Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldewll States Disappointing In Brown 1St Rnd Status Buys Time He Says

bayone

By Paul Kuharsky

It's rare to get an in-house, honest and public assessment of an Indianapolis Colts' player when the outlook isn't great.

article is really about brown, Hughes thow is mentioned by author

Brown

The Indianapolis press kind of got one from Jim Caldwell Wednesday when he was asked about Donald Brown. The third-year running back was a first-round pick but is third on the depth chart behind Joseph Addai and rookie Delone Carter.

“Donald’s been working hard. It’s just a matter, and it’s no secret because Donald and I have had conversations and we talk, it’s a production issue,” Caldwell said. “I still think that he’s capable. Donald’s got speed, toughness, and all the things that you are looking for. He’s just got to be a little bit more productive. Now, his opportunity to be productive is, obviously, something that will come. It always does during the course of the season, but he’s just got to be ready for it.

“Right now, he’s playing a lot of special teams for us. Nevertheless, I still think he has the ability, and I still think that before the year is out you’re going to see Donald Brown make a difference for us.”

The Colts surely debated the fate of Brown and even 2010’s first round pick, defensive end Jerry Hughes. Both have come up far short of expectations so far.

His draft status helps buy him time, but his clock is ticking. When Addai misses time or Carter misses time, Brown will get some. He’s due to make a better impression.

My link

And so many people laughed at the idea of "bundling" Hughes in a trade deal for a QB. I made the suggestion early in camp. So many people said it was ridiculous to give up on a 1st round pick so quickly. Well, if he's not even going to be active for games here why do we need to waste a roster spot on him?? If Collins goes down, and we are back to Painter, I still say we use Hughes as trade material. The problem is that now he is worth even less than he was a month ago.

And so many people laughed at the idea of "bundling" Hughes in a trade deal for a QB. I made the suggestion early in camp. So many people said it was ridiculous to give up on a 1st round pick so quickly. Well, if he's not even going to be active for games here why do we need to waste a roster spot on him?? If Collins goes down, and we are back to Painter, I still say we use Hughes as trade material. The problem is that now he is worth even less than he was a month ago.

I suggest you read the article, Caldwell never says anything about Hughes, K is speculating.

Also why do the Colts need 4 QBs. If Collins go down the Colts are using Painter. In your scenario, if Freeney and or Mathis goes down then the Colts are using Anderson or Brayton as an every down DE. That would not be good or productive.

The article doesn't say anything about Caldwell being disappointed in Hughes. The whole thing is about Brown and the writer speculates about Hughes.

Yes u r correct & edited title, at least I did put in before & left it article is really about brown, Hughes thow is mentioned by author

I don't get this Hughes kid. How can a player be picked as a first round NFL talent and so quickly wash out as not even living up to undrafted FA talent? How did this happen?

1st of all, Hughes does OK, he plays behind two pro-bowlers. He was insurance for them and they haven't been hurt. 2nd, players wash out all the time. There are crappy players in the first round and gems in the sixth!

It's still too early to give up on Hughes. He has only been on the team for 1 season, has some pretty good mentors in Teerlink, Freeney and Mathis, clearly has the physical tools and potential (as we saw in college). Let's not forget this guy was the winner of the Ted Hendricks award as the nation's top DE. You want to judge Brown, that's fine. Brown is in his 3rd season and has gotten way more playing time. Give Hughes more time.

As for Brown, this is his make or break year.

I suggest you read the article, Caldwell never says anything about Hughes, K is speculating.

Also why do the Colts need 4 QBs. If Collins go down the Colts are using Painter. In your scenario, if Freeney and or Mathis goes down then the Colts are using Anderson or Brayton as an every down DE. That would not be good or productive.

