Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let Us Talk About The Cleveland Browns

chad72

Let us get some actual in-game discussion going instead of record predictions, who is to blame for what, or the issues over the last few years etc., just something different for a change :).

These are some key things I know about the Browns:

1. They changed to a 4-3 D from a 3-4 D since their LBs were not athletic enough to make it work and Mike Holmgren is a big fan of the 4-3 too, I guess
  2. New DC is nearly not as crazy or aggressive like the old DC Rob Ryan
  3. Colt McCoy is way more mobile on the bootlegs than Matt Schaub
  4. Deadly KR/PR in Joshua Cribbs
  5. Young and talented but inexperienced secondary, can be manipulated by veteran QB
  6. Their offense is more dink and dunk than vertical passing game, as expected from a west coast offense. However, they can surprise you off play action for an occasional big gainer.
  7. Peyton Hillis ran 17 times and Colt McCoy threw 40 times the previous game, I have a feeling it will be more the other way vs the Colts

Any other things to be aware of?

[*]Peyton Hillis ran 17 times and Colt McCoy threw 40 times the previous game, I have a feeling it will be more the other way vs the Colts

If it's not the other way around, they have not watched much tape. I swear, if I was playing the Colts, I don't know if I would need to dress a QB on game day.

Things I know about the Browns:

-Last I heard, Phil Taylor was playing very well

-Hillis had a pretty quiet game last week

-They run a west coast offense

-Haden will probably be covering Wayne, but an experienced WR like Wayne will be able to take advantage of Haden's inexperience

-Cribbs is one of the best return men in the league and the new kickoff placement rules haven't done much to prevent returns

All I know is that my bum is going to pucker every time we kick to them on Sunday. I think our offense has a chance to show what it's made of. I'm not sold on their defense. There offense can do some explosive things, so our defense needs to be ready.

We are going to need to stop the run!!! I think the Colts need to institute a bonus/fine system with our defense. They get bonuses for tackles behind the line of scrimage, interceptions, fumble recoveries and tipped passes. They also get fined for missed tackles, penalties and general bonehead plays that result in massive yards from the other team.

Just my opinion

Let us get some actual in-game discussion going instead of record predictions, who is to blame for what, or the issues over the last few years etc., just something different for a change :).

These are some key things I know about the Browns:

1. They changed to a 4-3 D from a 3-4 D since their LBs were not athletic enough to make it work and Mike Holmgren is a big fan of the 4-3 too, I guess
  2. New DC is nearly not as crazy or aggressive like the old DC Rob Ryan
  3. Colt McCoy is way more mobile on the bootlegs than Matt Schaub
  4. Deadly KR/PR in Joshua Cribbs
  5. Young and talented but inexperienced secondary, can be manipulated by veteran QB
  6. Their offense is more dink and dunk than vertical passing game, as expected from a west coast offense. However, they can surprise you off play action for an occasional big gainer.
  7. Peyton Hillis ran 17 times and Colt McCoy threw 40 times the previous game, I have a feeling it will be more the other way vs the Colts

Any other things to be aware of?

dont worry everyone can beat a 4-3, ooops we run it too.at least were not like Belichick running a 4-3 or 3-4 or 5-2 we are predicable

The dinks and dunks could be the death of the colts coupled with hillis... thats if the colts dont address the issue with foster starting and them playing off so many times... those browns receivers arent much of a threat so they should take a bit more chances i think.

The dinks and dunks could be the death of the colts coupled with hillis... thats if the colts dont address the issue with foster starting and them playing off so many times... those browns receivers arent much of a threat so they should take a bit more chances i think.

dont worry about us stopping the run coaches are going to make some adjustments

We've been waiting for roughly the last 55 or so games for the coaches to make adjustments.

the problem isn't schemes. its personnel. that's what you don't get, jim.

fastest D in the league, but can't tackle worth nonsense and the Dline as a whole is way too small. I am finished with the small and fast philosophy, it doesn't work for us. Its been time to move away from that for a while, but no one cared because P Money was putting up so many points on the board our pitiful D has been playing to hold leads.

Now the focus is on them, and it looks ugly. :(

We've been waiting for roughly the last 55 or so games for the coaches to make adjustments.

fastest D in the league, but can't tackle worth nonsense and the Dline as a whole is way too small. I am finished with the small and fast philosophy, it doesn't work for us. Its been time to move away from that for a while, but no one cared because P Money was putting up so many points on the board our pitiful D has been playing to hold leads.

coaches realise we are tiny and they are going to make adjustments so we look bigger , more padding!

We have to tackle better, I'd tell Pat kick the ball out of bounds on punts and give up some yards that way, we need much better play ont the o-line and tell Freeney and Mathis to play to the outside looking for the bootleg. We need to stay with the ground game, that's one of the few bright spots that came out of the Texans gamet that has been ignored is that the ground game looked improved, Addai had a 5.0 yard per carry average and for the first time in forever I remember us converting a first down by running the ball on third and short. If we do those things we'll be fine.

