Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 NFL Award Show (Spoilers)

supremecoltsfan300

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I wasn't going to watch since I knew who the winners were but it has been really good so I'm switching between the awards and Indiana/Michigan game. :thmup:  Go Hoosiers :applause:

Susie,  stay tuned.   Brett and Aaron are presenting the award to Peyton NEXT...

He was asked who he thought was going to win MVP. Would you prefer him lie?

You know I recognized that your initial question - which sounded very innocent - was really an attempt to get me to say something unreasonable that you could argue against. I tried very hard not to accommodate you. Once again, I have NO problem with Peterson. Don't care much at all about any of this.

I was simply saying in general that I happen to prefer athletes who try to sound humble. I realize that none of them would have risen to the levels that they have if they actually had low opinions of themselves. The 53rd guy on every roster KNOWS that he is the best in the world. But in a situation like that, where you have already accomplished enough to be in the conversation for the highest individual honor in the league, the "appropriate" answer would something along the lines of "Well of course I want to win it, it would be an honor, but it would be foolish for me to make a prediction. All of the candidates had tremendous years, and I don't envy the writers who have to choose just one". Boring, yes, but "the right thing to do". The word "lie" is utterly irrelevant to the situation. I don't think that answering the way he did makes Peterson a bad person, just woefully unprepared. Much like - despite weeks of time for preparation and "knowing" that he is going to win - deciding to wing his acceptance speeches. Ask your agent for advice, listen to previous recipients speeches, jot some notes down and organize your thoughts ahead of time. It's not that hard for someone who loves the spotlight - yet his comments made me squirm with discomfort.

The larger issue - what type of athlete do you prefer, Peyton Manning (perhaps my favorite ever) or Dion Sanders (perhaps my least favorite ever). Whatever makes your boat float. Peterson isn't remotely the self-promoting fat head that Sanders is, I just don't think that he handled all this particularly well.