In fairness Tuba posted his trade idea before we got Collins. With that said I think this worked out better we got a QB and we didn't have to give up anything to get him. Had we traded Hughes for a QB we would have probably gotten a guy who had to learn the system and had many of the same issues Collins had. Once Collins gets the offense down and if we get our blocking issues figured out Collins is going to be fine and probably as good as any QB the Colts would have picked up in a trade.

As for Hughes I think it's too early to give up on him but it's clearly not looking good right now.

Hughes has had barely any playing time and when in, he does get some pressure at times. He's got plenty of speed, he needs to get his confidence up, try different moves , just take it 1 play at a time.

And needs to stop listening to us.

Um...he has barely had any playing time because he hasn't been deemed productive enough to be on the active roster. That was the case all of last year, and even after playing all 4 preseason games this year, he still wasn't active for our game last week. I understand the "politics" of the business and being a 1st rounder, but c'mon...either he is good enough to be active for at least special teams, or let's fill his spot with someone who is.

Um...he has barely had any playing time because he hasn't been deemed productive enough to be on the active roster. That was the case all of last year, and even after playing all 4 preseason games this year, he still wasn't active for our game last week. I understand the "politics" of the business and being a 1st rounder, but c'mon...either he is good enough to be active for at least special teams, or let's fill his spot with someone who is.

He did play Special Teams last year he's the one who didn't get down quick enough to cover the Jets return guy on the last kick off in the Jets game...

"sigh"

It's not looking good for him and based on what we have seen out of him at this point I doubt we would get anything of value back in return for a trade for him. I mean this is a league where a guy like Brandon Marshall only brings a team a second round pick.

Im gonna agree that if they don't want the guy on the field then they should just get rid of him and stop wasting a spot on him, but IMO the coaches have gotten a little enamored with other players that also are not very good. I've been saying it since he's been here but Eric Foster is an absolute waste of a roster spot, but the coaches(and a lot of the fans) have fell in love with him for some reason. Foster in his career has averaged less than 2.5 tackles per game and has 6(thats it) 6 sacks in now going into his 4th season. Yet everybody, including the coaches love the guy. No matter what anybody says, Hughes has not had much of an opportunity to show anything in his short time here.

That's nonsense. The Colts had few injuries last week so they had to have players that were healthy non actives so they activated players whom they felt would be better against the run.

I may be in the minority but to be fair he and Addai were running behind that terrible O line of ours

but on the other hand if he couldn't beat out Addai or even Carter then maybe the coaches don't see something. He showed brilliance at times like in the Cardinals game.

I still think Gonzo can produce, he had a good 07 and 08 season behind the other guys. Hopefully he returns to 100%

Obviously all 3 of them (Caldwell, Brown, Hughes) should be disappointed in their selves.. Caldwell probably wanted to call a timeout during the interview.. Brown got cursed out by the GREATEST QB (18) ever & haven't done nothing ever since then. && Hughes, its not much to say about him. Maybe since he can't play DE we can move him over too LS so Justin Snow can retire. :troll:

If you use the Colts coaching abilities as the benchmark, then yes, everything Belichek touches turns to gold. Colts HC sucks.OC sucks.DC sucks.ST sucks. GM and GM Junior suck olso.

So if you hate all the people who run our team so much and love the Pats so much why are you a Colts fan? I am not asking that as a jerk remark more so as a legit question?

But if Hughes is garbage, and not worth the roster spot, no one is going to trade us anything for him. We couldn't package anything with him except a job at a drive-thru.

I may be in the minority but to be fair he and Addai were running behind that terrible O line of ours

but on the other hand if he couldn't beat out Addai or even Carter then maybe the coaches don't see something. He showed brilliance at times like in the Cardinals game.

I still think Gonzo can produce, he had a good 07 and 08 season behind the other guys. Hopefully he returns to 100%

I still think we have the most, "i still think" he can produce players in the league. holy moly, we have gonzo, brown, hughes, pollack, sims, anderson. etc. U could even add manning and collie now (debateable)

just sayin, we have a team full of (possible) talent.....