Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Okay, I admit it. I dont know either of the O-linemen Gosper Gerilus and Donald Thomas

oldunclemark

O-line experts. I need your comments..

Surely otehrs have chimed in but I wasnt around yesterday,,,

Gosper Gerilus and Donald Thomas...

I had never heard either name before this week....

We needed lineman badly ..are these average players....slightly above ??

Thomas has bounced around a little/

I'm reading where Gerilus is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

is that true?

Does anyone think (that if that is so) that its a change in philosphy..

Or is that simply the best bargain we could get.?

I have no bias one way or another..I've never heard of either of them..

Cherilus was a first round pick a few years back, had been average his first few seasons, but was very good last year. Donald Thomas was mostly a backup G for Patriots (I didn't ever see him for Dolphins or Lions) but started quite a few games last year because of injuries and was very good when he did play. Thomas was a very good pickup, Cherilus will be if he maintains his 2012 form, but he's on a lot of money which makes a lot of people, myself included, uncomfortable.

Cherilus was a first round pick a few years back, had been average his first few seasons, but was very good last year. Donald Thomas was mostly a backup G for Patriots (I didn't ever see him for Dolphins or Lions) but started quite a few games last year because of injuries and was very good when he did play. Thomas was a very good pickup, Cherilus will be if he maintains his 2012 form, but he's on a lot of money which makes a lot of people, myself included, uncomfortable.

Played well other then being benched in at least two different games I watched. He was benched vs Vikings, and then again during the Texans game.

Look at it this way, Albert Hayneworth had a blow up year, and then signed a 100 million dollar deal.  Gosder has a good year, and signs a 35 million dollar deal.

While it is a premium for the RT position, it isn't really THAT much.  And I'd suspect that by the start of year 3, it'd be easy to move on from that deal.

By checking rotoworld, it seems that his salary in the final two years is 7 million, or a total of 14.  I'd suspect his deal is more realistically a 3 year, 21 million dollar deal, with a team option for the final two years.  His salary in the 2nd and 3rd years is 1 million and then 4 million, so he won't hurt us too bad with the cap.  The signing bonus was only 10, which is spread on all 5 years at 2mil/season.  All in all, by year 4, we can recoup 3 million of cap space with a cut, if that is deemed necessary.

Anyhoo, while it is out biggest signing, it still pales in comparison to the likes of Mike Wallace, who most people seem to refer to as a one trick pony (run deep).

Has anyone seen this, it seems that Cherlus' cap hit is only $2mill a year...is this true? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/gosder-cherilus/

They don't show the breakdown of the salary portion yet...I'd give it a couple weeks to get the exact numbers.

So I'm not sure about his cap hit....but as long as this hit doesn't happen with Cherilus at RT I'll be happy.....

http://youtu.be/pHIQai1JK3c

They don't show the breakdown of the salary portion yet...I'd give it a couple weeks to get the exact numbers.

So I'm not sure about his cap hit....but as long as this hit doesn't happen with Cherilus at RT I'll be happy.....

http://youtu.be/pHIQai1JK3c

This hit made me cringe.  I literally yelled into the TV cursing Fleener.  Like how did he expect the lineman to go around him and cut that man off?  He even sped the defender up by pushing him. smh

This is Donald Thomas PFF grade:

2012 Grade: +10.2

2012 Snaps: 616

Summary: Thomas has shown well when called upon in a backup role with the New England Patriots the past two years, and it may be enough to garner interest around the league. His last starting job was in 2009 when he graded at +5.3 as the Miami Dolphins’ right guard.

In 2012, Thomas showed his versatility by filling in at various times throughout the season. He got the nod at right guard in Week 2, posting a +1.6 grade before getting called upon to start at left guard five times in a six game stretch where he graded at +10.9. His ability to play on either side will only increase his value and he may be in line for a starting job somewhere in 2013.

Gosder Cherilus Vs Michael Bennett(Tampa Bay Top Pass Rusher Free Agent For 2013)

Cherilus is the right tackle

Cherilus does a very good job against this guy. Cherilus is a big boy

Very nice video. Happy to have Cherilus with us.