Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Final Pre-Combine Off-Season Mock

Free Agency

1) RT Doug Free, Cowboys.  Not currently a FA, but the Cowboys are in cap heck, and he's getting $7MM to be a slightly above average RT.  I'm guessing Grigson can work out a mutually-advantagious deal.  Free has been a 16-game starter for the last three seasons.

2) OG Kevin Boothe, Giants.  Average RG, which would be a HUGE upgrade over McGlynn. 

3) CB Cary Williams, Ravens.  Ravens are also in cap heck.  Williams is a starting-quality CB with his best football ahead of him.  He gives us a starter across from Davis.

4) NT Sammie Lee Hill, Lions.  Detroit is loaded at the position, and he should be a good starter right off the bat.  He and Chapman can form a solid duo.

5) DE Derek Landri, Giants.  He's now a jouneyman, but he's a solid player who won't cost too much.

Colt FAs to be resigned: Butler, Moala, Justice.

Draft

1) OL Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.  A great step towards building that elite OL.  He's a very safe pick, and since he could play center, he becomes an interchangeable part.  He could start at LG if Reitz becomes a perpetual injury risk.  He could start at center if Shipley doesn't show the potential I think he has.  Somewhere, he starts and makes the line much better.

3) OLB Jamie Collins, S. Mississippi.  I'd love to find a stud to replace Freeney, but I don't see it happening this year.  The 1st rounders available to us won't be sure-things.  I can't get my arms around Okafor, but he should be gone by our pick and if he's available, he's probably too risky a pick for my taste.  That could change, but I like Collins in the 3rd, though most have him going in the 4th at this point.  He's got great pass-rush ability and athleticism, but his instincts for the OLB position are in question.  Still, Freeney's position won't require him to do a lot of read-and-react or coverage, so I would over-draft him here and be happy to upgrade the depth.

4) S Josh Evans, Florida.  We need to increase our depth at Safety, and there should be multiple 4th round options at the deepest position in the draft.  Evans was overshadowed by teammate Matt Elam this year, but he was solid in 2012 and he had an impressive East West Shrine.

6) RT Manase Foketi, West Texas State.  330 lb. RT project for the future.

7) DE Brandon Thurmond, Arkansas-Pine Bluff.  Prolific small college pass-rusher who impressed at the East-West Shrine.

Free Agency

1) RT Doug Free, Cowboys.  Not currently a FA, but the Cowboys are in cap heck, and he's getting $7MM to be a slightly above average RT.  I'm guessing Grigson can work out a mutually-advantagious deal.  Free has been a 16-game starter for the last three seasons.

2) OG Kevin Boothe, Giants.  Average RG, which would be a HUGE upgrade over McGlynn. 

3) CB Cary Williams, Ravens.  Ravens are also in cap heck.  Williams is a starting-quality CB with his best football ahead of him.  He gives us a starter across from Davis.

4) NT Sammie Lee Hill, Lions.  Detroit is loaded at the position, and he should be a good starter right off the bat.  He and Chapman can form a solid duo.

5) DE Derek Landri, Giants.  He's now a jouneyman, but he's a solid player who won't cost too much.

Colt FAs to be resigned: Butler, Moala, Justice.

Draft

1) OL Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.  A great step towards building that elite OL.  He's a very safe pick, and since he could play center, he becomes an interchangeable part.  He could start at LG if Reitz becomes a perpetual injury risk.  He could start at center if Shipley doesn't show the potential I think he has.  Somewhere, he starts and makes the line much better.

3) OLB Jamie Collins, S. Mississippi.  I'd love to find a stud to replace Freeney, but I don't see it happening this year.  The 1st rounders available to us won't be sure-things.  I can't get my arms around Okafor, but he should be gone by our pick and if he's available, he's probably too risky a pick for my taste.  That could change, but I like Collins in the 3rd, though most have him going in the 4th at this point.  He's got great pass-rush ability and athleticism, but his instincts for the OLB position are in question.  Still, Freeney's position won't require him to do a lot of read-and-react or coverage, so I would over-draft him here and be happy to upgrade the depth.

4) S Josh Evans, Florida.  We need to increase our depth at Safety, and there should be multiple 4th round options at the deepest position in the draft.  Evans was overshadowed by teammate Matt Elam this year, but he was solid in 2012 and he had an impressive East West Shrine.

6) RT Manase Foketi, West Texas State.  330 lb. RT project for the future.

7) DE Brandon Thurmond, Arkansas-Pine Bluff.  Prolific small college pass-rusher who impressed at the East-West Shrine.

Not sure about Free, but could be an upgrade over Justice.  Do not think I would take Hill unless he can play 3-tech.  Rest of FAs sound good.

Would not Draft Cooper in 1st.  Does not fit blocking scheme.  Cooper is a Zone Blocker and we are a Man blocking scheme.  Would look at Larry Warford OG.

