Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't Give Up On Collins Yet

Andy

Yes, he had a pretty bad game today, but keep in mind he's only been with the Colts for 3 weeks; he's still learning. The O-line is terrible, especially Jeff Linkenbach. He has barely anytime to throw, but he still made some nice throws today to Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. He needs time, a man can't save his football team with only 3 weeks of training. Now, stop turning your backs on him and realize that he's still got some talent, and with time and a better O-line, he could excel in this offense. THoughts?

Yes, he had a pretty bad game today, but keep in mind he's only been with the Colts for 3 weeks; he's still learning. The O-line is terrible, especially Jeff Linkenbach. He has barely anytime to throw, but he still made some nice throws today to Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. He needs time, a man can't save his football team with only 3 weeks of training. Now, stop turning your backs on him and realize that he's still got some talent, and with time and a better O-line, he could excel in this offense. THoughts?

TBH the Oline minus Linkenbach was not that bad. Collins had prob twice the time Manning needs to throw and he still got sacked

He has no pocket awareness, cant fix that

His passes, when some we were wide open were nasty

He was prob the main reason we lost today

Now if Link goes or gets better, Collins could be a bit better... But how much really?

Not here to bash it, I respect you as a member and awesome contributor. I was all for Collins, but I kicked off the shades studying the game today.

Did he improve? YES. He didn't start fumbling until the second half, sweet. Here is our problem that I posted somewhere else:

Unless we can continously pound the ball on the ground for over 100+ ypg, he will not generate ANYTHING. He NEEDS to check down, hit slants, etc, to be succesful in this system. He will never learn the whole playbook or be capable of audibling. At best, he is a manager who needs someone else to take over the load. He does not lead and it is beyond clear on the sideline when no offensive player comes near him. I respect that there were a few drops, but Collins threw some of the most horrible mis-fires I've ever seen with NO pressure today. Wide open receivers getting missed is okay once, but not several times. Is it all his fault? Absolutely not. Link is trying his best to get him destroyed and mamed (I'm convinced someone on the offense has it out for him, paid Link, and wants Curtis... Sneaky Reggie). This situation is not going to improve much more; He is 38 and it will not get prettier. He will always fumble, always get sacked, and always be a liability to choke the game away. The playoffs are a laughable thought with him at quarterback, and that is fine, all I ask is we throw Curtis in after a few more losses.

(As for being here almost 4 weeks now... No excuse. He did not "forget" how to hit wide-open receivers).

TBH the Oline minus Linkenbach was not that bad. Collins had prob twice the time Manning needs to throw and he still got sacked

Now if Link goes or gets better, Collins could be a bit better... But how much really?

This, This, This. There were plays he could've rivaled golden Tom Brady for time in the pocket... and still took the sack.

WE dropped a couple of passes...and the protection wasnt always good...

//I thought Kerry was better than he was against Houston..

but still just average....

There was a key pass interference call we didnt get...

..and 4 field goals that should have been 3 TDs and a field goal..

We just have to live with him as he gets used to his teammates....Curtis Painter is not an option...

..not against the Pittsburgh Steelers...

The colts will not bench Linkenbach until he starts inviting defenders to hit the QB, the whole "he's only been here for 3wks stuff" doesnt hold any cause that did not make him turn the ball over all 3 times... He's always been known to be inaccurate and it showed in the colts game.

I think you're right...

The misconnections..are him not knowing the tendencies and strides of his receivers..

he just doesn't know them that well.....and we have a make-shift line......Peyton covered for that...

.....It'll get better but if we're 0-4....I dont know of a realistic playoff run at that point..

The Steelers are a mean....angry team..I worry for Kerry's health next Sunday...

WE dropped a couple of passes...and the protection wasnt always good...

//I thought Kerry was better than he was against Houston..

but still just average....

There was a key pass interference call we didnt get...

..and 4 field goals that should have been 3 TDs and a field goal..

We just have to live with him as he gets used to his teammates....Curtis Painter is not an option...

..not against the Pittsburgh Steelers...

I could just see collins throwing 3 ints in the steelers game... something tells me he's gonna be a big blemish come that game.

