Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elite Contracts going up faster than salary cap

unitaswestand

Something that keeps puzzling me.  I see where Flacco is the highest paid QB and now they are talking about what Rodgers will get.  And Matt Ryan.  But the problem I see is the salary cap is not going up as fast as the elite contracts are going up.  So they are taking a bigger percentage all the time.  I wonder why that isn't being talked about?  The elite players talk about setting the groundwork for the next wave of players contracts.  But the division is getting bigger between the rich and poor in the NFL.  At what point does someone step up and say "Hey, I have enough!  I think taking 17% of the teams cap is enough"?

Well you're going to have those players that will take paycuts.  Then you're going to have those players who will try and get every Benjamin they can.  Keep in mind most of these players in the NFL were brought up in poverty.  As for taking up 1/5 of the cap, well that's something else but it's got to do with what they're worth on the market.

I know no one reads a thread , but I'll post this anyway. Where you are all wrong , misinform

Something that keeps puzzling me.  I see where Flacco is the highest paid QB and now they are talking about what Rodgers will get.  And Matt Ryan.  But the problem I see is the salary cap is not going up as fast as the elite contracts are going up.  So they are taking a bigger percentage all the time.  I wonder why that isn't being talked about?  The elite players talk about setting the groundwork for the next wave of players contracts.  But the division is getting bigger between the rich and poor in the NFL.  At what point does someone step up and say "Hey, I have enough!  I think taking 17% of the teams cap is enough"?

Manning signed the 19 mill per year deal in 2011. Brees got 20 mill , Flacco about the same. So not really jumping all that much. Furthermore what everybody misses so far in this thread is what I will post below. The key part of this is the new deal kicks in after 2013. So I would think that management is working contracts figuring the cap will take a pretty good hike after next year.

NFL signs TV rights deals with Fox, NBC and CBS
The broadcast networks will pay a total of nearly $28 billion in fees over nine years under the new contracts, which take effect after the NFL's 2013 season.
December 15, 2011|By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times
    •  
    •  

Email

•  
    •  

The National Football League has signed record-setting television rights deals with Fox, NBC and CBS that will see the broadcast networks pay a total of nearly $28 billion in fees over nine years.

That breaks down to an average of $3.1 billion a year, representing a 63% increase over the $1.9 billion paid annually by CBS, NBC and Fox for NFL football under their current contracts. The new accords, which take effect after the 2013 season and run through 2022, come just two months after the NFL signed an eight-year pact with Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN that boosted the cable sports network's average annual rights fee to $1.9 billion from $1.1 billion.

pixel.gif

Haven't you heard?

Reverend Brady did that for the Patriots this past week...showing selflessness and benevolence by only taking $57M in guaranteed money on his deal and lowering his cap hit.

Who is not talking about it??    I can't tell by your comment.    Are you talking about the Colts fans who post here?   Are you talking about the media?    Are you talking about the players?    Or NFL management?

Because people are talking about it.   There have been stories about it for the last year or two.   The middle class of the NFL players is shrinking.   The stars will get their money.   Lots of young players will be making either minimum, or not a heckuva lot more than minimum.    And the number of players making decent money in the middle will be under great pressure.   

Management will want to make sure that the star is not denied their money for the sake of a mid-level player.   And the mid-level player is under great pressure to perform, otherwise, he could lose his job to a drafted rookie, or a relatively inexpensive free agent.

This issue may be under the radar here on Colts.com....    but elsewhere in the football world,  it is indeed being talked about.....

Do any of you people ever read a thread before posting ? The cap is expected to go up due to the new TV contract which goes into effect in 2014. There is not this "projected squeeze" where the non stars wil make less becasue the elite's salary is rising faster than the cap.

Who is not talking about it??    I can't tell by your comment.    Are you talking about the Colts fans who post here?   Are you talking about the media?    Are you talking about the players?    Or NFL management?

Because people are talking about it.   There have been stories about it for the last year or two.   The middle class of the NFL players is shrinking.   The stars will get their money.   Lots of young players will be making either minimum, or not a heckuva lot more than minimum.    And the number of players making decent money in the middle will be under great pressure.   

Management will want to make sure that the star is not denied their money for the sake of a mid-level player.   And the mid-level player is under great pressure to perform, otherwise, he could lose his job to a drafted rookie, or a relatively inexpensive free agent.

This issue may be under the radar here on Colts.com....    but elsewhere in the football world,  it is indeed being talked about.....

This has always been an issue. But the fact is that that's just the nature of the beast. Infact the more that is done to "protect " the average skilled vet in his last years only enhances his chance of losing the job to the rookie. The more you "have " to pay a player , the grfeater chance of him being priced out of a job. The minimum was raised for players at every level from rookies to 10 year vets. Fact is teams will use their cap to put the best team available on the field. I really don't see this big escalation everyone is talking about. As I've said a couple of times in this thread , the cap will increase significantly in 2014.

I know no one reads a thread , but I'll post this anyway. Where you are all wrong , misinform

Manning signed the 19 mill per year deal in 2011. Brees got 20 mill , Flacco about the same. So not really jumping all that much. Furthermore what everybody misses so far in this thread is what I will post below. The key part of this is the new deal kicks in after 2013. So I would think that management is working contracts figuring the cap will take a pretty good hike after next year.