Collins could be a good pick, but I also would look at Branden Jenkins from FSU for DE/OLB.

Do not know much about Evans, so am not sure. An alternative is Shawn Williams from Georgiaks so

Not familiar with last 2 picks, so will have to research.

Good mock

I read an article in Colts Authority about replacing Freeny. They were saying/suggesting that the colts could may end up putting Mathis Where Freeny was. Now I remember mentioning something like this on a post reguarding Arthur Brown. So If this is thier plan then they might end up looking for a OLB that has good range and can cover tight ends, also one who has good range and is solid against the run and can blitz effecively when called to.

I read an article in Colts Authority about replacing Freeny. They were saying/suggesting that the colts could may end up putting Mathis Where Freeny was. Now I remember mentioning something like this on a post reguarding Arthur Brown. So If this is thier plan then they might end up looking for a OLB that has good range and can cover tight ends, also one who has good range and is solid against the run and can blitz effecively when called to.

Arthur Brown would still be a bad fit

Sounds like a job for a one Paul Kruger.

He at least put thought into it rather than an inane list of names that the Colts won't sign any of.

"Sign: Bowe, Wallace, Vasquez, Long, Reed, ad infinitum..."

And who's saying I made an insane list of guys we wont be interested in? I find ties from our coaches to free agents as to who we may sign. And even higher profile players like Ed Reed, Louis Vasquez, Anthony Spencer all have ties to this team.

That's an interesting thought.  Either way, we need an OLB in a bad OLB draft/FA market.  Best we can do is opportunistically add a FA or draft pick to add depth.  The top FA names (Spencer, Kruger) appear in line to get severely overpaid.  Grigson has talked about refusing to overpay for a name.  My gut tells me we're going to have Hughes and Mathis as the starters in 2013, and we'll try to find a better starter than Hughes next year.  Grigson will be open to anything, but that's how I see it playing out...

You lost me at Doug Free

I just meant that Grigson might have to trade for Free.  Maybe some kind of restructuing/extension and trade deal, where we'd give up a draft pick and get Free signed long-term to a more cap-friendly deal.  Free stands out on the Cowboys' roster as someone who could get cut to free up cap space, but trading for him could give the Cowboys some kind of return on him (as opposed to just cutting him).

Arthur Brown would still be a bad fit[/quote

Im not sure about that. Aurthur Brown does basically all of those things very well. Hes very athletic and may be a little small but he still can make big hits. Plus he gts low and uses good form which if you have that size isnt as much of a big deal. To me he could fit the role of SAM OLB. Cover the TE, Stop the run and Blitz.

Not sure about Free, but could be an upgrade over Justice.  Do not think I would take Hill unless he can play 3-tech.  Rest of FAs sound good.

Would not Draft Cooper in 1st.  Does not fit blocking scheme.  Cooper is a Zone Blocker and we are a Man blocking scheme.  Would look at Larry Warford OG.

Collins could be a good pick, but I also would look at Branden Jenkins from FSU for DE/OLB.

Do not know much about Evans, so am not sure. An alternative is Shawn Williams from Georgiaks so

Not familiar with last 2 picks, so will have to research.

Good mock

Y'know, I don't know about Cooper being a zone blocker.  The Combine might clear this up.  I've seen him listed in the 290s and I've seen him listed at around 310.  He's supposed to be very good at Pass pro and run-blocking.  I'm supposing him to be system-diverse, as they say.  But I agree that Warford might be better if we're moving to the power scheme, as rumored.    I don't suppose that Grigs would consider Warford to be a stretch at #24...

I like the positions, but not the players so much...

Free is decent, but isn't a FA and I don't think he is that much of an upgrade over Justice... He has been much better at staying healthy, though.

Williams is overrated.. just not a very good corner.. got abused all season and committed *ic penalties in big games down the stretch....

I like the Boothe pickup...

I'd try to get Collins in the 4th... I'm not too familiar with the last two draft picks, but I think that there will be better options at the positions drafted for the first and third rounds...

JMO, Its not like I'm a scout or anything... your opinion about players is just as valid (if not more so) than mine...

And who's saying I made an insane list of guys we wont be interested in? I find ties from our coaches to free agents as to who we may sign. And even higher profile players like Ed Reed, Louis Vasquez, Anthony Spencer all have ties to this team.

I didn't mean you at all. I was just saying most people throw out a ton of names of which we may get just one. Probably shouldn't have quoted you, but your post didn't really have any thought to it, and I thought the OP deserved more credit for taking the time to think about this list and write it up. I'm sure some people may have found a name or two that they will watch more closely. If you had reasons to not like this person's draft and FA, it might have been better to name why rather than simply saying "Not a huge fan of either free agency or the draft." which doesn't really help explain anything.