Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign OT Gosder Cherilus (confirmed) (merge)

MTC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Grigson,  the guy who was the architect for our 11-5 season, is a former Offensive Lineman.

What do you think the chances are that he knows more about quality OL then you do??     Hmmm?????

I just stating what I see with my own eyes. Sorry if its not the rosey picture you want.  Hmmmm?

I forgot Im only allowed to be a cheerleader here, and not state my own opinion and observations.

Seriously... This is our big free agent signing? I hate to complain, but if Cliff Avril is next, I am going to cry myself to sleep.

You should calm down. Signing period has been open a little over an hour. Some guys will want to visit with a few teams before signing. Many guys signing right away are more worried about money than fit. I want guys that fit.

Why? This would be good news. He fills a huge need and he's pretty good too.

Better than Kruger.

I have worries about a guy who hasn't played 3-4 OLB since 2007, never in the NFL.  And him possibly getting huge money... I'll gladly admit being wrong if they sign him, he starts, and does great. I just wish the Cowboys wouldn't have franchised Anthony Spencer. :(

You should calm down. Signing period has been open a little over an hour. Some guys will want to visit with a few teams before signing. Many guys signing right away are more worried about money than fit. I want guys that fit.

"Calm down."  Yeah, my post showed out of control emotions.

I have worries about a guy who hasn't played 3-4 OLB since 2007, never in the NFL.  And him possibly getting huge money... I'll gladly admit being wrong if they sign him, he starts, and does great. I just wish the Cowboys wouldn't have franchised Anthony Spencer. :(

Ya. I liked Anthony Spencer as well. Just remember Avril was supposed to be drafted as a 3-4. I think he'll do just fine. But as you said, we must wait and see.

The self admitted underachiever Anthony spencer? Oh boy

Well, the fact that he was signed so quickly means that Grigs wanted this guy all along.  It's not like this is two weeks later, he couldn't get anyone, so he just signed somebody.  He gets a huge benefit of the doubt after the job he did last year, so I'll wear my smile for now!  :goodluck:

When I think of the Lions offensive line, I don't think of much protection or a running game.  If Cherilus is the best OT that we could find then I guess it's a good signing.  I just hope he doesn't turn out to be another turnstile. 

Ya. I liked Anthony Spencer as well. Just remember Avril was supposed to be drafted as a 3-4. I think he'll do just fine. But as you said, we must wait and see.

Are there any notable Defensive Ends that went back to Outside Linebacker after a few seasons? I can't think of any at the moment. Just curious to see if anyone has made the smooth transition back to their natural position over that period of time.

I just stating what I see with my own eyes. Sorry if its not the rosey picture you want.  Hmmmm?

I forgot Im only allowed to be a cheerleader here, and not state my own opinion and observations.

Again,  you ignore the obvious.    Why are your two eyes better than Ryan Grigson's????    Hmmm???

You don't have to be a cheerleader.    You can state your opinion all you want.    But you might want to consider your 'expert' opinion vs. a guy with the background of an offensive lineman who just turned a 2-14 team into 11-5.

His view is a bit different than yours.....

Just some food for thought....

For anyone who doesn't know who he is, here's part of his analysis from PFF

2012 Grade: +23.4

2012 Snaps: 1,229

Summary: A player much maligned during his entire spell in Detroit, the inclusion of Cherilus this high up may surprise some people. In reality, his perceived performance level is not in line with his actual. Cherilus was in fact knocking on the door of All-Pro consideration at right tackle this season, and in the Lions’ extremely pass-heavy offense he played extremely well, recording a Pass Blocking Efficiency among the league’s Top 10 tackles (96.3).

The downside with Cherilus is that for a right tackle (if you still believe a right tackle needs to be your best run blocker) his run blocking is not overpowering and he has no experience on the quarterback’s blindside, having been held at right tackle by the Lions. Cherilus may not create any buzz with some very good tackles of a higher profile hitting the market, so some team may well get a bargain if they have to “settle” for Cherilus after the initial rush.

Thanks for posting this as it rang a bell with me.  I remember reading that summary in a post awhile back.  My initial thought was why would we be interested in another O-lineman who can't run block.  I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed probably because we have a lot of cap money this year and I was hoping for someone sexier like Levitre or Vasquez heck even Jake Long.  Getting this guy just leaves me feeling a little let down but I am sure he is an improvement over what we had and I'll continue to trust Grigs' judgment until having a cause to doubt him.  If this signing is any indication, the Colts will probably be bargain shoppers with a wallet full of loot this offseason.  Maybe they are looking to just stock the roster with decent talent at multiple positions rather than dropping down too much dough on any one given stud. 

Good grief, now we are stuck with Castonzo at LT. He got two thumbs down on NFL Live this morning with one suggestion he may end up on the interior.

"One player that the Redskins should avoid at this position is Gosder Cherilus of the Lions. A lot of people were surprised when he was drafted in the first round, and he has shown that while he is not terrible he is not a top-level talent.

He's allowed five sacks in 2012, which is an improvement from the nine that he allowed in 2011. However, he has produced more penalties (nine) this season than in any other year of his career."

There ya go. Lower your terrible sacks allowed number by using penalties. This sucks. JMO