Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What makes a good FA pick up?

Lots and lots of banter about free agents we may be targeting. Many people with varying opinions. I have to say just going after a guy because he has name recognition is probably not the way to go. I think a lot of times veteran free agents get over paid or underachieve for various reasons.

I think one of the bigger reasons for that is that players will go with the team that throws the most money their way. Instead of looking to sign a contract for a little less with a team that may be a better fit than the team with the most $.

That's one of the reasons why I think we will make a strong run at Baltimore's free agents. Lots of talk about Reed, Kruger and Williams. Most fans seem to be apprehensive about Kruger. If we were a team that was just throwing $ at him and he didn't fit the scheme I would understand that. But Kruger had a strong year and made some big time plays in the playoffs and Superbowl. He would be coming to a team that runs the same scheme and would seem to be a smart fit. There are no guarantees with any player.

Lots of apprehension about Reed as well. Mostly the age factor. Understandable but I think its a great fit for 2 years. Tons of leadership and would bring a certain mentality to this young team. Grigson talks about chemistry and I think Reed would be great for team chemistry. yes he isn't the Ed Reed of 5 years ago but he's still a damn site better than the average NFL safety.

Lots and lots of banter about free agents we may be targeting. Many people with varying opinions. I have to say just going after a guy because he has name recognition is probably not the way to go. I think a lot of times veteran free agents get over paid or underachieve for various reasons.

I think one of the bigger reasons for that is that players will go with the team that throws the most money their way. Instead of looking to sign a contract for a little less with a team that may be a better fit than the team with the most $.

That's one of the reasons why I think we will make a strong run at Baltimore's free agents. Lots of talk about Reed, Kruger and Williams. Most fans seem to be apprehensive about Kruger. If we were a team that was just throwing $ at him and he didn't fit the scheme I would understand that. But Kruger had a strong year and made some big time plays in the playoffs and Superbowl. He would be coming to a team that runs the same scheme and would seem to be a smart fit. There are no guarantees with any player.

Lots of apprehension about Reed as well. Mostly the age factor. Understandable but I think its a great fit for 2 years. Tons of leadership and would bring a certain mentality to this young team. Grigson talks about chemistry and I think Reed would be great for team chemistry. yes he isn't the Ed Reed of 5 years ago but he's still a darn site better than the average NFL safety.

I started a thread a while back askin which FA would we overpay for. I think we have to accept that any quality FA will be coveted by several teams, and by simple supply and demand, they will get more than we think they're worth.

I'm not for bringing Reed in at a high salary simply because of his age. But I wouldn't mind overpaying Kruger. We need a rush OLB, and at least two quality O linemen. So do 50% of the teams in the league. I have faith in Grigs to make the right choices.

If he plays up to his contract and contributes to our winning. A bad signing to me would be if we signed a guy and he just totally blows. Cause if we sign someone it would be to the expectations that we have.

Someone who has a point to prove, and looking fo a chance to kick start his career. If not that then at at the least a guy who wants to win and win now. Wants to go to a winner and team enviroment, all about the chemistry. Oh good production for good value too, thats always a given.

A player that can competently do his job as a starter (at a minimum), allowing teammates to do their jobs and not have to cover for his weakness.  It helps that the pay is appropriate to the level of production.

There are no sure things in FA.  In mid 2000's, I was ecstatic to find we were getting pro bowler Corey Simon.  Then totally let down after we actually acquired him (from an unfortunate non-football illness).  fortunately winning the SB helped heal that wound, but not forgotten I bet Jim Irsay remembers too.  

Speaking of SB, we only have 4 players remaining from that 2006 SB winner. Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Adam Vinatieri and Antoine Bethea.  AV was signed for 2006 and Bethea feashly drafted, so only Mathis and Wayne remember the stinging losses to the Pats and (especially) Steelers prior to that SB win. But I digress...