Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Finally a offense scheme that fits LUCK

Rian Huff

offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton said he expects to use more of a west coast offense next season. "It'll be a variation of the West Coast (with) West Coast principles,'' Hamilton said. "The short, efficient passing game, a high completion rate." Hamilton ran the west coast offense at Stanford with QB Andrew Luck.

Im glad, i could easily see his completion rating go up by about 9% and his sacks and hurries go down considerably i just hope are running game could be as good as it was this year or better (just saying that because it the best its been since 2007 i think)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only person I'm worried about is.....

1. Reggie Wayne: Does he really feel like learning another offense? But I'm sure Reggie being the Man he is will suck it up & have a positive outlook on it

Ballard, Fleener, & Allen should be salivating at this NEW scheme because they'll be huge parts of the offense

Only person I'm worried about is.....

1. Reggie Wayne: Does he really feel like learning another offense? But I'm sure Reggie being the Man he is will suck it up & have a positive outlook on it

Ballard, Fleener, & Allen should be salivating at this NEW scheme because they'll be huge parts of the offense

fleener will be happy he is going back to that scheme. cant forget he was a stanford boy too

I didn't forget. Him & Whalen. Looks like the old gang is back together :yahoo:

A lot of people keep bringing up Whalen. I'll be surprised if he makes the roster and if he does, it will be as the final WR. I don't see him as a special teams contributor which hurts his case. He'll be competing with Reggie, TY, Brazil, Palmer, Sambrono, Kelley, and a rookie and FA or two. Who do you think Whalen, who is short, small, and slow, will unseat?

Now watch s soon as luck starts lighting it up... The talking heads and other posters will be saying "he's in a familiar offense", "they tailored the scheme around luck." Almost completely forgetting that even when the offense wasn't as suitable he still find ways to win.. And that other qbs actually came into the league with little to no learning curve, and it didn't hurt to have a top 3 rushing attack either

A lot of people keep bringing up Whalen. I'll be surprised if he makes the roster and if he does, it will be as the final WR. I don't see him as a special teams contributor which hurts his case. He'll be competing with Reggie, TY, Brazil, Palmer, Sambrono, Kelley, and a rookie and FA or two. Who do you think Whalen, who is short, small, and slow, will unseat?

Whalen "Small"?? Did you see him in the PS vs the Steelers? He was not SMALL. Gary Coleman is Small, Whalen has gotten bigger

Now watch s soon as luck starts lighting it up... The talking heads and other posters will be saying "he's in a familiar offense", "they tailored the scheme around luck." Almost completely forgetting that even when the offense wasn't as suitable he still find ways to win.. And that other qbs actually came into the league with little to no learning curve, and it didn't hurt to have a top 3 rushing attack either

If they use that lame excuse, then everything RG3 did is the same. Only difference is they ran that read option a bit more than he did at Baylor. Let them talk. Like chuck said, we'll be hoisting the Lombardi a few times.

Waylon is collies size

Whalen "Small"?? Did you see him in the PS vs the Steelers? He was not SMALL. Gary Coleman is Small, Whalen has gotten bigger

Waylon is collies size

He is under 6 feet tall and listed at 185. That is small for the NFL. Heck, he's smaller than me and barely faster! He's basically a slower version of every other WR on the roster not named Wayne or Kelley.

I thought he played "bigger", if you know what I mean. When I saw him in the preseason game I immediately had to look at his stats to see how big he is because I thought he was just another water bug.

I don't see us keeping Avery since TY and Brazil bring the same game and are cheaper. So that leaves at least one more WR spot, if not two. I think he makes the team easily if he's not injured again. (And I have my doubts about how injured he was in the first place)

I agree with you that it will be hard for him to make the roster... I do think that he will get a very good opportunity, though because the OC is comfortable with him and he already has familiarity with the terminology. This will probably make him look better earlier, but I'm not sold on his physicality/skills yet.

A

lot of people keep bringing up Whalen. I'll be surprised if he makes

the roster and if he does, it will be as the final WR. I don't see him

as a special teams contributor which hurts his case. He'll be competing

with Reggie, TY, Brazil, Palmer, Sambrono, Kelley, and a rookie and FA

or two. Who do you think Whalen, who is short, small, and slow, will

unseat?

