Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predictions For Game Against Pittsburgh

Jason_

This isn't going to be your standard "I predict X and Y" because some of this will depend on the defensive play calling. Also, I reserve the right to void these predictions if Brackett is healthy and comes back into the starting lineup. The predictions about our run defense also go out the window if they all of a sudden forget how to tackle again. As far as tackling goes, I thought they did very well against the Browns as far as being in position and not simply whiffing on the tackle. Hillis was still able to get an extra 2-4 yards just about every carry simply because of his size and power. Technique wise, though, I thought the defense tackled pretty well. :D

1. Mike Wallace (or whoever plays at #2 WR for them on Sunday) will make at least 2 or 3 big plays. As long as Lacey is our #2 CB this is something we're just going to have to accept unless he shows some remarkable improvement, which likely won't happen.

2. Big Ben already has 4 completions of 20+ yards and if we blitz a lot and can't bring him down, this number possibly doubles.

If we don't play the Tampa 2 very often, or preferably not at all, then I predict the following:

1. 3 or more sacks of Big Ben with one of them coming from a DT

2. Big Ben throws for less than 225 yards and completes less than 60% of his passes

3. Our defense gives up around 4.0 ypc. This is still under Pittsburgh's average of 4.6

If we continue to play Tampa 2 on 1st and 2nd downs:

1. Heath Miller and Hines Ward both have huge games.

2. Big Ben goes over 300 yards and completes more than 70% of his passes

3. Our defense holds Pittsburgh to less than 3.5 yards per carry and Mendenhall only goes over 100 yards if he carries 30+ times. The one thing that does benefit from the Tampa 2 on early downs is our YPC allowed on defense. The other team winds up in a lot of 2nd and 3rd downs on short yardage so they're only trying to grind out the first down.

I likely won't post again in this thread until after I've had a chance to go back through the game and break it down like I did for the Browns game. After that, however, I will come back and update to see how accurate I was. :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steelers 34 Colts 17

Better front 7 that we will have issues running the ball against, and our passing game is not sharp enough yet to take advantage of the Steelers secondary completely.

Unless we send more than 4 rushers consistently, Big Ben will either get out of the pocket or pick apart our secondary. That is my prediction.

i don't see any way that we won't be in tampa 2 the entire game.

Why do you say that? They have become a better passing team but their strength is still with the running game. And considering how "everyone knows we can't stop the run" I'd think that would make them come out running the ball even more.

Also, I did think of something I need to clarify....when I spoke of whether or not they run the tampa 2 on 1st and 2nd downs, I can only truly determine this when the other team passes the ball. I can make my best guess when they run, but Angerer did an excellent job of reading run right away against Cleveland so I couldn't tell if he'd have otherwise gone into deep coverage. There were some plays that wound up being runs by Cleveland where Angerer had his back foot behind him, looking like he could have been going back into deep coverage, but there were some passing plays where he did the same thing but he wound up not going deep. So the only way I can make the distinction 100% is if he actually starts moving backwards at the snap of the ball and the only times he'd do this is when he sees pass unless he gets faked out.

Well, considering that Pittsburgh is a better team than Cleveland in every aspect, and probably still better than Houston...I'm going to say Collins has a stat line around 15/35, 100 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 2 FUM, 5 Sacks. And our defense will certainly allow over 100 yards rushing, probably close to 150 as well as 300 yards passing, and 4 TDs.

One could say, "look at what Baltimore did to PIT in the season opener!" and I would say they were able to do that because they have some serious play-makers on defense that we don't have. Not to mention a DC that is able to gameplan and call an effective strategy.

Honestly, this game could be bad enough to get Caldwell fired. National TV, at home, a must-win game...if we play no better than we did against the Browns, it will be the worst blow-out loss since the Jets beat us 41-0 in the playoffs and heads will roll.

My prediction!!

Before entering Lucas Oil Stadium, I will drink many beers, eat some fried turkey, drink more beer, play cornhole, jello shots and then try and pack everything back into the vehicle like it was. I guarantee somebody will have a chips on there lap, cooler and some other items that they didn't have on the way there all the while cussing about it on the way home. Love Sunday night games!!! Almost forgot, hangover Monday morning witch leads to a really bad day.

