Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do The Colts Have Too Many Polians?

nitecrawler

Bill Polian- Vice Chairman; Chris Polian- GM and VP; Dennis Polian-Director of football administration

What type of atmosphere must there be in the FO when you see long-time employees being fired(Powers) to give positions to Polians? Do others in the front office fear dissention or offering opinions that differ from that of a Polian?

If I worked in the FO and I saw executive positions being given to the boss’s relatives, I would become an instant “yes man”.

“…what, you want to start Hughes….Good idea”

“ …you want to move Linchenbach to center…that’s what I was thinking”

Is nepotism in the FO good for the Colts? :hmm:

Good point on the nepotism comment, I'm sure some people on this forum that know nothing about business MIGHT criticize you. Being a business student myself we see it's not a good thing. For instance, my best friend started up a major business with some very good friends of his, but under no circumstances do they deny privileges to other based on hiring friends or family members. It would basically be a human resources violation to an extent. It happens all the time in the business world and turns out being bad for the most part, (it CAN ruin great client relations).

That being said, I personally have no knowledge of how the Polians run their business, but if they release people and deny opportunity for others based on the fact that they would rather hire family members or friends (even if they are much less experienced) that's bad business. In today's business world it's not a great thing.

Dennis Polian... don't really know what he does. Chris has been good in his one year with us, and Bill has been great for us. He picked PM in his 1st year with us, and went to 4 SBs with the Bills.

As a point of fact--Chris has been with the team since 1998. He was director of pro scouting from 1998 to 2000, then was assistant director of football operations from 2001 to 2003, was promoted to assistant general manager/football operations in 2004, and was finally promoted to his current position as vice president and general manager in 2009 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4693394). The promotion to GM in '09 was because Kansas City was interviewing him for their GM position.

While it may be nepotism, he did work his way up through the organization like any other executive would have to do. In general, I have no problem with Chris taking over the reigns, but I do think it is time for Bill to step out of the picture and let Chris operate with complete autonomy. It is obvious from what Chris/Bill said this year that this was primarily Chris' draft...I think it's just speculation to say how much of a presence he had in '09 and 10, although the Ugoh pick/trade-up has been documented as his doing (while this ended up being a bad pick, Ugoh wasn't considered a reach and showed a lot of promise his first year, so while a miss, it wasn't as bad of one as people like to say). It is hard for us as fans to really evaluate Chris' quality of work during his first 12 years with the organization, but for the majority of time he was overseeing scouting/operations, the Colts had dominant personnel. If this year's draft/free agency is any indication of how he will operate as GM, I will be pleased. In short, he has the resume to be a GM in the NFL and he would be one somewhere else if it wasn't in Indy. Now we just need Bill to actually retire so we get a full picture of what Chris can do. I think Bill is just holding on now hoping that Peyton can put another Super Bowl on his resume (and still having some sort of say in the front office).

Dennis was brought in this year to oversee/enable the Colts to adapt to the new CBA...not sure if he will stick around or not. Again, while this is nepotism, Dennis does have the resume to do such things.

Bill Polian- Vice Chairman; Chris Polian- GM and VP; Dennis Polian-Director of football administration

What type of atmosphere must there be in the FO when you see long-time employees being fired(Powers) to give positions to Polians? Do others in the front office fear dissention or offering opinions that differ from that of a Polian?

If I worked in the FO and I saw executive positions being given to the boss’s relatives, I would become an instant “yes man”.

Only time will tell with this issue. We know from History that Dad knows what he is doing, but that doesn't mean son's do. So we just wait and see.

As a point of fact--Chris has been with the team since 1998. He was director of pro scouting from 1998 to 2000, then was assistant director of football operations from 2001 to 2003, was promoted to assistant general manager/football operations in 2004, and was finally promoted to his current position as vice president and general manager in 2009 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4693394). The promotion to GM in '09 was because Kansas City was interviewing him for their GM position.

While it may be nepotism, he did work his way up through the organization like any other executive would have to do. In general, I have no problem with Chris taking over the reigns, but I do think it is time for Bill to step out of the picture and let Chris operate with complete autonomy. It is obvious from what Chris/Bill said this year that this was primarily Chris' draft...I think it's just speculation to say how much of a presence he had in '09 and 10, although the Ugoh pick/trade-up has been documented as his doing (while this ended up being a bad pick, Ugoh wasn't considered a reach and showed a lot of promise his first year, so while a miss, it wasn't as bad of one as people like to say). It is hard for us as fans to really evaluate Chris' quality of work during his first 12 years with the organization, but for the majority of time he was overseeing scouting/operations, the Colts had dominant personnel. If this year's draft/free agency is any indication of how he will operate as GM, I will be pleased. In short, he has the resume to be a GM in the NFL and he would be one somewhere else if it wasn't in Indy. Now we just need Bill to actually retire so we get a full picture of what Chris can do. I think Bill is just holding on now hoping that Peyton can put another Super Bowl on his resume (and still having some sort of say in the front office).

Dennis was brought in this year to oversee/enable the Colts to adapt to the new CBA...not sure if he will stick around or not. Again, while this is nepotism, Dennis does have the resume to do such things.

i was saying Chris has ben good for the one year as a GM

He put all his chips in draft choices, most of them were and are mediocre. He has not talent for wheeling/dealing in trades. Small, fast defense line and LB's, mediocre secondary and weak front line protection. As long as he had #18 he believed he would be delivered to the promise land. Well, that's like British Petroleum putting all their faith in corks to stop their leaks in the Gulf of Mexico.....................it does not work!

Bill has an excellent track record, so I'm fine with him on the team and I actually prefer him on the team. Chris did a lot this year to shore up our weaknesses, namely the O-line and run defense. The jury is still out on him. As for Dennis, I'm not entirely sure what his role is.

