Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Concerning Message

WoolMagnet

I just got a message from a fraternity bro who lives in Indy.

I live in Pa so the info I get is slim to none.

Anyway, he told me to frame my Manning jersey because we'll never see him play again.

While this has crossed my mind(I have a bad gut feeling similar to Marvin's "end"), I really haven't heard anyone saying it.

I'm gonna hold out hope that he can return until it is official, but has anyone heard any concrete evidence of this?

He's a pretty smart guy and seems "plugged-in" to Indiana politics.

I hope he's wrong. OBVIOUSLY!

Anyway, he told me to frame my Manning jersey because we'll never see him play again.

While this has crossed my mind(I have a bad gut feeling similar to Marvin's "end"), I really haven't heard anyone saying it.

I'm gonna hold out hope that he can return until it is official, but has anyone heard any concrete evidence of this?

Manning's issue IS A NERVE ISSUE. NOBODY can predict if or when he will come back. The nerve will determine all this.

If Manning's nerve comes back then I am positive he will play another several years. If no progress is made.....

then it's crying time.

The only answer is that we don't know. Marvin's injury and departure from the league made it clear that the Colts organization will give us the runaround. Therefore, we can't believe too much of what they say. It has to be left at that. Joe Montana recently said that he had a similar surgery to Peyton's and he recovered and played.

I believe more is known than we are led to believe.

This whole thing just doesn't feel "right".

I'm confused why more isn't being discussed about Manning's "first" surgery in the offseason.

Does anyone else get the feeling the "first" doctor botched the job? I do.

The message from my friend seemed to suggest he heard something specific about Manning's condition that wasn't very positive.

i was just asking if anyone else had heard something similar.

I am WELL aware the regeneration of nerves and the uncertainty of it all.

Contrary to his advice, I think I'll break out the #18 jersey for the browns game tomorrow. It can't hurt, can it?

I'm confused why more isn't being discussed about Manning's "first" surgery in the offseason.

The message from my friend seemed to suggest he heard something specific about Manning's condition that wasn't very positive.

Contrary to his advice, I think I'll break out the #18 jersey for the browns game tomorrow. It can't hurt, can it?

I think if that were true there would have been a lawsuit filled by now.

Hundreds of people on this site live in Indiana, but I've yet to come across even a good rumor. Do you have reason to believe that your friend has inside information? When Peyton's wife's hairdressers' best friend's former boy friend's poker buddy's roommate's brother comes on here and tells us something concrete, then and only then will I worry.

Hundreds of people on this site live in Indiana, but I've yet to come across even a good rumor. Do you have reason to believe that your friend has inside information? When Peyton's wife's hairdressers' best friend's former boy friend's poker buddy's roommate's brother comes on here and tells us something concrete, then and only then will I worry.

Yea, I trust what he says. He's not a kid. He has some pretty high level "contacts". Maybe he's speculating, maybe it's just what his "gut" tells him. I really don't know what drove him to this speculation. I plan to ask him for more details, believe me.

I'm not taking it as "the law", I only wondered if other "Indy-ites" heard anything.

This whole thing just doesn't "smell" right to me.

Kinda like when 99% of the people on this board said Manning would 100%, no doubt play in the Texans game. I thought different.

I'm not trying to start a rumor, just repeating what a trusted, intelligent, Colts-fan friend told me.

I'm gonna stay positive that a "miracle" will happen and Manning will be back next year.

This year, however, I just don't see it happening.

If you "read between the lines" about what is being said (and not said), it paints a "semi-clear" picture to me.

I hope I'm wrong. Man, do I hope I'm wrong.

We'll just have to wait and see.

As far as a hairdresser's astrologist's preacher's mother's kid's cousin's maid..... I really can't say.

The speculation is really crazy. Im going to take the colts organization at their word for now and hiope the Man is back by Jacksonville or right after the bye.

No offense, but "taking the organization's word" made me laugh.

I'm just gonna hope the guy can play again at some point. Or at the very least, can live a healthy pain-free life.

I'm Sorry I even mentioned this "rumor".

I'm Sorry I even mentioned this "rumor".

I hear you, I have yet to even create a topic.

