Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Double A Breakdown -- Week 2

Andy

Week 2 -- Colts vs Browns

What the Colts Need To Do To Win

On offense, it's all about the O-line. If the O-line performs well, it gives Kerry Collins more time to throw and the running backs better holes to run into. The more important thing is Kerry Collins; he needs to have time to throw, because if he does he makes his passes, that's for sure. The running game is a bonus.

On defense, we generally have to be good, but more in the running game. Peyton Hillis is a beast, and a bull mixed into one. The passing game will probably be bad, but they won't go pass heavy, if anything they will go run heavy. It's also going to be tough without Gary Brackett, but we survived against the Redskins last year, so this shouldn't be too much different. If we stop Peyton Hillis, we pretty much stop their offense.

On special teams, we have to contain Josh Cribbs, we can't let him get to the outside of our contain players. Overall, it's a good matchup for the Colts.

What The Browns Need to Do To Win

Peyton Hillis needs to have a monster game, at least 130 yards. He needs to run over this small Colts defense. Don't worry about Dwight Freeney because he'll be stopped by Joe Thomas, but the person to watch is Robert Mathis, if anything. Double team him. Run the ball more than pass, but the way to beat the Colts pass defense is to throw 6 yard passes and let your receivers do the rest. Do not try to throw the long ball.

On defense, they need to constantly keep putting pressure on the O-line and Kerry Collins. If you do, Kerry Collins will blow up and do nothing on the offense. Cover the intermediate passes, because that's what Kerry excels at doing, making those quick medium passes. It wouldn't help to also stop the run, but it's not a huge deal.

Don't worry about special teams.

Breakout Performers/ Key Matchup

For the Colts, it has to the O-line (I know it's not one person), if they do well Collins gets time to throw and we will probably win the game, if they do badly... GAME OVER.

For the Browns, it's Joe Haden. If he could shut down Reggie Wayne and even get a pick it would take the life out of the Colts and take out their best receiver in the process. Peyton Hillis is also important.

The key matchup is Colts O-line vs Browns D-line. It's very simple, winner of that battle wins the game.

What I Think Will Happen

I think the Colts have a bad game in general on offense, but pull it together on defense. If we flashback to the last meeting between these two, Peyton Manning threw 2 interceptions to 0 touchdowns and the Colts still won. Kerry Collins will throw 1 interception and 1 touchdown, and Joseph Addai will also have 1 touchdown. The Colts O-line will get beat for the first 1 quarter and a half, then they come together before the end of the half. The Browns will start off strong, and will run the ball a lot, with McCoy only throwing 9 times at half time. The half time score is 13 - 7 for the Browns. The Colts play great on defense in the 2nd half, shutting down Peyton Hillis and containing McCoy, and not letting have a great game. The Colts are still losing by the end of the third, by either 13-10 or 16-14. They Colts score in the middle of the 4th and hold on for the close and much needed win. Peyton Hillis runs for 111 and gets 1 TD. McCoy gets 176 yards with 0 TDs and 0 INTs.

Prediction

Colts 17 vs Browns 16

Last Time They Played

2008 NFL Season -- Week 13

Colts 10 vs Texans 6

On offense, it's all about the O-line. If the O-line performs well, it gives Kerry Collins more time to throw and the running backs better holes to run into. The more important thing is Kerry Collins; he needs to have time to throw, because if he does he makes his passes, that's for sure. The running game is a bonus.

On defense, we generally have to be good, but more in the running game. Peyton Hillis is a beast, and a bull mixed into one. The passing game will probably be bad, but they won't go pass heavy, if anything they will go run heavy. It's also going to be tough without Gary Brackett, but we survived against the Redskins last year, so this shouldn't be too much different. If we stop Peyton Hillis, we pretty much stop their offense.

On special teams, we have to contain Josh Cribbs, we can't let him get to the outside of our contain players. Overall, it's a good matchup for the Colts.

Peyton Hillis needs to have a monster game, at least 130 yards. He needs to run over this small Colts defense. Don't worry about Dwight Freeney because he'll be stopped by Joe Thomas, but the person to watch is Robert Mathis, if anything. Double team him. Run the ball more than pass, but the way to beat the Colts pass defense is to throw 6 yard passes and let your receivers do the rest. Do not try to throw the long ball.

On defense, they need to constantly keep putting pressure on the O-line and Kerry Collins. If you do, Kerry Collins will blow up and do nothing on the offense. Cover the intermediate passes, because that's what Kerry excels at doing, making those quick medium passes. It wouldn't help to also stop the run, but it's not a huge deal.

