Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Xavier Rhodes

Rhodes looks good, however, Honey badger just looks like his coordination is on a different plane than everybody else. It looks like he back pedals faster than everyone and he seems to accelerate while he is turning his hips. He may be dumb as rocks outside of football, but his football iq is sky high.

Rhodes looks good, however, Honey badger just looks like his coordination is on a different plane than everybody else. It looks like he back pedals faster than everyone and he seems to accelerate while he is turning his hips. He may be dumb as rocks outside of football, but his football iq is sky high.

The problem with Honey Badger (on the field) is his size, and the things he got away with doing at the college level will leave him getting worked in the NFL. He couldn't play in a press-man scheme either. He gets thrown around at the LOS when it comes to jamming.

Just because a guy like Trufant is 5'11" and not 6'2", it does not mean that he wont fight for the ball. To me, the 5'11" guy probably covers better but the 6'2" guy probably jams better, in general. But with 190 lbs and speed, Trufant can keep up with speed demons on the outside and route runners inside. I do think there is more versatility in Trufant. Let us not forget, when you bring blitzes or extra men, we dont play press all the time and vary it up with zone. Ladarius Webb is 5'10", 182 and look what Pagano's staff's coaching did for his instincts and coverage. So, I would gladly welcome it if it were Trufant.

Plus, if Trufant lasts till 24, that has to be an added chip on his shoulder that he was the 3rd CB off the board, and if that were the case, I would love that.

Trufant has the speed to play press man, but I have issues with his tackling, or lack of will to tackle. That's my issue with him. Rhodes reminds me a lot of Vontae, and plays with attitude.

I know you're in love with Okafor, but I think he has the highest potential to be a bust. He is not impressive IMO.

I'm cool if we got Okafor, unless we passed over Rhodes to get him. In some ways I'm apprehensive to get Okafor because he kind of reminds me of Alex Brown.

Ok y'all. I,too,Have a man crush on Rhodes. and honestly i was hoping he wouldnt run better than a 4.5,but he did. And that took him right out of our hands, if he was even in our reach at all. he WILL be the second CB taken. No doubt. That stride he showed at the combine was enough to keep up with anybody. Was it just me or did anyone see a bigger Bob Sanders in Sharmarko Thomas?! i mean, he has it all for a SS it seems. so...since we wont be getting Xavier Rhodes, then i say we get CB mike Jenkins in F/A and go for Margus Hunt.

Free agency will clear up the picture and IMO....we should sign a starting CB.

I really like Rhodes...but I also think that signing a guy like Keenan Lewis would give us flexibility on draft day in case a run on CBs happens and both Rhodes and Trufant vanish before our eyes.

If one or both of Rhodes and Trufant remain at #24 even after we've brought in a starter at CB....then we can draft whoever Grigson wants and have depth at the position with Vontae Davis' contract winding down.

Exactly. You can never have too many quality corners, and we'd have two true #1s (Davis/Lewis) and a possible #1 if Rhodes pans out the way we all foresee. I'd love that secondary.

Johnathan Banks is a mystery to me. His speed did hurt him a bit unless he recovers and runs a 4.4 in his Pro Day. Could happen, because it happened to Joe Haden a few years ago. Johnathan Banks' tape at Mississippi State suggests he has the size like those Seattle CBs to be a good press corner and the fact that he is not afraid to tackle shows up big time on his tape.

Grigson always said, go back to game tape, and if Johnathan Banks runs a good 40 at his Pro Day and both Milliner and Rhodes are gone, I think Grigson might go with Banks over Trufant, IMO.

Not a big fan of Johnathan Banks.

Xavier Rhodes is my Top corner, above Milinner.

Just Like Hayward was my 2nd corner behind Claiborne. Why people let Hayward last until the Third round I'll never know.

You are talking about Casey Hayward of Vanderbilt, that rookie Packers' CB, right? Packers moved up in round 2 to draft him, a few picks before the Colts 3rd round pick. Round 2, pick 62 is where he went.

