Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Brady signs extension with Patriots (merge)

Jules

amfootball...

we also thought there was life withouth PM was impossible but disaster happened man, so i guess thats why everyone here is pointing that out, that you might, god forbid, end up in cap hell if something like what happened to 18 were to happen to Brady.

I am honest here, i dont like the pats because they are rivals but i do respect their game, they win and they have a formula and never wish ill to Brady.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perception = reality. Brett Favre signed with the Vikings for two years, $25m. Basically the same average on Brady's five year contract, at the same age for the last two years. And Favre hadn't missed a start in 17+ years when he signed that deal.

And if the contract is fully guaranteed with no out clauses for the Pats, as it's being reported, then there is no protection. There might be insurance that allows them to recoup some of the cash value of the contract, but they'd still be stuck with a dead cap hit moving forward.

Oh boy where to begin with this. Favre's last year with the Vikes was 2009. QB salaries have done up a lot since then. And Brady is TEN times the QB as Favre so he would be able to command significantly more than Favre MINUS all the drama. Brady could easily get $18-20 per year.

amfootball...

we also thought there was life withouth PM was impossible but disaster happened man, so i guess thats why everyone here is pointing that out, that you might, god forbid, end up in cap hell if something like what happened to 18 were to happen to Brady.

I am honest here, i dont like the pats because they are rivals but i do respect their game, they win and they have a formula and never wish ill to Brady.

You need to re-read the deal. 12 mil a year is not cap heck especially with the new rookie salary cap if the Pats had to replace him.

Oh boy where to begin with this. Favre's last year with the Vikes was 2009. QB salaries have done up a lot since then. And Brady is TEN times the QB as Favre so he would be able to command significantly more than Favre MINUS all the drama. Brady could easily get $18-20 per year.

He is not ten times the qb farve was, no one is, or was. And he could not get 18-20 mill @ 37

Oh boy where to begin with this. Favre's last year with the Vikes was 2009. QB salaries have done up a lot since then. And Brady is TEN times the QB as Favre so he would be able to command significantly more than Favre MINUS all the drama. Brady could easily get $18-20 per year.

I don't mean to be rude but we should all be so lucky to see Brady/Manning or any QB that was Favre's age in 2009 (40) play like Favre did in 2009. He was awesome. People just remember the end of the NFCCG but he was beaten to a pulp at times in that one......

I don't mean to be rude but we should all be so lucky to see Brady/Manning or any QB that was Favre's age in 2009 (40) play like Favre did in 2009. He was awesome. People just remember the end of the NFCCG but he was beaten to a pulp at times in that one......

I know, you know what was wrong with that? Don't people know to respect their elders? I mean cmon, the guy had almost 20 years on some of those players and they were all out there putting "bounties" on him. sheesh. lol

Favre is an all-time great. As are Brady and Manning, and whoever may be the best between them is not so by 10x lol.

I beg to differ in so many ways on this one. I just have to. Favre threw the most picks in NFL history. Brady has the best TD/INT ratio of all time - 2.6/1.  Favre is tied with Manning for MOST playoff losses. Brady has the MOST playoff wins. Favre said the reason why he played his final year in Minnesota despite not having the passion anymore to play was for the MONEY. Brady just signed his SECOND below market contract to help his team remain competitive...Should I go on?

I beg to differ in so many ways on this one. I just have to. Favre threw the most picks in NFL history. Brady has the best TD/INT ratio of all time - 2.6/1.  Favre is tied with Manning for MOST playoff losses. Brady has the MOST playoff wins. Favre said the reason why he played his final year in Minnesota despite not having the passion anymore to play was for the MONEY. Brady just signed his SECOND below market contract to help his team remain competitive...Should I go on?

Playing for almost 20 years without missing a game will make one throw more interceptions. While Brady may be better there's still no way he was that much better lol. If anyone was ten times better than anyone that person would be the greatest football player ever and would be on a pedestal for eternity lol.

Playing for almost 20 years without missing a game will make one throw more interceptions. While Brady may be better there's still no way he was that much better lol. If anyone was ten times better than anyone that person would be the greatest football player ever and would be on a pedestal for eternity lol.

Ok perhaps we are squibbling over semantics. Brady is significantly better than Favre. How's that?

Correction: Favre's first year with the Vikings was 2009, in which year they went to the conference championship, and darn near won.

Secondly, how can anyone be ten times the quarterback as someone who is top ten all time?

Third, there was no drama with Favre in Minnesota.

Fourth, Brady could probably get $18-20m a year, but that's not relevant.

