Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Latest Hint on Colts' Free Agency.....

NewColtsFan

Perhaps I'm reading too much into comments made by Grigson and Colts....

But, in today's latest version of 'fan mail'  the guy from the Colts' PR office gave this response to what we might do in Free Agency....

DAVID H. (from Sebring, FL) I hope we do not waste cap money on free agents.  The Jets, Philly, Bucs did and they are no better.  Don’t fall in the same trap that other teams do.  Most of the players have played their best games and it’s just downhill, and I can’t see throwing good money away on over-priced has beens.  Free agents never work.

A:  History is littered with decisions both good and bad by teams across the league, including us.  We do have more room to operate than last year, but look for the club to be prudent.

I know, I know, he's just the PR guy, he's got to say SOMETHING....    But he wasn't obligated to say prudent...  and he did.    So, I think that's the view from inside the Colts headquarters....   That's the official word for public consumption.

Of course, this doesn't mean the Colts are now obligated to stick to that comment....  Anyone can call a 5-year, $50 Million dollar deal prudent if he says I thought the player was a bargain at this price and worth every penny.

I just think when all the signs are pointing in the same direction, (prudence)  it'd be wise to anticipate that,  but leave room to not be too surprised if things change.

Just my view of things 3 days after the SB.....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay tweeted this earlier:

Someday our city will dance wildly again in The Monster Parade...building a sustaining greatness is the goal..no short cuts or quick fixes!

Another nod at not spending too much on big name FAs, perhaps?

It took Mike Tyson years to spend that kind of money and he was buying Siberian tigers.  I don't think there are enough available really good offensive linemen to do what we need to do in one year.  Even with the money, I think it still takes a few years to get the line just right.

I think you may be reading too much into this guy's answers. I have read many of his Q & A's and he always seems to just give a company line response. Actually, I question just how much he knows about what the front office is planning on doing at all. I don't really think this guy is in the loop to be honest.

Irsay tweeted this earlier:

Someday our city will dance wildly again in The Monster Parade...building a sustaining greatness is the goal..no short cuts or quick fixes!

Another nod at not spending too much on big name FAs, perhaps?

I think what he is saying is that he's not going to go out and sign people in the twilight of their careers **cough**cough**Ed Reed**cough**cough** but look for people coming off their rookie contracts and second level guys to fill in the holes that we need filled, I could possibly see 1 big name fa with the rest 2nd tier guys.  Yet I wouldn't be surprised to see all second level guys but very productive as well.

Hopefully it means what we all hope it means, in that we are going to use the money we have to fill holes and not overspend on a player at a position we dont really need ala Ed Reed or Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace. These are positions that are set and we have others holes (Pass rusher, O-line, corner) to waste the money on positions we dont need

Prudent? The guy didn`t really say/commit to anything.

What we do have is an Owner who said last year after firing polian he wanted to build a Team that was a Contender over the Long Haul, NOT a Team that flops from 7-9 to 10-6.

This latest tweet confirms his goal.

IMO they made some questionable decisions with a couple FA signings. But they were in a pinch.

Now it is all Free and Clear from the past, they should have a good idea who fits the program, and now they wisely add pieces as opportunity arises.

It does sound PRUDENT to Maintain a Position to be able to sign UFA`s including our own, for several years to come.

And, You Build thru the draft. And we now EXPECT to be drafting back where there are more BUSTS like cough cough Hughes, and the others Brown, Gonzo, Ugoh.

Prudent? The guy didn`t really say/commit to anything.

What we do have is an Owner who said last year after firing polian he wanted to build a Team that was a Contender over the Long Haul, NOT a Team that flops from 7-9 to 10-6.

This latest tweet confirms his goal.

IMO they made some questionable decisions with a couple FA signings. But they were in a pinch.

Now it is all Free and Clear from the past, they should have a good idea who fits the program, and now they wisely add pieces as opportunity arises.

It does sound PRUDENT to Maintain a Position to be able to sign UFA`s including our own, for several years to come.

