Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Concussion Free Collie

lollygagger8

Man has Collis gained a boat load of good favor for a good 9game run.

It was good. As the 3rd WR for a passing team with Manning at the helm.

I'm willing to bet we have seen the best Collie has to offer, and he will never reach that level again. Or come anywhere near it.

Ooooooo you'll smoke a turd in he*l for that! Who do you think you are!? How dare you. Prepare for the wrath of the great white hype!

I get your point Superman & I do agree with it with 1 slight difference or modification. Knees are a pretty resilient body part depending on what ruptures & whether or not it is a partial or full tear. Sure, naturally any complication can arise before or after surgery, but the vast majority of athletes that undergo a knee procedure eventually make almost a full recovery. Look at Wes Welker. Of course the rehabilitation timetable is not an exact science when it comes putting your full weight on a new knee at Playoff game speed.

In reality, you are 100% right though Superman. INDY was paying Collie way too much money to sit on the sideline bench. No argument there. This is business not charity. Collie had to be let go.

Regarding Simpson helmets, no specific design is going to prevent all concussions, but perhaps they might reduce the severity of whiplash & minimize the lingering side effects of concussions among players that choose to wear that brand of helmet. Do I have proof of this? No, but how can anyone when no comprehensive data documenting 5-10 years worth of research has ever been released?

If the NFL truly believed in the central thesis of safety, they would demand results, get answers, & show the public what they have learned. It's never going to happen though. Why? The NFL doesn't want to jeopardize millions/billions in brand endorsements across the whole league. It's cheaper & more profitable just to shut up & not rock the boat IMO. Nice chatting with you Superman as always. :thmup:

See, but that's the thing. There's a lot of "maybe" and "perhaps" about this whole thing, because there are no comprehensive studies to this point. Not that I've seen. So while I think Simpson is doing a good thing, I'm personally hesitant to promote his helmets as anything more than another option. There's no proof, to this point, that his helmets are any better or safer than other helmets. They might be, but we ought to find out for sure before we start putting people in them just because we like Simpson's approach.

And the point in your final paragraph I find curious, for three reasons: 1) The NFL is sponsoring serious research and study regarding helmet safety; 2) You said earlier that you DON'T want the NFL to do this at all because it's a conflict of interest (they have a sponsorship agreement with Riddell); 3) When the NFL changes rules in an attempt to make the game safer, fans accuse them of watering the sport down in a spirit of hypocrisy.

The NFL can't win. They didn't do enough to begin with, and they either ignored or covered up evidence of long term effects of brain injury among football players. The league as a whole -- and the whole culture of football, from pop warner on up -- deserves a lot of criticism in this regard. But when the NFL tries to do things to promote safety, they get severe backlash from fans, former players, current players, the media, etc.

Man has Collis gained a boat load of good favor for a good 9game run.

It was good. As the 3rd WR for a passing team with Manning at the helm.

I'm willing to bet we have seen the best Collie has to offer, and he will never reach that level again. Or come anywhere near it.

That's possible. But it was one heck of a 9 game run, the best in the league at that point. Also, he was technically the 2nd receiver for us; Garcon was hurt part of the time, and Collie probably got more snaps over that stretch than Garcon did.

Either way, I'll admit I'm guilty of holding Collie in high regard partly because of his play in 2010. And a lot of that had to do with Manning and the receiver hierarchy. But Collie was the one producing, plain and simple.

As for his tools, he's got pro speed (I believe he's faster and quicker than Stokley was even back in 2004), he runs good routes, he has solid hands, and he's demonstrated a knack for establishing chemistry with his quarterback (seemed to be Luck's favorite target in camp). I think he has the tools. Even without the injuries, it's unlikely that he would get to and maintain the level of play from early 2010, but he doesn't have to. He was on pace for 103 catches and 14 touchdowns that year. I'll take 75 catches and 8 touchdowns from a #2 receiver.

Bill Simpson is probably one of the coolest guys you could ever meet. He is passionate about safety, and wants to make things better for players. Also, it wasn't just Collie wearing his helmets.

Bottom line is, 2011 he was wearing Simpson's helmet....he didn't get any concussions. Coincidence?

I'm not saying a different helmet would have kept him on the Colts. I'm saying the year he wore Simpson's helmet, he didn't have any concussions. You can call it a coincidence, whatever. There are a few other players that wear Simpson's helmet as well.

I just know the Bill Simpson is just about the coolest guy you could ever meet, and he is extremely passionate about making it safer for players. At least someone is trying to help these guys.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not. Simpson's helmet might be the best thing ever, and perhaps if Collie was wearing it when he got hit in the head last preseason, he wouldn't have sustained a concussion. Perhaps...

