Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Im not liking these signings

Charliemac24

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The CFL is not even close in talent as we know....but OK...

Yeah, I know, I'm not devaluing how good the Freeman signing was, it was incredible. All I'm saying is, it's a completely different type of risk here. Walden hasn't performed well in... five or six years of NFL action. If Grigson and the coaches think it's just a case of him being used the wrong way.. well, it's doubtful. 

I just do not know why anyone who has followed this team is the least bit surprised....Grigs wants some hungry guys...someone who HE thinks can get to another level....this is the Walden signing...Sidbury....Toler wanting to get back to form. Pags had to have signed off of Walden too...he did have 3 sacks in one game in the Packer porous defense....can he do it in the 3-Raven defense of Pagano....we will see...and we have the draft guys!

We are not even into hour 3!!!! C A L M...it is out of our control :)

Calm-billboard-Mar-13.png

so hes taking his chances on guys that might make a comeback...

I've seen a lot of Lions games also and this is a very good player.       Indy's OL is going to be WAY better next season.

And how knows..  Indy may get a player like J Cooper or B Jones in the first of the draft to make this line ...   dare I say...   DOMINANT?

Rock On Colts....

I'm very disappointed that we couldn't sign a guy like Vasquez who signed with the Broncos for a very fair price. I like the signing of Donlad Thomas. I'm worried about Gosder Cherilous. I saw a few Lions game and he didn't impress me also got a lots of penalties. Toler, Sidbury, Walden are solid back up guys but nothing special and in my opinion a bit overpriced. But still I'm just an armchair GM and trust Grigson on this decision although I'm not excited anymore...

Yeah, I know, I'm not devaluing how good the Freeman signing was, it was incredible. All I'm saying is, it's a completely different type of risk here. Walden hasn't performed well in... five or six years of NFL action. If Grigson and the coaches think it's just a case of him being used the wrong way.. well, it's doubtful. 

Lets go talk in the Pacer thread :)  We get along better over there. haha

He is a big athletic guy...I will give him every opportunity to put the pads on and hit someone.  Kruger got some huge bucks for one good yer...Walden had 3 sacks starting...so what do we wish for?  Success from a hungry young man works for this Colt fan...I will once again agree i am not fond of the money....

so hes taking his chances on guys that might make a comeback...

Who is considered a comeback?  Toler had an off year...not one analyst has said a bad thing about the Toler signing...not that I care what the analysts say!  

Above...was a nice article on Walden...where else for a Linebacker that is hungry want to play...P A G A N O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

I just do not know why anyone who has followed this team is the least bit surprised....Grigs wants some hungry guys...someone who HE thinks can get to another level....this is the Walden signing...Sidbury....Toler wanting to get back to form.  Pags had to have signed off of Walden too...he did have 3 sacks in one game in the Packer porous defense....can he do it in the 3-Raven defense of Pagano....we will see...and we have the draft guys!

We are not even into hour 3!!!!  C A L M...it is out of our control :)

Calm-billboard-Mar-13.png

:funny:  Calm Calm Calm :funny: We will have none of that talk in here Brother :lol:

Who is considered a comeback? Toler had an off year...not one analyst has said a bad thing about the Toler signing...not that I care what the analysts say!

Above...was a nice article on Walden...where else for a Linebacker that is hungry want to play...P A G A N

O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :coltshelmet::coltshelmet:

walden...3 sacks in 3 seasons...theres no other thing for him to do then make a come back.

then again he is taking freeneys spot for just 4m so I guess thats one upside.

walden...3 sacks in 3 seasons...theres no other thing for him to do then make a come back.

then again he is taking freeneys spot for just 4m so I guess thats one upside.

Good one....I will be looking for you at training camp....I will buy you a cold one if Walden does not perform.  :)

FA is only 3.5 hours old, and Mr. Irsay has promised a few things...still feel Landry and Avril are on the way.

Sigh...     dude has 8 sacks in 3 years at GB as a backup.    

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8944/career

Texan fan obviously.. 

We could argue Kruger's numbers and contract too...and many of the forum members wanted him up to 10 mill...15.5 total sacks...not exactly HOF numbers JD....I will give Walden his day.... :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

One tidbit:  

Walden played 70.3% of the defensive snaps in 2012, appearing to wear down at the end of the season. He still finished with 26 1/2 pressures (combination of sacks, knockdowns and hurries), ranking second behind Clay Matthews for a second straight year. In 2011, he had the exact same total of 26 1/2.

