Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Latest Hint on Colts' Free Agency.....

NewColtsFan

I had to google him to make sure he's a WR, wow he's huge. I wonder how reliable his hands are and how fast he is?

He's not real fast, his 40 time was 4.68 but he's a big target and would be good in a WCO IMO. Another red zone target. Imagine him and Fleener as red zone targets. That would be hard to defend for any team. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to google him to make sure he's a WR, wow he's huge. I wonder how reliable his hands are and how fast he is?

When injuries to Nicks and Hixon provided him with opportunity to start (week 3 against Carolina), he was a BEAST. I want him in speed blue!!!

[

We have to spend a lot in FA. It's impossible not to. We have to spend 90% of our cap money regardless if the player is good or not. If they are prude in their signing's expect deals to be heavy on the front end instead of the back.

You are right, SGH....My understanding is we cannot drop below the MINIMUM spending limits

I just dont want guys like Ed Reed and Anquan Boldin...who, while quality players, will be retired in 3 years..

the only place I'd consider an over-30 guy would be on the O-line where we have an investment to protect...

...I just want to draft....look for Candaian stars...undrafted free agents...

To meet the minimum requirements?... pay OUR players...was Cory Redding on a 1-year deal..? His value seesm to be more than just his play.

How about Jerell Freeman? Do we have to resign 3-year vet Pat Angerer..Those guys have a at least 1/2 dozen years ahead of them.

Let them see a little cash..we know what they can do for us because they've already done it.

When injuries to Nicks and Hixon provided him with opportunity to start (week 3 against Carolina), he was a BEAST. I want him in speed blue!!!

How random is this.....I saw him at training camp in his rookie year and he was the star of the show! Now how a Colts fan from the UK ended up watching a Giants training session in Albany is another story altogether.....but count me in if we go for him.

[

We have to spend a lot in FA. It's impossible not to. We have to spend 90% of our cap money regardless if the player is good or not. If they are prude in their signing's expect deals to be heavy on the front end instead of the back.

You are right, SGH....My understanding is we cannot drop below the MINIMUM spending limits

I just dont want guys like Ed Reed and Anquan Boldin...who, while quality players, will be retired in 3 years..

Oldie, please read some of the many posts that are clear about the 89% Rule. You and others keep posting wrong info.

the only place I'd consider an over-30 guy would be on the O-line where we have an investment to protect...

...I just want to draft....look for Candaian stars...undrafted free agents...

To meet the minimum requirements?... pay OUR players...was Cory Redding on a 1-year deal..? His value seesm to be more than just his play.

How about Jerell Freeman? Do we have to resign 3-year vet Pat Angerer..Those guys have a at least 1/2 dozen years ahead of them.

Let them see a little cash..we know what they can do for us because they've already done it.

We don't have a minimum we have to spend. The 89% rule is spread over a 4 yr. period. 

Redding, Angerer, and Freeman are signed for 2 more yrs.. So none of them need to be worried about right now.

Thanks, 'B' I didnt understand the minimum rule...

then we have no spending obligations for THIS year because of what we've spent the past 2 years

Isnt Angerer through 3 years of his rookie contract...was it a 5-yaer deal?

I guess we are fairly well set since half of our starters on offense are still on their rookie deals and Reggie, Adam V. and Donald Brown are signed through 2013 at least......Isnt Donnie Avery on a multiple year deal, too?

Gonna be a quiet spring.

Thanks, 'B' I didnt understand the minimum rule...

then we have no spending obligations for THIS year because of what we've spent the past 2 years

Isnt Angerer through 3 years of his rookie contract...was it a 5-yaer deal?

I guess we are fairly well set since half of our starters on offense are still on their rookie deals and Reggie, Adam V. and Donald Brown are signed through 2013 at least......Isnt Donnie Avery on a multiple year deal, too?

Gonna be a quiet spring.

Angerer I believe is on a 5 yr. deal with 2 remaining. Avery is a free agent. 

I don't think it's going to be a quiet spring at all. I believe we'll go hard after at least 2 O-lineman and a few spots on defense. Although we don't have to spend a minimum amount this offseason, it would definitely be in their best interest to spend at least 90% of the amount we have available. If they don't meet the 4 yr. 89% average, they would have to cut a check making up the difference to the players on the roster. Irsay has never been known as cheap, so I fully expect him to make a conscious effort to spend as much money as necessary to upgrade the positions were most weak at.

Hughes was a top prospect, was amongst the leaders in the nation in sacks, tackles for loss, was all over the national news.  He was a mid-first to second round draft prospect.  He went to the underclassman advisory group of the NFL in 2009 to consider leaving early, and even then was told that he was a mid-first or second round pick, but went back to TCU.  Bust is strong language, but he has absolutely not lived up to potential, not delivered on a pro level what he was able to on the college level.  He has two years left on his rookie deal, and will likely not have Freeney ahead of him for competition.  We'll all find out soon enough if he will get a second NFL contract.  I hope he plays for that contract, produces.  I'm not sure he will based on what I've seen so far. 