If I wanted to be yelled at and then spend the rest of the evening defending myself I would just go and say something obnoxious to my _________.

(This post has been self-edited in the interests of avoiding getting yelled at and spending the rest of the evening defending myself.) ;)

The only answer is that we don't know. Marvin's injury and departure from the league made it clear that the Colts organization will give us the runaround. Therefore, we can't believe too much of what they say. It has to be left at that. Joe Montana recently said that he had a similar surgery to Peyton's and he recovered and played.

Montana said similar but he diont have the nerve issue like peyton, I believe

Hidden

Montana said similar but he diont have the nerve issue like peyton, I believe

Manning's issue IS A NERVE ISSUE. NOBODY can predict if or when he will come back. The nerve will determine all this.

If Manning's nerve comes back then I am positive he will play another several years. If no progress is made.....

then it's crying time.

That is correct, all depends on not surgery healing, but if once healed the degree the nerve can regenerate so that the triceps can regain strength , and the degree of that strength if its enough so he can throw the ball well enough to be effective even if not as strong as before

I agree with ya here. I have no doubt that the org. knows more than they are telling us and thats exactly what I would expect from them right now. Obviously we don't know who your buddy is or if he's privy to inside information, but im not sure anybody outside of the doctors, Manning, or the the org. knows whats happening. Im with ya that something about this whole thing just don't smell right with me, but TBH im a naturally suspicious person anyway. I don't trust anybody.

I agree with ya here. I have no doubt that the org. knows more than they are telling us and thats exactly what I would expect from them right now. Obviously we don't know who your buddy is or if he's privy to inside information,

but im not sure anybody outside of the doctors, Manning, or the the org. knows whats happening.
Im with ya that something about this whole thing just don't smell right with me, but TBH im a naturally suspicious person anyway. I don't trust anybody.

I'm not a Doctor and I'm not good looking enough to play one on TV but I do know a LITTLE BIT about this kind of thing and the frustrating thing is not even Manning his DR.s or the organization really would have much of sense of what is happening at this point. I know, personally, while in the big scheme of things this is not very important, it is driving me crazy!

I agree with ya here. I have no doubt that the org. knows more than they are telling us and thats exactly what I would expect from them right now. Obviously we don't know who your buddy is or if he's privy to inside information, but im not sure anybody outside of the doctors, Manning, or the the org. knows whats happening. Im with ya that something about this whole thing just don't smell right with me, but TBH im a naturally suspicious person anyway. I don't trust anybody.

Colts.com has The Polian Corner Part I from 9/13 http://www.colts.com...5a-1f63d7f279ab

In it Bill Polian says about Peyton:

"Not everything is predictable. Not everything can be reduced to a sound bite. Not everything is neat and clean. This is one of those situations that just cropped up, and there wasn’t anything anyone could do to prevent it anymore than there is anything that anyone can do to hasten the healing process. Where we sit right now is that he is healing and recuperating from the operation. That will take some time. When that takes place, hopefully, it will go according to plan and be complete. We’re still left with the question of how soon the nerve in the arm which essentially controls the triceps muscle will regenerate. We don’t know any time frame on either of those situations, and there’s no point in speculating upon it."

Consider that, and then read Nsurg's comments throughout this site. Isn't there enough things to be concerned about with Peyton without resorting to conspiracy theories? The truth has been laid out plain as day, and it isn't exactly all sunshine and roses. They are all just waiting, and just because they are basing their roster moves on the most optimistic medical opinions doesn't mean that they are guaranteeing same. If the nerve never heals, than he will never come back. Perhaps a doctor gave Wool Magnet's friend a dire prediction. Other doctors have predicted he will return this year. In this case their various opinions may be about as relevant as their opinions of the outcome of today's game. We're all just going to have to wait and see about both.

Colts.com has The Polian Corner Part I from 9/13 http://www.colts.com...5a-1f63d7f279ab

In it Bill Polian says about Peyton:

"Not everything is predictable. Not everything can be reduced to a sound bite. Not everything is neat and clean. This is one of those situations that just cropped up, and there wasn’t anything anyone could do to prevent it anymore than there is anything that anyone can do to hasten the healing process. Where we sit right now is that he is healing and recuperating from the operation. That will take some time. When that takes place, hopefully, it will go according to plan and be complete. We’re still left with the question of how soon the nerve in the arm which essentially controls the triceps muscle will regenerate. We don’t know any time frame on either of those situations, and there’s no point in speculating upon it."

