Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

At What Point Do You Tell Peyton Wait Till Next Season?

dn4192

No one is sure when or if Petyon will play in this season. I don't think he knows, or the doctors know or the team knows. So at what point in the season should the team tell Peyton he is being IR'ed and needs to think about getting ready for the 2012 season?

No one is sure when or if Petyon will play in this season. I don't think he knows, or the doctors know or the team knows. So at what point in the season should the team tell Peyton he is being IR'ed and needs to think about getting ready for the 2012 season?

When, WHEN, we are eliminated from the Playoffs.

I would guess that the decision would come around the bye week. And it all depends on a number of factors. How is Peyton physically at that point, how many wins do the Colts have, who's currently leading the division?

If Peyton is ready, and his return could take us to the playoffs, I think the Colts will let him play. However, if we only have 2 or 3 wins, and the Texans or whichever team is way ahead of us leading the division, and we have virtually no chance to make a comeback, they will I.R. him

If he is cleared by the doctors he may decide he wants to play this year regardless of the teams record. If our record is so horrible what is the difference if they hold a roster spot for him rather than IR him.

He may want to get confidence playing this year after the injury heals.

I don't think the colts tell Peyton too much .........they suggest.

Go Colts!!

I would guess by the bye week. At that point we have an extremely tough schedule, and I would expect some rust from Peyton anyway. I wouldn't expect to win those games unless Peyton was in his true form. If we haven't won a game by our bye week I could easily see us IRing Peyton and filling his roster spot with someone else.

well if we lose this week it pretty much ends the season - you cannot win the Browns at home, the only other winnable game might by the Chiefs and we will be 1-15 most likely. On the other hand, it really doesn't matter since the result wont be determined by Manning's roster spot.

If he is cleared by the doctors he may decide he wants to play this year regardless of the teams record. If our record is so horrible what is the difference if they hold a roster spot for him rather than IR him.

He may want to get confidence playing this year after the injury heals.

I don't think the colts tell Peyton too much .........they suggest.

Go Colts!!

I totally agree 100%

Considering the published details of his surgery, I don't think he'll be back this season medically--though I guarantee he'll be "safe" to play next season, barring some crazy complication which is unlikely. The better question is whether or not his triceps strength will improve or not. If it is not improved in the next 2-6 months I don't think it will improve later either. Hard to see any point in him playing towards the end of this season anyway, but again I just doubt he'll be cleared this season.

Time...

Considering the published details of his surgery, I don't think he'll be back this season medically--though I guarantee he'll be "safe" to play next season, barring some crazy complication which is unlikely. The better question is whether or not his triceps strength will improve or not. If it is not improved in the next 2-6 months I don't think it will improve later either. Hard to see any point in him playing towards the end of this season anyway, but again I just doubt he'll be cleared this season.

Time...

Well, seeing how you are a neurosurgeon I would agree with you. I said right after the surgery I didn't see how he would be able to play at all this season. I don't really see any up side to trying to rush him back and unless the coaches and the team put together some kind of miraculous winning streak I don't think we'll ever be in any kind of playoff scenario anyway.

I hope he is able to come back...nerve damage is hard to predict. I've had both my hips replaced, the first was in august 2009, and I still have numb areas (about a 5 inch by 7 inch area) around the incisions. The feeling never did come back in either of the two areas, and although Peyton's injury is different, it still involves nerve damage. I guess I'm just preparing myself for the fact that his return is not a given, which is something to keep in mind.

Hoping for the best though.

For all intents and purposes I think Peyton is done for the year. The Colts probably already know this but won't say so officially or IR him because they believe that it is better for ticket sales and overall fan interest to let us believe there is a possibility 18 might return at some point. But I don't think they will chance putting Peyton at risk this year.

For all intents and purposes I think Peyton is done for the year. The Colts probably already know this but won't say so officially or IR him because they believe that it is better for ticket sales and overall fan interest to let us believe there is a possibility 18 might return at some point. But I don't think they will chance putting Peyton at risk this year.

Agree. And if they publicly rule him out for the season I think the team will mail the season in automatically due to a lack of hope, leadership and confidence.

Still ticket selling will plunge into the record low, which is the major reason.

Agree. And if they publicly rule him out for the season I think the team will mail the season in automatically due to a lack of hope, leadership and confidence.

Still ticket selling will plunge into the record low, which is the major reason.

Well maybe if Manning was in the ticket booth signing the tickets, sales would stay up. Then after the game starts, he could be in the concourse signing $8.00 beer containers.

When the doctors tell Peyton he can't play this season. Peyton loves playing football and wants to help the team if he can only play in week 17 and we are 0-15 at that point he's going to want to play and the team is probably going to let him and frankly it's not a bad idea. Yeah it's not going to change the out come of the season but it's going to let the Colts see if they think he can come back from the surgery or if they need to use that out clause that some fans made so much out of.

Not to be a downer, but I think Manning is already done for the season....it's not worth risking. I also think there is a 50/50 chance he may be done for good.

Same here....I hope we're wrong about him being done for good. As far as his season being done...probably bye week for the official announcement.

You tell him to wait until next season if returning this season at any point is going to injure him further.

If he's completely recovered and ready to come back, I don't think anyone is going to be able to keep him on the bench. Peyton's the kind of player who will want to help his team no matter what the team's record is. It wouldn't surprise me if he's hating himself for not being able to help the team out. Even though it's nowhere near being his fault, that's just the kind of competitive player he is.

If the day comes that we are eliminated from the playoffs, and not a day sooner. You always have a chance with #18

This is what I'm thinking as well.

I think that will be up to Peyton, as much as anybody.

But really, if we hit week 10, or perhaps the bye week, and there just isn't a way - mathematically - for us to make the playoffs, then you let him set out and plan for next year. Which sucks, because I loved the off-season moves, as well as the prospect of hosting (and winning) the Super Bowl in Indy.