Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we overpaying? Yes, but keep in mind.../Post Cap After Ricky Jean Francois/$ left to spend ? (merge)

Hans Moleman

that we do have a salary floor to meet. What we're seeing here is guys who look overpaid on an annual basis, but whose contracts are heavily frontloaded. 

RJF, for example, signed a $22 million deal but $11 of it is hitting this year.

What we're doing is essentially "Benjamin Button" cap management. Instead of squeezing in as many players as possible (like what's commonly done) by backloading contracts, we're frontloading our deals that will keep these role players on the roster provided their play warrants it. 

The con is that we won't sign as many players and we will have to put up the bigger money now; the pro is that, since we can afford them now at their most expensive, we will have more flexibility in the future to make moves without the higher salaries keeping us locked in. We'll also be able to cut anyone who doesn't work out easier.

So, it's more expensive today and it will lead to deals for guys that are higher than their expected pay grade. But it gets us to the salary floor while giving us flexibility in future years to re-sign our own or add more help. 

Just something to keep in mind before getting too crazy one way or the other.

Yep, gotta think long term.

We are planning for years down the road, when rookies like T.Y.Hilton, Fleener, Allen etc. will all have contracts coming up for extensions at the same time. We could be planning for letting go of Moala or Redding with RJF's presence. We could be planning for re-signing our own ones, like doing a contract for McAfee, Vontae Davis etc.

If we want to play armchair GM, lets at least expand our tunnel vision to beyond this year, shall we? :)

that we do have a salary floor to meet. What we're seeing here is guys who look overpaid on an annual basis, but whose contracts are heavily frontloaded. 

RJF, for example, signed a $22 million deal but $11 of it is hitting this year.

What we're doing is essentially "Benjamin Button" cap management. Instead of squeezing in as many players as possible (like what's commonly done) by backloading contracts, we're frontloading our deals that will keep these role players on the roster provided their play warrants it. 

The con is that we won't sign as many players and we will have to put up the bigger money now; the pro is that, since we can afford them now at their most expensive, we will have more flexibility in the future to make moves without the higher salaries keeping us locked in. We'll also be able to cut anyone who doesn't work out easier.

So, it's more expensive today and it will lead to deals for guys that are higher than their expected pay grade. But it gets us to the salary floor while giving us flexibility in future years to re-sign our own or add more help. 

Just something to keep in mind before getting too crazy one way or the other.

I think that was a mistake. I read somewhere that it was 11 mill over the first two years and not the first year as reported .

31,347,750 is how much was spent course thats without knowing how much was upfront

Make no mistake, I am not a cap expert, but if this is how much we spent per year the cap hit is probably much lower. So out of $43 million we would have close to $15-18 million left?

Does that sound about right to the cap experts on the forum?

It would probably be wise to cool it for now & leave a little room for any surprise cuts down the road... unless there is a great deal to be had.

I totally agree. Let's see where we stand before blowing it all. Rookie wages will still need to be accounted for. The only way I could justify spending nearly everything would be if we were to extend V. Davis as well.

Remember, teams don't have to spend 100% of the cap, its more around 89%. We could be done in FA now. Rest goes towards rookies.

Not to be a smart A, but since this isn't understood I'll keep posting it.

We DO NOT have to spend 90% of the cap. We have to average 90% of the cap over a four year period.

So if a guy you want to re-sign on that fourth year is due for a big contract, and say his name rhymes with Andrew Luck (insert your own joke here) then a team may want to stay under the 90% mark for three years and blow it up on the fourth.

Make sense?

Not to be a smart A, but since this isn't understood I'll keep posting it.

We DO NOT have to spend 90% of the cap. We have to average 90% of the cap over a four year period.

So if a guy you want to re-sign on that fourth year is due for a big contract, and say his name rhymes with Andrew Luck (insert your own joke here) then a team may want to stay under the 90% mark for three years and blow it up on the fourth.

Make sense?

Agree i believe ive already commented on rolling dough forward to save for that day,but seems some dont understand cap very well.Just think of players who will need more money in 3 years or less with all of our signins last year and this who do you keep? Must roll it forward like i said last year we could have 19 million more if Freeney had been dropped but all was for giving him a chance.19 million could of bought a whole new O-line this year good call

Lol just having some fun before my flight home.

Coincidently I am in Orlando, so maybe I got that over pay fever from there haha.

Was checking on you...sounded sunburnt....

I need to see salary structure before some of these FA pickups are considered overpaying....Miami led the league IMO...

Have a safe trip home.  I need a vacation :)

Was checking on you...sounded sunburnt....

I need to see salary structure before some of these FA pickups are considered overpaying....Miami led the league IMO...

Have a safe trip home. I need a vacation :)

Thanks buddy lol. It was nice not having a phone during this free agent madness. But so far so good it seems.

I'm about to go from 80 degrees to 30 degrees still wearing shorts.

Indiana here I come lmao

Make no mistake, I am not a cap expert, but if this is how much we spent per year the cap hit is probably much lower. So out of $43 million we would have close to $15-18 million left?

Does that sound about right to the cap experts on the forum?

You at least need to take the 3 mill McAffee gets and there's the Butler contract and a few more tenders. The draft is 3 mill. I would guess we don't have more than 8-10 mill.

The value if a free agent is based on his production. To say one is overpaid or underpaid is yet to be seen.

Honestly I don't know anything about our cap or the value of our free agents.

I was just having some fun. Possibly at the expense of some of our more serious/intense posters :).

You at least need to take the 3 mill McAffee gets and there's the Butler contract and a few more tenders. The draft is 3 mill. I would guess we don't have more than 8-10 mill.

The tenders were already figured in before we started signing people.

Thanks buddy lol. It was nice not having a phone during this free agent madness. But so far so good it seems.

I'm about to go from 80 degrees to 30 degrees still wearing shorts.

Indiana here I come lmao

I wear shorts year around...need that 80....be safe!!  Good couple of days....

remember last season when we were cap strapped? We used that golden period between the draft and the start of the season when teams have to round out their roster to bolster ours...

if we have any cap space left, we might be best served to wait and see what role players can be plucked from other rosters...