Don't give up on Griff Whalen  he was a  walk on at Stanford,On a team

that had   Fleener  who was the second best ,Whalen  was 3'rd , So I would'nt give up on him just yet his familiarity with the system & new OC  will give him opportunities if healthy he'll make the team .

Whalen is a Collie clone.

And Larry Horseman obviously didn't watch Griff last preseason, and I doubt he runs a 4.5.

He ran a 4.55 at his pro day, his low was 4.48.  I don't get too caught up in 40 times, unless they're extremely slow.  It's quickness, separation and route running that makes a good receiver.

Alright guys, the 40 thing was a bit of a joke. Still, no one has answered my question. Who does Whalen beat out for a roster spot? It's easy to talk him up without thinking about the actual context of who is on the roster. He's not better than Brazil, Palmer, or Sambrano from what I saw last preseason. 

offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton said he expects to use more of a west coast offense next season. "It'll be a variation of the West Coast (with) West Coast principles,'' Hamilton said. "The short, efficient passing game, a high completion rate." Hamilton ran the west coast offense at Stanford with QB Andrew Luck.

Im glad, i could easily see his completion rating go up by about 9% and his sacks and hurries go down considerably i just hope are running game could be as good as it was this year or better (just saying that because it the best its been since 2007 i think)

Before this thread get completely away from the OPs post, I wanted to play Devil's Advocate.

Why are we so sure that the WCO will be a success?  It's been run in the NFL for over 20 years and D coordinators are used to defending it.  

The big risk, big reward, downfield O that BA ran was a success.  It succeeded in spite of horrible O line play and we won more games than anyone would have guessed.  And yes, I know that was all because of Luck's ability to overcome free running D linemen and look downfield.  We converted more 3rd and longs than we could have imagined.

Just trying not to get too carried away with the "everything is going to be wonderful" sentiment. 

Alright guys, the 40 thing was a bit of a joke. Still, no one has answered my question. Who does Whalen beat out for a roster spot?

I already posted my opinion.  We don't sign Avery (too expensive for what he brings).  That leaves Reggie, TY, and Brazil.  Two or three spots open, right?

Whalen fits in the new O better than anyone else currently on our roster.  I'd love to see Collie make a comeback, but I'm not counting on it.

Now you tell us, who beats out Whalen?

I also hope Dwayne Allen doesn't get a reduced role. He deserves to be a major focus next season.

Just to inform you about this WCO, if there's a "TE" next to your Name, you're automatically a MAJOR Role in this Offense. How else do you think the words "Luck to Fleener" came along? Lol

Allen is gonna be a bigger role than he was in Arians Offense imo

I already posted my opinion.  We don't sign Avery (too expensive for what he brings).  That leaves Reggie, TY, and Brazil.  Two or three spots open, right?

Whalen fits in the new O better than anyone else currently on our roster.  I'd love to see Collie make a comeback, but I'm not counting on it.

I did...Sambrano and Palmer looked better to me. I'll eat my crow if Whalen turns into a stud. I hope you do the same when he is #5 WR, on the PS, or neither...

I honestly believe Whalen will beat out someone & become either #3 or #4 WR. Yes we just got that Tall WR, but that doesn't mean the Roster order is set. Whalen has experience in this Offense, so he has an Edge already. It's gonna be interesting to watch this WR core in TC & PS this year.

I did...Sambrano and Palmer looked better to me. I'll eat my crow if Whalen turns into a stud. I hope you do the same when he is #5 WR, on the PS, or neither...

Well Whalen was kept last season as opposed to Sambrano. So I would say he has the inside track over Sambrano anyway.

Keep in mind guys you mentioned, Palmer, Brazil, all barely contributed last year as a HEALTHY wr and Sambrano did not even make the teams final cuts if memory serves, Whalen making the roster wont be easy but he has as much a shot as Palmer or Brazill,  nevermind Sambrano till I see something from him

Why would I eat crow?  Especially if he makes the team as #5?  I'm only giving my opinion, and from what I saw of him in the PS he looked better than Sambrano.  I really haven't seen Palmer do anything, so I'll reserve my opinion on him.

Like I said earlier, he was stashed on IR because of a minor injury, yet they released Sambrano.  That has to say something about what they thought of him.

Fleener will probably be the 4th or 5th receiver. Sort of like Dallas was.