Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Brady signs extension with Patriots (merge)

Jules

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/#ixzz2LwsX7nUT

Tom Brady took a huge step today to ensure he'll retire a Patriot, agreeing to a three-year contract extension that will keep him under center for New England through the 2017 season, when he will be 40 years old.

And apparently he is taking less money too.

For the second time in his illustrious career, Brady is doing something players in this day and age simply do not do: As he did in 2005, Brady, a league source told SI.com, is signing a contract with New England that will pay him significantly less money than the market will bear, in large part to help the Patriots stay competitive for the next five seasons.

Amazingly, according to the source, the deal is for an eye-poppingly conservative $27 million, which is less than half his worth by any measure.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a cap expert but I read this now gives the Pats around 30 million in cap space now for this offseason? :mindblow:

There are also rumors that Welker may return now but nothing is confirmed.

How the Pats always manage this stuff is beyond me. I swear, I envy/hate them at the same time every single season. :panic: They are going to try to add more pieces to get that 4th SB ring for Brady, we all know this. :oops:

sure it has nothing to do with the fact his wife is worth like 340 million dollars lol?

anyways, he is getting 41 million guaranteed so they played nicely with the cap, but he still got some nice $$

regardless is nice to see a top star player realize that he has all the money, he doesnt need more and is willing to work for their team to get more glory

sure it has nothing to do with the fact his wife is worth like 340 million dollars lol?

anyways, he is getting 41 million guaranteed so they played nicely with the cap, but he still got some nice $$

He did it also in 2005 AFTER his third SB when Giesle was still with DiCaprio. Get over it man. NO ONE does this. I don't care who they are or how much money anyone in their family makes. Fact is, he is leaving a boat load on the table and somewhere Joe Flacco just threw up.

He did it also in 2005 AFTER his third SB when Giesle was still with DiCaprio. Get over it man. NO ONE does this. I don't care who they are or how much money anyone in their family makes. Fact is, he is leaving a boat load on the table and somewhere Joe Flacco just threw up.

yes but im not talkinga bout the past im talking about the present...and re read my post i edited it.

btw im not a fan of what flacco is doing i think he is jsut * of he didnt get a deal and now is in some what of a crybaby mode where he gets what he wants or will cry

PM did it once btw

Now I have to hope Belichick the GM takes all that money and gets a top WR on the outside. Forget Welker, get TWO top outside guys to go with the TE beast.

I think you need to keep Welker if possible. Forget the drops at times. You want to replace that dude? He is open 24/7 for Gods sakes and is in sync with Brady.

1. I like Brady. He's arguably the best ever. He's still a Top 10 QB...But we don't know what NE was willing to spend on him at 35, that's all.

Expand
  2. Just be careful with the "Tom Brady: Ultimate Teammate/Citizen/Martyr" storyline.

Expand
  3. Brady wasn't getting some astronomical deal from NE at age 35. Not with their payroll. Not with Ryan Mallett entering Year 3.

Expand
  4. It's impossible to believe now, of course, but the Pats have Ryan Mallet (2 years in) in a similar place Aaron Rodgers was behind Favre.

Expand
  5. If we've learned anything on the Pats, whether it's Matt Cassel, Deion Branch, or whoever--you're not going to put their feet to the fire.

Expand
  6. Everyone tap the brakes on this "Tom Brady is a martyr" storyline for a second. He's 35. We have no idea what NE was offering.

food for thought...and btw they can also just redo the deal 3 years from now

Here are some details of the previous contract: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/sports/football/11brady.html?_r=0

4 yr. extension signed in 2010 for $72 mil. for the years 2011 - 2014, 3 yr. extension for $27 mil. to last till 2017

If my math is right, that is the last 7 years for $99 mil., around $14 mil. on average when Brady will end up being 38 by the end of that contract. Basically, Brady will retire a Patriot, in all likelihood.

Definitely not peanuts, but definitely not Brees or Peyton money. Heck, Peyton might re-structure too as time goes on, we wont know till he gets into year 2 with the Broncos when he has to pass a physical. Peyton re-structured a few times with the Colts as well.

But yes, cap friendly deals are what team oriented QBs should do and props to Brady for that. I am sure several QBs around the league sign cap friendly deals as well that we dont talk about.

1. I like Brady. He's arguably the best ever. He's still a Top 10 QB...But we don't know what NE was willing to spend on him at 35, that's all.