Your charge was that Favre took one year mega deals at the end of his career, and in fact, he did not. That couldn't be further from the truth. There were three years remaining on Favre's ten year contract with the Packers when they traded him to the Jets. The Jets then released him after 2008, at which point he signed a two year contract with the Vikings with an average of $12.5m. (That same year, Kurt Warner signed for two years, $23m, so Favre's contract was right in line with a player of his stature.) Brett Favre did NOT sign one year deals at the end of his career, and the deal he signed for his last two years was NOT a mega deal.

You don't have to denigrate other players in order to appreciate your guy. Heck, I appreciate your guy. But that doesn't mean anyone else is doing anything wrong.

Knowing Brady if something did happen to him, he would void the contract. I don't know why but he does not strike me as the type to put the Pats org over a barrel or greedy. LOL.

Yeah, because you know Brady.

By the way, if he could someone void his contract out of the kindness of his heart, the dead cap hit would still accelerate onto the Patriots cap, per the rules of the CBA. Unless Brady's in-bred philanthropic nature is somehow above what's been collectively bargained.

Correction: Favre's first year with the Vikings was 2009, in which year they went to the conference championship, and darn near won.

Secondly, how can anyone be ten times the quarterback as someone who is top ten all time?

Third, there was no drama with Favre in Minnesota.

Fourth, Brady could probably get $18-20m a year, but that's not relevant.

Your charge was that Favre took one year mega deals at the end of his career, and in fact, he did not. That couldn't be further from the truth. There were three years remaining on Favre's ten year contract with the Packers when they traded him to the Jets. The Jets then released him after 2008, at which point he signed a two year contract with the Vikings with an average of $12.5m. (That same year, Kurt Warner signed for two years, $23m, so Favre's contract was right in line with a player of his stature.) Brett Favre did NOT sign one year deals at the end of his career, and the deal he signed for his last two years was NOT a mega deal.

You don't have to denigrate other players in order to appreciate your guy. Heck, I appreciate your guy. But that doesn't mean anyone else is doing anything wrong.

I took back that "10 times" greater and just said significantly better. Of course it is relevant that Brady could get 18-20 mil per year as he just signed for 12 mil a year. And I think you are forgetting that the last year Favre played for the Vikes he said after the season that he only played because of the money, his heart was not there. Now compare that with what Brady just did today for the second time in his career. And how about how Favre ended things in GB? I mean he roped them along for several seasons with the whole retirement thing. I am not sure if a QB of his caliber has ever gone out in such a poor manner.

I took back that "10 times" greater and just said significantly better. Of course it is relevant that Brady could get 18-20 mil per year as he just signed for 12 mil a year. And I think you are forgetting that the last year Favre played for the Vikes he said after the season that he only played because of the money, his heart was not there. Now compare that with what Brady just did today for the second time in his career. And how about how Favre ended things in GB? I mean he roped them along for several seasons with the whole retirement thing. I am not sure if a QB of his caliber has ever gone out in such a poor manner.

How's about you just leave Brett Favre out of it? Like I said, Brady comes off looking mighty good here. No need to drag others through the mud.

How's about you just leave Brett Favre out of it? Like I said, Brady comes off looking mighty good here. No need to drag others through the mud.

I got a feeling he is not too fond of Packers QBs. lmao

But, yeah moving on. This is about Brady. Leave Grandpa alone!!!!!!

Everything I stated about Favre were facts. No other superstar QB has ever left the game like he did. I don't know why either. It was like he had this personal ax against GB and wanted to make himself seem bigger than life. I never understood it.

i can't stand Pats fans that why I am here. :-)

You're a Pat's fan, but you can't stand Pat's fans. :scratch:   That sounds rather like an oxymoron to me.

Sorta like you are saying that you can't stand yourself  . . . which I'm sure is not what you meant. 

So what exactly did you mean when you said you can't stand Pat's fans?

And, I'm curious as to why you can't stand them . :???:

Everything I stated about Favre were facts. No other superstar QB has ever left the game like he did. I don't know why either. It was like he had this personal ax against GB and wanted to make himself seem bigger than life. I never understood it.

How can you say that?! What you stated about Favre is entirely inaccurate!

I don't care to argue with you over how he ended things with the Packers, save to say that I disagree with your assessment (SURPRISE!) But your opinion is one matter. You don't get your own facts. He didn't sign one year deals at the end, and he didn't sign mega deals either.

How can you say that?! What you stated about Favre is entirely inaccurate!