Was it all Collins fault? No! There were some dropped passes, but IMO the o-line done a good job protecting him today and they done well for the most part in run blocking. The problem was Collins took absolutely forever to make a decision and no o-line can pass protect for what seemed like an eternity for him to make his reads.

Collins was never going to replace Peyton. He was never going to come in and throw for 350 yards 3 tds and carry the team on his back the way Manning has done. He was brought in as a decent, veteran QB who would probably do a better job than Curtis Painter. So far his play has been average, but he is not the reason that we are losing. So I am not giving up on Collins or blaming him. I blame Bill Polian for failing completely and utterly in recent drafts, and we are now paying for that.

The fault can't go all on him. Yes at times he held the ball to long, but the offensive line is just not good... at all. The defense needs to improve also...

he's holding the ball because he's not used to his teammates....

...we had some passes dropped...today..

It unrealstic that we ask him to be better than average yet...

with 4 weeks practice

Hard to believe that just a month or two ago it seemed like everyone wondered how Painter had a job. Now they want him starting. I really don't think that going from an average old qb to a bad young one will do much to improve things but who knows.

They might give Painter a whirl next time they get blown out which will probably be next week vs Steelers, :(....

wats in the water ur drinking ? COLLINS LOOKS LIKE MY GRANDFATHER

I didnt read through the thread, just responding to the OP. Love your optimism, but Collins is always going to be an aged, slow, bad mechanical, and unaccurate QB from here on out. We will do nothing much with him IMO and other options have to be considered.

Collins was never going to replace Peyton. He was never going to come in and throw for 350 yards 3 tds and carry the team on his back the way Manning has done. He was brought in as a decent, veteran QB who would probably do a better job than Curtis Painter. So far his play has been average, but he is not the reason that we are losing. So I am not giving up on Collins or blaming him. I blame Bill Polian for failing completely and utterly in recent drafts, and we are now paying for that.

Very intelligent and well-articulated post.

Hard to believe that just a month or two ago it seemed like everyone wondered how Painter had a job. Now they want him starting. I really don't think that going from an average old qb to a bad young one will do much to improve things but who knows.

except he wasn't average... he completed around 10 throws throughout the whole game and 9 when the browns knew they won it...

he throw a td in garbage time and had a INT (although i'd admit that wasn't much his fault)

He lost the game today, he couldn't convert a 2nd nor 3rd down for the most part, while the running game was actually good. The Guy had time and oppurtunites that Manning hardly ever gets

and he fumbled the ball a couple of times too

only in the first quater was he average, besides that he was very mediocre

im sorry how is barely eclipsing 100yds average? lol collins is an old cat and he needs to go back to retirement... he cannot change his throwing motion, he will not get more accurate, he will not get rid of the ball quicker.... He's just not the best QB for the colts AT ALL

Collins did not look great today that's without question but that's the way Collins has been his whole career he's very streaky. It also didn't help that Garcon, Collie, and Clark all dropped very catchable balls today (ones that hit them in the hands). Add to that two really bad missed PI's and you quickly see why Collins is struggling. Collins has got to learn to hold on to to football. Frankly we need to run more no huddle with him that's when he's looked the best in our offense. He looked good at the start of the game doing it and towards the end (yes I know against soft defense). He needs the guys around him though to step up and catch the ones that are catchable and not have the drops on easy ones like they those guys did today.

Also for those calling for Painter (just in general) go back and watch more than the first half of the Packers game and you'll see he had much the same issues that Collins is having. What we are seeing is what life is like without Peyton Manning. That's why I said for so many years it didn't matter who the back up was if Manning went down we were in deep trouble. I drank the koolaide with Collins trying to be hopeful but sadly that is proving to be right. Also look at the Packers defense threw two games it is very possiable that Painter game vs. the Packers secondary was a product of the Packers just not being very good on pass defense.

Lord no .....Smitty.....

Dont get carried away..You've seen Curtis, bless his soul...

Not next week. Not against the Steelers...'

No how..No way..

Yes i have seen curtis painter, and for a guy who wasnt practicing until this off season he did a pretty good job... I am so tired about ppl saying he's been in the system.. its kinda hard to produce when you dont practice at all lol

Well, Ill give Collins a pass on timing routes and chemistry, but fumbles I wont.