You are talking about Casey Hayward of Vanderbilt, that rookie Packers' CB, right? Packers moved up in round 2 to draft him, a few picks before the Colts 3rd round pick. Round 2, pick 62 is where he went.

ohh yeah you're right. But it was only 2 picks until the third round. Man I wish we would have picked him up.

I've been lazy on my scouting so I won't talk as much as we did last year but I hope we have a Forum Mock draft again, Drama free

I don't see the Colts going with Tavon Austin.  Colts already have a WR with his build and speed. Austin is a TY Hilton clone.

Agree... But we did lead the league in dropped passes ~50 drops.  They'll add another in the draft.  If Hopkins (Reggie Wayne II) or Austin (Wes Welker II) is available...then Pep Hamilton's drop down passing system could be enhanced.  Only If FA takes care of OL and DB...and a large full grown man is not available @ DT, then a top notch WR is okay. FA 6'6" Kelley will help... 

The more I see and hear about Rhodes, the more I want him. If it were me, I'd try to trade up if necessary to get him...With Davis and Rhodes at CB, the Colts would be set for years, (barring injury)

I would love to have Rhodes, but I don't see a feasible trade scenario that would benefit us in the long run. You would pretty much have to give up a future 1st rder. plus a draft pick this yr., and since we only have 5 picks this yr., it just doesn't make sense.

I would love to have Rhodes, but I don't see a feasible trade scenario that would benefit us in the long run. You would pretty much have to give up a future 1st rder. plus a draft pick this yr., and since we only have 5 picks this yr., it just doesn't make sense.

If he lasts this long..Trade our #1 (24) this year and Powers (with a sign and trade), and even possibly a 5th-7th round next year for San Diego's #1 (11)..The Chargers are interested in signing Powers...That could be feasable..but ..i know something like that won't happen..if its even possible..just would be nice to have Rhodes..

Looks like Rhodes will be off the board at #12 or #13.....kinda wish he had not done so well. looks like grigs will choose between Banks and Trufant....both good CB. Id love a scenerio where we trade our 1st and get banks or trufant in second. Id love to stock pile more picks this year. alot of good players have dropped to 2 and 3rd round. so if we can pick up 2 and 3 and maybe a 5 or 6 for our 1st, we would be able to get alot of really decent/good guys that would normallly be 1st or 2nd rounders.

If he lasts this long..Trade our #1 (24) this year and Powers (with a sign and trade), and even possibly a 5th-7th round next year for San Diego's #1 (11)..The Chargers are interested in signing Powers...That could be feasable..but ..i know something like that won't happen..if its even possible..just would be nice to have Rhodes..

Why would the chargers trade for powers when they can possibly sign him for cheap as a UFA?

Looks like Rhodes will be off the board at #12 or #13.....kinda wish he had not done so well. looks like grigs will choose between Banks and Trufant....both good CB. Id love a scenerio where we trade our 1st and get banks or trufant in second. Id love to stock pile more picks this year. alot of good players have dropped to 2 and 3rd round. so if we can pick up 2 and 3 and maybe a 5 or 6 for our 1st, we would be able to get alot of really decent/good guys that would normallly be 1st or 2nd rounders.

I think you are under the wrong impression that grigson must pick a CB in the first round

Why would the chargers trade for powers when they can possibly sign him for cheap as a UFA?

It was just something I threw out there..and,  in my post I stated that something like that won't happen..I was just trying to come up with a way to possibly trade up to get the best (imo) CB out there, that would be perfect for the Colts.

Well using the draft trade chart we are sitting at 24th which is worth 740 points to 16(Rams, They have two first round picks) which is worth 1000 and give up our 3rd (86th selection) but we would also have to give up our 2nd and third next year more then likely to give them fair trade value going by the draft chart http://www.drafttek.com/tradechart.html   

Is a shot at Rhodes really worth that much? I dont know, moving up that high would be closing in on Damontre Moore territory probably, so a tough decision would have to be made....Damontre Moore, I dont care what his combine says, come game day he is a beast, So I'd ask ya....Damontre Moore?.....Xavier Rhodes?