Expand
  2. Just be careful with the "Tom Brady: Ultimate Teammate/Citizen/Martyr" storyline.

Expand
  3. Brady wasn't getting some astronomical deal from NE at age 35. Not with their payroll. Not with Ryan Mallett entering Year 3.

Expand
  4. It's impossible to believe now, of course, but the Pats have Ryan Mallet (2 years in) in a similar place Aaron Rodgers was behind Favre.

Expand
  5. If we've learned anything on the Pats, whether it's Matt Cassel, Deion Branch, or whoever--you're not going to put their feet to the fire.

Expand
  6. Everyone tap the brakes on this "Tom Brady is a martyr" storyline for a second. He's 35. We have no idea what NE was offering.

food for thought...and btw they can also just redo the deal 3 years from now

LOL! this is hilarious. Ryan Mallett is not Aaron Rodgers. And last I heard the Pats were looking at potentially dealing him. I would entertain this type of reasoning if Brady had done the same thing in 2005 AFTER his third SB. And the fact that he was coming off of one of his best years last season. There is no reason to believe that he would not be performing at a high level for the next 3 seasons or more...

Here are some details of the previous contract: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/sports/football/11brady.html?_r=0

4 yr. extension signed in 2010 for $72 mil. for the years 2011 - 2014, 3 yr. extension for $27 mil. to last till 2017

If my math is right, that is the last 7 years for $99 mil., around $14 mil. on average when Brady will end up being 38 by the end of that contract. Basically, Brady will retire a Patriot, in all likelihood.

Definitely not peanuts, but definitely not Brees or Peyton money. Heck, Peyton might re-structure too as time goes on, we wont know till he gets into year 2 with the Broncos. Peyton re-structured a few times with the Colts as well.

But yes, cap friendly deals are what team oriented QBs should do and props to Brady for that. I am sure several QBs around the league sign cap friendly deals as well that we dont talk about.

If Peyton had been willing to do what Brady just did, he would still be a COLT.

If Peyton ha dbeen willing to do what Brady just did, he would still be a COLT.

Probably true to an extent. But he was obviously willing to do the incentive laden kind that he gave the Broncos. Basically, the Broncos can shove him aside if they want to after year 1, that is how his contract is written (passing a physical after year 1, passing another physical after year 3). His guaranteed money comes in phases, paid for performance and health. I am sure he would have done that for Irsay.

We will have to see how the 2015-2017 portions of Peyton's contract turn out eventually, since we know those 3 yr. numbers for Brady thus allowing us to do an apples to apples comparison then. But then Ashley has no supermodel gigs :) (j/k) for pay for the twins. Regardless, like I said before, props to Brady.

He didn't restructure. He took an extension. You still have the same cap space.

You didn't read close enough:

The upshot of the deal is to give the Patriots massive cap relief in a flat-cap era. He was due to count $43.6 million on the New England salary cap in 2013 and 2014. Now, his cap numbers will add up to $28.6 million in the next two years, a savings of $15 million in cap dollars at a time the Patriots have free agents they want to sign to help keep the team atop the AFC East, which they have dominated since Brady took over at quarterback in 2001.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/#ixzz2Lx7QZWh5

You didn't read close enough:

The upshot of the deal is to give the Patriots massive cap relief in a flat-cap era. He was due to count $43.6 million on the New England salary cap in 2013 and 2014. Now, his cap numbers will add up to $28.6 million in the next two years, a savings of $15 million in cap dollars at a time the Patriots have free agents they want to sign to help keep the team atop the AFC East, which they have dominated since Brady took over at quarterback in 2001.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/#ixzz2Lx7QZWh5

Guess I didn't read close enough. Hopefully they can use the space to re-sign Welker or bring in some other receiver like Harvin or Jennings.

If Peyton had been willing to do what Brady just did, he would still be a COLT.

And I am glad he didn't. Why? Cause I was in the unpopular minority who wanted to move on with just Andrew and rebuild and not Andrew/Peyton or just Manning/lots of draft picks.

I just think it was the right time and Luck was far too good to pass up.

I have no idea how all this works but I swear on a Pats forum some are saying they freed up 15 million in cap space?

Many believe Welker will be getting a chunk now to stay. That Brady does not want a 2006 repeat too when Reche was the #1 WR.

And I am glad he didn't. Why? Cause I was in the unpopular minority who wanted to move on with just Andrew and rebuild and not Andrew/Peyton or just Manning/lots of draft picks.

