Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson has even more to prove this year

There are a few factors that will give us a further glimpse, or a larger sample of Grigson's genious. I do not think that we can doubt how well the Colts drafted last year. The results speak for themselves, 11-5 record, especially knowing our 2012 cap situation.

This year, we have money to spend in free agency, and draft picks to further improve the team.

Here are my concerns:

A) We are not drafting at the very top of the draft this year. It's infinitely easier to draft at the top of each round because you have so many more options, especially with Luck available at #1. How well will Grigson draft this year at #24, and in the subsequent rounds?

B) With Grigson in a new position, he does not have the time to be immersed in the college football world, like he was previously. He is now relying on others to plea about guys with potential. Here is what he had to say about that.

“That gave me a better picture because I didn't get to look at 350 guys like I did last year before I came in,” he said. “I don't have that catalog or reference point. I'm grinding in that respect. I told Jim Irsay this [recently]: The picture is a little murky, but every day it gets a little bit clearer with more information. The more film I get, the more passionate pleas I get from my scouts about players -- watch this guy, watch that guy.

This is the full article.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73094/how-grigson-keeps-a-buzz-guys-list

We liked Grigson for finding diomonds in the rough. He has admitted that he does not have that kind of frame or reference at this point. Hopefully he will get there.

C) Since this will be his first major dabble into FA, I would like to see what comes of it. Ths is where he has to be incredibly "prudent."

I do trust Grigson, don't get me wrong, but I also feel that he is now in a position where he has to repeat last year's performance-- which will be hard to do-- as well as make tougher decisions than he had to last year.

What say you?

I say there's no possible way to repeat last year's draft which will go down as one of the Colts best ever

This year..you have to fix the offensive line.......

we need upgrades at center, guard and tackle.....at least 3 new boys....the kind who can protect a star QB in an elite passing attack..for a few years to come,,,AND get short yardage when we need it

I'm sure Grigson knows this better than any of us.....and O-line is his area of expertise...

I'm pretty confident he'll get it done..

At some point, Grigson will have to trust his scouts and use his reference points from the past as to how he saw other GMs operate to make his decisions. Mr. Irsay does a great job not skimping on scout money and ultimately, the GM signs off on the player to be drafted.

Measurables and tape can be quantified, heart and intangibles can never be. That is what makes the draft an inexact science.

I look at it like human beings being gun shy to do something because they have gotten burnt earlier on it. Similarly, I can list a few hypothetical situations our GM may face:

1. Just because Tony Ugoh, who was very athletic and was from Arkansas did not work out, would it mean that Alvin Bailey, another highly touted SEC prospect from Arkansas whose tape and measurables look good for the OG position will not work out?
  2. Just because other USC QBs did not work out, does that mean Matt Barkley will not work out? (this one however is not applicable to Grigson)
  3. Just because Grigson took a chance on Chapman's health and did not get an NFL down from him in 2012, will he be gun shy if Star Lotulelei is available at No.24?
  4. While picking in rounds 3, 4, does heart and intangibles with moderate talent trump good talent and average intangibles?

These are the decisions all GMs will be faced with, that is what makes the draft an inexact science. If we get 3 starters for the next 4 years out of this draft, I will be happy - that would be 50% of the draft picks will be starters. If you can hit .500, you should be happy for any GM, IMO. That includes Grigson.

Hate to reference "The Silence Of The Lambs" but sometimes the best first principle is "Simplicity".  Dont overthink it, overanalyze it, Keep It Simple Silly and trust your instincts, Grigs :).

I do think the Pro Days and workouts in Indy will finalize the lists they want to narrow. Combine is just a small part of it. I trust in Grigson.

GM's dont look at Matt Barkley as a USC quarterback...times change..coaches change...

that's like saying that because Adrian Peterson went to high school in Texas..we'll consider playing prep ball in Texas a plus...that's not logic

I dont think GMs consider intangibles much at all because they dont know they draftees..other than interviews

I think that when you draft you believe your coaches will fix whatever flaws the guy has...

You probably DO draft based on your coaches strengths...

'Heart' is somehting we tend to judge after the fact.

Lebron James was said to have no heart...then he dominated the NBA playoffs.

Now, he's 'The Hardest Working Man in Show Business' same guy...

Its all about talent. All things being equal, you ALWAYS draft the player with the MORE talent because you believe you can coach it..

GM's dont look at Matt Barkley as a USC quarterback...times change..coaches change...

that's like saying that because Adrian Peterson went to high school in Texas..we'll consider playing prep ball in Texas a plus...that's not logic

I dont think GMs consider intangibles much at all because they dont know they draftees..other than interviews

I think that when you draft you believe your coaches will fix whatever flaws the guy has...

