Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts might open camp on time, but injury rehab will keep Manning on the sideline a bit longer - INDY STAR

bayone

quarterbackPeyton Manning will not be ready once camp begins July 31 in Anderson as he recovers from surgery on a disk in his neck.

A source familiar with Manning's health situation said Tuesday that Manning will not be able to participate at the outset, and at this point, there's no way of knowing how much time he might miss.

'

It could be a week. It could be a couple of weeks. Or even most, or all, of training camp.

Those questions won't start to be answered until Manning gets to meet with the Colts' rehabilitation staff, a group he has trusted with his health for more than a decade now.

Fans have wondered why Manning, who also had neck surgery in March 2010 and didn't miss any camp time, had this latest surgery May 23 rather than getting it done shortly after the end of the season.

ISSUE STARTED LAST SEASON

Here's the answer, according to the source: Manning, who had calcium buildup removed in March of last year, had recurring neck problems throughout the '10 season. Once February rolled around, he pursued every non-surgical option imaginable. As time went on, though, the discomfort from a disk problem continued. In May, doctors told him he had no choice but to have surgery.

One day after Manning's surgery, Colts owner Jim Irsay told reporters at the NFL meetings in Chicago, "It's usually a six- to eight-week recovery period. I think this is one you can bounce back from quickly."

Come July 31, it will be almost 10 weeks since the procedure. Barring a miracle recovery, Manning is not going to be ready for the start of camp.

My link

I hope this doesn't affect the team like it did in 2008, when Manning missed camp w/ the knee...We got off to 3-4 that year, and the offense was very sloppy early on. People keep saying, "oh it's Manning, he'll be fine" but this is a very timing-dependent offense and I was at that home opener in 2008 and everything looked "off"...I just hope he can get some reps in before the 1st game.

I hope this doesn't affect the team like it did in 2008, when Manning missed camp w/ the knee...We got off to 3-4 that year, and the offense was very sloppy early on. People keep saying, "oh it's Manning, he'll be fine" but this is a very timing-dependent offense and I was at that home opener in 2008 and everything looked "off"...I just hope he can get some reps in before the 1st game.

Peyton said he took 5-6 games before he felt like he was back to normal & ready to play

Just saw on NFL Live that Peyton is actually having some nerve problems with his right shoulder after the surgery. More serious that what was originally thought. If he really needs his therapist, the Colts need to release that therapist and Peyton needs to hire that therapist to work with him.

Just saw on NFL Live that Peyton is actually having some nerve problems with his right shoulder after the surgery. More serious that what was originally thought. If he really needs his therapist, the Colts need to release that therapist and Peyton needs to hire that therapist to work with him.

Sounds like the very same thing Stampedeblue reported he had wrong with him last year. Nerve issue sending shooting pain down his throwing arm. Does that explain the sleeve he wore last year? I'd like to know why he was never on the injury report, obviously a pretty serious injury to require another operation. It's one thing to nonsense the fan base and media over the severity of injuries, but they better be careful about BSing the injury report. That's a violation of league rules. As for therapist, i'm not sure i buy that totally. I don't doubt he would be more comfortable with his own guy, but he must still be pretty bad off if he doesn't even have the confidence to throw a football. If he felt ok, he would be throwing, therapist or not.JMO

we can speculate all we want. but based on past history, we won't have a clue what's really going on

Exactly. I could see something playing out where Peyton arrives to camp, team doctors examine him and tell him he can play and what do you know, Peyton is there for the start of training camp. If not the first day, maybe the second. I think Peyton will be fine. Most of the articles I have read about this say something like "according to an uncited source" or "unnamed sources close to the situation", no hard facts, just speculation.