I don't really know if the OL and DL are any better after watching the first game. time will tell.

Nepotism is not just hiring of family and friends, it's showing favoritism to family and friends in the work place. There is no evidence of nepotism, with Chris he has worked his way up through the ranks and has proven himself. I don't know much about Dennis Polian's role but the Colts are always under the cap, so he seems qualified for his position as well.

No.

Nepotism is not just hiring of family and friends, it's showing favoritism to family and friends in the work place. There is no evidence of nepotism, with Chris he has worked his way up through the ranks and has proven himself. I don't know much about Dennis Polian's role but the Colts are always under the cap, so he seems qualified for his position as well.

There's also no evidence that there was not nepotism. When he was hired as the director of pro scouting he was only 27. That seems young to me, and I can't imagine that he was super qualified. However, like I stated earlier, I think Chris has successfully worked his way up through the organization and is now more than qualified. He would be a GM elsewhere if not in Indy.

Also, people, this is not Chris' first year as GM, so stop saying it is. He's been GM since 2009.

There's also no evidence that there was not nepotism. When he was hired as the director of pro scouting he was only 27. That seems young to me, and I can't imagine that he was super qualified. However, like I stated earlier, I think Chris has successfully worked his way up through the organization and is now more than qualified. He would be a GM elsewhere if not in Indy.

Also, people, this is not Chris' first year as GM, so stop saying it is. He's been GM since 2009.

Please, that's like us saying there is also no evidence that Peyton Manning doesn't have the plague and that is why he's out. To say someone is suffering from something it's on the person throwing that out there to show evidence of it being there not the other way around.

Chris Polian also backed up why he was hired as the director of pro scouting. Who do you think found all those undrafted free agents that his dad signed? Frankly our draft fall offs has gone hand and hand with the time Chris Polian stopped being the head of scouting and became more invovled with the GM role side of things. I do agree with that Chris Polian would be a GM some place else if we hadn't locked him up in fact there Falcons were very close to hiring both him and Jim Caldwell and taking them to Atlanta that's why we locked them into place as GM and Head Coach in waiting.

Frankly I wouldn't put too much stock in the titles the Colts use. We all know Bill Polian is still the person making the final call on things on there. Yes I do think he has been giving his son more power over time and is going to give Chris Polian the job full-time but the fact Chris Polian holds the title of GM doesn't mean he's making the final call on things, yes his dad is giving him more power on several things like the draft but I would almost be willing to bet the house that dad still has veto power.

Please, that's like us saying there is also no evidence that Peyton Manning doesn't have the plague and that is why he's out. To say someone is suffering from something it's on the person throwing that out there to show evidence of it being there not the other way around.

Chris Polian also backed up why he was hired as the director of pro scouting. Who do you think found all those undrafted free agents that his dad signed? Frankly our draft fall offs has gone hand and hand with the time Chris Polian stopped being the head of scouting and became more invovled with the GM role side of things. I do agree with that Chris Polian would be a GM some place else if we hadn't locked him up in fact there Falcons were very close to hiring both him and Jim Caldwell and taking them to Atlanta that's why we locked them into place as GM and Head Coach in waiting.

Frankly I wouldn't put too much stock in the titles the Colts use. We all know Bill Polian is still the person making the final call on things on there. Yes I do think he has been giving his son more power over time and is going to give Chris Polian the job full-time but the fact Chris Polian holds the title of GM doesn't mean he's making the final call on things, yes his dad is giving him more power on several things like the draft but I would almost be willing to bet the house that dad still has veto power.

I think we agree. Coffee said there is no evidence there was nepotism and all I was saying is that there is also no evidence that says there isn't. Neither can be proved since the only evidence we have is that Chris is Bill's son and that he was 27 when hired, which sounds like but is not necessarily nepotism. I think the better question for this thread is whether or not Chris is qualified to be GM. I say he is and that it is time Bill steps out of the picture to lets him prove that and truly put his stamp on the team.

I get the sense that Bill is stepping back and Scott isn't up to the task. It's time to bring in a fresh perspective. We just need someone who is proven.

Maybe I need to do some more reading about who exactly is in the Colts' front office but....who's Scott?

Sigh... 12 wins a year.. and some just lady and moan.

Unprecedented success gets unprecedented negativity. Sure things could have been better but.... look at what Indy was before.

Or were you around? wink wink

When the Colts kick the Brown's *'s I guess you will be back on the "bandwagon" ............... AGAIN

Sigh... 12 wins a year.. and some just lady and moan.

Some just lady and moan? What does that even mean? lol (I really hate that the code on this site automatically turns that into an emoticon...surely they could change the code to wear it requires the colons on each side...maybe I should pm a mod and ask oh dear I think I got off track)

Anywho...I do agree with the rest of your post. Some people have just decided they are not going to like Polian, or Caldwell or our defense or whatever and no amount of evidence you can prove to the contrary would mean a thing....until we start winning again.

I can't really argue that based on what has been reported about him.

Let's be honest here.....

If YOU sent 6 teams to SB's and had the track record of one B Polian... Would U be a tad bit "arrogant" ???

I know I would be. Juat one or two more SB wins and Polian is in the "legendary" scope of things.

Indy should feel lucky to have had him be here.

Let's be honest here.....

If YOU sent 6 teams to SB's and had the track record of one B Polian... Would U be a tad bit "arrogant" ???

I know I would be. Juat one or two more SB wins and Polian is in the "legendary" scope of things.

Indy should feel lucky to have had him be here.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just said I couldn't really arge the point that he was that way. Also if you read any of my posts you'll quickly see I am a Polian fan but that doesn't mean he's not jerk. Frankly I don't care if he is as long as he keeps building winning teams.