Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is the point of the 3 day negotiating window?

The NFL sent a memo to all teams Friday warning against tampering. Essentially says they can negotiate but can not agree to anything. Can not announce an "agreement in principle", no hand shake deals, winks, or anything else. So whats the point? Teams and agents can negotiate but if they get close to a deal they must quit until Tuesday afternoon and then wrap it up. The NFL rules get a little dumber each day.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21834234/nfl-memo-threatens-tampering-charges-for-actions-during-3-day-negotiating-window

I take it as the agents will take a list of team's offers to their player, they will then decide which is the best offer and which team has the most chance at success and then on Tuesday at 4 p.m. the agents will call the selected team back and get that contract signed. 

I take it as the agents will take a list of team's offers to their player, they will then decide which is the best offer and which team has the most chance at success and then on Tuesday at 4 p.m. the agents will call the selected team back and get that contract signed. 

Could be, but if they can't reach any kind of an agreement, it all seems a little pointless IMO. With that said, I think it's a foregone conclusion that teams will go ahead make agreements with agents over the weekend and at about 4:01 Tuesday, players will be signing contracts.

Could be, but if they can't reach any kind of an agreement, it all seems a little pointless IMO. With that said, I think it's a foregone conclusion that teams will go ahead make agreements with agents over the weekend and at about 4:01 Tuesday, players will be signing contracts.

Ya it seems a bit stupid. I guess what my thought was on this is that teams could feel out agents to see what sort of demands they were looking for in terms of a contract for said player. Based on the ballpark teams could then focus in on those that they feel are worthy and then on Tuesday try to hammer out the little details.

Ya it seems a bit stupid. I guess what my thought was on this is that teams could feel out agents to see what sort of demands they were looking for in terms of a contract for said player. Based on the ballpark teams could then focus in on those that they feel are worthy and then on Tuesday try to hammer out the little details.

Yeah, the thing that confused me was that it was 1st reported and they were even talking about it on NFL network yesterday, that teams could come to agreements in principle over the weekend but the physicals and the signings couldn't happen till Tues.. The way the article that I posted above read, it seems like GM's and agents were surprised that they couldn't come to agreements either. Oh well, tampering happens constantly anyway, I doubt this letter really stops it.

Exactly. I've said many times before, year after year teams sign free agents so close to the opening of free agency that there had to be prior contact. just look at the tweet made by Davis. I know darn good and well there had to be some basis in fact for that. This is a multi billion dollar industry. Teams are going to skirt the rules to get an advantage.

Yeah, the thing that confused me was that it was 1st reported and they were even talking about it on NFL network yesterday, that teams could come to agreements in principle over the weekend but the physicals and the signings couldn't happen till Tues.. The way the article that I posted above read, it seems like GM's and agents were surprised that they couldn't come to agreements either. Oh well, tampering happens constantly anyway, I doubt this letter really stops it.

Exactly. I've said many times before, year after year teams sign free agents so close to the opening of free agency that there had to be prior contact. just look at the tweet made by Davis. I know darn good and well there had to be some basis in fact for that. This is a multi billion dollar industry. Teams are going to skirt the rules to get an advantage.

Yeah, the 1st thing I seen on NFL network this morning was that KC had contacted Sean Smith. Thanks Vontae for the early heads up. :D