The predictions about our run defense also go out the window if they all of a sudden forget how to tackle again.

l :)

lol do you forsee another tackle by Mcaffee? That was my favorite part of the Browns game. BOOM!

Well, that and scoring on the opening drive........even if it was a field goal.

With all the blitzing Dick LeBeau is likely to throw at us...our O-line will be busier than a tooth fairy in Arkansas.

The Steelers do however have a bit of trouble protecting Ben, so any chance we have will have to come through turnovers. But if the Steelers are able to sustain a decent rushing attack as they usually do, and we DON'T pressure Ben, we're probably gonna get smoked.

Steelers 34

Colts 9

hey guys not here to talk smack!

I am actually bummed about this game because if Peyton were playing I know it would be a great matchup of LeBeau vs Manning..two masterminds of there side of the ball. I actually like watching the Colts do well considering the entire NFL has this slobberfest over Brady who is good but I'd take Manning any day of the week.

The game I think will go to the Steelers just because Manning isn't in and we don't have to respect the pass AS much because Colllins..is...well Collins. Hopefully Manning isn't done though and he can play next year. Kinda sucks though. Heres to a good injury free game!

I am actually bummed about this game because if Peyton were playing I know it would be a great matchup of LeBeau vs Manning..two masterminds of there side of the ball. I actually like watching the Colts do well considering the entire NFL has this slobberfest over Brady who is good but I'd take Manning any day of the week.

The game I think will go to the Steelers just because Manning isn't in and we don't have to respect the pass AS much because Colllins..is...well Collins. Hopefully Manning isn't done though and he can play next year. Kinda sucks though. Heres to a good injury free game!

Well, good luck, you're NOT gonna need it! lol

Thanks for the friendly visit.

The Steelers have never been an easy game even with Peyton...and our O-line problems probably have LeBeau and the defense smelling blood.

Unless the Colts defense can force some turnovers and convert them into points....I think the only thing in doubt is the Steelers margin of victory.

Here's to an injury-free game. :)

Very nice to see a fan of another team be able to come here and make a positive post. Thanks and welcome to the site. :)

Well, good luck, you're NOT gonna need it! lol

lol...sadly he's right

Thanks for the friendly visit.

The Steelers have never been an easy game even with Peyton...and our O-line problems probably have LeBeau and the defense smelling blood.

Unless the Colts defense can force some turnovers and convert them into points....I think the only thing in doubt is the Steelers margin of victory.

Here's to an injury-free game. :)

Only time I ever remember it being easy for you guys was in 05 the regular season when Manning, Harrison and Wayne played toss.

I see a lot of people say have to put pressure on Ben..I hope the Colts do that..Cause then Ben will scramble..and he has like a 113 qb rating outside of the pocket on the run and like a 98 in the pocket..I love when the play breaks down and he throws people off of him. It's fun to watch.

Also I wanted to say how much respect I have for this board. Haven't seen a joke made about Roethlisberger once..which I understand peoples feelings on it but seriously? I don't really care for ben as a person at all..but I can't control who the QB of my favorite team is.

Only time I ever remember it being easy for you guys was in 05 the regular season when Manning, Harrison and Wayne played toss.

Yes....a Monday Night game if I remember right.

And just a month or two later the Steelers knocked us out of the playoffs in what was, with the exception of Super Bowl III, the most sickening Colts loss I've ever had to watch. All of it made worse by the fact that my wife, who I married two weeks later....is a Steelers fan.

I almost called it off! lol

Steelers: A lot (40+)

Colts score as many points as "coach" blinks during the game. Let's say...3 points in garbage time.

Other lawlful stuff to look for:

At least one punt/kickoff return for a TD (For Pit, obviously)

At least one punt/kickoff fumble for us.

Collins gets sacked no less than 5 times, and will be lucky to survive the game. Not wishing an injury on him, but it's a very strong possibility with this D vs our atrocious O-line and slow throwing, immobile QB.

