Derek Moye, WR, Penn State 6'4" 210 lbs (this guy is a player, plain and simple. He's projected to the 6th-7th and honestly I think this is the biggest reach of all my picks)

I really wanted to put Mark Barron, SS of Alabama in the second round instead of McDonald. However, I think McDonald is the smarter pick and here's why...this will also explain the other 2 USC players Tupou and Galippo...Monte Kiffin took over as defensive coordinator last year for USC. Monte Kiffin, some of you will recognize, was the guy who helped Dungy create our defense. When he took over at USC he began to install his defense and they are running it now. It will be a somewhat vanilla version of the defense because Kiffin is limited in the amount of time per week he can spend with players (read an interview with him where he addressed this) but regardless, by the end of this year, these guys will have spent 2 full years learning and playing in his defense. That automatically gives them an advantage over other defensive players that we could select. Typically our defensive draft picks have been brought in to learn the system and play special teams for at least the first year. Anyone who's started from day 1 was typically thrust into the starting lineup due to injury. If we take a look at some of these guys from USC then they should be able to make a lot more of an impact right away.

The hardest part for me about the entire mock was putting a QB on it at all. I really don't think we're in as desperate a situation where we absolutely must draft a QB this year (we do have Collins signed for 2 remember) but my gut tells me that they will take a QB. Hopefully we can somehow work out a deal to acquire an extra late first round pick and grab either Alameda Ta'amu (top prospect at NT) or T.J. McDonald (top rated FS out of USC...I say him over Mark Barron only for the fact that McDonald also plays for USC).

My main issue is with your DE pick in round 3. I know investing in Brayton and Anderson is just a 1 year investment but I expect one of them to be re-signed when this year is done if their run D holds up. Given the fact that we will re-sign Mathis, my DE prospect would be this guy - Jake Bequette of Arkansas, 6'5", 271 lbs, plays with a non stop motor like an Aaron Kampman type. He could be had in round 4. Another guy along the same lines would be Vince Browne of Northwestern, 6'5", 265 lbs that could be a solid player in the NFL.

My round 3 pick would be that center Peter Konz from Wisconsin, 6'5", 315 lbs, that I have mentioned before, and would need to get a good O-line or D-line guy in the first 3 rounds, IMO. My other option for round 3 would be Dwight Jones, WR from North Carolina.

Here is my first attempt at a mock draft for next year, and this is assuming we draft somewhere in the top 5, which is fairly likely at this point. This of course is assuming no trades on our part. We're really in a situation we haven't been in for a long time. We'll be (presumably) picking at the top of the round instead of the bottom of the round. So players like, for example, my 6th round pick Christian Tupou..he's projected as a 5th-6th round pick. In years past if we wanted him we'd have had to take him in the 5th since we were picking in the bottom of the round. For the first time in a long time we might be able to hold off until the 6th since we'll be picking at the top of the round. So anyways here goes:

Round

1 - Morris Claiborne, CB, 6'0" 185 lbs (I really want to put Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama 6'2" 192 lbs here but given the Colts' tendencies towards LSU I think they take Claiborne over Kirkpatrick)

2 - Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State 6'3" 205 lbs (like above, I wanted to put Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M 6'4" 225 lbs here but Colts also show a tendency to draft within the Big 10 so that's why I put Cousins over Tannehill)

3 - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina 6'2" 276 lbs (hopefully to play DE and only playing DT in situations where it otherwise would have been Foster)

4 - Best OG/OT/C available....I have done zero scouting on offensive lineman so I can't pick a name to put here but I do think there will definitely be a mid-round pick on the OL

5 - Chris Galippo, MLB, USC 6'2" 250 lbs (see explanation below for the 2 USC picks here)

6 - Christian Tupou, DT/NT, USC 6'2" 300 lbs (I think he needs to put on about 10-15 lbs to be a more effective NT but as is he could backup Antonio Johnson and play on passing downs. If Tupou is left 1 on 1, chances are he's making a play. Didn't seem to have either the burst or strength to break between 2 blockers but hey...he does have the strength to hold up those 2 blockers and create a 1 on 1 somewhere else on the line)

7 - Derek Moye, WR, Penn State 6'4" 210 lbs (this guy is a player, plain and simple. He's projected to the 6th-7th and honestly I think this is the biggest reach of all my picks)

I really wanted to put Mark Barron, SS of Alabama in the second round instead of McDonald. However, I think McDonald is the smarter pick and here's why...this will also explain the other 2 USC players Tupou and Galippo...Monte Kiffin took over as defensive coordinator last year for USC. Monte Kiffin, some of you will recognize, was the guy who helped Dungy create our defense. When he took over at USC he began to install his defense and they are running it now. It will be a somewhat vanilla version of the defense because Kiffin is limited in the amount of time per week he can spend with players (read an interview with him where he addressed this) but regardless, by the end of this year, these guys will have spent 2 full years learning and playing in his defense. That automatically gives them an advantage over other defensive players that we could select. Typically our defensive draft picks have been brought in to learn the system and play special teams for at least the first year. Anyone who's started from day 1 was typically thrust into the starting lineup due to injury. If we take a look at some of these guys from USC then they should be able to make a lot more of an impact right away.

