Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Kruger Rumor (edit: Kruger to the Browns)

5181.jpg

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter that the Browns and Colts will aggressively pursue OLB Paul Kruger in free agency.

Per Werder, Cleveland is "definitely gonna go after" Kruger and will face "intense competition" from Indianapolis, which reportedly envisions Kruger as Dwight Freeney's replacement opposite Robert Mathis. Werder expects Kruger to be signed quickly after Tuesday's free-agent signing period opens. Kruger, 27, led the Super Bowl Ravens in 2012 sacks. We anticipate he'll command a contract worth in the $12 million range annually; perhaps $60 million over five years.

Mar 8 - 11:29 AM

If true , I hope Roto is wrong about the 12 mill per...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this in the Peter King thread. Yeah, I'm nervous about $8m/year, though I've talked myself into it. No way should he get $12m/year.

When we signed Freeney for that kind of money, he'd already had four double-digit sacks seasons, and was our best defender hands down.

The only thing that would make me feel OK about bringing him in for that kind of money is that Pagano has a very good idea about what kind of upside and locker room presence he has from his days in Baltimore. If we do sign him, particularly at that size of contract, it will be Pagano's first big push for a FA and we will have to wait and see how it turns out. 

The only thing that would make me feel OK about bringing him in for that kind of money is that Pagano has a very good idea about what kind of upside and locker room presence he has from his days in Baltimore. If we do sign him, particularly at that size of contract, it will be Pagano's first big push for a FA and we will have to wait and see how it turns out. 

True. Besides, when is a $12M/year contract ever that? It would probably be something like 36M guaranteed and average 12 over 5. But you know they'll redo it after 3 to make it cap friendly.

Too many worried accountants on this forum! Lets worry about football.

5181.jpg

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter that the Browns and Colts will aggressively pursue OLB Paul Kruger in free agency.

Per Werder, Cleveland is "definitely gonna go after" Kruger and will face "intense competition" from Indianapolis, which reportedly envisions Kruger as Dwight Freeney's replacement opposite Robert Mathis. Werder expects Kruger to be signed quickly after Tuesday's free-agent signing period opens. Kruger, 27, led the Super Bowl Ravens in 2012 sacks. We anticipate he'll command a contract worth in the $12 million range annually; perhaps $60 million over five years.

Wow. But, it IS Ed "Piped In Crowd Noise" Werder, so...

True. Besides, when is a $12M/year contract ever that? It would probably be something like 36M guaranteed and average 12 over 5. But you know they'll redo it after 3 to make it cap friendly.

Too many worried accountants on this forum! Lets worry about football.

Yes, there are many ways to manipulate contracts, but still...12 million for Kruger is too high. I know we'll have to overpay to get him probably, but over paying for Kruger would be 9-10 million per yr., 12 mil. is flat out crazy!

Make it back loaded contract with incentives. So he can restructure accordingly a coupes years from now. Can you do that?

They can do it. The question is would he take it? He might be able to get the same amount with more guaranteed money in Cleveland.

Am I the only one who thinks Kruger is so overrated? He is probably worth a quarter of that.

As more and more time goes by, yes, he's becoming overrated. I do think he's a good player, based on film and performance from the past two years, but he's not worth $12m/year.

Am I the only one who thinks Kruger is so overrated? He is probably worth a quarter of that.

Hard to tell. He doesn't have a very big sample size to accurately judge. I'm sure Pagano has a good read on him though and if he believe's he's worth signing then we have to trust it. With that said, I still think 12 mil. per is freaking ridiculous.

As more and more time goes by, yes, he's becoming overrated. I do think he's a good player, based on film and performance from the past two years, but he's not worth $12m/year.

Remember that the Roto World estimate is not based on anything but a guy's opinion. He probably is no smarter than you guys and onky about half as smart as me. As far as how good Kruger is , I guess Pagano shoud know.... But then again , IMO opinion he made a mistake with Zib (cant spell it) as he wasn't even a decent stop gab starter at safety.

Yes, there are many ways to manipulate contracts, but still...12 million for Kruger is too high. I know we'll have to overpay to get him probably, but over paying for Kruger would be 9-10 million per yr., 12 mil. is flat out crazy!

Again - $12M is just a number.  It's meaningless until you know how it's structured and how much is guaranteed.  What's also important is how it's structured for the year that we redo Luck.  Just like you said that the coaches must know a little more about the players than us, I think the Colts capologists know a lot more than we do.

I'm not saying he's worth it, but if the coaches think he can do the job I don't think we should worry about his contract.  

I would be ecstatic if Cleveland could get Kruger for 12m/year. Then we can spend our money on people who have actually proven they deserve to be overpayed. I would rather us spend our 1st rounder on an OLB than get Kruger. He's honestly not shown to be any better than Hughes at this point.

As i said in a post yesterday were liable not to be happy with the decisions that are going to be made. But If Grigs, Irsay and Pagono want this guy and like him then their gonna do what they have to in order to get him. Now Im sure it will be within reason but that reasoning will be thier reasoning not ours so we may not see it the same way. They may have to overpay a little especially if you have another team like Cleveland bidding to its probably gonna cause them to go a little high as a result of competition. Now do I really think this guy deserves 12 mil a year no I dont either. But the trust is gonna have be left in Grigs and the staff to make the RIGHT DECISION.

MY FONT WENT FUNNY SOMEHOW WHILE TYPING AND I CANT UNDO IT FOR SOME REASON.

Again - $12M is just a number.  It's meaningless until you know how it's structured and how much is guaranteed.  What's also important is how it's structured for the year that we redo Luck.  Just like you said that the coaches must know a little more about the players than us, I think the Colts capologists know a lot more than we do.

