Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Reversing Brain Damage" Among NFL Players is Possible With a Targeted Brain-Healthy Protocol;

bayone

headed by neuroscientist and brain-imaging expert Daniel G. Amen, M.D

findings, released today,

have significant impact on the football community, as well as anyone with brain damage due to concussions, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), toxicity from alcohol and drug use, and other brain traumas, according to Dr. Amen, founder of Amen Clinics, Inc.

"It's one of the most exciting discoveries in medicine today," said Dr. Amen who has published 55 scientifically peer-reviewed studies and three specifically on his work with 135 active and retired NFL players. "I hope this message finds anyone who played contact sports like football, hockey, soccer, boxing so they can find help because their degenerative conditions can be reversed."

The study, titled "Reversing Brain Damage in Former NFL Players" and published in the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, used brain SPECT images (single photon emission computed tomography) and a standard neuropsychological test to

measure the blood flow in the areas of the brain, cognitive functions and proficiency related to mood, memory, language, attention and information speed and accuracy.

The athletes followed a "brain-healthy protocol" designed by Dr. Amen that included a revised diet, regular exercise, limited alcohol use, eliminating drug use and cigarette use, getting enough sleep, as well as nutritional supplements, including high dosage of fish oil, a high-potency multi-vitamin, and a group of brain boosting ingredients, such as gingko, vinpocetine, phosphatidylserine, among others.

Within an average of six months, the players were measured again. The results showed significant increases in cognitive scores, blood flow, and the self-reported symptoms of mood, memory, and motivation. Many athletes had greater than 50% increases in percentile scores.

"We demonstrated that even if you have been bad to your brain, on the right program you can often reverse the damage and improve your life," said Dr. Amen who is also a physician, Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, New York Times best-selling author

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=18063&Section=Vitamins&utm_source=DailyHealthBulletin&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Vitamins&utm_content=Body+ContinueReading&utm_campaign=DHB_130206

That is incredible. This is definitely a great move forward.

As always, you got the great info! :thmup:

That vinpocetine ii is one of the many nutraceuticals I take  as my Drs like to call them,  that  1  I take for vertigo, many years back was discovered that workout studio's class leaders would get vertigo after a b vigorous workout class that was relieved by taking this tiny 1/4 x 1/8 inch if that big  powederd capsule 3x daily, My dr does prescribe all ones noted by said article if needed for years

I do take a touch of Gingko as its in a synergistic combo capsule I like on my own, Fish Oil is prescribed by many a dr these days, been taking quite a high dose for years

My brother the Radilogist thinks I am nuts, but save for whatever I currently caught in ER from mom , i have great blood results and do much better than I should, actually still have great blood results , so hard to deternmine what ii got but getting better slowly , only abnormal one is an adjustment to my thyroid dosage as over time i get tolerant to it

I have 3 shelves filled with various   nutraceuticals some prescribed, some researched on my own, all discussed though with my internist who is a head of internal medicine at a local hospital, is also a diplomat in anti aging , lectures nationally on such , knows enough about hearts and its supplementation he is invited  by Cardiologists to talk to them , etc

My Multivitamin is a packet of 9 capsules , both powdered and liquid, incredible variety of ingredients at optimal potencies that  beats the one of my medical conferance sponsoiring's vendoors specialized pharmacy , called a compunding pharmacy ( that is they make products to a Drs specific instreuctions , these are not regulkar medicines , or are special combinations of regular medicines etc)  i saw at a conferance today that they felt was tops available and have to go back tonight so am bringing a lable,, they think theirs is brest in world and mine destroys it & they dont belive me  , both same cost $ 65 per month, Yes its expensive but I need it, & the company i use, who I found out and now my interenist recommends it has 3 levels higher  if want to go even crazier  (  & 1 or 2 lower ) and just as pure as theirs 

When u should be a quadraplegic u do research & take what u feel will help