NFL signs TV rights deals with Fox, NBC and CBS
The broadcast networks will pay a total of nearly $28 billion in fees over nine years under the new contracts, which take effect after the NFL's 2013 season.
December 15, 2011|By Joe Flint, Los Angeles Times
    •  
    •  

Email

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  

The National Football League has signed record-setting television rights deals with Fox, NBC and CBS that will see the broadcast networks pay a total of nearly $28 billion in fees over nine years.

That breaks down to an average of $3.1 billion a year, representing a 63% increase over the $1.9 billion paid annually by CBS, NBC and Fox for NFL football under their current contracts. The new accords, which take effect after the 2013 season and run through 2022, come just two months after the NFL signed an eight-year pact with Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN that boosted the cable sports network's average annual rights fee to $1.9 billion from $1.1 billion.

pixel.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/14/gronkowski-again-hints-at-slow-cap-growth/

But it's going to go up, mostly by 2015 at the latest. In the meantime, teams will continue staggering cap hits like what the Ravens did with Flacco's deal. His cap hit in 2016 is going to be $29m. And if the cap hasn't begun to increase significantly by then, the Ravens still have options. If he's still playing at a high level, they can extend or restructure. If he's not, his guaranteed money will be up and they can renegotiate or release. 

This sort of thing makes me very worried about what Luck is going to want in a couple years when we go to re-sign his contract.  

QB's are starting to have too much bargaining power.  It makes me wonder if a maximum wage might be in order for the next CBA.  As every time an above average or elite QB's contract runs out he's demanding more and more money and a higher and higher percentage of the cap.

And because it's difficult to find QB's the teams just eventually surrender and give them what they want.  

This sort of thing makes me very worried about what Luck is going to want in a couple years when we go to re-sign his contract.  

QB's are starting to have too much bargaining power.  It makes me wonder if a maximum wage might be in order for the next CBA.  As every time an above average or elite QB's contract runs out he's demanding more and more money and a higher and higher percentage of the cap.

And because it's difficult to find QB's the teams just eventually surrender and give them what they want.  

As the QB should because they are becoming more and more important in this league.  The days of the Trent Dilfers helping you win a title in this league are gone.  It is the teams fault if they give some crazy money to an above average QB.  If you are dumb enough to break the bank for a guy like Alex Smith then that is your own fault.

I do not blame these QBs for getting paid.  I would be demanding that pay to because this is their one shot to make as much money as possible.  Most of us are going to work 20-30 years.  These guys get maybe 10-12 if they are luck to make their full amount of money..

I hate the idea of putting caps on salaries because it just protects the stupid GMs in this league.  If you pay a crappy guy a ton of money that is your own fault.  You get enough protection now from draft busts.  They do not need more for veteran contracts.

Haven't you heard?

Reverend Brady did that for the Patriots this past week...showing selflessness and benevolence by only taking $57M in guaranteed money on his deal and lowering his cap hit.

The least you could do is get the facts right. It is Saint Brady.

lol. They may change the celibacy rule just for him...I mean that is the only thing missing from the resume at this point, right? :)

Goat-herder and salary cap savior.....yes, absolutely.

Tom_Brady_Stetson-thumb.jpg

Now excuse me while I ground myself before the lightening strikes.

Ha,ha. I love hit pic. He is like Francis of Assisi. Even the animals thing he is the best. :-)

Even as his number one fan, I have to admit it is a lot easier to defend Tom on the field than off.

Goat-herder and salary cap savior.....yes, absolutely.

Tom_Brady_Stetson-thumb.jpg

Now excuse me while I ground myself before the lightening strikes.

haha I like this one better:

brady%20golf.jpg

Well....I don't know about pope, but that might help him get elected president. There we've gone from football to religion to politics....and the thread is still opened.

Only the peacemaker Tom Brady could make this possible!!

Well....I don't know about pope, but that might help him get elected president. There we've gone from football to religion to politics....and the thread is still opened.

Only the peacemaker Tom Brady could make this possible!!

He makes everything better. I read somewhere a few years ago that when he married Gieselle, his former girlfriend, Bridget Moneyhan, who he had his first son with was at the wedding. I mean it had been like a year a and a half since they split and it was an ugly split and there she is at his wedding laughing and drinking champagne. Only he coud pull that off...

He makes everything better. I read somewhere a few years ago that when he married Gieselle, his former girlfriend, Bridget Moneyhan, who he had his first son with was at the wedding. I mean it had been like a year a and a half since they split and it was an ugly split and there she is at his wedding laughing and drinking champagne. Only he could pull that off...

....or the lawyer who handled her paternity settlement. :td:

As the QB should because they are becoming more and more important in this league.  The days of the Trent Dilfers helping you win a title in this league are gone.  It is the teams fault if they give some crazy money to an above average QB.  If you are dumb enough to break the bank for a guy like Alex Smith then that is your own fault.