I'm on board with Simpson and everything he's doing/trying to do. I'm not arguing anything against him or his product. Simpson is doing great work, so far as I can tell.

But I personally don't think it's accurate to say: "Collie didn't have a concussion in 2011, and he was wearing Simpson's helmet. Collie did have a concussion in 2012, and he wasn't wearing Simpson's helmet. That must mean Simpson's helmet prevents concussions." I've watched every game from 2011 several times, and bottom line is that Collie didn't sustain any hits to the head in 2011. Unless Simpson's helmet features some technology that repels contact to the head, Collie's situation isn't definitive proof of the superiority of Simpson's helmet.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not. Simpson's helmet might be the best thing ever, and perhaps if Collie was wearing it when he got hit in the head last preseason, he wouldn't have sustained a concussion. Perhaps...

I'm on board with Simpson and everything he's doing/trying to do. I'm not arguing anything against him or his product. Simpson is doing great work, so far as I can tell.

But I personally don't think it's accurate to say: "Collie didn't have a concussion in 2011, and he was wearing Simpson's helmet. Collie did have a concussion in 2012, and he wasn't wearing Simpson's helmet. That must mean Simpson's helmet prevents concussions." I've watched every game from 2011 several times, and bottom line is that Collie didn't sustain any hits to the head in 2011. Unless Simpson's helmet features some technology that repels contact to the head, Collie's situation isn't definitive proof of the superiority of Simpson's helmet.

Huh, Force field technology, you may be on to something there Superman. I call trademark and patent rights!

Huh, Force field technology, you may be on to something there Superman. I call trademark and patent rights!

Only flag football will keep the head from being injured.....or the old electric fooball game...by Hasbro   :)  (I forgot who made it, but  :censored2:...I had one....no injuries!!!   :)

Only flag football will keep the head from being injured.....or the old electric fooball game...by Hasbro   :)  (I forgot who made it, but  :censored2:...I had one....no injuries!!!   :)

Im working on the technology right now Brent, This is where I am at so far...

2838414_f260.jpg

See, but that's the thing. There's a lot of "maybe" and "perhaps" about this whole thing, because there are no comprehensive studies to this point. Not that I've seen. So while I think Simpson is doing a good thing, I'm personally hesitant to promote his helmets as anything more than another option. There's no proof, to this point, that his helmets are any better or safer than other helmets. They might be, but we ought to find out for sure before we start putting people in them just because we like Simpson's approach.

And the point in your final paragraph I find curious, for three reasons: 1) The NFL is sponsoring serious research and study regarding helmet safety; 2) You said earlier that you DON'T want the NFL to do this at all because it's a conflict of interest (they have a sponsorship agreement with Riddell); 3) When the NFL changes rules in an attempt to make the game safer, fans accuse them of watering the sport down in a spirit of hypocrisy.

The NFL can't win. They didn't do enough to begin with, and they either ignored or covered up evidence of long term effects of brain injury among football players. The league as a whole -- and the whole culture of football, from pop warner on up -- deserves a lot of criticism in this regard. But when the NFL tries to do things to promote safety, they get severe backlash from fans, former players, current players, the media, etc.

Yes, I do view the NFL as having a conflict of interest here that is true. I'm not sure how you offset this problem either. Have scientists from the 3 major helmet company's to balance Roger Goodell's influence at the brainstorming table? No CEO's or number crunchers please just the experts that create each helmet. Right now, the league is bringing back pads in the legs & lower body presumably to counter the concern that more defenders will target knees more since head shots are severely penalized now. Actually, I like this league move. It makes perfect sense to me. Yes, as you suggest, I suspect a fair amount of backlash to this NFL change. Why? Guys on defense & in the secondary are going to complain that the leg pads will slow them down & compromise their speed & impact of their hits, turnovers, & big 2nd contact money. I can hear it now. 

I guess the NFL will say to the players you can't have it both ways: Groan about safety & deny my family & I a huge new contract & financial security. In fact, the NFL would say that these leg pads absorbs violent impacts better & keeps players healthy & on the field longer making more money & lengthening their careers in the league. I guess the NFL Commissioner makes an easy scapegoat & pin cushion. But then again, Goodell works for the owners the same individuals who want to extend the NFL regular season by 2 more games. A disastrous public relations move IMO. Not the best way to advocate for a safer more friendly NFL either really. 

Well, I hope you get over that.

"The Denver Broncos could look to sign Indianapolis Colts impending free-agent WR Austin Collie as he would not command a huge salary and he is familiar with QB Peyton Manning."

Looks like a former front runner for GM of the year disagrees with you.

Hope you get over that.