I don't care to argue with you over how he ended things with the Packers, save to say that I disagree with your assessment (SURPRISE!) But your opinion is one matter. You don't get your own facts. He didn't sign one year deals at the end, and he didn't sign mega deals either

12.5 per year for two years was a mega deal at that time. I am sorry to step on your toes if you are a Favre worshipper but I assure you, I am not the only one with this opinion on him. Allow me to quote Pat Kirwan who said this when Favre finally did retire, "The football world probably needs a few years away from Favre before it will be ready to see him for the QB he was...It's not as if anyone was paying attention during Farve's 20 seasons in the NFL doesn't get it, at least at some level. But it can be hard to find the brighter side of Favre under all the layers of personal tarnish that formed his image in the final years of his career."

12.5 per year for two years was a mega deal at that time. I am sorry to step on your toes if you are a Favre worshipper but I assure I am not the only one with this opinion on him. Allow me to quote Pat Kirwan who said this when Favre finally did retire, "The football world probably needs a few years away from Favre before it will be ready to see him for the QB he was...It's not as if anyone was paying attention during Farve's 20 seasons in the NFL doesn't get it, at least at some level. But it can be hard to find the brighter side of Favre under all the layers of personal tarnish that formed his image in the final years of his career."

Like I said, I'm not interested in debating the Favre saga with you, especially not now that I've been pigeon-holed as a "Favre worshipper."

But $12.5m was NOT a mega deal in 2009. That's slightly more than Kurt Warner at the same time, and not even a top five cap hit for quarterbacks that year. And it's not a one year deal.

You painted this picture of a roving gun for hire, and that's not the way it went.

Like I said, I'm not interested in debating the Favre saga with you, especially not now that I've been pigeon-holed as a "Favre worshipper."

But $12.5m was NOT a mega deal in 2009. That's slightly more than Kurt Warner at the same time, and not even a top five cap hit for quarterbacks that year. And it's not a one year deal.

You painted this picture of a roving gun for hire, and that's not the way it went.

I think we are back to semantics. It was a two year deal but Favre said he would retire after year one but then came back in his words "for the money" in year two. My point which I think has gotten lost in all this is Brady if he played out the last two years of his Pats contract, would get $18-20 mil a year from a team for either a one or two year contract. That was my point. He signed for $12 mil a year and even though it is guaranteed it is far less than what he would have gotten had he left in two years and hit the market.

Yeah, because you know Brady.

By the way, if he could someone void his contract out of the kindness of his heart, the dead cap hit would still accelerate onto the Patriots cap, per the rules of the CBA. Unless Brady's in-bred philanthropic nature is somehow above what's been collectively bargained.

I dont care who you are. That was funny :).

Amfootball reminds me of that Jim Carey movie - just replace Irene with Brady; me, myself and Brady :) (i.e. if one can handle humor in the midst of turbulent forum times :))

I think we are back to semantics. It was a two year deal but Favre said he would retire after year one but then came back in his words "for the money" in year two. My point which I think has gotten lost in all this is Brady if he played out the last two years of his Pats contract, would get $18-20 mil a year from a team for either a one or two year contract. That was my point. He signed for $12 mil a year and even though it is guaranteed it is far less than what he would have gotten had he left in two years and hit the market.

Please provide Link where he said he was coming back for the money. I can't seem to find any

I dont care who you are. That was funny :).

Amfootball reminds me of that Jim Carey movie - just replace Irene with Brady; me, myself and Brady :) (i.e. if one can handle humor in the midst of turbulent forum times :))

Yeah, but I'm a Favre worshipper, of all things...

tumblr_lxpa7aRe4k1r4o75h.jpg

If the difference between "one year mega deals" and "two year deal in line with market values" is semantics...

Good god, this guy does everything short of walking up to Brady and locking lips with him for 20 minutes. And you wonder why I wouldn't stomach another Pats Super Bowl win under Brady and Belichick around here (and why New England not winning the SB is usually my only thing on the NFL playoffs wish list every year).

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/25/roche-tom-brady-is-perfect/

This guy does everything short of walking up to Brady and locking lips with him for 20 minutes. And you wonder why I wouldn't stomach another Pats Super Bowl win under Brady and Belichick around here.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/25/roche-tom-brady-is-perfect/

Well, I do agree with this part:

So, enjoy this Pats fans. And, if you win another Super Bowl over the

next five years…..you can thank Tom Brady for his efforts both on- and

off-the-field.

Brady has gotten a lot of credit over the years for taking less, and giving money back, and in reality, this is the first time he's ever actually done it. But this is a big deal, and it will definitely help the team moving forward.

Unless he got injured or declined, in which case he would get zippo when he hit the open market. He knows better than anyone that Belichick would drop him like a hot potato if he reached a point where he failed to earn his contract. If this contract is fully guaranteed, by signing the extension now Brady gets security against the risk of earning nothing during those final years, and the Pats get considerable cap relief to help them win now. It's a shrewd calculation of the odds on both sides, not charity.