Consider that, and then read Nsurg's comments throughout this site. Isn't there enough things to be concerned about with Peyton without resorting to conspiracy theories? The truth has been laid out plain as day, and it isn't exactly all sunshine and roses. They are all just waiting, and just because they are basing their roster moves on the most optimistic medical opinions doesn't mean that they are guaranteeing same. If the nerve never heals, than he will never come back. Perhaps a doctor gave Wool Magnet's friend a dire prediction. Other doctors have predicted he will return this year. In this case their various opinions may be about as relevant as their opinions of the outcome of today's game. We're all just going to have to wait and see about both.

Im not trying to come up with some kind of conspiracy theory, it's just my natural inclination to be suspicious. I was only saying that, of course, the org. knows more than we do. They have access to reports and the doctors that fans do not have. Im not saying anything more than that.

Im taking this one just like the last.

Until someone official tells us Manning wont play again, there is no reason to believe otherwise.

Its a waste of time to speculate too.

For some Im sure its fun, but Im not one of those. Id rather focus on the things with the Colts that could be actually addressed, and Manning healing isnt going to happen faster, or with different personnel so Ill leave it alone.

My opinion is that he will be fine. Probably better than fine when he comes back.

He has played in pain for the last few years. Last seasons surgery was to get rid of some of that pain, and so was this seasons. This last one is the end of it. The surgery works for almost everyone. Id venture a guess that the ones it doesnt work for either overdo it and reinjure themselves, or they werent strong enough to begin with and couldnt get the therapy done.

Manning is a professional athlete. Stronger and in better shape than probably 90% of people who have it.

He will recover faster because of that, but I dont expect to see him play until he is really at 100%.

Besides, Montana came back and played excellent after his. No reason at all to think Manning wont have the same recovery.

The injuries to Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning are in no way related in terms of recovery, rehabilitation, etc.

There is also not a single person who knows what's going on right now. No one has any "inside info" and it's far too early in the process to determine what the long-term effects are going to look like.

Im not trying to come up with some kind of conspiracy theory, it's just my natural inclination to be suspicious. I was only saying that, of course, the org. knows more than we do. They have access to reports and the doctors that fans do not have. Im not saying anything more than that.

Understood. Sorry for any offense.

I'm not naturally suspicious, but I often cynically assume that people are primarily acting in their own self-interest. Fortunately Peyton, the Colts organization, his doctors and all of us want the very same thing, so I don't think there is anything here to be suspicious of.

I wouldn't think too much about Woolmagnet. I live in SD and the guys I work with are saying the same thing, they are just going off ESPN speculation.

It turns out my friend's "source" was Irsay himself.

He has a mutual friend with him and they were talking while playing 18 holes of golf.

Irsay said "not to expect him back this year", and there is "80% chance he won't play again". He would have said 95% chance if it was any other QB.

My friend thinks Archie is gonna sit Peyton down and "talk some sense into him".

But hey, there is STILL a chance.

It turns out my friend's "source" was Irsay himself.

He has a mutual friend with him and they were talking while playing 18 holes of golf.

Irsay said "not to expect him back this year", and there is "80% chance he won't play again". He would have said 95% chance if it was any other QB.

My friend thinks Archie is gonna sit Peyton down and "talk some sense into him".

But hey, there is STILL a chance.

That's extremely disturbing. Any chance that your friend is playing games with you?

Applying those percentages (and involving Archie as if Peyton's long-term health is at stake) makes perfect sense if you were talking about returning this year. He is rushing to return from surgery that takes a long time to heal, and it's pretty foolhardy.

Applying it to his odds of ever playing again make a lot less sense. I haven't read or heard anything to suggest that there is a long-term risk other than the chance of his nerve not regenerating. That shouldn't cause concern for his father, it would just mean that he wouldn't be effective. If there were risk I would fully expect Irsay to be taking the high road and discouraging Peyton from coming back as well - or even refusing to let him play. Why would he want to be party to risking the health of someone who has contributed so much to the franchise?