Rhodes will be gone by our pick Dolphins and Bucs have worst secondary then we do. I still think will go DL Richardson,Hankins,or Short all 1st round grades. Redding is the only consistent player on the d-line and he's 33, Moala and Nevis are backups. Chapman,Redding,and one of those three guys would really improve the defense. We can get a good CB in free agency DRC,Talib,Grimes,or Jenkins.

Never discount the fact that teams like to reach for QBs. The draft is stacked with Olinemen, and a decent amount of Dlinemen/LBs. I think there's a pretty decent chance that Rhodes is there at 24. I would not want to trade up for him. If he's gone and anyone else worth taking is gone during our pick, I hope Grigs trades down. Don't reach for a guy like Banks or Trufant because of need. I want a guy that presses anyway, not an off coverage Asante Samuel kind of corner.

Never discount the fact that teams like to reach for QBs. The draft is stacked with Olinemen, and a decent amount of Dlinemen/LBs. I think there's a pretty decent chance that Rhodes is there at 24. I would not want to trade up for him. If he's gone and anyone else worth taking is gone during our pick, I hope Grigs trades down. Don't reach for a guy like Banks or Trufant because of need. I want a guy that presses anyway, not an off coverage Asante Samuel kind of corner.

Not sure trufant is a reach at 24....many think he is neck and neck with rhodes to be the 2nd CB taken

Not sure trufant is a reach at 24....many think he is neck and neck with rhodes to be the 2nd CB taken

I'd take Rhodes do to him being the more physical Corner but they are close, Cant tell what the Colts draft grades say or the board obviously but Rhodes has the better grade on NFL.com, I like both but my eyes tell me Rhodes, problem is Im sure plenty of nfl GM's probably ar ethinking the same thing and most will have a a chance to get him before our pick comes up

These are the only such videos I can find of the two, but for my money I'd probably not want to take Trufant at 24....not that it matters. Trufant is not a press corner, although he can be physical with receivers, he just doesn't jam and run with them like Rhodes does. It just comes down to personal preference but I'd really like to see Rhodes in press on the front side, Davis on the back end, and Butler in the slot....

Another thing I like about Rhodes is he transitioned from being a Wide Receiver to a Corner Back. Gives him a nice advantage of understanding wide receiver tendencies and anticipated routes based on formation.

He's what we've always dreamed of ever since we started getting tired of Polian's undersized zone DBs..I want him bad.

Actually, I have dreamed of a monstrous front seven. This forum wants to build a defense like Polian builds offense....from the outside in instead of inside out.....and I don't get it.

Actually, I have dreamed of a monstrous front seven. This forum wants to build a defense like Polian builds offense....from the outside in instead of inside out.....and I don't get it.

Hey, I've preached for yrs. about building a team from the inside out. I constantly talk about building the trenches, but IMO where we'll be picking at #24, if Rhodes is still available, he would be the best value on the board. I'm not sold on some of the DT/DE talent once you get past a few players. Many of them are smaller 4-3 DT's that would have to switch to 3-4 DE's. Yeah, that transition isn't a huge deal, but it's just my opinion that the drop off in talent you could get in the 3rd rd or 4th rd. isn't that big from what we could get at #24.

Hey, I've preached for yrs. about building a team from the inside out. I constantly talk about building the trenches, but IMO where we'll be picking at #24, if Rhodes is still available, he would be the best value on the board. I'm not sold on some of the DT/DE talent once you get past a few players. Many of them are smaller 4-3 DT's that would have to switch to 3-4 DE's. Yeah, that transition isn't a huge deal, but it's just my opinion that the drop off in talent you could get in the 3rd rd or 4th rd. isn't that big from what we could get at #24.

I know you have. I'm not opposed to selecting a CB at 24....but this forum seems obsessed with drafting a corner in the first. First it was Amerson, then Banks, and now Rhodes...and some want Trufant.