Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jean-Francois

reyrey1332

I'm curious to know what other people think.  I love this guy, but heard the reason he left Philly without a contract is because Chip Kelly wanted to move him to DE in their 3-4.  Well, he is here in Indy today and I have a strong feeling we will be signing him.  He is only 294lbs.  I think in our 3-4, Pagano will also want to play him at DE opposite Redding.  I hope so.  Because Josh Chapman is our NT...I don't want to see Francois try and play that even though he had success playing it part time with the Niners...SF plays a one gap assignment 3-4, where our NT is responsible for 2 gaps.  Don't get me wrong...I want him at DE for us, but wonder if he will sign considering it is said that is exactly why he left Philly to visit here.

He's in Indy right now, hopefully we don't let him go without signing on the dotted line. I really like him and NO, he won't play NT here. Strictly, a DE and occasionally DT in a 4 man front.  He played DE in San Fran most of the time so I don't know why he wouldn't play it here or in Philly. Maybe he just knew Philly was gonna suck since they don't have a real QB and are going to be playing a gimmicky offense that will be terrible in the pro's.

I have heard some reports that Jean-Francois had 2 teams in mind, us and the Eagles.

He is definitely a upgrade of Moala and would definitely play a 3-4 DE along with a DT in a 4 man front.

I would be very happy if we got him and I think our defense would be set if we did grab him.

I have heard some reports that Jean-Francois had 2 teams in mind, us and the Eagles.

He is definitely a upgrade of Moala and would definitely play a 3-4 DE along with a DT in a 4 man front.

I would be very happy if we got him and I think our defense would be set if we did grab him.

There was an article somewhere yesterday that said if he left Philly without a deal, he would sign with Indy. I don't know if thats accurate, but I'm hoping it was. We should find out sometime today.

I'm curious to know what other people think.  I love this guy, but heard the reason he left Philly without a contract is because Chip Kelly wanted to move him to DE in their 3-4.  Well, he is here in Indy today and I have a strong feeling we will be signing him.  He is only 294lbs.  I think in our 3-4, Pagano will also want to play him at DE opposite Redding.  I hope so.  Because Josh Chapman is our NT...I don't want to see Francois try and play that even though he had success playing it part time with the Niners...SF plays a one gap assignment 3-4, where our NT is responsible for 2 gaps.  Don't get me wrong...I want him at DE for us, but wonder if he will sign considering it is said that is exactly why he left Philly to visit here.

I think the guy would be nice to have. I admit I havent seen him play much but in the games I have seen SF play I do remember him making some plays. So, I'm in the dark for the most part about his abilities. Like I said, I do remember his name because I saw him making some tackles and or pressuring the passer. Not sure how he compares to players that we currently have here now. If anyone can fill me in on what they know about the guy I'd appreciate it.

There was an article somewhere yesterday that said if he left Philly without a deal, he would sign with Indy. I don't know if thats accurate, but I'm hoping it was. We should find out sometime today.

Yeah the link was posted on a thread with the "3 blockbuster moves the Colts could make today" (referring to yesterday)

Which it looks like we could get 2 of the 3. We got Landry, and have a good chance of getting The Frenchman. 

After that, I think we may be done (at least till after the draft) with getting FAs.

I agree.  If we can sign him, our D is set.  In the draft we need to find a future pass rushing OLB and Reggie Wayne's replacement...but those are all moves for the future.

Hard to pass on a pass rusher if you are that high on him that is for sure.

A DE talent, Reggies replacement, and our next Center would be top priorities for this draft.

I think the guy would be nice to have. I admit I havent seen him play much but in the games I have seen SF play I do remember him making some plays. So, I'm in the dark for the most part about his abilities. Like I said, I do remember his name because I saw him making some tackles and or pressuring the passer. Not sure how he compares to players that we currently have here now. If anyone can fill me in on what they know about the guy I'd appreciate it.

I would say he compares to Nevis, but is taller. Has the same type of motor, but don't have the injury problems and is better suited for a 3-4 DE since he's taller.

Yeah the link was posted on a thread with the "3 blockbuster moves the Colts could make today" (referring to yesterday)

Which it looks like we could get 2 of the 3. We got Landry, and have a good chance of getting The Frenchman. 

After that, I think we may be done (at least till after the draft) with getting FAs.

Yeah I couldn't remember where I saw it. I hope if we land Francois, that we can still add a guard but we may try to get one in the draft too. I love what we've done so far. We have improved several key area's and if we get RJF, our defense is going to be really good.

Well, I like the guy, but I don't get the obsession Colts fans have over him (and we've kinda been obsessed with him for years).  I certainly don't get the argument that we should pay him more than we've paid any of the other guys we've signed, like Landry or Cherilus.  I'm just not convinced he's a huge difference maker.

Yeah I couldn't remember where I saw it. I hope if we land Francois, that we can still add a guard but we may try to get one in the draft too. I love what we've done so far. We have improved several key area's and if we get RJF, our defense is going to be really good.

I know that you have been preaching about fan's overreaction to our signings and you have been nailing it on the head. You get all my like votes today Balzer40.

If we do get The Frenchman, I will give a big A+ to Grigson for this free agency period. I already gave him an A after grabbing Landry late last night, but we have upgraded on nearly every position without throwing a whole lot of money at guys.

I know that you have been preaching about fan's overreaction to our signings and you have been nailing it on the head. You get all my like votes today Balzer40.

If we do get The Frenchman, I will give a big A+ to Grigson for this free agency period. I already gave him an A after grabbing Landry late last night, but we have upgraded on nearly every position without throwing a whole lot of money at guys.

