Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Schwenke

post-909-0-87046800-1361837167_thumb.jpg

This guy has impressed me when he performed at the combine.  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but when I watched him he seemed more athletic than the majority of O linemen out there.  When you look at his results they aren't too shabby.  He ran a 4.99 40 yd dash, which isn't bad for a guy who weighs 314 lbs.  He recorded the best (or one of the best) 3 cone drill times of the entire OL.  Which holds alot of value when you think about it.  If he is agile, he has a better chance on getting up the field and throwing a block.  He also put up 31 reps on the bench press. 

With his speed and strength I don't understand why NFL.com has Schwenke ranked at a low 3rd round pick.  I would say he deserves to go in the mid to upper second round.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he switched and played guard or tackle(He played guard up until his senior season at Cal).  He has the speed and agility to get to the second level of defenders and if he gets drafted to a team with a veteran center, he could play at one of those positions and make an immediant impact. 

Of course, I'm not an expert, but this guy has really impressed me.  I think the Colts should look into him.  Does anyone else see this in this guy?

attachicon.gif2540216.jpg

This guy has impressed me when he performed at the combine.  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but when I watched him he seemed more athletic than the majority of O linemen out there.  When you look at his results they aren't too shabby.  He ran a 4.99 40 yd dash, which isn't bad for a guy who weighs 314 lbs.  He recorded the best (or one of the best) 3 cone drill times of the entire OL.  Which holds alot of value when you think about it.  If he is agile, he has a better chance on getting up the field and throwing a block.  He also put up 31 reps on the bench press. 

With his speed and strength I don't understand why NFL.com has Schwenke ranked at a low 3rd round pick.  I would say he deserves to go in the mid to upper second round.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he switched and played guard or tackle(He played guard up until his senior season at Cal).  He has the speed and agility to get to the second level of defenders and if he gets drafted to a team with a veteran center, he could play at one of those positions and make an immediant impact. 

Of course, I'm not an expert, but this guy has really impressed me.  I think the Colts should look into him.  Does anyone else see this in this guy?

Remember, those NFL.com grades are PRIOR to the combine.   I suspect it will take a while, but sooner or later, everyone will have to get re-graded based on combine and pro day workouts....

So, his 3rd round grade may change.    Still,  he's a center...    center's rarely go higher than the 2nd or 3rd round.   It's rare to go in the first.... 

I think the top center last year was Konz, the kid from Wisconsin.   I think he went roughly 55th, toward the bottom 3rd of the 2nd round.   Like some other spots, the position is discounted.

All that said....   I think Schwenke had himself a very good Combine, and I suspect made himself a good deal of money...  he'll likely go a half-round to a full round higher than before....

Good for the kid!

ZBS guy. And you think he can play tackle at 6'3? No.

So...what?  Is 6'4" the absolute cut-off for playing OT?  Ijalana is 6'4" and was drafted to be our RT but that one inch would absolutely prevent anyone else from being able to play the position?  Come on now.

So...what?  Is 6'4" the absolute cut-off for playing OT?  Ijalana is 6'4" and was drafted to be our RT but that one inch would absolutely prevent anyone else from being able to play the position?  Come on now.

Look through every roster in the league and I'd bet you would be very hard pressed to find a single Tackle in the NFL that is under 6'4". Whether the players can handle playing there or not, it's almost like an unwritten rule that teams won't use guys under 6'4" at the tackle position. There may be 1 or 2 somewhere, but as a general rule 6'4" is the cut off.

Look through every roster in the league and I'd bet you would be very hard pressed to find a single Tackle in the NFL that is under 6'4". Whether the players can handle playing there or not, it's almost like an unwritten rule that teams won't use guys under 6'4" at the tackle position. There may be 1 or 2 somewhere, but as a general rule 6'4" is the cut off.

Ok if we're talking about a guy that's, say, 6'1" and to refute the possibility of that guy playing OT you want to say that 6'4" is the cut-off then I can understand that.  But for a guy that's 6'3"?  What possible justification could one give for saying that a guy who's 6'3" could not play OT but a guy who's 6'4" can?  Is that 1" REALLY going to prohibit a player from being able to play a specific position?  Sorry but this just screams absurdity to me.  

Ok if we're talking about a guy that's, say, 6'1" and to refute the possibility of that guy playing OT you want to say that 6'4" is the cut-off then I can understand that.  But for a guy that's 6'3"?  What possible justification could one give for saying that a guy who's 6'3" could not play OT but a guy who's 6'4" can?  Is that 1" REALLY going to prohibit a player from being able to play a specific position?  Sorry but this just screams absurdity to me.  

I don't completely disagree that...that 1 inch makes much of a difference, Im just saying that I've heard NFL execs. talk about it before and have said that 6'4" is the general cutoff for NFL OT's. I did look through most of all the NFL depth charts and was able to find 2 guys that played OT that were 6'3". RT for the Steelers and a backup LT for the Redskins.

I don't completely disagree that...that 1 inch makes much of a difference, Im just saying that I've heard NFL execs. talk about it before and have said that 6'4" is the general cutoff for NFL OT's. I did look through most of all the NFL depth charts and was able to find 2 guys that played OT that were 6'3". RT for the Steelers and a backup LT for the Redskins.

Well saying that it's the "general cutoff" is quite a bit different than saying "And you think he can play tackle at 6'3? No".   I'm not doubting that they prefer an OT be 6'4" or taller but to suggest that they would completely discount a player simply because he lacked that extra inch is the part that seems absurd to me (and I know you weren't suggesting that they would) and I don't believe for a second that any NFL exec, scout, coach or any other type of player evaluator would take a look at a player's stat sheet and say "oh, he's only 6'3"?  well we need an OT and he's an inch too short so....pass."