For the Colts, it has to the O-line (I know it's not one person), if they do well Collins gets time to throw and we will probably win the game, if they do badly... GAME OVER.

For the Browns, it's Joe Haden. If he could shut down Reggie Wayne and even get a pick it would take the life out of the Colts and take out their best receiver in the process. Peyton Hillis is also important.

The key matchup is Colts O-line vs Browns D-line. It's very simple, winner of that battle wins the game.

What I Think Will Happen

I think the Colts have a bad game in general on offense, but pull it together on defense. If we flashback to the last meeting between these two, Peyton Manning threw 2 interceptions to 0 touchdowns and the Colts still won. Kerry Collins will throw 1 interception and 1 touchdown, and Joseph Addai will also have 1 touchdown. The Colts O-line will get beat for the first 1 quarter and a half, then they come together before the end of the half. The Browns will start off strong, and will run the ball a lot, with McCoy only throwing 9 times at half time. The half time score is 13 - 7 for the Browns. The Colts play great on defense in the 2nd half, shutting down Peyton Hillis and containing McCoy, and not letting have a great game. The Colts are still losing by the end of the third, by either 13-10 or 16-14. They Colts score in the middle of the 4th and hold on for the close and much needed win. Peyton Hillis runs for 111 and gets 1 TD. McCoy gets 176 yards with 0 TDs and 0 INTs.

Prediction

Colts 17 vs Browns 16

Last Time They Played

Colts 10 vs Texans 6

hillis will get a lot of yards against out tiny linebackers

hillis will get a lot of yards against out tiny linebackers

Jim, you do realize that the only "tony tiny" lb we have left from the Dungy days is Gary Brackett right? And he's not even going to be playing. Every other LB on the roster was brought in after Dungy left. And the lb's we have now aren't nearly as small as the ones we had in Dungy's days. Moten, Angerer and Sims are both 235+ and Conner/Wheeler are both over 240. There's also Nate Tripplett who we just picked back up and he's close to 250. He played MLB quite a bit in the last couple of preseason games. Honestly I'd like to see Conner, Angerer and Tripplett getting the start with Angerer staying at SLB. I know Wheeler has more experience and yes he should be rotated in often, but I think the Conner/Angerer/Tripplett is the best combo we could put against the Browns power running game.

Jim, you do realize that the only "tony tiny" lb we have left from the Dungy days is Gary Brackett right? And he's not even going to be playing. Every other LB on the roster was brought in after Dungy left. And the lb's we have now aren't nearly as small as the ones we had in Dungy's days. Moten, Angerer and Sims are both 235+ and Conner/Wheeler are both over 240. There's also Nate Tripplett who we just picked back up and he's close to 250. He played MLB quite a bit in the last couple of preseason games. Honestly I'd like to see Conner, Angerer and Tripplett getting the start with Angerer staying at SLB. I know Wheeler has more experience and yes he should be rotated in often, but I think the Conner/Angerer/Tripplett is the best combo we could put against the Browns power running game.

+1

What I Think Will Happen

Prediction

Colts 17 vs Browns 16

Last Time They Played

Colts 10 vs Texans 6

You have an excellent imagination Ray Romano!! Does Robert help you with these breakdowns??

Just messin with Ya bro!!

Well said. It's the same with our d-line. We have added a lot of bigger bodies this year. More importantly, they are big bodies who can play. We just need them to gel. It was a short off-season, and a big wrench was thrown in with Manning's situation, but I KNOW this defense will be improved. People need to stop with the "we're too small" talk, because it just isn't true anymore.

Well said. It's the same with our d-line. We have added a lot of bigger bodies this year. More importantly, they are big bodies who can play. We just need them to gel. It was a short off-season, and a big wrench was thrown in with Manning's situation, but I KNOW this defense will be improved. People need to stop with the "we're too small" talk, because it just isn't true anymore.

Agreed...we are definitely getting bigger and stronger but we definitely need to keep going :)

Hillis will get his yards, up over a hundred, probably 55 yards after contact. Our offense will look better than the first half of last week. Dallas Clark should have a good game as I don;t see a need for him to stay in and block.

Colts win in a tight game.

17-14

I kinda like the combo of Conner, Tripplet, and Angerer against a run heavy team, but do they really expect Tripplet to run a Tampa 2 defense, or try a base 4-3? I don't see Tripplet hanging out deep on the secondary.

