Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why'd We Quit Running The Ball In The Second Half?

mightisright

We didn't stop, the Browns adjusted to it and when we would try to run it the holes just weren't there in the second half. Or we would run it, try to throw on 2nd down and then face third down throw an incomplete pass and have to punt. We didn't stop trying it just wasn't as effective as in the first half. Credit to the Browns for adjusting.

It seemed like we tried it a LOT less in the second half. I'd have to go back and watch tape to be sure, and I think I'm still a little too nauseated to do that! :)

We got into too many 3rd and longs by not being able to gain enough on 1st downs and had to throw more. Then, the last quarter tempo was dictated once the score got to 17-12, then 24-12, then 27-12 and we had to throw more then.

I thought we were still running right up until that last "2:00" drive. It seemed like they were stacking against the run in the 2nd half. I'll have to go back and look.

In fact, at one point in the 2nd half, I remember thinking "why are we still running so much." Weird, huh? I almost thought we were trying to run in spite of ourselves.

Those interference calls that weren't called really hurt us. There was a chance there. It seemed to really frustrate our players. It went downhill from there.

On the bright side, I think I saw improvement on both sides of the ball. I'm really not sure as I think I'm still in shock over all the events of this whole season.

You know, on TV when they showed the crowd, their faces looked like they just returned home from vacation to find their houses COMPLETELY EMPTY.

They were looking at each other in dis-belief and you could tell that their heads couldn't believe what their eyes were telling them.

Crazy. What a CRAZY season. Kinda like a Tarantino film.

We didn't stop, the Browns adjusted to it and when we would try to run it the holes just weren't there in the second half. Or we would run it, try to throw on 2nd down and then face third down throw an incomplete pass and have to punt. We didn't stop trying it just wasn't as effective as in the first half. Credit to the Browns for adjusting.

Very true the Browns did a much better job in the 2nd half, but still if Kerry throws the ball 30 plus times a game like he did in the first 2 games we will have the worst record in the league. We just cant have him throw the ball 30 plus times and expect to win. Theres only a handful of QB's that you can trust that task of throwing that much with. IE. Manning, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Rogers ETC.

They didn't. They ran the ball 15 times in times for 64 yards in the first half and 10 times for 46 yards in the 2nd half. Like Chad72 a lot of third and longs plus having to be in throwing mode the entire last half of the 4th quarter. If the game was close or the Colts were winning that would be 5 more carries in the last 7:30 easily.

They didn't. They ran the ball 15 times in times for 64 yards in the first half and 10 times for 46 yards in the 2nd half. Like Chad72 a lot of third and longs plus having to be in throwing mode the entire last half of the 4th quarter. If the game was close or the Colts were winning that would be 5 more carries in the last 7:30 easily.

Anyone know our 3rd down conversions? I lost track, but off the top 'o' my head, I'd say 3 of 13.

:yuk:

I remember quite a few of those were short, very manageable conversions.

3-8-CLV 21 (10:40) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short right to A.Collie (D.Patterson).

3-3-IND 32 (8:29) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins sacked at IND 25 for -7 yards (A.Rubin).

3-6-CLV 46 (1:58) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass short left to D.Clark to CLV 38 for 8 yards (S.Fujita).

3-1-CLV 9 (15:00) (Run formation) D.Carter up the middle to CLV 9 for no gain (P.Taylor; C.Gocong).

3-4-50 (6:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass short right to P.Garcon to CLV 44 for 6 yards (J.Haden).

3-12-CLV 34 (4:03) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short left to A.Collie.

3-15-CLV 18 (7:03) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short right to A.Collie (T.Ward).

3-6-IND 21 (2:21) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short left to R.Wayne.

3-13-IND-28 (15:00) (Shotgun) K.Collins pass deep left intended for R.Wayne INTERCEPTED by U.Young at IND 49. U.Young

to IND 21 for 28 yards (D.Clark).

3-4-IND 26 (10:17) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short left to A.Collie [J.Sheard].

3-10-IND 13 (5:11) (Run formation) K.Collins pass incomplete short left to A.Collie.

3-3-IND 27 (3:28) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins sacked at IND 19 for -8 yards (J.Sheard). FUMBLES (J.Sheard),

RECOVERED by CLV-J.Sheard at IND 19. J.Sheard to IND 14 for 5 yards. FUMBLES, ball out of bounds at IND

Cleveland challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was REVERSED.

(No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins sacked at IND 19 for -8 yards (J.Sheard). FUMBLES (J.Sheard), RECOVERED by

CLV-J.Sheard at IND 19. J.Sheard to IND 14 for 5 yards (A.Castonzo).

3-3-IND 34 (2:08) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass deep left to R.Wayne to CLV 46 for 20 yards (U.Young).

3-10-CLV 14 (1:00) (Shotgun) K.Collins pass short middle to A.Collie to CLV 1 for 13 yards (U.Young).

Not doing this to prove you right, just posting it for your information.

2 of the 4 on the last drive for the Colts.

3-8-CLV 21 (10:40) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short right to A.Collie (D.Patterson).

