Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's possible the Colts could lose Stanton to.....

NewColtsFan

Stanton's never really gotten a fair, full shot at being a starter.  The guy had some promise coming into the league, I almost kinda hope we do lose him to Arizona and that he gets a legitimate shot to start there.

And frankly, if he does better than Kolb he more-or-less automatically becomes the best QB from the 2007 draft, but that says more about that draft class since it consisted of Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Stanton, Edwards, Stanback, Rowe, Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer, and Thigpen (with Moore as a UDFA).

Man does that class smell bad.

Stanton's never really gotten a fair, full shot at being a starter. The guy had some promise coming into the league, I almost kinda hope we do lose him to Arizona and that he gets a legitimate shot to start there.

And frankly, if he does better than Kolb he more-or-less automatically becomes the best QB from the 2007 draft, but that says more about that draft class since it consisted of Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Stanton, Edwards, Stanback, Rowe, Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer, and Thigpen (with Moore as a UDFA).

Wow, that has to be up there with the worst qb classes of all time

Stanton is a lifetime, NFL backup. While i agree that he's better than corn-on-the-kolb, he doesn't have any NFL film or highlights showcasing his potential to be a starter in this league. Watch what happens with Chandler Harnish. I like this guys skill set, and i think he's gonna end up in a situation similiar to Matt Flynn, except he's actually gonna start for some team.

Stanton is a lifetime, NFL backup. While i agree that he's better than corn-on-the-kolb, he doesn't have any NFL film or highlights showcasing his potential to be a starter in this league. Watch what happens with Chandler Harnish. I like this guys skill set, and i think he's gonna end up in a situation similiar to Matt Flynn, except he's actually gonna start for some team.

Flynn deserves to start for a team...

I'd be happy to see him actually have a shot at starting. With the way things are in Arizona, there is a good chance he'd be the starter by week 2 or 3. Kolb was a huge disappointment, and Skeleton wasn't much better, so anything Stanton does has to be an improvement. We have a good 2nd string QB who I feel could be very serviceable in Harnish if something bad went down with Luck to an injury or whatever the case might be.

Stanton's never really gotten a fair, full shot at being a starter.  The guy had some promise coming into the league, I almost kinda hope we do lose him to Arizona and that he gets a legitimate shot to start there.

It surely lacks - well - class. :)

I have no idea if Stanton can succeed or not, but Arizona needs to stop collecting backup quarterbacks and move forward before they waste the rest of Larry Fitzgerald's career. He probably has disturbing dreams about Kurt Warner as it is.

Actually considering how good the 49ers and Seahawks are, and that the Rams should trend upwards, they might be smarter to trade Fitzgerald and start from scratch. Any premium QB's expected in the 2014 draft?

Stanton is better than Kolb haha . Would we be able to trade hin for maybe a 6th or 7th or is he a FA come March?

Curtis Painter is better than Kolb...okay maybe not that one...

He's a free agent I think so we can't trade him if that is the case.  I always figured Stanton was a one year player for the Colts.  He got caught in a crummy situation with the Jets and ended up coming here because it was better situation than New York not so much because he wanted to be a Colt.

So stanton hasn't shown you anything, but you're convinced mr irreverent is going to be amazing?

Stanton's never really gotten a fair, full shot at being a starter. The guy had some promise coming into the league, I almost kinda hope we do lose him to Arizona and that he gets a legitimate shot to start there.

This year's class is 2007 2.0.

I am happy for both guys.  I think Stanton deserves a shot as a starting QB.  He didn't play great for the Lions, but NOBODY on that team did at that point.  So Arizona could be a good fit.  At the same time, I think Harnish can handle the backup job.  He has a good skillset and probably won't see the field much.

Remember, the Colts lost Harnisch when he was snatched off our PS.

I think we got him back when some other team cut him.

I think the Colts would love to have Stanton back,  but we simply may not be able to match the opportunity that Arizona can give him.    He'd likely still be there back-up, but perhaps with a greater chance of getting some snaps.

Hey, whatever works for him.   If he wants to chase the dream to Arizona, or someplace else,  more power to him.

But, personally, I hope he wants to stay and we want to keep him.

Remember, the Colts lost Harnisch when he was snatched off our PS.

I think we got him back when some other team cut him.

I think the Colts would love to have Stanton back,  but we simply may not be able to match the opportunity that Arizona can give him.    He'd likely still be there back-up, but perhaps with a greater chance of getting some snaps.