The hardest part for me about the entire mock was putting a QB on it at all. I really don't think we're in as desperate a situation where we absolutely must draft a QB this year (we do have Collins signed for 2 remember) but my gut tells me that they will take a QB. Hopefully we can somehow work out a deal to acquire an extra late first round pick and grab either Alameda Ta'amu (top prospect at NT) or T.J. McDonald (top rated FS out of USC...I say him over Mark Barron only for the fact that McDonald also plays for USC).

My main issue is with your DE pick in round 3. I know investing in Brayton and Anderson is just a 1 year investment but I expect one of them to be re-signed when this year is done if their run D holds up. Given the fact that we will re-sign Mathis, my DE prospect would be this guy - Jake Bequette of Arkansas, 6'5", 271 lbs, plays with a non stop motor like an Aaron Kampman type. He could be had in round 4. Another guy along the same lines would be Vince Browne of Northwestern, 6'5", 265 lbs that could be a solid player in the NFL.

My round 3 pick would be that center Peter Konz from Wisconsin, 6'5", 315 lbs, that I have mentioned before, and would need to get a good O-line or D-line guy in the first 3 rounds, IMO. My other option for round 3 would be Dwight Jones, WR from North Carolina.

My main issue is with your DE pick in round 3. I know investing in Brayton and Anderson is just a 1 year investment but I expect one of them to be re-signed when this year is done if their run D holds up. Given the fact that we will re-sign Mathis, my DE prospect would be this guy - Jake Bequette of Arkansas, 6'5", 271 lbs, plays with a non stop motor like an Aaron Kampman type. He could be had in round 4.

I can definitely understand your point but here's what I'm thinking. First, I agree that I think either Anderson or Brayton will be kept and honestly I think it will be Anderson. I do believe he will have a breakout year and we will re-sign him. I know they've also said that re-signing Mathis is a priority at the end of the year, however I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up rethinking this. Even if they do they I think Hughes may be on his way out if we don't see anything out of him either. However even that aside, if we only re-sign Anderson and not Brayton, then we still are down a DE. Ingram plays both DE and DT and would be a pretty big upgrade over Eric Foster, who also sees time at both DT and De. So basically, at least Foster and Hughes become expendable by bringing in another good DE and this guy is not only bigger but probably faster than both Foster and Hughes...Hughes being the one of the 2 that might come close in speed to Ingram.

And the reason I picked Ingram is that I would find it very hard to believe there's a more athletic DE in the NCAA right now. I haven't watched an Arkansas game yet this year but I'll try to record one so I can check your guy out. However, considering how much the Colts love an athletic DE I really don't think they'd pass up on this guy:

The audio isn't there but I watched the game. As soon as #6 took off, one of the commentators remarked how quick he was and he couldn't believe that was a DE running the ball. The other commentator kind of laughed and said it was probably DeAngelo Smith, a WR who plays a lot of special teams and also wears #6. The first guy laughed and said oh yeah I forgot about that and they agreed. Then when the back of the jersey was finally shown they both realized it was in fact the DE Ingram and they were both in awe...as was I. It's not often you see a 275 lb DE outrunning the gunners on special teams to score a TD. Also of note was that at the end of the game, Georgia was attempting an onside kick....not only was Ingram up front on the hands team, but he's the guy that recovered the ball.

I keep finding conflicting information about Morris Claiborne in regards to what round he projects to. Some say round 2. If that's true then I would love to see Manti Te'o MLB from Notre Dame in the first round and Claiborne in the second.

I'm also reading more and more about the different DTs and I'm not as high on Alameda Ta'amu now as I had been. It's looking like Kendall Reyes might be the best DT for us. He can play both NT and UT. He could compete with Antonio Johnson for the NT position. He might need to put on another 5-10 lbs though. He's 6'4" and 303 lbs.

LT is a dumb pick for us. Castonzo will be our LT for 10 years.

I do like the Dre Kirkpatrick pick, though I doubt Polian values CB that high.

Highly possible you're right....but we did take Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden in the 1st and 2nd rounds in '05 (I think) so you never know. :)

i like it but would rather got

1. cb - Dre Kirkpatrick - Alabama

2. fs/ ss/ nt - Mark Barron - Alabama

3. nt/ cb / qb (Another 2nd rounder, maybe from trading a 1st) - Morris Claiborne - LSU

4. wr - Derrick Moye - Penn St.

5. olb

6. nt

7. cb

In a perfect world. In a perfect world.

@Jabron

Dang 3 cornerbacks and only 1 wide receiver. 6 picks on defense and one on offense.

I don't have a problem with the 6 picks on defense but I don't like all the suggested picks. lol Yeah I don't think we need to go for 3 CB's...2 at most but I think we're fine adding 1. Draft a true #1 CB and move Powers to #2. We also still have yet to see what we really have in Thomas, Rucker and Terence Johnson so keep that in mind as well (to jbaron)