We could argue Kruger's numbers and contract too...and many of the forum members wanted him up to 10 mill...15.5 total sacks...not exactly HOF numbers JD....I will give Walden his day.... :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

One tidbit:  

Walden played 70.3% of the defensive snaps in 2012, appearing to wear down at the end of the season. He still finished with 26 1/2 pressures (combination of sacks, knockdowns and hurries), ranking second behind Clay Matthews for a second straight year. In 2011, he had the exact same total of 26 1/2.

The more ya research.....

Sigh...     dude has 8 sacks in 3 years at GB as a backup.    

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8944/career

Texan fan obviously.. 

ahh my bad roto acutally reported 9 sacks, but none the less 8 9 or 3 still not a lot for the span of 3 years.

I agree with  the Op's that we did upgrade every position we got in FA so far. and saved a lot of money doing it. I guess its the sour taste in my mouth from losing out on the Vasquez deal that has me really annoyed.

ahh my bad roto acutally reported 9 sacks, but none the less 8 9 or 3 still not a lot for the span of 3 years.

I agree with  the Op's that we did upgrade every position we got in FA so far. and saved a lot of money doing it. I guess its the sour taste in my mouth from losing out on the Vasquez deal that has me really annoyed.

Seriously, guy....just read 5 minutes of this and then tell us what you think.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-walden-due-for-a-raise-jb7ilmb-178262421.html

I actually really like Walden as a player in our system.  He's not all that different than a Robert Mathis kinda guy, he could learn a lot playing with Mathis, probably a good situation for him to maximize his potential, which I think he has plenty of.

Granted, I think the price is steep, but if he pans out for us we'll be glad to have him.

There are still plenty of very good players on the market, contrary to how some of the people around here would define missing out on Vasquez, Levitre, and Kruger as "completely missing out on free agency."

Seriously, guy....just read 5 minutes of this and then tell us what you think.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-walden-due-for-a-raise-jb7ilmb-178262421.html

That makes me feel somewhat better about that signing.  It was an expensive one, however they must've saw in his games that he gave it 110% every play all the time and is dedicated. 

From Colts.com

We tried to get better across the board.  We went with our convictions,” said Grigson.  “We wanted players to help us build off a great 2012 season.  We found guys who we think have a common thread.  They were guys Chuck (Pagano) and I both felt fit in a lot of different ways.

“First you have to love the game and play lights-out, all the things Chuck and I have looked for since we got here.  They’re going to be good teammates, guys who expect as much out of themselves, if not more, than their coaches will every day.  Those are the kind of guys you don’t have to keep your thumb on.  Those are the kind of guys who try to be great when no one’s looking. 

“Chemistry is an important factor.  Scheme is an important factor.  Being a good citizen is a factor.  The thing I always hold fast to is, ‘The tape doesn’t lie.’

THUMBNAIL LOOKS AT THE NEW COLTS:

Cherilus, 6-7, 325, started 71-of-75 games at right tackle for Detroit after being selected 17th overall in the 2008 draft.  Cherilus started 16 games last year, helping pave the way for the Lions to rank second in NFL in passing yards (4,927), third in net yards (6,540) and ninth in sacks allowed (29).

In 2011, he opened 15-of-16 games as Detroit ranked fourth in points scored, passing yards and red zone percentage and fifth in overall yards.  Cherilus was a 12-game starter in 2010.  The Lions finished fifth in the NFL in sacks per pass play, giving up just 27 sacks on 660 passing plays.

Sidbury, 6-3, 261, appeared in 48 games with Atlanta, totaling 17 tackles, 5.0 sacks and one fumble recovery.  In 2011, he played in 16 games and had 11 tackles and 4.0 sacks.  As a rookie in 2009, Sidbury appeared in 16 games and had five solo tackles, 1.0 sack and a fumble recovery that he returned for a touchdown.

Walden, 6-2, 250, has started 26-of-63 games after being the sixth-round pick of Dallas in 2008.  Walden joined Kansas City after being waived by Dallas, playing nine games for the Chiefs and two for Miami that year.   Walden was a special teams performer who played in 11 more games with Miami in 2010. 

Walden appeared in two games with Miami in 2010 before being waived, and he joined Green Bay.  Walden started two of nine games with the Packers, then moved into a starting capacity over the last two seasons.

Walden started 15 games at ROLB in 2010, then followed with nine starts at LOLB this past season.  Walden had 71 tackles, 38 solo, this past season, with three sacks and two interceptions.  He has 188 career tackles, nine sacks and two interceptions. 