In the plays I saw Triplett in during the preseason he mostly stayed within 5 yards of the LOS, so it was more of a standard cover 2 rather than tampa 2. Hopefully the tampa 2 gets reserved for long yardage, obvious passing downs and then Angerer can move to MLB or just go with a nickel D in those situations.

I wonder what Dungy would say if we put that LB combo on the field.

"No, No, NO! That can't be right! Those guys aren't linebackers, they're defensive tackles. This isn't the defense I built!"

lol

Angerer would be the smallest of the 3 at only 235 compared to 240 and 248 for Conner and Triplett respectively.

I think Dungy would tweak the D in these circumstances also.

Tweak the D...yes, but he wouldn't sign guys like we have on the roster now. I can't think of a single LB during Dungy's years besides Rob Morris (who was already here when Dungy arrived) that ever received significant playing time and was also over 235 lbs. **Update: ok my bad, Tyjuan Hagler is 236 lbs....though I wouldn't be surprised if he's put on 5-10 lbs since the Dungy days.

"We just need them to gel". Isn't that what camp and training camp is for? Houston switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 over the summer and they 'gelled'.

Not having a pop at you Doog, but if we didn't gel, then it's either we don't have the quality on the field, or it was very poor pre-season prep and coaching.

I appreciate the optimism, but what's the magic ingredient for this thing you call 'gel'.

"We just need them to gel". Isn't that what camp and training camp is for? Houston switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 over the summer and they 'gelled'.

Not having a pop at you Doog, but if we didn't gel, then it's either we don't have the quality on the field, or it was very poor pre-season prep and coaching.

I appreciate the optimism, but what's the magic ingredient for this thing you call 'gel'.

That magic ingredient is time/experience. Our defense underwent a large makeover this offseason...an offseason that was greatly shortened by the lockout. We still don't know that Houston's defense is the real deal....they simply looked like it in the first quarter against our brand new offensive line and QB.

Take a good close look at our starting defense:

LE: Robert Mathis - Up until this year he was an every down DE and only came out when he needed a breather. He is now being relegated to a smaller role as a situational pass rusher

LDT: Antonio Johnson - Missed his entire rookie season in '07 with a torn ACL and spent 9 weeks in '08 on the Titans' practice squad. We signed him to our active roster from the Titans practice squad and he started 4 out of 8 games played in '08, 15 out of 15 games played in '09 but only 2 out of 14 games played last year.

RDT: Fili Moala - only 2 years experience as this is the start of his 3rd year

RE: Dwight Freeney - see Mathis

WILL: Kavell Conner - This is the start of his second year

MIKE: Gary Brackett - Gary is the only true veteran out of the front 7 that is an every down player

SAM: Pat Angerer - This is the start of his second year

CB: Jerraud Powers and Jacob Lacey - both baptized by fire their rookie years due to injuries to Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson. Still, they are both only now entering their 3rd years in the league.

FS: Antoine Bethea - Entering his 6th year and imo the best veteran every down player we have

SS: Melvin Bullitt - Entering his 5th year and his first as the official, designated starter.

Now let's take a look at where each player was drafted:

Mathis: 5th round

Johnson: 5th round

Moala: 2nd round

Freeney: 1st round

Angerer: 2nd round

Conner: 7th round

Brackett: UDFA

Lacey: UDFA

Powers: 3rd round

Bethea: 6th round

Bullitt: UDFA

So that's 4 players that were drafted in the top 3 rounds. 7 defensive starters who were acquired where most teams are generally only looking to fill depth. So we've got a lot of youth, a lot of inexperience, 2 of our best players of years past are now playing in situational roles, and a what could be considered simply a lack of talent or at the very least unproven talent and the majority of what I personally would consider lack of talent are players left over from Dungy's days. The majority of players added since Caldwell came in have simply yet to have adequate time to prove themselves. Add to all that they had only a fraction of the normal offseason and honestly, how can you possibly expect them to come out firing on all cylinders....especially in a game where they had very little time to rest due to back to back turnovers.

That magic ingredient is time/experience. Our defense underwent a large makeover this offseason..

You really call adding a few guys for depth "a large makeover"? A large makeover would be gutting the defense and bringing in all new guys, or doing what Houston done and change scheme's. Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. We have essentially the same guys running the same scheme they have ran for yrs. and they still don't do it very well at all.