I do not blame these QBs for getting paid.  I would be demanding that pay to because this is their one shot to make as much money as possible.  Most of us are going to work 20-30 years.  These guys get maybe 10-12 if they are luck to make their full amount of money..

I hate the idea of putting caps on salaries because it just protects the stupid GMs in this league.  If you pay a crappy guy a ton of money that is your own fault.  You get enough protection now from draft busts.  They do not need more for veteran contracts.

They are becomming more important in the league, but at the same time Joe Flacco isn't a player that by himself is worth 20% of your cap.  But yet he got it.  And Rodgers is gonna want more because everyone knows Rodgers is better then Joe Flacco.  And if Luck progresses well, he could be asking for a contract closer to Rodgers contract.  

I don't like the idea of a maximum salary but I also think it's stupid that a QB like Flacco who is above average but certainly not elite can get a 120 million dollar contract over 6 years.  Ravens could be in trouble with his contract.  

This has always been an issue. But the fact is that that's just the nature of the beast. Infact the more that is done to "protect " the average skilled vet in his last years only enhances his chance of losing the job to the rookie. The more you "have " to pay a player , the grfeater chance of him being priced out of a job. The minimum was raised for players at every level from rookies to 10 year vets. Fact is teams will use their cap to put the best team available on the field. I really don't see this big escalation everyone is talking about. As I've said a couple of times in this thread , the cap will increase significantly in 2014.

That depends on who you ask. Like the link that Bav posted, that says the salary cap will be a slow growth over the life of the CBA. Others have said it will jump significantly in 2014. I seen one report that said the cap in 2014 could be as high as 150 million. It just depends on how the NFL wants to do it and it isn't set in stone at this point.

They are becomming more important in the league, but at the same time Joe Flacco isn't a player that by himself is worth 20% of your cap.  But yet he got it.  And Rodgers is gonna want more because everyone knows Rodgers is better then Joe Flacco.  And if Luck progresses well, he could be asking for a contract closer to Rodgers contract.  

I don't like the idea of a maximum salary but I also think it's stupid that a QB like Flacco who is above average but certainly not elite can get a 120 million dollar contract over 6 years.  Ravens could be in trouble with his contract.  

It's a tough world, the NFL. Ravens may or may not have issues with Flacco's contract down the road. But they would certainly be in enormous trouble if Flacco walked.  And a desperate team, such as the likes of  the Browns, Bills, Cardinals etc. would most likely indeed pay those big bucks to Flacco to get out of their own QB hades.  Flacco and Ravens believe this is so or they never would have to come to a mutual agreement of that large a sum.

That depends on who you ask. Like the link that Bav posted, that says the salary cap will be a slow growth over the life of the CBA. Others have said it will jump significantly in 2014. I seen one report that said the cap in 2014 could be as high as 150 million. It just depends on how the NFL wants to do it and it isn't set in stone at this point.

I don't think most people expected the 2013 cap to be $123m. So it's hard to project what's going to happen moving forward. But the TV contracts begin in 2014, so it makes sense that the cap will rise in 2015.

I thought I read a story that said when the new TV contracts kick in that what looks like a big deal today under the salary cap is going to look cheap under the future salary cap.  That was a while ago and I can't remember where I read it so sorry no link but I do think it's been supported that once the new TV contracts go into effect that the salary cap Is expected to jump like Superman is saying. 

The disparity between the QB contracts at the higher end and QB contracts affected by the rookie wage scale may end up playing a large part in how high the elite QB contracts may go.

We saw this play out in some odd form last year with Manning and Luck. But imagine a scenario where a very good rookie QB is available in the draft, and it also happens to be your elite QBs contract year. A team would be faced with drafting a good, young and inexpensive QB at roughly 4-5M per year, or

20+ M per year for the more proven QB – resulting in stability at the QB position, but at the expense of stability at many other positions, like the turnover that the Ravens will see this year.

I just saw today how the Falcons are going to extend Ryan this year before his contract is up next year so they don't fall into the same situation as the Ravens just did with Flacco. I still can't believe that if Ozzie thought Flacco was the guy all along why he didn't pay him the 16 mil he was asking for last year. What a crazy gamble. I get that he didn't think Flacco would win the SB in the fashion that he did but how much lower did he expect Joe to go even if he didn't win the SB? A franchise QB is going to cost you 15 mil at least. I mean look at the extension Sanchez got before last season. eesh. But that is the way it is. Ravens swung and missed big time.

Baltimore paid the man. It’s now up to Joe to prove he’s capable of replicating such a feat again. If he does, the Ravens will have no qualms about his new deal. If he struggles, those dollars start to become an onerous weight both in terms of expectations on the shoulders of Flacco as well as on the Ravens salary cap going forward.

http://www.downattheone.com/NFL/The-120-million-man

Another consideration is that the salary cap went down with the new CBA. Some of these contracts are based on the projected salary cap figures from the old CBA. The salary cap in 2009 was $128m, then 2010 was an uncapped year. Then it came down to $120m in 2011, ticked up slightly in 2012 (partly due to penalties against the Redskins and Cowboys), and now took a step back up to $123m in 2013. But it's still less than it was four years ago, which is outside the norm.