And, You Build thru the draft. And we now EXPECT to be drafting back where there are more BUSTS like cough cough Hughes, and the others Brown, Gonzo, Ugoh.

Hughes is NOT a Bust. He can't help that Polian took him in the 1st. Why? Idk but he did. I expected Hughes to go in the 4th or 5th as I am a TCU Fan. So when he got Drafted in the 1st by MY FAVORITE NFL Team, I couldn't believe it. But he's not a bust. He actually came into his own this year that he got his chance. Being behind the best DE Duo in the NFL, you don't get many chances. Not saying he should be a Starter next year, but he should still be on this Team

Grigson himself is on record about this, I think it was last week. He basically said the same thing, they won't break the bank unless "everybody" is on board that we have to have that particular guy.

It could be negotiation speak, but I like his attitude. I'd love to get a guy like Kruger, and I know that means overpaying. But it's not the same as the money Long will get. Which, IMHO, would be a waste of money.

Hmmm...I'm not surprised, I haven't expected big shopping. Grigs won't behave like a teenage girl at a Mall.

like a teenage girl in  a shopping mall...thats funny. thats what Rex Ryan has been doing the last couple of years and every offseason New York gets excited and signs the highest priced F/A's out there and  goes all out bragging about super bowl predictions and three years later they are the laughing stock of the NFL and theres mutiny in the locker room and Rex Ryan....... once again...... looks sooooooo stoooooopid!!!!!!  oh i love it!!!!

Hughes is NOT a Bust. He can't help that Polian took him in the 1st. Why? Idk but he did. I expected Hughes to go in the 4th or 5th as I am a TCU Fan. So when he got Drafted in the 1st by MY FAVORITE NFL Team, I couldn't believe it. But he's not a bust. He actually came into his own this year that he got his chance. Being behind the best DE Duo in the NFL, you don't get many chances. Not saying he should be a Starter next year, but he should still be on this Team

I disagree homey. your a Colts fan so you watched both Freeney and Mathis play injured last year. they couldnt rest because without them, there was simply no pass rush. look, i liked Hughes too and i thought last year was going to be his coming out party, i thought the same about Donald Brown, but facts are facts, when hughes was in, he got close alot but never really provided the pressure to force the QB to throw sooner or even require double teams. seriously, hughes and fukou both couldnt generate any pressure whatsoever. so, Freeney played on one leg for like....six games. so NO, Hughes IS a BUST.

I think I'm in danger of running out of 'likes' today....

Lots of good, insightful, and yet funny posts.....     (not gonna do it,  wouldn't be prudent)  is one of my favorites!      :thmup:

I make these type of posts (about the team being cautious in FA) just to offer whatever can be gleaned from the pretty consistent comments that Grigson and others are making about FA.    There are still many who want the expensive FA's...   Bowe, Wallace, Long,  etc.

Maybe I'll be surprised (shocked)  and we'll sign one of them -- I just don't believe it.   

I'm trying to damp down expectations that can easily get carried away in the off-season.    If I'm wrong, I'm wrong....   sure wouldn't be the first time.    But my experience with this stuff is pointing me in the direction of the team being cautious and careful in FA.     And I think that's the right way for the Colts to Build the Monster....

Hughes was a top prospect, was amongst the leaders in the nation in sacks, tackles for loss, was all over the national news.  He was a mid-first to second round draft prospect.  He went to the underclassman advisory group of the NFL in 2009 to consider leaving early, and even then was told that he was a mid-first or second round pick, but went back to TCU.  Bust is strong language, but he has absolutely not lived up to potential, not delivered on a pro level what he was able to on the college level.  He has two years left on his rookie deal, and will likely not have Freeney ahead of him for competition.  We'll all find out soon enough if he will get a second NFL contract.  I hope he plays for that contract, produces.  I'm not sure he will based on what I've seen so far. 