That's extremely disturbing. Any chance that your friend is playing games with you?

Applying those percentages (and involving Archie as if Peyton's long-term health is at stake) makes perfect sense if you were talking about returning this year. He is rushing to return from surgery that takes a long time to heal, and it's pretty foolhardy.

Applying it to his odds of ever playing again make a lot less sense. I haven't read or heard anything to suggest that there is a long-term risk other than the chance of his nerve not regenerating. That shouldn't cause concern for his father, it would just mean that he wouldn't be effective. If there were risk I would fully expect Irsay to be taking the high road and discouraging Peyton from coming back as well - or even refusing to let him play. Why would he want to be party to risking the health of someone who has contributed so much to the franchise?

My friend would not be messing with me. He was a serious guy back in the late 80's when we were in college. In college in Fla, I knew of 3 Colt fans. Me, him, and another Indy native. Those were the Dickerson years. We were SERIOUS about our Colts, even tho they stunk. I believe the "out for the season" part is true. I just can't see him taking a snap THIS YEAR. Let's face it, does anyone see the playoffs THIS year? If not, why bring Peyton back?

As far as the 80% / 95%. I'm not as sold on the numbers. It sounds like with the nerve issue, no one knows how or when improvement comes. What I read from this is that this "issue" with the nerve / neck is a very serious and "touchy" thing. The doctors have done all they can and Manning's body is now gonna do what it wants when it wants. I think the 80% / 95% thing just CLEARLY defines how difficult it will be for him to make a comeback at all. He did say Irsay is a "different" kind of guy so who knows what he was saying all day. I DO find it hard to believe Irsay would just say "hey, by the way Peyton won't play this year". He does seem extroverted tho(see his Tweets), on you let your guard down on the golf course let alone they might have been drinking. But overall, yes, I believe my friend wouldn't joke or exagerate.

The comment about Archie was my friend's opinion. He thinks Archie is gonna point out Peyton has plenty of $ for him and his kids, he just had twins, he's 37(only a few years left), etc.

My friend would not be messing with me. He was a serious guy back in the late 80's when we were in college. In college in Fla, I knew of 3 Colt fans. Me, him, and another Indy native. Those were the Dickerson years. We were SERIOUS about our Colts, even tho they stunk. I believe the "out for the season" part is true. I just can't see him taking a snap THIS YEAR. Let's face it, does anyone see the playoffs THIS year? If not, why bring Peyton back?

As far as the 80% / 95%. I'm not as sold on the numbers. It sounds like with the nerve issue, no one knows how or when improvement comes. What I read from this is that this "issue" with the nerve / neck is a very serious and "touchy" thing. The doctors have done all they can and Manning's body is now gonna do what it wants when it wants. I think the 80% / 95% thing just CLEARLY defines how difficult it will be for him to make a comeback at all. He did say Irsay is a "different" kind of guy so who knows what he was saying all day. I DO find it hard to believe Irsay would just say "hey, by the way Peyton won't play this year". He does seem extroverted tho(see his Tweets), on you let your guard down on the golf course let alone they might have been drinking. But overall, yes, I believe my friend wouldn't joke or exagerate.

The comment about Archie was my friend's opinion. He thinks Archie is gonna point out Peyton has plenty of $ for him and his kids, he just had twins, he's 37(only a few years left), etc.

In your earlier comments I didn't grasp that your friend was also a die-hard Colts fan. That certainly changes the perception, and that must have been something special for him to be playing golf with the Colts owner. I wonder if he played it cool or peppered him with questions.

I'm on the same page with you, and if he was my son I'm sure I would also be urging caution. Peyton obviously has an incredible desire to compete, and "give up" isn't in his vocabulary. One day reality is bound to snap that string - but I sure hope it isn't for years. Of course at that point he may well become an incredibly competitive coach of some kind. If so I hope it's with the Colts!