Hey, whatever works for him.   If he wants to chase the dream to Arizona, or someplace else,  more power to him.

But, personally, I hope he wants to stay and we want to keep him.

I don't remember Harnish getting picked off our PS. I know we waived him and after he passed through waivers we signed him to the PS. After the season we signed him to a future contract.

I don't remember Harnish getting picked off our PS. I know we waived him and after he passed through waivers we signed him to the PS. After the season we signed him to a future contract.

OK....  my aging faulty memory has been corrected.....

But I don't think having Harnisch as a back-up is good for the Colts at this point.   If Luck goes down (God forbid!) then I don't see Harnisch doing much for the franchise.

Hope we never have to find out,  but if we do,  I hope I'm wrong.....

OK....  my aging faulty memory has been corrected.....

But I don't think having Harnisch as a back-up is good for the Colts at this point.   If Luck goes down (God forbid!) then I don't see Harnisch doing much for the franchise.

Hope we never have to find out,  but if we do,  I hope I'm wrong.....

I hope we don't ever have to find out either, but from what I seen in preseason, he looked pretty good. 

I hope we don't ever have to find out either, but from what I seen in preseason, he looked pretty good. 

Remember, it was pre-season.   By the time Harnisch got in he was facing the back-ups to the back-ups...  the guys who were cut long before the season started.

He was facing the weakest competition playing vanilla defenses.    It's not that hard to look pretty good in those circumstances.

Hey,  just sayin....

..... Arizona.     A story on NFL.com saying Stanton might have a better shot at more playing time in Arizona than Indianapolis.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137697/article/drew-stanton-could-join-bruce-arians-with-cardinals

i doubt that, i think Az will make a play for Alex Smith since they (niners) will more then likely release him come march. 

i doubt that, i think Az will make a play for Alex Smith since they (niners) will more then likely release him come march. 

I think the implication is Stanton would be brought their primarily to be the back-up, with an outside chance of starting,  but at least with a chance of getting more work and possible opportunity.

If Arizona pursues Smith, it would be with the intention of starting him.   

Hope that clarifies....

:scratch: .... :???: "Going to be amazing"...you..said it, not me. You think Matt Flynn is amazing?... :nutz: ....Look at Harnish in last years' preseason games, and see what the rest of are looking at.

He was playing against guys who never made it into the league. Matt Flynn has done it against starters in regular season games.

He was playing against guys who never made it into the league. Matt Flynn has done it against starters in regular season games.

I guess people seem to forget about that record-breaking day with the Packers that he had. But somehow Mr. Irrelevant is better than him... 

This year's class is 2007 2.0.

To be fair I don't see any Russell-alike in this class, there's no QB getting that overhyped and most agree it's a weak year. Unless you mean with Jamarcus saying he wants to play again this year then it really is 2007 déja vu. 

I almost hope some team does pick him up, would be interesting to see if the 3 years off has done him any good :P

Ironically, Stanton would have been better off staying with the Jets, where he might actually have gotten some playing time last season. As it stands, he could do worse than Arizona, given that he knows Arians' playbook and that Tom Moore is there. But I don't think he's better than Kevin Kolb, and I don't think he has the ability to be a full time starter. Either way, I wish him the best.

I guess people seem to forget about that record-breaking day with the Packers that he had. But somehow Mr. Irrelevant is better than him... 

Someone took a wrong turn in this conversation. Who said Chandler Harnish IS better than Matt Flynn :thinking: ? I believe he will be better, just not right now. Harnish is trying to earn a spot on this team, behind A.Luck. Obviously he's doesn't have Flynn's stats, but he's not a the bench with a better-than-average contract, waiting to play behind a rookie, either. Let's bring this issue back when Flynn becomes the starter and gets Seattle to the post season. Flynn vs Harnish, let's keep watching.... :goodluck:

Someone took a wrong turn in this conversation. Who said Chandler Harnish IS better than Matt Flynn :thinking: ? I believe he will be better, just not right now. Harnish is trying to earn a spot on this team, behind A.Luck. Obviously he's doesn't have Flynn's stats, but he's not a the bench with a better-than-average contract, waiting to play behind a rookie, either. Let's bring this issue back when Flynn becomes the starter and gets Seattle to the post season. Flynn vs Harnish, let's keep watching.... :goodluck:

* 12 and Wilson both go down in the '13 season, enter Flynn and Harnish *

Me: * Remembers this conversation* haha