Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should 7th round pick be used on a kicker?

I never have a problem using a 6 or 7 on a kicker or punter.

If the team feels like the prospect is that good and the need is there,  do it.

The percentage of draft picks taken in the 6th or 7th round who actually make their teams roster is incredibly low.

What the Colts did last season was more of an anomaly.   The exception to the rule.    Fans shouldn't expect this every year.

Vinny has a year left on his deal right? You can't carry two place kickers on the roster. Rarely can you even stash one on the practice squad because if they are good, they will get snatched up by someone else. Next year yes, not this year though.

We aren't suggesting that we keep 2 kickers. We would cut whoever loses the position battle.

Heck no, waste of a pick, you can get a good kicker that goes undrafted, why? because he is a kicker

Excellent point Gavin. Never throw away a meaningful draft pick on a kicker. Yes, they have value on a squad, but never burn money as a franchise on 1 lone players foot that doesn't grind it out at practice with every other athlete on your roster. 

Heck no, waste of a pick, you can get a good kicker that goes undrafted, why? because he is a kicker

I agree, I am sure I undervalue them more than I should, but unless a kicker is nailing 60 yd field goals with ease, or so accurate he coffin corners the opponent inside the 5 yd line on nearly every punt it would kill me to use a draft pick on a kicker.

I still believe if we bring McAfee back(and I'm sure we will) he can handle the kicking duties. He done it in college and he's very accurate. If any of you have ever been to TC, you have seen McAfee routinely drill kicks from 60-70 yds. away. I know McAfee has talked about it in the past about taking over for Vinny when he retires.

I still believe if we bring McAfee back(and I'm sure we will) he can handle the kicking duties. He done it in college and he's very accurate. If any of you have ever been to TC, you have seen McAfee routinely drill kicks from 60-70 yds. away. I know McAfee has talked about it in the past about taking over for Vinny when he retires.

He certainly has the accuracy and leg when nothing is on the line thats for sure but he was a 73.4 percent field goal kicker in college, thats far far from accurate and not close to what I'd like my kickers make percentage to be, If my kicker is not hitting somewhere above 80 percent then Ill pass(Vinny's is 82.6). Dan Bailey would be a much safer option in FA next year if the Cowboys let him go (however likely unless he implodes next year) he is a career 61 for 68 with a long being of 51 yards, he also has 30 touchbacks in 2 years

McAfee is a keeper!

Who cares, whoever the 7th round pick is won't make the 53 man roster

Michael McCrary, Marques Colston, Donald Driver, Shannon Sharpe, Brock Marion, Tom Nalen and Adam Timmerman would all disagree with you, do you really want to pass on the potential for one of those types of players for a kicker?

Michael McCrary, Marques Colston, Donald Driver, Shannon Sharpe, Brock Marion, Tom Nalen and Adam Timmerman would all disagree with you, do you really want to pass on the potential for one of those types of players for a kicker?

They are the exception to the rule. Most 7th rounders are lucky to make the teams even as a special teams player. If the the kicker from Florida or Florida state are available, they would be great picks. They were both accurate and had range and they played in pressure games.

They are the exception to the rule. Most 7th rounders are lucky to make the teams even as a special teams player. If the the kicker from Florida or Florida state are available, they would be great picks. They were both accurate and had range and they played in pressure games.

Hopkins was 78.6 percent for his career (88 for 112)

Caleb Sturgis was 79.5 percent for his career

Neither I would waste a 7th rounder on when I can just pick up Jeremy Shelley as an undrafted FA Kicker more then likely, from Alabama

Didn't literally mean all of 7th round picks won't make the roster. Just look at the ratio of 7th round picks. I can care less about who we draft in the 7th round. If anything just draft a hustle player I don't care what position that can at least make a play on special teams

Didn't literally mean all of 7th round picks won't make the roster. Just look at the ratio of 7th round picks. I can care less about who we draft in the 7th round. If anything just draft a hustle player I don't care what position that can at least make a play on special teams

Anyone but a dang kicker

I'm ok with a kicker in the 7th, it's not like you are likely to find a decent field player in the 7th anyways.  You are lucky to find someone who even makes the team that late in the draft.  

But I think we finish out AV's last contract year and then go after a kicker in the 7th in the next draft.  

McAffee should be re-signed as our punter and we can potentially use him as a long distance kicker if we are ever in need of a FG from 55+ yards away.

Looking at him drilling those distance kicks, I don't wonder why we don't let him take some of those shots in the game at that distance.  I know there is a bit of a risk at missing and giving the opponent good field position.  But it would be really cool to see him break the record for longest FG in a game.  And he might get a shot like that when it's close to halftime or the end of the game.  

No. One, we already have Vinny, so thats a waste when we cut him. Two, Pat Mac already wants to do all three kicking duties, so I'd be fine with picking up some dude undrafted to be there in case McAfee screws up badly after this season, when Vinny leaves.

McAfee will end up on IR and needing knee replacements if he does all three duties.

The difference between the NFL and College football is you have 53 players usually only 1 kicker, and 1 punter. Which means they take all of the reps during practice. College teams on the other hand can have up to 125 players on the roster meaning they could have 4 punters, and 5 kickers if they felt like it.

Vinny isn't getting any younger, and truthfully his knees are much older than he is. So if there is a good kicker in the 7th round I'm all for drafting him.

No. One, we already have Vinny, so thats a waste when we cut him. Two, Pat Mac already wants to do all three kicking duties, so I'd be fine with picking up some dude undrafted to be there in case McAfee screws up badly after this season, when Vinny leaves.

McAfee has a good leg behind him and I think we should give him some long distance FG shots.  But someone pointed out on here that his FG percentage in college really wasn't that good.

I'd rather get a full time kicker.