I agree. I love Luck. Best rookie QB IMO. That being said, Manning had a chance to stay if he would have restructured like Brady just did. No way Irsay could have released him. No way without the wrath of Colts nation.

Knock on wood, but looking like Luck is all that we thought him to be. :)

Everyone needs to go where they are wanted and I am glad it worked out for all.

Probably true to an extent. But he was obviously willing to do the incentive laden kind that he gave the Broncos. Basically, the Broncos can shove him aside if they want to after year 1, that is how his contract is written (passing a physical after year 1, passing another physical after year 3). His guaranteed money comes in phases, paid for performance and health. I am sure he would have done that for Irsay.

We will have to see how the 2015-2017 portions of Peyton's contract turn out eventually, since we know those 3 yr. numbers for Brady thus allowing us to do an apples to apples comparison then. But then Ashley has no supermodel gigs :) (j/k) for pay for the twins. Regardless, like I said before, props to Brady.

I don't wanna get of-topic here, but Manning more than makes up for it with his sponsorship deals.

I agree. I love Luck. Best rookie QB IMO. That being said, Manning had a chance to stay if he would have restructured like Brady just did. No way Irsay could have released him. No way without the wrath of Colts nation.

Impossible to know. I don't think irsay wanted luck on the bench. Pure speculation on your part

I don't wanna get of-topic here, but Manning more than makes up for it with his sponsorship deals.

Maybe you are right. Like I said, I am glad it worked out for all. At least it wasn't like a Brett Favre like saga where you retire, you unretire, and so on...in hindsight, that was cruel to the Packers franchise, IMO.

I am happy how it turned out eventually and would be happy for Peyton if he did well except vs the Colts.

Impossible to know. I don't think irsay wanted luck on the bench. Pure speculation on your part

And I didn't either lol. It seemed completely unfair. He seemed too pro ready even if he got killed at times behind our o line. Aaron Rodgers was NOT ready yet based on what I remember reading from Packers TC in his early years. He was even in danger early on almost falling to third string.

Knock on wood, but looking like Luck is all that we thought him to be. :)

Everyone needs to go where they are wanted and I am glad it worked out for all.

Underrated aspect to our last season was Reggie Wayne IMO. Without him at times from TC to the end I almost cringe........

We needed him bad. And still do. He was our baby sitter. lmao

Brady will forever be THAT guy in Boston history that defied all odds and just when he had the chance to stick it up everyone's nose, he took a discount for the team...TWICE. He is the very definition of winner in every aspect. I will be watching Stephen A. Smith tomorrow who always likes to say how Brady does not defend his guys enough, Welker in particular. How about taking less money Stephen so Wes can get his? Selfless in every aspect of the word.

I know this is tough for you man after your man Rodgers said he would be watching Flacco's deal to up the ante on his own in two years. Your D will still be in the same awful mess apparently as long as Rodgers is there...

I care about Rodger because?

This is incorrect. The dates and structure of Manning's last contract with the Colts made restructuring impossible.

Also, the Patriots don't have the #1 pick in the draft the same year that the best quarterback prospect in 15 years is coming out of college. It's not the same situation.

Kudos to Brady. This is him finally doing what people have been giving him credit for doing over the past several years. While he's not "giving money back," nor is he "taking less money," he is taking a below market contract value over the course of the next five years. He's also getting two more years on his contract, so there's a benefit to him. I'm sure he'd rather negotiate his final two years at age 35 than at age 38. And there's also a benefit to his team, which might allow them to keep the players they need and maybe sign another player or two over the next couple of years.

Manning’s deal is basically a 2 year deal now, all guaranteed. His situation is   different considering  the health incentives that were negotiated as a safeguard to the Broncos . The Broncos cap situation is OK even with his contract.  

This is one of the few times when the player actually does both.

He gets three extra years, and his cap hits in 2013 and 2014 go from $21.8m each year down to $13.8m and $14.8m, respectively. So they just gained $8m in cap space in 2013, and $7m in 2014.

They also did away with $5.25m in roster and workout bonuses for 2013. He got a $3m signing bonus. So, to correct my previous post, he actually is taking less money over the next two years than he would have. But he has the three extra years as well. I'm not sure what the guarantees are on any of those base salaries from 2013 to 2017, but there's definitely more security for Brady moving forward.