As others have pointed out, the final three years may be at a rate that seems low now, but it may well be appropriate for a QB of that age. And for all you know their is a hand-shake understanding that if he is still playing at a high level they will tear it up and re-write it. Ironically you are applauding perceived ethics, when the entire thing may be an exercise in cap manipulation. I would NEVER expect nor assume that a professional athlete accepts contract provisions out of the kindness of his heart. Even if proved that Brady truly did leave money on the table, the conclusion to be drawn is that he doesn't need the money (as others have said, his wife is wealthy as well) and that winning is more important to him than a little more money in the bank. Whatever that is, it isn't charity. Charity - for example - is giving so much of your money and time to a children's hospital that they slap your name on the side of it.

Well, I do agree with this part:

Brady has gotten a lot of credit over the years for taking less, and giving money back, and in reality, this is the first time he's ever actually done it. But this is a big deal, and it will definitely help the team moving forward.

Unless he got injured or declined, in which case he would get zippo when he hit the open market. He knows better than anyone that Belichick would drop him like a hot potato if he reached a point where he failed to earn his contract. If this contract is fully guaranteed, by signing the extension now Brady gets security against the risk of earning nothing during those final years, and the Pats get considerable cap relief to help them win now. It's a shrewd calculation of the odds on both sides, not charity.

As others have pointed out, the final three years may be at a rate that seems low now, but it may well be appropriate for a QB of that age. And for all you know their is a hand-shake understanding that if he is still playing at a high level they will tear it up and re-write it. Ironically you are applauding perceived ethics, when the entire thing may be an exercise in cap manipulation. I would NEVER expect nor assume that a professional athlete accepts contract provisions out of the kindness of his heart. Even if proved that Brady truly did leave money on the table, the conclusion to be drawn is that he doesn't need the money (as others have said, his wife is wealthy as well) and that winning is more important to him than a little more money in the bank. Whatever that is, it isn't charity. Charity - for example - is giving so much or your money and time to a children's hospital that they slap your name on the side of it.

Who is calling it charity? What it is IS unprecedented at a time when every athtlete wants what is his, see Joe Flacco, Drew Brees, etc. Of course the deal is friendly to both in some regard but make no mistake Brady signed a contract that is well under his value. Whether the sides decide to tear it up at a later date is pure conjecture. Right now, Brady for the second time in his career has left money on the tabel for his teamamates. You know it is one thing to share endorsements with them like he did at the beginning of his career, it is another thing to take less so they can have more in the pursuit of greatness. Brady is one of a kind.

U Charity - for example - is giving so much of your money and time to a children's hospital that they slap your name on the side of it.

Or, in many cases, convincing someone else to give so much of their money, that they slap your name on it.

Just watched the Netflix series House of Cards with Kevin Spacey. That's how he got his name on the library at his alma mater, and it happens all the time just like that. Real charitable...

Or, in many cases, convincing someone else to give so much of their money, that they slap your name on it.

Just watched the Netflix series House of Cards with Kevin Spacey. That's how he got his name on the library at his alma mater, and it happens all the time just like that. Real charitable...

Absolutely. Charities will prostrate themselves in any manner in order to survive, it's "selling" just as much as it is for for profit business. Latching yourself onto a good salesman is part of that, and Peyton is surely a good salesman. The name recognition must attract all sorts of good things for them.

Who is calling it charity? What it is IS unprecedented at a time when every athtlete wants what is his, see Joe Flacco, Drew Brees, etc. Of course the deal is friendly to both in some regard but make no mistake Brady signed a contract that is well under his value. Whether the sides decide to tear it up at a later date is pure conjecture. Right now, Brady for the second time in his career has left money on the tabel for his teamamates. You know it is one thing to share endorsements with them like he did at the beginning of his career, it is another thing to take less so they can have more in the pursuit of greatness. Brady is one of a kind.

Charity in the sense that Pats fans push this as an act of benevolence. "He only cares about winning, money doesn't matter". That's utter nonsense. First of all, his earlier "benevolence" was exaggerated, secondly even if he really is leaving money on the table this time, he's already so filthy rich that he can "choose" to place "winning" as his personal priority. Some wealthy people buy art or cars because that's what makes them feel good, he's buying "wins". His priorities may happen to line up with yours, but don't push it as if it makes him a better person. And as I suggested he may well not be leaving anything on the table in the first place. I would expect the players association to stand on their heads screaming if they thought he was, and no athlete wants to make an enemy of every other player in the league - including his own team-mates. Flacco, but the way, has yet to receive a super-star contract. To expect him to do anything but extract the most he possibly can from his SB victory would be naive and unfair.

To the highlighted, I would agree, and add "thank goodness".