I'm not saying he's worth it, but if the coaches think he can do the job I don't think we should worry about his contract.  

I can't help but to always worry about contracts. I don't want it to affect our ability to build a good O-line and add to the rest of the defense. I don't ever want this team to get back into the mess Polian had us in.

Remember that the Roto World estimate is not based on anything but a guy's opinion. He probably is no smarter than you guys and onky about half as smart as me. As far as how good Kruger is , I guess Pagano shoud know.... But then again , IMO opinion he made a mistake with Zib (cant spell it) as he wasn't even a decent stop gab starter at safety.

Zbikowski was a secondary free agent, if that. And he wasn't very good. I defended him early, but overall, his play was subpar. Still, three years, $5.5m is a lot different than the money we're talking about for Kruger.

Werder might not know what he's talking about. Some of these guys, including the more respected guys, just throw numbers out there. I hope he's way off on Kruger. And if he's not, I hope Grigson and Pagano pass.

I would be ecstatic if Cleveland could get Kruger for 12m/year. Then we can spend our money on people who have actually proven they deserve to be overpayed. I would rather us spend our 1st rounder on an OLB than get Kruger. He's honestly not shown to be any better than Hughes at this point.

I don't see how you could have reached that conclusion.

Hughes?

Did you watch our game against Baltimore?

Kruger was a nightmare for us to block in that game. As he was for many teams throughout the year.

He never takes a down off. Full effort on every play.

When did Jerry Hughes ever even have a good game?

The Colts are becoming one of the worst teams at rushing the QB.

Many of our rivals now have multiple premier pass rushers.

This area is a must for our defense.

Although I am not too thrilled with this years free agent group.

There are a few players that deserve to be paid.

To me Kruger is the best. At the top of my list. Above Avril.

I also like that we've shown interest in OL Louis Vasquez.

CBs Greg Toler and Cary Williams.

All young and dynamic players.

I can't help but to always worry about contracts. I don't want it to affect our ability to build a good O-line and add to the rest of the defense. I don't ever want this team to get back into the mess Polian had us in.

Yeah, I get it and I agree that O line should be priority 1.  The way the rookie contracts work now, if we draft smart we can keep replenishing the higher paid mid level players yearly.  You're always going to have a few very high paid guys on the team.  Eventually Luck will be the highest paid guy on the team.  But by then, Reggie will most likely be gone, probably Mathis too.

Like I said, I understand the concern about contracts.  I just don't think it's going to be a problem with this regime.

I just hope we overpay for at least one O lineman, if not two.  (By that, I mean I hope they're quality guys)

The Colts are becoming one of the worst teams at rushing the QB.

Many of our rivals now have multiple premier pass rushers.

This area is a must for our defense.

Although I am not too thrilled with this years free agent group.

There are a few players that deserve to be paid.

To me Kruger is the best. At the top of my list. Above Avril.

I also like that we've shown interest in OL Louis Vasquez.

CBs Greg Toler and Cary Williams.

All young and dynamic players.

If Indy is going to throw the big bucks to a D linemen then I hope it is Avril. .   He has done if for several years and is as young as Kruger.    I really do not feel comfortable with these guys who blow up just prior to their contract year.

But if not Avril then certainly Kruger would be next up...   

I also hope Indy makes a run at Richard Seymour and Shaun Phillips.      Bring in Avril, Phillips, and Seymour and Indy all of a sudden has a monster pass rushing unit.  I like the looks of this potential D..

Seymour DE                     Chapmen NG                    Fili M/Redding DE

Mathis    OLB                          Freeman   MLB                          Angerer/Conner  MLB                        Phillips/Avril  OLB

Davis  CB                                                                                                                       Butler  CB

Bethea   S                                         S        ??  Don't think this player is on the roster currently.

Indy would still have enough cap space to sign a OL, CB, and or S......

No way at that price... not even close to being worth 60mil for 5 years... not... even... close...

He has shown that he is better than Jerry Hughes, but not so much better that he should be our highest paid player.. I'd take Jerry at his price before I'd touch Kruger for 12mil. per... They had about the same number of tackles last season.  I have to think that there is zero% that Grigs would pay that much for him...

I also have to think that this sports writer is way off, because nobody in the league, not even Kruger himself can think he can play up to that money... most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while... Can you imagine the resentment it would cause in most NFL locker rooms to have a relatively unproven guy come in and squash guys like Mathis, Bethea, and Angerer with his paycheck? (I do think that we over-payed Mathis as well, but there is something to be said about legacy in a season that the team had just lost their #1 icon)

The Colts are not going to spend like 1/3 of their FA money on an OLB unless they've lost their minds... JMO

Edit: maybe a bit of an overreaction due to the initial sticker shock.. I'm just thinking that Kruger should be an 8mil. a year guy (and a risky one at that)

If Indy is going to throw the big bucks to a D linemen then I hope it is Avril. .   He has done if for several years and is as young as Kruger.    I really do not feel comfortable with these guys who blow up just prior to their contract year.

But if not Avril then certainly Kruger would be next up...   

I also hope Indy makes a run at Richard Seymour and Shaun Phillips.      Bring in Avril, Phillips, and Seymour and Indy all of a sudden has a monster pass rushing unit.  I like the looks of this potential D..

Seymour DE                     Chapmen NG                    Fili M/Redding DE

Mathis    OLB                          Freeman   MLB                          Angerer/Conner  MLB                        Phillips/Avril  OLB

Davis  CB                                                                                                                       Butler  CB

Bethea   S                                         S        ??  Don't think this player is on the roster currently.

Indy would still have enough cap space to sign a OL, CB, and or S......

I would rather have Kruger. Kruger knows the system and Avril has been a 4-3 DE. He would have to move to OLBer in our system and who knows how that would work out.