He should NEVER lose the ball, and he has done it more in two games than Manning has for a number of seasons.

And while I dont advocate starting Painter, I dont see a problem with him going in when the game is obviously out of hand. At least they could reinforce their opinion of his abilities.

And Smitto, no, he hasnt just started practicing this off-season, he has been with the team a while, long enough to be MUCH better than he is, he just cant get it going in an actual game situation. If he could, Id agree, but he feels pressure that isnt even there.

Well, Ill give Collins a pass on timing routes and chemistry, but fumbles I wont.

He should NEVER lose the ball, and he has done it more in two games than Manning has for a number of seasons.

And while I dont advocate starting Painter, I dont see a problem with him going in when the game is obviously out of hand. At least they could reinforce their opinion of his abilities.

And Smitto, no, he hasnt just started practicing this off-season, he has been with the team a while, long enough to be MUCH better than he is, he just cant get it going in an actual game situation. If he could, Id agree, but he feels pressure that isnt even there.

And what practice is that? peyton takes all the practice reps buddy, scout? yes but other than that nothing at all.

I did read this today after I heard it on the broadcast, you know how Favre holds the INT record for a QB, guess who holds the fumble record for a QB? Mr. Collins. It's clearly part of the reason he's been a journyman QB. With that said you aren't going to win many games in which your jounry many QB is asked to throw the ball 40 times.

im sorry how is barely eclipsing 100yds average? lol collins is an old cat and he needs to go back to retirement... he cannot change his throwing motion, he will not get more accurate, he will not get rid of the ball quicker.... He's just not the best QB for the colts AT ALL

191 yards, 1 TD 1 Int is average to me. And who in your opinion would be a better option right now since Collins is so terrible? Jake Delhomme? Painter?

I did read this today after I heard it on the broadcast, you know how Favre holds the INT record for a QB, guess who holds the fumble record for a QB? Mr. Collins. It's clearly part of the reason he's been a journyman QB. With that said you aren't going to win many games in which your jounry many QB is asked to throw the ball 40 times.

lol maybe the colts actually got collins so that they could tank the season, cause they knew he was gonna suck.

191 yards, 1 TD 1 Int is average to me. And who in your opinion would be a better option right now since Collins is so terrible? Jake Delhomme? Painter?

Late in the 4th quarter thats when collins started piling up those yards cause the defenders were playing off which gave him the chance to dink and dunk.. most of those yards came after the catch as well. going in to the 2nd half he was no more than 115yds i believe... thats not very good.... the better Qb is painter, he has a better pocket presence, more accurate, better throwing motion and mobile. ppl have this excuse that collins is lacking BECAUSE he only had 3wks... if that is the reason let painter start.

Late in the 4th quarter thats when collins started piling up those yards cause the defenders were playing off which gave him the chance to dink and dunk.. most of those yards came after the catch as well. going in to the 2nd half he was no more than 115yds i believe... thats not very good.... the better Qb is painter, he has a better pocket presence, more accurate, better throwing motion and mobile. ppl have this excuse that collins is lacking BECAUSE he only had 3wks... if that is the reason let painter start.

becuase what we saw of Painter in the pre-season outside of really one quarter vs. the Packers (he started that good poorly) he stunk up the joint. A month ago it was anyone but Painter. If Painter was the better QB Collins wouldn't be here in the first place.

And what practice is that? peyton takes all the practice reps buddy, scout? yes but other than that nothing at all.

First, knock of the attitude. We get that you are in love with Painter. We get that you are peved that he isnt starting over a guy the Colts brought in specifically because they dont think Painter can get it done.

You are just about alone in that too.

None of that is a good reason to lash out at everyone who questions your posts...

You think he sits around doing nothing? Who practices with the second team? Addai?

Add to that the fact that he is in his 3rd year, and knows the system as well as Manning, and is mentored by Manning, and STILL cant handle the pressure during games, and he is a worse option than Collins.

Painter cant cut it playing in the NFL, he has proved it time and time again.

Do you honestly believe the Colts would spend 4 million dollars on a guy who was no better than the guy already on the roster?

The word delusional comes to mind....

You can have all the physical and mental tools in the world, but if you cant get it done when it counts, it makes no difference.