Draft prospect article, achievemnets from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4788849

Scout had him the 33rd best player: http://cfn.scout.com/2/856942.html

Walter Football had him going 12th overall: http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

Perhaps I'm reading too much into comments made by Grigson and Colts....

But, in today's latest version of 'fan mail'  the guy from the Colts' PR office gave this response to what we might do in Free Agency....

DAVID H. (from Sebring, FL) I hope we do not waste cap money on free agents.  The Jets, Philly, Bucs did and they are no better.  Don’t fall in the same trap that other teams do.  Most of the players have played their best games and it’s just downhill, and I can’t see throwing good money away on over-priced has beens.  Free agents never work.

A:  History is littered with decisions both good and bad by teams across the league, including us.  We do have more room to operate than last year, but look for the club to be prudent.

I know, I know, he's just the PR guy, he's got to say SOMETHING....    But he wasn't obligated to say prudent...  and he did.    So, I think that's the view from inside the Colts headquarters....   That's the official word for public consumption.

Of course, this doesn't mean the Colts are now obligated to stick to that comment....  Anyone can call a 5-year, $50 Million dollar deal prudent if he says I thought the player was a bargain at this price and worth every penny.

I just think when all the signs are pointing in the same direction, (prudence)  it'd be wise to anticipate that,  but leave room to not be too surprised if things change.

Just my view of things 3 days after the SB.....

I read nothing into "prudent" that Grigs hasn't already said several times publicly. IMHO, there is no news here.

We have to spend a lot in FA. It's impossible not to. We have to spend 90% of our cap money regardless if the player is good or not. If they are prude in their signing's expect deals to be heavy on the front end instead of the back.

Good point. We're one of few teams that could be front-loading deals to hit the CBA floor, but importantly shifting some of the 46M space to future years.

Hmmm...I'm not surprised, I haven't expected big shopping. Grigs won't behave like a teenage girl at a Mall.

This type of behaviour is not exclusive to teenagers....as BHC glances sideways at his sleeping wife.....

I don't think we'll sign a BIG name, but i have a feeling we'll sing a LONG one....

Good point. We're one of few teams that could be front-loading deals to hit the CBA floor, but importantly shifting some of the 46M space to future years.

I agree, but the problem with front loaded deals is when those players assume they can argue to renegotiate, or stage a holdout, after they get that front end payment.  Conversely, while back-end-loaded contracts can create cap trouble, they also encourage players to keep playing hard so they can possibly earn that next year's paycheck.

We have to spend a lot in FA. It's impossible not to. We have to spend 90% of our cap money regardless if the player is good or not. If they are prude in their signing's expect deals to be heavy on the front end instead of the back.

We don't have to. We can restructure our current players' contracts.

See my post here: http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/15258-how-much-do-we-really-have-in-cap-space-for-fas/#entry405710

I think you may be reading too much into this guy's answers. I have read many of his Q & A's and he always seems to just give a company line response. Actually, I question just how much he knows about what the front office is planning on doing at all. I don't really think this guy is in the loop to be honest.

Cookie cutter answers for the most part, I've read a few Q and A's in the past as well

I agree, but the problem with front loaded deals is when those players assume they can argue to renegotiate, or stage a holdout, after they get that front end payment.  Conversely, while back-end-loaded contracts can create cap trouble, they also encourage players to keep playing hard so they can possibly earn that next year's paycheck.

We don't have to. We can restructure our current players' contracts.

See my post here: http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/15258-how-much-do-we-really-have-in-cap-space-for-fas/#entry405710

So you want to give out current players more money and not sign anyone that could possibly help?

We don't have to hit a minimum salary threshold in 2013. We have to hit a minimum salary threshold for 2013-2016 combined.

We don't have to hit a minimum salary threshold in 2013. We have to hit a minimum salary threshold for 2013-2016 combined.

As mentioned in another thread, if we are too far below that number, it will be VERY hard to reach 89% through the period. We would have to leave ourselves with minimum cap space for the final year.