Draft prospect article, achievemnets from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4788849

Scout had him the 33rd best player: http://cfn.scout.com/2/856942.html

Walter Football had him going 12th overall: http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

With Freeney and Mathis taken snaps/sacks away from him, he is definitely not a bust... A solid player like most of our defensive line outside of freeney and mathis.  Don't know why we've shied away from grabbing a stud NT all these years.

I agree with Balzer and will426. Not every day does a TY Hilton step onto the field as a rookie and show flashes of brilliance. Brazill was higher rated than TY. This kid is an athlete, and can take a hit...and dish it out on special teams too! (And LOVES special teams)

In addition, Palmer was the 49ers best WR in the preseason last year. Google it....Griff Whalen had a Collie-Esque pre-season before injury. We still have Reggie, and if we want can re-sign Collie (unlikely) or Avery. We have a draft and FA where we will go BPA and hopefully use a common sense fiscal approach (NOTE: Big money NOT to be used for WR :))

The Colts are in a unique position.....Players WANT to come here....maybe we get some very good players at reasonable prices and go for the Lombardi???? :coltslogo::coltslogo::coltslogo::colts::colts::colts::coltsfb::coltsfb: !!!!

FWIW, Aaron Morehead used to have amazing camps and preseasons too, but was useless against starting D lineups come regular season. I'm not sold AT ALL on Whalen, Sambrano or Kelley until they show something in a real game. Promise is all fine and good, but it doesn't mean there isn't room for something better.

Angerer I believe is on a 5 yr. deal with 2 remaining. Avery is a free agent. 

I don't think it's going to be a quiet spring at all. I believe we'll go hard after at least 2 O-lineman and a few spots on defense. Although we don't have to spend a minimum amount this offseason, it would definitely be in their best interest to spend at least 90% of the amount we have available. If they don't meet the 4 yr. 89% average, they would have to cut a check making up the difference to the players on the roster. Irsay has never been known as cheap, so I fully expect him to make a conscious effort to spend as much money as necessary to upgrade the positions were most weak at.

Now, you're confusing me. Obviously, we're going to acquire players we feel we need. That goes without saying.

But why would it be in our best interest to spend to near the 90% line now..and lock us up when we might want/need to make a big signing or resigning in 2015 or 2016....we're still rebuilding, in my mind...we're not Denver or NE...where the clock is ticking

If we're dealing with 4-year averages...we dont have to do anything...right?....because of what we paid out in 2010 and 2011 to our dearly departed vets.....In the next 4 years....we have some guys like Angerer, Freeman, Costanzo, Davis...whose deals come due ..and beyond that...we have all our present rookies (the 'Lucky' boys) who have deals coming due...

Dont get caught up in the names I'm about to use here but ....spending as much as necessary to bulk up the soft O-line (read: Jake Long) may be different from spending on someone who'd help but we dont desperately NEED to stay in range of 4-year average minimum..(Read Anquan Boldin)

The former I'd consider..the latter I wouldnt/

..see what I'm I'm saying?

With Freeney and Mathis taken snaps/sacks away from him, he is definitely not a bust... A solid player like most of our defensive line outside of freeney and mathis.  Don't know why we've shied away from grabbing a stud NT all these years.

If Chapman is healed and ready to play,you have just that a stud at NT

Now, you're confusing me. Obviously, we're going to acquire players we feel we need. That goes without saying.

But why would it be in our best interest to spend to near the 90% line now..and lock us up when we might want/need to make a big signing or resigning in 2015 or 2016....we're still rebuilding, in my mind...we're not Denver or NE...where the clock is ticking

If we're dealing with 4-year averages...we dont have to do anything...right?....because of what we paid out in 2010 and 2011 to our dearly departed vets.....In the next 4 years....we have some guys like Angerer, Freeman, Costanzo, Davis...whose deals come due ..and beyond that...we have all our present rookies (the 'Lucky' boys) who have deals coming due...

Dont get caught up in the names I'm about to use here but ....spending as much as necessary to bulk up the soft O-line (read: Jake Long) may be different from spending on someone who'd help but we dont desperately NEED to stay in range of 4-year average minimum..(Read Anquan Boldin)

I don't believe any team that's interested in winning will set back tons of cash to spend for later. We don't have anybody coming up in the next few yrs. that is going to break the bank. Luck will probably be our next monster contract and that is still 4 yrs. away.