You really call adding a few guys for depth "a large makeover"? A large makeover would be gutting the defense and bringing in all new guys, or doing what Houston done and change scheme's. Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. We have essentially the same guys running the same scheme they have ran for yrs. and they still don't do it very well at all.

If you truly read the entire post I made and all of the information and that's all you can come back with then I just don't know. First, IMO bringing in ALL new players or entirely changing schemes is what I would consider a complete makeover. Maybe this is just a matter of semantics and each of our individual interpretations of the terms large makeover, small makeover, complete etc. Second, let me ask you this...you said we have had the same guys running the same system for years. When someone makes a statement like that, I consider that to mean at least 3-5 years or more. If you think of it the same way, then tell me how many of our starters have been OUR starters for at least 3-5 years? And even though Freeney and Mathis are still considered starters, they're not every down players so with their diminished role I find it hard to consider them starters in the sense that they're going to be playing the majority of the game. The plan now is to bring them in on passing downs and even then teams are going to at least occasionally audible out of the pass when this happens....though there will also of course be situations late in the game where they won't have a choice

If you truly read the entire post I made and all of the information and that's all you can come back with then I just don't know. First, IMO bringing in ALL new players or entirely changing schemes is what I would consider a complete makeover. Maybe this is just a matter of semantics and each of our individual interpretations of the terms large makeover, small makeover, complete etc. Second, let me ask you this...you said we have had the same guys running the same system for years. When someone makes a statement like that, I consider that to mean at least 3-5 years or more. If you think of it the same way, then tell me how many of our starters have been OUR starters for at least 3-5 years? And even though Freeney and Mathis are still considered starters, they're not every down players so with their diminished role I find it hard to consider them starters in the sense that they're going to be playing the majority of the game. The plan now is to bring them in on passing downs and even then teams are going to at least occasionally audible out of the pass when this happens....though there will also of course be situations late in the game where they won't have a choice

All im saying is that everybody with the exception of Anderson, Brayton, and Nevis all of the players have been in this same system for several yrs. now. Freeney and mathis may be situational players but they are still starters and even when Meeks was the D-coor. the system was basically the same with different verbage and maybe some subtle nuance changes. There is basically no make over at all, they just added a few players that have small roles. Even guys like Bullett has started before since Sanders was always injured. I don't know, im not trying to argue but when I see people say something like they had a large makeover, it sounds like an excuse to me and IMO there is no excuse for the continued bad play from our defense. I don't blame the players nearly as much as I blame the scheme, although blame is warrented to both.

All im saying is that everybody with the exception of Anderson, Brayton, and Nevis all of the players have been in this same system for several yrs. now. Freeney and mathis may be situational players but they are still starters and even when Meeks was the D-coor. the system was basically the same with different verbage and maybe some subtle nuance changes. There is basically no make over at all, they just added a few players that have small roles. Even guys like Bullett has started before since Sanders was always injured. I don't know, im not trying to argue but when I see people say something like they had a large makeover, it sounds like an excuse to me and IMO there is no excuse for the continued bad play from our defense. I don't blame the players nearly as much as I blame the scheme, although blame is warrented to both.

But again, that's simply not true. Moala, Powers and Lacey have been with us for 2 years. Hughes, Tryon, Angerer and Conner for only 1. Nevis, Anderson, Brayton, Sims, Rucker, Moten, Thomas, Lefeged, Caldwell and Terrence Johnson are each in their first years. That's 17 out of the 25 players on our defensive depth chart. That's close 70% of our defense. Take away Brackett who's injured and add Nate Triplett who we just re-signed and that number gets even worse. If you want to go into even more detail, 7 out of those 25 are rookies and not only trying to get acclimated to a new team but are also trying to adjust to the transition from College to the NFL which is not an easy task either. It's not an excuse..it's fact.

But again, that's simply not true. Moala, Powers and Lacey have been with us for 2 years. Hughes, Tryon, Angerer and Conner for only 1. Nevis, Anderson, Brayton, Sims, Rucker, Moten, Thomas, Lefeged, Caldwell and Terrence Johnson are each in their first years. That's 17 out of the 25 players on our defensive depth chart. That's close 70% of our defense. Take away Brackett who's injured and add Nate Triplett who we just re-signed and that number gets even worse. If you want to go into even more detail, 7 out of those 25 are rookies and not only trying to get acclimated to a new team but are also trying to adjust to the transition from College to the NFL which is not an easy task either. It's not an excuse..it's fact.