+10.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I would give you a real like, but for some reason I'm already out and I haven't used but 3 or 4. 

A DE talent, Reggies replacement, and our next Center would be top priorities for this draft.

Not sure just how much of a pass rusher RJF really is??    I'm not aware that he's special in that area.

I get the sense -- and I could easily be wrong -- that he's a more all-around good DL that maybe a bit of a late bloomer.

Just my read and again,  I could be wrong about that.   Either way,  I'm hoping we can sign him.   The more quality players, the better.

Interesting take. The secondary was seen as a huge weakness last year. For my $ Bethea is a great safety and is underrated as safeties go. now with Landry I'd say we have a GREAT tandem and with Davis and Toler and Butler we have a very solid group of CB's. Should be much better this year.

I believe, on paper, this move would bring us up to a top-16 defense, but no higher... we don't really have any standout unit, though some may argue the secondary is.

Still a vast improvement from last year though.

+10.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I would give you a real like, but for some reason I'm already out and I haven't used but 3 or 4. 

Lol it is fine, I appreciate the sentiment. 

But yeah, I have agreed with everything you have been saying and I also believe Grigson has done everything to make the team better for the correct amount of money.

And he is a lot better than Polian was during FA time. Polian would just sit on his hands until the draft and just grab a bunch of undrafted free agents and we wouldn't improve on a position that way. 

This is the first "real" free agency I have seen as a Colts fan.

Not sure just how much of a pass rusher RJF really is??    I'm not aware that he's special in that area.

I get the sense -- and I could easily be wrong -- that he's a more all-around good DL that maybe a bit of a late bloomer.

Just my read and again,  I could be wrong about that.   Either way,  I'm hoping we can sign him.   The more quality players, the better.

The good thing, in our 3-4 system rushing the passer isn't what our DE's are supposed to do. 

Lol it is fine, I appreciate the sentiment. 

But yeah, I have agreed with everything you have been saying and I also believe Grigson has done everything to make the team better for the correct amount of money.

And he is a lot better than Polian was during FA time. Polian would just sit on his hands until the draft and just grab a bunch of undrafted free agents and we wouldn't improve on a position that way. 

This is the first "real" free agency I have seen as a Colts fan.

haha Yeah. I'm so glad we have Grigson now, who isn't afraid to actually build a team instead of paying a few guy's way too much money and fill the rest of the roster with a bunch of nobodies and never will be's.

The good thing, in our 3-4 system rushing the passer isn't what our DE's are supposed to do. 

Well.............

They may not be 'supposed' to do it,  but I don't think Pagano/Grigson would object much if they could find someone who is capable of doing it.

I think one of the things that can make a great 3-4 defense is having more than 2 OLB's as your dominant pass rushers.

If you can get one of your DE's to add pressure,  that takes your defense to another level.

See Houston and J.J. Watt as the best example.

I hope everyone can see what Pagano is doing.  He is setting this thing up to be one fast 3-4 nightmare.  Sidbury is fast...Walden is fast...still have Mathis....Freeman...Pagano will be able to disguise and have an offense off balance all day

We get the NT resolved and this big fella signed the run stopping begins as well....Are you excited?  I am...(How about Bethea or Landry on safety Blitz....heck...I did not even mention Conner coming into his own or Angerer!!! :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

haha Yeah. I'm so glad we have Grigson now, who isn't afraid to actually build a team instead of paying a few guy's way too much money and fill the rest of the roster with a bunch of nobodies and never will be's.

Yeah, I just imagine him in his office with the free agent and just towering over guys and being real menacing saying," you want to build the monster, or get eaten by it." While Irsay is in the background playing guitar of "I Wanna Rock N' Roll All Night"

Well.............

They may not be 'supposed' to do it,  but I don't think Pagano/Grigson would object much if they could find someone who is capable of doing it.

I think one of the things that can make a great 3-4 defense is having more than 2 OLB's as your dominant pass rushers.

If you can get one of your DE's to add pressure,  that takes your defense to another level.

Oh, don't get me wrong it's great if we get a pass rush out of our DE's, but it's not their main responsibility. J.J. Watt is more successful at pass rushing because the Texans play a 1 gap 3-4. We play a 2 gap 3-4 which usually require's bigger, stronger DE's that can hold up against double teams to free up our Lber's. Francois played some NT in San Fran. so we know he's strong enough to play DE in our system.

Well.............

Houstan play a different variation of the 3-4, their front three are supposed to pressure the QB.

next center? I doubt we look for another center. We have Satele signed to a big contract and Shipley is our other guy who I think should be starting based on last year's performace. Satele was hurt a lot though, so it could be attributed to that. 

OL and defense has been what free agency has been all about - we are building this team like Jerry Reese did for Eli, IMO.

About time too. Polians finesse crap grew old really really fast. We have already improved 10 fold and if we get Francois, it puts the icing on the cake. 

Has anyone looked at his 2012 stats? Nothing to write home about (22 tackles and 2 sacks) not worth the hype or big money.

Are you kidding me? Stats don't mean anything for a 3-4 DE that also split time playing NT in San Fran's system. He was also a backup because San Fran is/was loaded with talent. I don't think anybody is expecting him to get "big money" either.

Has anyone looked at his 2012 stats? Nothing to write home about (22 tackles and 2 sacks) not worth the hype or big money.

He was a back up on that team... he played behind Justin Smith who only came out of the game if he got injured which only happened at the end of the year.. in limited play and snaps thats pretty good... better than any of our defenisve ends this year except for Redding..