In your earlier comments I didn't grasp that your friend was also a die-hard Colts fan. That certainly changes the perception, and that must have been something special for him to be playing golf with the Colts owner. I wonder if he played it cool or peppered him with questions.

I'm on the same page with you, and if he was my son I'm sure I would also be urging caution. Peyton obviously has an incredible desire to compete, and "give up" isn't in his vocabulary. One day reality is bound to snap that string - but I sure hope it isn't for years. Of course at that point he may well become an incredibly competitive coach of some kind. If so I hope it's with the Colts!

Oh yea, big Colts fan. Lots of pics on his faceBook at the stadium in Colts gear.

I don't know about how many Q's he asked but I'm gonna get more details from him.

He's a very warm personality with a million $ smile. A great guy who is great conversation and is easy to open up to. He's a lawyer now so he certainly does know how to question I'm sure. haha

I just recently made contact with him and other fraternity bros on facebook.

Funny story. I was evicting some "whackos" from a commercial property I rent. I had to start a facebook page because someone else stated a page with my name recently (the whackos). I needed a page to report them as acting like me. I HATE FACEBOOK! Dangerous thing. Anyway, thru this, I started having old friends contacting me. So it actually turned out to be a good thing.

See -- that's my fear.

If there is a chance that his quality of life down the road will be impacted by this injury -- or further more serious injury is something occurs again...then he'll have to evaluate what he wants his life to be in 20 - 30 -40 years.

He's got enough money to keep him, Ashley and the kids set for life.....I think dad/ashley may want him to have his health to enjoy it.

Forgive me if I am skeptical about the source and many other things in the thread.

1) My tendency is to not give much credibility to anything that starts with "my fraternity brother said"

2) Irsay recently tweeted that Manning will be back with another 3-4 excellent years once he comes back. Certainly counter to your story.

3) Archie is going to talk sense into him? First off, does anyone really believe the doctors would clear him to play if he is more at risk for a threatening injury than he would have been otherwise?

4) Lastly, his recovery will happen or it won't. Anything past that is speculation for the uninformed. No sense in putting a whole lot of thought or worry into it.

See -- that's my fear.

If there is a chance that his quality of life down the road will be impacted by this injury -- or further more serious injury is something occurs again...then he'll have to evaluate what he wants his life to be in 20 - 30 -40 years.

He's got enough money to keep him, Ashley and the kids set for life.....I think dad/ashley may want him to have his health to enjoy it.

And there's the bigger question...not CAN he play again? We'll find that out soon enough.

But SHOULD he play again?

Especially when what you posted is entirely possible, and it goes to Peyton's desire to take what almost certainly will be SOME measure of additional risk above what is normal.

We all want him to come back and have another 3-4 years, and win another ring or two.

But IMO....if I were him I'd be giving strong consideration to retirement.

I think if that were true there would have been a lawsuit filled by now.

If true, why in the world would they file a lawsuit now and draw the resulting attention??

Don't know what the statute of limitations is - but has to be at least a couple of years. Plenty of time for that later....

2) Irsay recently tweeted that Manning will be back with another 3-4 excellent years once he comes back. Certainly counter to your story.

Irsay is just trying to keep seats filled aand ticket prices high. Isn't that obvious?

3) Archie is going to talk sense into him? First off, does anyone really believe the doctors would clear him to play if he is more at risk for a threatening injury than he would have been otherwise?

Of course the doctors would clear him. Isn't Collie cleared and back after several concussions - and there clearly a higher risk to him. The docs would tell Peyton - "you can play, but understand you run a higher risk of x/y/z".

If I were Peyton and were able to come back, but to this current team, I'd retire. Too much risk of getting sacked A Lot!!! Sitting in a wheeelchair paralyzed has to be much more possible after his neck surgery.

Im calling nonsense.

Something isnt right about the whole thing. Someone knows Irsay personally? And if not, they are able to get close enough to overhear him while playing golf?

Ok, fine, for the moment, lets say it actually happened.

Where were they playing, when were they playing, and how was your friend able to get so close?

If you cant answer all 3, its nonsense.

Also, if the situation is so dire, why was Manning at practice? And joking with people as well?

Either Manning was an impostor, or someone got their facts WAY wrong...