Maybe we are arguing semantics like you said earlier, but I still disagree. This is Moala's 4th yr., Angerer's 3rd, Tryon's 2nd, most of the other players are just backups and rookies. The core of the defense is the same and they shouldn't have any problems with the system and their was no makeover at all. Just added pieces!

Guys...

This is about my breakdown, take your own little arguments to PM.

If you have a problem with your thread branching into a new discussion then I'd suggest you PM a mod and see if they are willing to do something about it. Keep in mind however, that the majority of threads in this forum wind up off-topic or at least branching off into a related discussion. th_chillpillsmile.gif

If you have a problem with your thread branching into a new discussion then I'd suggest you PM a mod and see if they are willing to do something about it. Keep in mind however, that the majority of threads in this forum wind up off-topic or at least branching off into a related discussion. th_chillpillsmile.gif

Why does everyone tell me to chill, I'm rarely (like very rarely) angry, because this is an online forum. Maybe we should stop letting threads go off topic, and that could start with you, by just dropping this whole argument, and starting your PM with Balzer. I made this thread so I can let people see my breakdown and comment on it, and NOT get into another whole discussion unrelated to the original post. Now please, be mature about this, and start a PM if you would like to further argue with Balzer. Thank you... now does anyone have comments on the breakdown.

Why does everyone tell me to chill, I'm rarely (like very rarely) angry, because this is an online forum. Maybe we should stop letting threads go off topic, and that could start with you, by just dropping this whole argument, and starting your PM with Balzer. I made this thread so I can let people see my breakdown and comment on it, and NOT get into another whole discussion unrelated to the original post. Now please, be mature about this, and start a PM if you would like to further argue with Balzer. Thank you... now does anyone have comments on the breakdown.

You're pouting that your breakdown sprouted a discussion about our defense and you're asking me to be mature? :pkb: (I've been waiting to be able to use that emoticon :D )

And I'm not the first one to tell you to chill? Well color me surprised. :sarcasm:

And incidentally, it's not like the thread went so off topic that we're talking about whether peanuts and cashews are nuts or legumes (this discussion is going on in another thread but can't remember which one)...we're actually talking about the Colt's defense and what type of improvement we should be expecting of them and how quickly we should expect to see it. Improvements on defense were discussed in your breakdown so we're really not that off topic. There...see I referenced your breakdown...I'm back on topic now. :P

You're pouting that your breakdown sprouted a discussion about our defense and you're asking me to be mature? :pkb: (I've been waiting to be able to use that emoticon :D )

And I'm not the first one to tell you to chill? Well color me surprised. :sarcasm:

And incidentally, it's not like the thread went so off topic that we're talking about whether peanuts and cashews are nuts or legumes (this discussion is going on in another thread but can't remember which one)...we're actually talking about the Colt's defense and what type of improvement we should be expecting of them and how quickly we should expect to see it. Improvements on defense were discussed in your breakdown so we're really not that off topic. There...see I referenced your breakdown...I'm back on topic now. :P

Please, I don't want to start anything here, just talk about the breakdown, and say if it's good or not. Let's not start talking about how long some players have been in the system, because I did not mention that in my post. Please, just understand my plea, and go to a PM. Thank you, and let's not further add oil to this fire.

Please, I don't want to start anything here, just talk about the breakdown, and say if it's good or not. Let's not start talking about how long some players have been in the system, because I did not mention that in my post. Please, just understand my plea, and go to a PM. Thank you, and let's not further add oil to this fire.

So essentially what you're saying is you only want people to reply if they're going to comment on how good or bad your write up was. No offense but that's kinda sad. "C'mon guys stop talking about Colts football and just tell me how good I did...I'm totally cereal."

Seriously though, just because you started the thread doesn't mean you have complete ownership of it and what can be discussed in it.

So essentially what you're saying is you only want people to reply if they're going to comment on how good or bad your write up was. No offense but that's kinda sad. "C'mon guys stop talking about Colts football and just tell me how good I did...I'm totally cereal."

Seriously though, just because you started the thread doesn't mean you have complete ownership of it and what can be discussed in it.

You know what I'm tired of arguing, just write whatever the heck you want

Well, I wasn't going to reply to Andy's response at all, but this is something that I am in total agreement with Jason on. Andy sounds very needy with the "talk about my breakdown" stuff. Im sure just about every post here goes off topic if the thread gets enough responses. I may not agree with you on the defense discussion we were having but on your response to Andy im in total agreement.