Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Manning Surgery

Kyle

Just thought this might help everyone put things into perspective.

1 week ago I had a bulging disk removed from my neck and a plate put on the front of my spine. I had been dealing with the pain for about 5 years. It was not caused by any single hit or incident but I wrestled from age 5-23 and took many small hits that add up over time (similar to how I read Manning's injury explained). My doctor is a huge colts fan and told me that my surgery was VERY similar to the surgery Manning had. I also previously had 3 nerve block epidural procedures done to my neck but they did not help. (not sure what Manning's previous procedures were)

I have been told to basically not leave the couch for 2 weeks until my follow up appointment (this would explain Manning not being at the games). I also was told that I could not lift more than 5 lbs for 2-6 weeks. I also have a 1 month old and 3 year old so I know how Peyton feels not being able to help a whole lot with the little ones. The first few days I was extremely sore and due to swelling, could barely get a pill down, let alone eat and my neck and shoulders were very stiff.

It has now been a week and I feel like I am getting around OK. I am still on pain pills to get by and very sore in the mornings. My neck is still swollen so it is pretty hard to eat. I can't run, jump, throw, or really move very fast.

I am not posted this so you know what I am feeling like but so you (possibly) know what Peyton is feeling like. One good thing to finish with is that I have been told I will not have any limitations once I have fully recovered (I am not trying to be in the NFL but that is still good news for comparing to Peyton!!!) My DR is a very high regarded surgeon in Indiana so I just straight up asked, "Do you think Peyton will be back this year, or at least next year?" He responded with, "I would be shocked if Peyton played this year but I would be more shocked if he wasn't back next year."

Thanks for the good post. At least it gives some perspective as to what Peyton is going through. Hope you are doing better soon. :thanks:

Second that. Apparently Peyton is doing everything possible to get back this season, as we know with his Europe trip. So, unlike your doctor, I won't be shocked if he's back. However, I hope he takes no chances and that his doctors won't let him come back until they're 100% satisfied with his progress.

Peyton Manning is also an elite athlete who has far greater skeletal-muscular mass and permeability, as well as a level of vascular strength that none of us will ever obtain. This means his body receives the nutrients, as well as the reparation enzymes and cells at a rate far more efficiently than the average person.

In other words, I expect him to be healthy before this season is over. Whether or not he plays is another matter, but I imagine people will have to chain him to a tree to keep him off the field if he feels he can go.

Exercise does wonders for the body.

Peyton Manning is also an elite athlete who has far greater skeletal-muscular mass and permeability, as well as a level of vascular strength that none of us will ever obtain. This means his body receives the nutrients, as well as the reparation enzymes and cells at a rate far more efficiently than the average person.

In other words, I expect him to be healthy before this season is over. Whether or not he plays is another matter, but I imagine people will have to chain him to a tree to keep him off the field if he feels he can go.

Exercise does wonders for the body.

This.

It would be smart to sit out this season, and get back into shape. Conditioning, weight lifting, eating right.

I think once he's cleared to do any type of physical activity, that's exactly what he'll do.

I really hope that he gets all of his throwing motion, and muscle memory back.

With that said, I'm looking forward to 18 getting well.

you didnt apprentice what peyton does for the colts? did you really think that our team would be the same without peyton

Of coarse I appreciated him. He's Peyton freakin Manning. I just didn't know ONE GUY could make that big a difference. I thought we would go from being great to good/mediocre. I didn't know we would go from being great to bad. He deserves to be the highest paid player that is obvious now.

It has now been a week and I feel like I am getting around OK. I am still on pain pills to get by and very sore in the mornings. My neck is still swollen so it is pretty hard to eat. I can't run, jump, throw, or really move very fast.

I've been there. Fun fun fun. Have you been in a car yet (aside from coming home)? At about day four I had no choice but to drive a cat to a 24 hour vet in the middle of the night. Good thing there was almost no traffic. Looking side to side to check for cars wasn't really an option. Every touch of the brakes I swore my head was about to pop off and fly around.-omg- Carrying the cat carrier was fun too. Fortunately I skipped the pain meds so I wasn't loopy, but it was a horrible night all around. The coach is a MUCH better idea. I'm very impressed by how good Peyton looks compared to how I felt at that stage. Although as Doogan said, well he's Peyton Manning. :)

I'm sure you'll feel better in no time. Thanks for sharing your story.

My follow up appointment is thursday. I am going to talk to him about it more and will let you know what he says.

Then ask him this, DONT want to be negative but ask, Dr. even if the surgery heals 100% without any complications, isnt still possible that the nerve thats injured may not regenerate and thus Peyton may not get enough strength back in his triceps where he could throw hard enough to play

A nerve supplies whats called nerve nutrition to muscles, this allows the muscle to maintain its strength, if the nerve cant do this the muscle atrophies / weakens, that is where Peyton is now , his injured nerve must regenerate enough to supply said nerve nutrition so the muscle gains enough strength, even if not 100% back as before, to the point where Peyton can throw and be effective as half of peytons weapon is his brain, he can still decipher defenses and find an effective play and perform it even with less strength than before but needs a certain degree more than now, how much more I have no idea, we are not privileged to that

I wish u the best of luck and hope u heal well, I had a more complicated surgery over 5 vertebrae back in 1988 when procedures where more invasive and was basically dropped post op by a pregnant resident which resulted in a post op infection and eating out of more of my damaged spinal cord, thus ending my surgical career.

Now here's the point, we also are all individuals, I performed surgery for the 9 months it took to diagnose me once symptoms and sudden weight gain from lack of being able to exercise presented ( all tests, even the MRI that should have been positive were negative ) and once diagnosed I could tell u, as was told to me by varying experts, i should have already been a quadriplegic , then once infected Drs thought there is no way i would walk, yet not one day went by during my 40 hospital days where i didnt walk more and more to everyone amazement. I still do today, cant run, have a limp, no balance etc but i can walk and to look at me , well when i get out of a car from a handicapped parking spot , i often get flack, sometimes i let it roll off, sometimes i show my medicare card as wouldnt be on it if not permanently disabled

SO PEYTON IS AN INDIVIDUAL WITH AN ATHLETIC BACKGROUND, that gives him an edge in healing, again I should be in a wheel chair yet over 2 decades later I am not, WE ALL HEAL DIFFERENTLY