Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Round, Pick #24

Reasons for want I say

Rd 1- Luck need because no franchise QB. BPA IMO is debatable

RD 2- Fleener need because no TE, plus Luck;s BFF from Stanford. Not BPA as there was 3 other players at least rated better than him.

Rd 3- Allen was a need, but IMO BPA

Hilton was a need to improve ST and Slot Receiver position

Rd 5- Brazil was a need to improve ST and Slot

Chapman was a need to anchor new Defensive scheme. IMO BPA

Rd 6- Ballard BPA

Rd 7- Fugger need for new D scheme

I might have Brazil and Ballard switched but IMO this is why we drafted the way we did.

I do agree on Fleener, i was sure we were after Upshaw, but i really think Allen was BPA not need. you probably mean janoris jenkins also, but i think him and Irsay just took him off the board because of character issues...but thats debatable like you mention, cause no way i know what they were thinking :)

I dont think we traded up in TY because of a need just because he just saw something in him..

Chapman i agree it was BPA,

i agree that Brazil improves WR overall but if you say he goes for need instead of BPA, there was a much higher need for CB than WR so it didnt make any sense taking a WR if you are going for needs when there are plenty more obvious needs (CB/DE/OG)

Luck was just perfect it was both need and BPA...who was a better player in your opinion at #1?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why so many people are mentioning us with a DT/NT is because we need one badly. I'm all in favor of it taking one, ideally Floyd, but he should be gone before then. Same thing with Cooper. Don't think he'll still be around. 

I think we're going to go big on O-line in Free Agency, so I'd be ecstatic if we could get a great talent like Floyd.

Why don't you think we would go into the season with who we have now at WR? It's exactly who we went into last season with, with the exception of Avery. With a yr. of experience under the rookie's belts next season, I could easily see us going into the season with who we have right now. I could however, see us drafting a WR later in the draft or sign a low level FA. We are not nearly as bad off at WR as a lot people make it out to be. Like I said, If we do not add a WR we'll go into the season with pretty much exactly who we had last season and they'll all have a yr. of experience.

Brazil getting another year of experience may well show that he's better than Avery anyway.  My worry at WR is that we need to groom a sucessor for Reggie this year.  I love Reggie but after this coming season, I'd like to see him back in the #2 position.

I do agree on Fleener, i was sure we were after Upshaw, but i really think Allen was BPA not need. you probably mean janoris jenkins also, but i think him and Irsay just took him off the board because of character issues...but thats debatable like you mention, cause no way i know what they were thinking :)

I dont think we traded up in TY because of a need just because he just saw something in him..

Chapman i agree it was BPA,

i agree that Brazil improves WR overall but if you say he goes for need instead of BPA, there was a much higher need for CB than WR so it didnt make any sense taking a WR if you are going for needs when there are plenty more obvious needs (CB/DE/OG)

Luck was just perfect it was both need and BPA...who was a better player in your opinion at #1?

TY was a need just like Brazil.  We had let Garcon leave and IMO F.O. were worried about Collie's and Avery's injury history.  TY was projected for bottom of 4th round - top of 5th.  We could have got him then and still drafted a 4th rounder, IMO.

Its no secret Colts biggest weakness is OL and Secondary. I believe Colts will most certainly go CB in the 1st bc there are no shutdown CBs that are worth the kind of money, unlike OL which has many strong players in FA. and with warmack, fisher, and johnson off the board #24 will be a CB. 

Banks, Rhodes, Trufant

All have the skills to come in and play on the first line and make Vontae work harder.

I've been looking at a lot of mock drafts and compiled some names that different people have been predicting the Colts might take with their first round pick.

Out of the below mentioned players, who do you feel the Colts have the best chance at picking up, and who do you want with the 24th pick?

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State                                               

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia

Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina

Also put my favorites from the list in Bold.  I'm not so sure Ansah will be able to play 3-4 OLB.  I think his best fit is a 4-3 DE.  Cooper is a smaller zone blocking guard ans we are moving towards a bigger, stronger man blocking scheme,  Short is probably best served as a 4-3 DT and I am not high on drafting a NT unless it's Williams who has experience playing DE in a 3-4.  I don;t like how light Banks is for being 6'2".  Might get pushed around by bigger, more physical receivers.

Would that be the same Trent Richardson that averaged 3.6 ypc behind Joe Thomas at LT? Way to stick it to me.

Joe Thomas is the best pass blocker in the league, but far from an elite run blocker. Richardson played a lot of last year injured, he's a great running back.

Far from elite? No, he's definitely an elite run blocker too.

What are you basing this on? The Browns are a mid-level run blocking team. Here is one quote from Pro Football Focus, I can find more for you if you want...

"Stud: In the upcoming weeks or so we’re going to do a piece on how often (per second) Joe Thomas (+25.6) gives up pressure compared to the rest of the league. It’s stunning how shutdown he is. Now, if only his run blocking matched up to his work in the pass game."

He is a pretty good Run Blocker, to use him to gauge how successful Trent Richardson can be because he is the best Pass Blocker in the league isn't really fair.

What are you basing this on? The Browns are a mid-level run blocking team. Here is one quote from Pro Football Focus, I can find more for you if you want...

"Stud: In the upcoming weeks or so we’re going to do a piece on how often (per second) Joe Thomas (+25.6) gives up pressure compared to the rest of the league. It’s stunning how shutdown he is. Now, if only his run blocking matched up to his work in the pass game."

He is a pretty good Run Blocker, to use him to gauge how successful Trent Richardson can be because he is the best Pass Blocker in the league isn't really fair.

It says his run blocking isn't as good as his pass blocking. Considering he is the best pass blocker in the game, that doesn't mean much. It doesn't say he isn't an elite run blocker.