3-3-IND 32 (8:29) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins sacked at IND 25 for -7 yards (A.Rubin).

3-6-CLV 46 (1:58) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass short left to D.Clark to CLV 38 for 8 yards (S.Fujita).

3-1-CLV 9 (15:00) (Run formation) D.Carter up the middle to CLV 9 for no gain (P.Taylor; C.Gocong).

3-4-50 (6:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass short right to P.Garcon to CLV 44 for 6 yards (J.Haden).

3-12-CLV 34 (4:03) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short left to A.Collie.

3-15-CLV 18 (7:03) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short right to A.Collie (T.Ward).

3-6-IND 21 (2:21) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short left to R.Wayne.

3-13-IND-28 (15:00) (Shotgun) K.Collins pass deep left intended for R.Wayne INTERCEPTED by U.Young at IND 49. U.Young

to IND 21 for 28 yards (D.Clark).

3-4-IND 26 (10:17) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass incomplete short left to A.Collie [J.Sheard].

3-10-IND 13 (5:11) (Run formation) K.Collins pass incomplete short left to A.Collie.

3-3-IND 27 (3:28) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins sacked at IND 19 for -8 yards (J.Sheard). FUMBLES (J.Sheard),

RECOVERED by CLV-J.Sheard at IND 19. J.Sheard to IND 14 for 5 yards. FUMBLES, ball out of bounds at IND

Cleveland challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was REVERSED.

(No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins sacked at IND 19 for -8 yards (J.Sheard). FUMBLES (J.Sheard), RECOVERED by

CLV-J.Sheard at IND 19. J.Sheard to IND 14 for 5 yards (A.Castonzo).

3-3-IND 34 (2:08) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins pass deep left to R.Wayne to CLV 46 for 20 yards (U.Young).

3-10-CLV 14 (1:00) (Shotgun) K.Collins pass short middle to A.Collie to CLV 1 for 13 yards (U.Young).

Not doing this to prove you right, just posting it for your information.

2 of the 4 on the last drive for the Colts.

An excellent review.

It was the 3rd and 1 run early in the game that really ticked me off.

What a fine time to play fake, be aggressive and try to score. Yes, we were running well, but mostly because Clev wasn't expecting it.

Wait a second....In game adjustments? That's cheating isn't it? What a concept, I wonder what it would take to get our coaches to consider such a feat? On second thought, try the same thing over and over again seems to be working out great for us.....nevermind.

My question is, why did we sign a FB to the roster if they weren't planning on using him?

He has been used. He was in on the 3rd and 1 that Carter got no gain. He also was in on a 3rd and short in the Houston game that the Colts converted. But believe it or not a FB does not mean a guaranteed 1st down.

An excellent review.

It was the 3rd and 1 run early in the game that really ticked me off.

What a fine time to play fake, be aggressive and try to score. Yes, we were running well, but mostly because Clev wasn't expecting it.

I don't totally agree with a perfect time for a play fake. Cleveland likes to blitz on 3rd and short, not just against the Colts but in the Cincy game as well and PAP is not a good thing to do against the blitz because they take so long to develop. And when you look at the previous 3rd and short you see, 3-3-IND 32 (8:29) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Collins sacked at IND 25 for -7 yards (A.Rubin).

Now, I admit you never know but you have to play the percentages and that is you have a better chance of picking up one yard against the blitz between the guards than a play action pass.

Two words....PLAY ACTION!! We need two TE sets and PLAY ACTION. If they adjust to the run...run it at them and setup the play action.

The obvious issue is that we were concerned with our offense being too vanilla. Right now, we can't even get vanilla.

I think we should go with quick, high-percentage throws. Particularly when the quarterback misses on 8/9 throws. Put him in a position to succeed. I wouldn't worry too much about play-action at this point.

Maybe I'm wrong but I noticed that we ran on EVERY 2nd down, everytime. No playaction, no screen, we ran on every 2nd down. I found our offensive play-calling to be highly unimaginative.

I think the OC has still yet to figure out that he is supposed to be calling the plays, drawing them up, adjusting to in game play instead of Manning doing it all for him. I have thought the teams offensive game plans have been stagnet for years anyway and Manning makes more out of plays than anything. This we do what we do and just have to be perfect on every play to win is a recipe for disaster when things like this year happen. We no longer have th horses to be perfect on each play, we are barely able to be competent on each play but....

I think the OC has still yet to figure out that he is supposed to be calling the plays, drawing them up, adjusting to in game play instead of Manning doing it all for him. I have thought the teams offensive game plans have been stagnet for years anyway and Manning makes more out of plays than anything. This we do what we do and just have to be perfect on every play to win is a recipe for disaster when things like this year happen. We no longer have th horses to be perfect on each play, we are barely able to be competent on each play but....

I agree the offensive playcalling has become very stale and predictive for yrs. now. I was just about able to predict every single play they would run before they even came up to the line. Imagine how easy it was for other teams to predict the calls. Of course, with Manning, he was able to still pull the plays off and make them work because, well, he's Manning!