Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes

GwinnettColt

Hughes was an OLB at TCU. Do you all think that his troubles are that he is struggling to adapt to the DE position?

Maybe they should run him at OLB and see how it works out, especially being that Brackett is out and Angerer is moving inside. I realize that he'd be more fitting for a 3-4 D as far as size is concerned but it may work. Of course, I'm sure Caldwell isn't going to read this and call me to thank me on this.

Just a thought. Your thoughts?

Hughes was an OLB at TCU. Do you all think that his troubles are that he is struggling to adapt to the DE position?

Maybe they should run him at OLB and see how it works out, especially being that Brackett is out and Angerer is moving inside. I realize that he'd be more fitting for a 3-4 D as far as size is concerned but it may work. Of course, I'm sure Caldwell isn't going to read this and call me to thank me on this.

Just a thought. Your thoughts?

My thought is Hughes was not an OLB at TCU and it doesn't make much sense to try to switch him to one now.

to the OP, take a read through this thread if you haven't

The thread title doesn't say anything about him and the possibility of moving to LB but it has been discussed quite extensively so you'll get a lot of information about this. To summarize though, I did my best to find some evidence that Hughes did in fact play OLB in at TCU but I couldn't find it. A lot of the move Hughes to LB talk I think is due a lot of the scouting reports on him. The general consensus appeared to be that he did actually play DE at TCU but was considered too small to play DE in the pros. As a DE he was compared to Mathis who many could also argue he is too small to play DE. These same scouting reports suggested his best value might be to a 3-4 team who could move him to a pass rushing OLB in the mold of a Terrell Suggs or Damarcus Ware. There's a big difference in the responsibility of a 3-4 pass rushing OLB than there is a 4-3 cover 2 OLB. In a 3-4 he would still wind up rushing the passer the majority of the time. We seldom use our LB's to rush the passer so moving Hughes to OLB in our scheme wouldn't make any sense unless he proved he could play well in zone coverage, which is highly unlikely.

You know, I keep seeing this posted here. Admittedly, I did not follow TCU at all, but I was under the impression he played DE and was considered one of the best in that draft.

I believe he was considered the best overall pass rusher but not actually the best DE. Most scouting reports claimed he would be too small to play DE in the pros.

He won the Ted Hendricks award as the best DE in college ball. I don't follow college ball too closely, but if I remember right, he played with his hand in the dirt most of the time (if not all). He has played DE for a long time, that's what he is used to now. Let him stay at DE and see how he progresses. It certainly wouldn't hurt him to gain some muscle on his 255 lbs frame

Jerry Hughes was NOT an OLB at TCU, I'm 90% sure about that. He's a quick guy, but we play a 4-3. You're thinking about using him in a 3-4 defense, which is interesting, but that means we have to switch to a 3-4, and we need to teach him the OLB position. It's not worth it...