Thomas, 6-4, 305, started 21-of-43 games with Miami and New England over the past five years.  Last season, Thomas started seven-of-16 games and helped block for an offense that ranked first in the NFL in points (557), net yards (6,846), first downs (444), third-down percentage (48.7) and red zone percentage (70.0).  In 2011, he appeared in 10 games (one start), playing mainly on special teams and in short-yardage situations.  With the Dolphins in 2008 and 2009, Thomas started 13-of-17 games.

Toler, 6-0, 192, opened 15-of-38 games for Arizona after being a fourth-round pick in 2009 (131st overall).  For his career, he has tallied 128 tackles, 118 solo, 19 passes defensed, five interceptions, including two returned for touchdowns, and 1.0 sack.

Last year, Toler started two-of-11 outings and had 27 tackles, 26 solo, eight passes defensed and two interceptions, including a career-long 102-yard return for a touchdown.  In 2010, Toler started 13-of-14 games and had a career-high 90 tackles, 82 solo, nine passes defensed, two forced fumbles and two interceptions, including a 66-yard scoring return.

“We’re trying to get better,” said Grigson.  “Going into this thing, you never know for sure who you’re going to get.  At the end of the day it came together, and we couldn’t be happier.”

These aren't set the world on fire signings but they atleast provide NFL experienced depth.

Cherilius > Justice

Thomas > McGlynn

Toler > Vaughn

Walden/Sidbury > Paying Freeney $19million

We probably are marginally better, but with 42 million in cap space, you hope to come out of it significantly better. 

I'm starting to like the pick up more and more after reading that.

Yep...

On the Wednesday after the Rams game, McCarthy was in front of the team making announcements. It was time for Walden to receive the defensive game ball.

"Certain guys, you call them up, everybody's laughing," McCarthy said.

When McCarthy called up Walden, the mood was dignified and all business.

"I mean, you could feel it," the coach said. "His teammates love him. I think you could go through that whole locker room, there isn't a man there that doesn't respect him and the way he goes about his business.

"How a group reacts to an individual, I think it says a ton about a person. I'm into that kind of stuff, watching how people interact in a group. I think it's a huge part of team winning and growing.

"Did you ever shake his hand? He's just a strong man. He's a hard dude. I love that guy."

Walden has "Relentless Grind" tattooed on his right arm. His left arm reads "Military Mind."

"You've got to be able to think," said Walden, explaining the underlying message on his left arm. "Keep your composure. It's a plan for life."

At 6 feet 2¼ inches and 245 pounds, Walden has below-average size for an outside linebacker in Green Bay's version of the 3-4. Capers and McCarthy both are trying to limit Walden's snaps so he doesn't wear down as he did late last season.

No one ever could question Walden's effort. Capers said Walden gives everything that he has to the team.

He can run, too, moves well laterally and chases all over the field.

"He's a very tough, physical kid," said Kevin Greene, who wouldn't want to coach any other kind of outside linebacker. "He stands up offensive tackles and tight ends, and he strikes people with the best of them."

We probably are marginally better, but with 42 million in cap space, you hope to come out of it significantly better. 

I don't get that.  How do you know we're not 'significantly better'?  Just because we didn't get the big names does not mean we didn't get the right names.

I shouldn't be surprised that a lot of people are disappointed, but I'm kind of surprised they don't understand what Grigs is doing. As Irsay said, he was the exec of the year.  Have a little faith!

Watching NFL total access, Pioli was asked who is day 1 FA winner... & out of 32 teams he points out Indy... Indy addresses OL & adds pass rusher Erik Walden... Sapp said, yeah I like Walden...

just sayin...

Just saw that.  Then I realized it was Pioli...  

Just because someone gets 4 times the amount of money of someone else, doesn't mean they're 4 times the player. I'll leave it to the front office to decide who's worth what.

Don't you think they spent countless hours analyzing/researching these players? It's easy to sit back and say "I don't like these pickups", but I'll trust Grigs and Co. before any talking head or someone on this message board. Grigson has earned my respect.

Just because someone gets 4 times the amount of money of someone else, doesn't mean they're 4 times the player. I'll leave it to the front office to decide who's worth what.

Don't you think they spent countless hours analyzing/researching these players? It's easy to sit back and say "I don't like these pickups", but I'll trust Grigs and Co. before any talking head or someone on this message board. Grigson has earned my respect.

So, you have no opinion on the matter. 

Once we see the full contract of each player then we can see how we did. I'm hoping the signing bonus is almost nothing for each of them if so grigson could be a genius. Overpay a bit for mid level guys with potential to outplay the contract and if they don't then you can cut them at any time with no ramifications to the salary cap.