We have as of right now 46 million available cap space, that is a ton of cash and there is no way we are going to sit on that amount or even the majority of that amount and not spend it on area's of need. Almost every team will spend right at the 89% of their respective cap because if they don't, it will definitely bite them in the rear in a few yrs. if they don't.

There have been multiple reports too that the cap is going to significantly increase over the next few yrs.. So I'm not worried at all about extending some of our expiring contracts over the next few yrs.. Contracts can always be restructured and older players can be released. Like I said though, teams that are interested in winning are not going to sit on piles of cash they have available. It won't happen.

No to Long, please.  I don't see how tying the team up with a huge contracts at one position helps anything.  I think the better strategy is to look for less expensive VALUE options (anyone hear that drum I keep beating?), and spread improvement around everywhere.  There is no doubt the OLine is the biggest need.  There is no doubt there are things that need to be improved on D too.  If it is done "prudently", though, the FO can pursue a bunch of FAs and make strides at multiple starting positions, instead of trying to make a big leap in one position.

For instance, I think the team go after ALL of Schwartz and Foster at G, Cherilus (starter) and Britton (kick the tires, backup) at RT, and Barden at WR... heck, even splurge on Felton at FB... and still have plenty of money to look at value FA options on D too... improving the team in multiple areas before we even sniff the draft. 

He's not very fast has good hands and plays physical that's what stands out watch the giants game once he got a chance he showed his talent.

How do we only have 2 WR's? We have Reggie, Hilton, Brazill, Palmer, Sambrano, Whalen, And Kelley. Reggie, Hilton, Brazill, and Palmer all played last season and have experience. Even if we don't resign Avery, WR is no where near a big priorty.

Just because we have all those players at the position doesn't mean we have talent at that position. If your comfortable with that being our WR group good for u, but I would like more talent. Just my opinion. Not saying break the bank getting a WR but it definitely needs to be addressed.

Just because we have all those players at the position doesn't mean we have talent at that position. If your comfortable with that being our WR group good for u, but I would like more talent. Just my opinion. Not saying break the bank getting a WR but it definitely needs to be addressed.

our tighends are our security blankets..they both have talent and this upcoming season they will be used how they were supposed to be. WR is not a huge concern this year but after this upcoming season it must be

Agree. I honestly believe we could pull greg Jennings and sign him to an admirable deal. Remember, grigson HAS to spend up a certain amount of the salary cap money. Can't just save everything for another year or two. Pick up Jennings and a decent o linemen and draft good and the Colts will take that next step forward. Who knows, it may even turn into a giant leap.

You don't want to over spend but the Colts do have some cash to spend this year. I believe Grigs will be very wise with the money, but it won't surprise me either to see one splashy FA signing. Probably the signing will someone for the O line which we most desperately need.

Man this is so crazy, Its not often teams have the type of money we do this offseason to spend on FA and I keep seeing others stating that we are not in need of a WR or RB. I think we will all agree our biggest needs are OL,DL,OLB,DBs I understand that, but we also need to look at what we will be loosing in FA. I don't think we will resign Freeney, Powers and Avery which takes me back to WR something everyone keeps saying we don't need, well I strongly disagree I love Reggie but we can't ignore the fact the he is 34 years old. T.Y. Hilton looked very promising but he is 5'8 like 170 as a slot WR, guys of his size easly get injured year in year out. We dont have a #2 WR opposite Wayne to me this is a big issue.We have more then enough money to address our needs on both O and D lines, CB and OLB including WR. Think about it, the WR core is one injury from being the worst unit on the team, if wayne went down teams would focus on TY. I know we like to think of our TEs as WR but they are not. Stanford never got Luck a great WR in college and we saw just what he could do with on in Wayne. If we want to really help Luck out in year two sure O-line is first but we need a WR as well, we have the money to do it and take care of all other need. If you feel its a need or not it will be a greater need the longer we wait, thinking we could get by just one more season without a wide out but if we loose a starter at wideout we will be in big trouble.

As I understand it the 4 year periods are not random they are already set ... 2013-2016 & 2017-2020 ... so in 2016 they will take an average of what we spent the previous 4 yrs. and it must average out to 89% of the salary cap or we have to cut a check for the difference. I had was confused on it as well and Superman explained it to me, but still had to research it a little to grasp it fully.  Maybe Superman will jump in here he did a better job explaining.

But, basically what we spent last season and the previous season does not count, the next 4 years is what count.

I think we'll sign a few FAs who might/should make a big impact on this team next season.

Grigson/Pagano strike me as aggressive men who want to make noise sooner then later if possible. But, yes in a smart way.

We were supposed to suck last year too and made a suprising trade for Vontae Davis despite the "rebuilding project" that might take 2 to 3 to 4 years to make the postseason with if lucky.....so they all said. So they all thought. Bwahahahaha.