Instead of proving your point your trying to undermine mine by disputing the clear interpretation of the quote... They clearly meant he isn't an elite run blocker, here's another from the 2011 that used Advanced stats from both Advanced NFl Stats and Pro Football Focus...

"4. Joe Thomas, Cleveland
Browns

Thomas didn’t have much help, but Cleveland averaged only 3.1 YPC when
running behind him. Still, he allowed only 15 pressures in 1,087 snaps."

That was before Richardson was on board in Cleveland. I could find more but I really cannot be bothered. There is no doubt Thomas is the best LT in the league, but that's because it's a passing league, run blocking and pass blocking are two very different things that require some different skillsets, he is a competent run blocker, but Jake Long for example, who is in no way considered an elite LT anymore (or ever), is not someone you would want protecting your blindside in the pass game, but is a significantly better run blocker than Thomas.

Anyway, back to the original point... Richardson was injured for much of last year, was a rookie, didn't have a very feared passing game and play in a division with three great defenses. I think he will be a great RB.

Reasons for want I say

Rd 1- Luck need because no franchise QB.  BPA IMO is debatable

RD 2- Fleener need because no TE, plus Luck;s BFF from Stanford.  Not BPA as there was 3 other players at least rated better than him.

Rd 3- Allen was a need, but IMO BPA

Hilton was a need to improve ST and Slot Receiver position

Rd 5- Brazil was a need to improve ST and Slot

Chapman was a need to anchor new Defensive scheme. IMO BPA

Rd 6- Ballard BPA

Rd 7- Fugger need for new D scheme

I might have Brazil and Ballard switched but IMO this is why we drafted the way we did. 

What tells you that there were at least 3 other players rated better than Fleener taken at 34?    I'm curious to your thinking on this....

I'll withhold any other comments until I see your response....

Thanks....

Don't know a ton about the players available but I'd like to get a good pass rushing 3-4 OLB in the first if one is available with first round talent.  I'd rather have that then a CB.

Depends on what they do in free agency but there are a lot of directions to go in this draft.  We need a 3-4 OLB, 2 - Guards, CB2, WR-2, RT, SS in that order (IMO)  Plus we could use improvement at C, RB, and 3-4 DE.

Justice did a lot better then people give him credit for, he just got hurt a lot.  I'd actually be ok with having him for another year, not who I want long term but he was far from the big problem on our O-line.  

Its no secret Colts biggest weakness is OL and Secondary. I believe Colts will most certainly go CB in the 1st bc there are no shutdown CBs that are worth the kind of money, unlike OL which has many strong players in FA. and with warmack, fisher, and johnson off the board #24 will be a CB. 

Banks, Rhodes, Trufant

All have the skills to come in and play on the first line and make Vontae work harder.

Dang. Put beautifully

What tells you that there were at least 3 other players rated better than Fleener taken at 34?    I'm curious to your thinking on this....

I'll withhold any other comments until I see your response....

Thanks....

Not talking about TEs.  3 players(Upshaw, Glenn, and Hill had all dropped down to us in the second round.  Upshaw and Glenn would have upgraded us in areas where we needed that upgrade, but instead we took a one dimensional TE as we "needed him".

Its easy, man. Xavier Rhodes or Johnathon Cooper. Personally, and i know Cooper is projected  a rd1 pick but i think with the abundance of Tackles in the draft, teams will go for a tackle over a Guard , obviously excluding Warmack, Cooper will be avail if we somehow trade into the 2nd rd. Because if worse comes to worse you can almost always turn your Tackle into a Guard. But IMO Rhodes is the #1 pick in the draft for us. The way offenses have elvolved, the days of the 5'9 cornerback just doesnt fly anymore. And Xavier Rhodes is 6'2 and 217. Plus, and a BIG plus, is that the 3-4 uses alot of press coverage and Man, which Xavier Rhodes specializes in. can you imagine him teamed with Vontae? WOW. RhodeS is the most perfect fit and pick by a mile!!!

If only Rhodes falls far enough for us.  That's why I think we can get Cooper, at least at #24.  If we can trade down for more pix and still get him early second?  Love that even more.  But I'm just hoping Cooper falls to us as well, even at #24!  :)

Not talking about TEs.  3 players(Upshaw, Glenn, and Hill had all dropped down to us in the second round.  Upshaw and Glenn would have upgraded us in areas where we needed that upgrade, but instead we took a one dimensional TE as we "needed him".

Their is a reason Upshaw went from a top 15 pick to the second round

I've been looking at a lot of mock drafts and compiled some names that different people have been predicting the Colts might take with their first round pick.

Out of the below mentioned players, who do you feel the Colts have the best chance at picking up, and who do you want with the 24th pick?

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State                                               

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia

Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

Ezekiel AnsahDE, BYU -...... :thmup:

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina

I want Eddie Lacy, but the guy that's highlighted in Red w/ the emoticon next to his name, is who I think Grigson is gonna pick....(You really don't know how hard this is for me to accept, but i have to stop fantasizing, and accept the reality... :bored:

I want Eddie Lacy, but the guy that's highlighted in Red w/ the emoticon next to his name, is who I think Grigson is gonna pick....(You really don't know how hard this is for me to accept, but i have to stop fantasizing, and accept the reality... :bored:

We don't need another RB. And Ansah is too raw of a football player. We'll probably pick a CB based on what Grigs has said recently regarding the O-Line and DBs.

Bill Polian is that you?

Shariff Floyd at Dt/De if he is still around at 24.

I don't know about that anymore. Lately a ton of people have come out of the blue, even rating him above Star Lotulelei. I don't think he's better than Star, but I do think he's the 2nd best 3-4 DE in front of Sheldon Richardson.