:)

Well saying that it's the "general cutoff" is quite a bit different than saying "And you think he can play tackle at 6'3? No".   I'm not doubting that they prefer an OT be 6'4" or taller but to suggest that they would completely discount a player simply because he lacked that extra inch is the part that seems absurd to me (and I know you weren't suggesting that they would) and I don't believe for a second that any NFL exec, scout, coach or any other type of player evaluator would take a look at a player's stat sheet and say "oh, he's only 6'3"?  well we need an OT and he's an inch too short so....pass."

:)

I agree. If a guy can play tackle, has good quick feet, long arms, and a strong hand punch, I don't think teams will say "oh, he's only 6'3" so he can't play OT for us". Like you said, they just prefer for an OT to be taller, but I don't think it's the be all end all determining factor.

I agree. If a guy can play tackle, has good quick feet, long arms, and a strong hand punch, I don't think teams will say "oh, he's only 6'3" so he can't play OT for us". Like you said, they just prefer for an OT to be taller, but I don't think it's the be all end all determining factor.

Right, exactly...way too many other factors to take into account (arm length, hand strength, technique, all which you already mentioned) than just height.  Now whether this guy is better suited for a zone or man blocking scheme, that is perfectly valid and I have no idea which scheme he would be better suited for.

So...what? Is 6'4" the absolute cut-off for playing OT? Ijalana is 6'4" and was drafted to be our RT but that one inch would absolutely prevent anyone else from being able to play the position? Come on now.

No, 6'5 is generally the OT cutoff. And is it really so crazy to say that it wouldn't be smart to put a 6'3 ZBS center at OT in a power scheme? Alright then.

No, 6'5 is generally the OT cutoff. And is it really so crazy to say that it wouldn't be smart to put a 6'3 ZBS center at OT in a power scheme? Alright then.

Try reading my post. I never said that...at all. I said it was ridiculous to completely dismiss a player's potential ability to play the OT position based on him being 6'3" and nothing else. That is absurd. We clear now?

Try reading my post. I never said that...at all. I said it was ridiculous to completely dismiss a player's potential ability to play the OT position based on him being 6'3" and nothing else. That is absurd. We clear now?

No, because you're wrong. Name a good 6'3 or less OT ever.

No, because you're wrong. 

Your opinion which I suppose you're entitled to.

Name a good 6'3 or less OT ever.

I don't even remotely care enough to look through the history of good OT's to find out how many may have been 6'3" or less...btw, the "or less" really has no bearing on this conversation because we're not talking about players under 6'3", we're talking specifically about one player who is 6'3".  And I never said he could play OT or that he could not play OT.  What I said was that I can't see any NFL GM, scout, coach, or talent evaluator of any kind looking at a guy's stat sheet and saying " no way could this guy play OT, he's only 6'3".  There are many other things to take into consideration..arm length, hand strength, technique, etc.  Sure, it may be more difficult for a guy who's 6'3" to be a good or great OT but with the right talent and coaching it's not impossible.  

By your thinking, Drew Brees would never have been able to play QB in the NFL.

6'4" is the general cutoff. Micheal Oher is only 6'4", Jordan Gross, Andre Smith, Both of Green Bay's OT's are 6'4", DeWayne Brown, Cameron Bradford, Logan Mankins, Kelvin Beacham(6'3"). Just saying, lot of OT's out there under 6'5", for that being the general cutoff. 

attachicon.gif2540216.jpg

This

guy has impressed me when he performed at the combine.  I don't know,

maybe it's just me, but when I watched him he seemed more athletic than

the majority of O linemen out there.  When you look at his results they

aren't too shabby.  He ran a 4.99 40 yd dash, which isn't bad for a guy

who weighs 314 lbs.  He recorded the best (or one of the best) 3 cone

drill times of the entire OL.  Which holds alot of value when you think

about it.  If he is agile, he has a better chance on getting up the

field and throwing a block.  He also put up 31 reps on the bench press. 

With

his speed and strength I don't understand why NFL.com has Schwenke

ranked at a low 3rd round pick.  I would say he deserves to go in the

mid to upper second round.

I also wouldn't be surprised

if he switched and played guard or tackle(He played guard up until his

senior season at Cal).  He has the speed and agility to get to the

second level of defenders and if he gets drafted to a team with a

veteran center, he could play at one of those positions and make an

immediant impact. 

Of course, I'm not an expert, but

this guy has really impressed me.  I think the Colts should look into

him.  Does anyone else see this in this guy?

I read your opinions & I looked at the best OT 's in NFL history there are 7  HOF'ers less than 6-4  . Even back in the day most were over 6-4 I get it . Dan Dierdorf played all 3 O- line positions like Brian Swenke . I realize his size & strength

are good , But 1 inch in height IMO has hurt him , I looked for him on a

list of OT's there were 20 6-4 & above , No Swenke

I would just point out we will be welcoming back Jeff Saturday for a 1 day contract , He will retire a Colt  Jeff Saturday C  @ 6-2  295 O-lineman . 1 of the best to play that position as a Indianapolis Colt .

The dude can play & from what I see could be a steal in the 3'rd IMO the Colts should snatch him up in the 2'nd ,

Taller & stronger that the center Peyton Manning relied on . A need & best available in 2 or 3 .

I honestly believe he's on Grigsons radar & he should be a COLT .