You probably DO draft based on your coaches strengths...

'Heart' is somehting we tend to judge after the fact.

Lebron James was said to have no heart...then he dominated the NBA playoffs.

Now, he's 'The Hardest Working Man in Show Business' same guy...

Its all about talent. All things being equal, you ALWAYS draft the player with the MORE talent because you believe you can coach it..

I'm not sure that I fully agree with your take on always drafting based on talent. There has to be more to it, or you wouldn't have so many misses.

Take JJ Watt for example. He isn't the fastest, strongest, or biggest. There's something inate in him that makes him the best. It's not just talent alone but work ethic, understanding the game, and desire to be the best.

They do thorough background checks on these kids for a reason. The Colts don`t spend this money on guys with real character issues, and ones that don`t have a passion for the game.
Most all the guys taken in the 1st round have some flaws that leave their future a question.

Ditto Flash, these kids leave college with some Talent, but that is nowhere near enough to be good in the NFL.
 So much still to improve upon.

They do thorough background checks on these kids for a reason. The Colts don`t spend this money on guys with real character issues, and ones that don`t have a passion for the game.

Most all the guys taken in the 1st round have some flaws that leave their future a question.

Ditto Flash, these kids leave college with some Talent, but that is nowhere near enough to be good in the NFL.

So much still to improve upon.

With the exception of PUNTERS ,,,     aye?  

At some point, Grigson will have to trust his scouts and use his reference points from the past as to how he saw other GMs operate to make his decisions. Mr. Irsay does a great job not skimping on scout money and ultimately, the GM signs off on the player to be drafted.

Measurables and tape can be quantified, heart and intangibles can never be. That is what makes the draft an inexact science

I shortened the box.....only to say this was an excellent write up and well thought out!  I really enjoyed the read!!!  Nice post  :thmsup:  :thmup:

There are a few factors that will give us a further glimpse, or a larger sample of Grigson's genious. I do not think that we can doubt how well the Colts drafted last year. The results speak for themselves, 11-5 record, especially knowing our 2012 cap situation.

This year, we have money to spend in free agency, and draft picks to further improve the team.

Here are my concerns:

A) We are not drafting at the very top of the draft this year. It's infinitely easier to draft at the top of each round because you have so many more options, especially with Luck available at #1. How well will Grigson draft this year at #24, and in the subsequent rounds?

B) With Grigson in a new position, he does not have the time to be immersed in the college football world, like he was previously. He is now relying on others to plea about guys with potential. Here is what he had to say about that.

“That gave me a better picture because I didn't get to look at 350 guys like I did last year before I came in,” he said. “I don't have that catalog or reference point. I'm grinding in that respect. I told Jim Irsay this [recently]: The picture is a little murky, but every day it gets a little bit clearer with more information. The more film I get, the more passionate pleas I get from my scouts about players -- watch this guy, watch that guy.

This is the full article.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73094/how-grigson-keeps-a-buzz-guys-list

We liked Grigson for finding diomonds in the rough. He has admitted that he does not have that kind of frame or reference at this point. Hopefully he will get there.

C) Since this will be his first major dabble into FA, I would like to see what comes of it. Ths is where he has to be incredibly "prudent."

I do trust Grigson, don't get me wrong, but I also feel that he is now in a position where he has to repeat last year's performance-- which will be hard to do-- as well as make tougher decisions than he had to last year.

What say you?

Well, Grigson did bring in a couple of mid tier FA last year when he brought in Cory Redding and Brandon McKinney. Those were good signings. he took chances on the likes of Avery, Vaughn, Freeman etc and they worked well.

I honestly don't think this year is tougher than the one he had last year. he came into a complete fire fight last year with having to release Manning and completely rehaul the roster. This year I think he is relishing the chance to take this team to another level. If I were him I'd be looking back on this season, light a cigar, kick the feet back on the desk and start moving my game pieces around like it's a freindly game of RISK.

As they said on the NFL network at the combine, Grigson was litterally sweating it last year. This year he is comfy and I'm not going to say that he's going to put it all together this one offseason but i will say that I think he'll put a few in the center ring again this year. Irsay is a smart dude. He's made some great hires over the years and Grigson is another of his great finds. I'm so glad I stuck with the Colts through the thin years. Its been a great time over the last 13 or 14 years. Really since 95 but when I was still following them throught the 2-14's it was tough.

I'm not sure that I fully agree with your take on always drafting based on talent. There has to be more to it, or you wouldn't have so many misses.

Take JJ Watt for example. He isn't the fastest, strongest, or biggest. There's something inate in him that makes him the best. It's not just talent alone but work ethic, understanding the game, and desire to be the best.

JJ Watt is a freak athletically. His combine numbers were off the charts for his position.