Yes....a Monday Night game if I remember right.

And just a month or two later the Steelers knocked us out of the playoffs in what was, with the exception of Super Bowl III, the most sickening Colts loss I've ever had to watch. All of it made worse by the fact that my wife, who I married two weeks later....is a Steelers fan.

I almost called it off! lol

lol

I'll never forget that last play..the shanked field goal..I was so mad because I know Troys interception was a interception..(but bad calls happen all the time) Then he shanked it..and thats when I knew they were taking this all the way.

Although I loved the 08 season more.

Steelers 31

Colts 6

More pain... :morning:

Mendenhall is going to run up and down against us. Mendenhall fantasy owners are drooling(I'm one as well). Mike Wallace is going to burn Jacob Lacey multiple times, and Caldwell is just going to stand there emotionless and do nothing. The Steelers are just better than us in every way. I hate being a negative fan, but I've given up on this season. Here's to Peyton Manning next year. :cheers:

Thank you. We are bummed. I'm pretty sure Manning will be back next year, and now he'll have all these new toys, 1 year seasoned.

You are right about "Any Given Sunday" as well. Just look at the difference from week 1 to week 2 for a lot of teams around the league. The wacky off-season definitely had an impact.

Seriously, who expected the Chiefs to be THAT bad?

Or the Bills THAT good?

Or the Steelers to do a 180 from one week to the next?

Same with the Ravens, only in the opposite direction?

The Redskins and Raiders have viable teams? What is this, 1978?

Anyway, you are a wise and welcomed Steelers fan!

I see a lot of people say have to put pressure on Ben..I hope the Colts do that..Cause then Ben will scramble..and he has like a 113 qb rating outside of the pocket on the run and like a 98 in the pocket..I love when the play breaks down and he throws people off of him. It's fun to watch.

Also I wanted to say how much respect I have for this board. Haven't seen a joke made about Roethlisberger once..which I understand peoples feelings on it but seriously? I don't really care for ben as a person at all..but I can't control who the QB of my favorite team is.

Sorry, I had to edit your post. I know, it may seem ironic that as a Steeler's fan you can't call your QB whatever you want; but we don't permit insulting nicknames on this site.

Also, welcome :hello: . It's always great to have members who are fans of other teams who aren't trolls. Hope you stick around.

Thank you. We are bummed. I'm pretty sure Manning will be back next year, and now he'll have all these new toys, 1 year seasoned.

You are right about "Any Given Sunday" as well. Just look at the difference from week 1 to week 2 for a lot of teams around the league. The wacky off-season definitely had an impact.

Seriously, who expected the Chiefs to be THAT bad?

Or the Bills THAT good?

Or the Steelers to do a 180 from one week to the next?

Same with the Ravens, only in the opposite direction?

The Redskins and Raiders have viable teams? What is this, 1978?

Anyway, you are a wise and welcomed Steelers fan!

Yeah def a weird start to the season but thats why they play the game!

Sorry, I had to edit your post. I know, it may seem ironic that as a Steeler's fan you can't call your QB whatever you want; but we don't permit insulting nicknames on this site.

Also, welcome :hello: . It's always great to have members who are fans of other teams who aren't trolls. Hope you stick around.

No need to apologize my apologies for using that name on your boards. This proves the class of your fans on this site. I might stick around and hang out.

Im waiting for the offense to score some 7's off the turnovers the D generates. im gonna say that Indy has a better chance of winning this than most give them credit for. I still think that they are not playing up to their level and it might start with a lack of confidence. I hope the boys play loose and enjoy themselves

I think Tomlin will have those guys fired up, coming off a big performance against Seattle. Steelers are going to need every win the can get in that division and I doubt they let this one slip thru there fingers. Off the bat I'm expecting some big plays from big Ben to Wallace/sanders, then a full healthy 3 quarters of Mendenhall and Moore who always seems to perform. Luckily I think the Steelers have a bit of the turnover problem, which is a plus for us, but doubtful it will impact to much unless they are consecutive and early.

Steelers 31

Colts 13

Last weeks prediction

Browns 24

Colts 17