Some of you guys are too scared of Hillis. These are the kinds of teams we actually can stop the run against. Our D will have a good day provided that they can stop the dink and dunk. Even the worst qbs can dink and dunk us, but once they get in the red zone they can't punch it in and resort to a field goal. They will get a lot of field goals, a couple turnovers, and a few punts. They'll be lucky to get 15 points against us. The offense just needs to score a couple touchdowns and I think we win in a low scoring game.

So wait.... Drafting an exceedingly disruptive 300+ DT, bringing in two 290 pound run-stuffing DE's, and trying out a slew of additional lineman, not to mention an anti-run LB in Sims, are signs of sticking to "small and fast"?

We got bigger and more run-focused than ever, but haven't had a full off-season to gel, and it's already a fail? Give it some time people.

So wait.... Drafting an exceedingly disruptive 300+ DT, bringing in two 290 pound run-stuffing DE's, and trying out a slew of additional lineman, not to mention an anti-run LB in Sims, are signs of sticking to "small and fast"?

We got bigger and more run-focused than ever, but haven't had a full off-season to gel, and it's already a fail? Give it some time people.

Doogan, why you so logical?

The colts will come into this game and do the same thing they did in the texans game... come in with freeney, mathis and foster on the line and expect them to play the run like some run defenders... That will not work, and if they do come into the game like that well you better expect it to be a long season especially on defense.

It doesnt matter what the colts did in the Offseason... those players didnt come in until the 2nd half and that was late. For some reason the colts believe foster, mathis and freeney can do a better job at stoppin the run?

The last sentence is the best comment I've heard in a long time. I think most people think they can just download an app that will make the team instantly perfect... lol

Some of you guys are too scared of Hillis. These are the kinds of teams we actually can stop the run against. Our D will have a good day provided that they can stop the dink and dunk. Even the worst qbs can dink and dunk us, but once they get in the red zone they can't punch it in and resort to a field goal. They will get a lot of field goals, a couple turnovers, and a few punts. They'll be lucky to get 15 points against us. The offense just needs to score a couple touchdowns and I think we win in a low scoring game.

I think Hillis has earned the right for us to be scared of him 1177 yds and 11 rushing TD'S last year to go with 61 receptions and 2 receiving TD'S. You say these are the kinds of teams we can actually stop the run against why do you say that? The last time I checked teams that are built to run like the Browns, Jags etc. give us the most problems because their offensive lines man handle us. I do think this is a winnable game though

We have to tackle better, I'd tell Pat kick the ball out of bounds on punts and give up some yards that way, we need much better play ont the o-line and tell Freeney and Mathis to play to the outside looking for the bootleg. We need to stay with the ground game, that's one of the few bright spots that came out of the Texans gamet that has been ignored is that the ground game looked improved, Addai had a 5.0 yard per carry average and for the first time in forever I remember us converting a first down by running the ball on third and short. If we do those things we'll be fine.

We wont win alot of games with Kerry throwing the ball 30 plus times a game like last week. Like you stated we need to stick with the run and make Kerry comfortable. Imo the one improvement we made with our O line i think hey can run block better than last years group, we need to stick with it.

I'm not against you or anything, but your post is almost exactly the opposite of reality.

The "300+ lbs dt" is also 6'0, and if I remember correctly he is barley over 300lbs. On top of that he is the definition of a "Dungy" linemen, small and fast.

As for the DE's, Jamaal isn't a monster run stuffing DE, he just can't pass rush but because hes "better" against the run, he's put in the run stopping category for DE's.

And for Sims... are you kidding me? Anti Run? If I recall right, hes between 5'10, and 5'11 no bigger, and is one of the fastest Lbers league wide and if someone were to describe him, it'd be undersized and fast... lol

Nothing against you, but I think your lying to yourself about the whole thing.

I will do a bit more in depth on my "things to watch for" but I'm watching the Bengals/Browns game and here are some things I think will happen.

Clark and Collie should have big games. The two starting CBs for the Browns are top notch but the LBers, safeties and nickle back, not so much.

The Colts need to run the ball 25-30 times with both Addai and Carter getting 12-15 each. Browns are not great tacklers and the DTs have not done anything impressive as of yet.

I hope the Browns have a lot of faith in letting Thomas go man to man against Freeney, because Freeney will absolutely destroy him.

Hopefully Anderson will see a lot of playing time, the RT for the Browns does not look very strong and doesn't have good footwork in run blocking or pass blocking. I think Anderson will have a good game and will help contain Hillis.

Let's see more of Moala and Nevis togther, the Browns interior does not seem to handle speed and aggression very well.

McAfee's got to get kickoffs out of the end zone and he can.

The Browns dont have anybody coming off the edge like Mario...

//////They are going to sit on our routes until we get Garcon or Collie or Reggie deep

..but that can happen.......Kerry Collins stength is his arm strength..we dont need to establish the run vs. this team.

The biggest difference will be the crowd...Our 'D' plays to the crowd,

I dont know if the fans will sit back and wait and see or if they will get involved and try to lift the team in time of need...

Coffee-man is right..our D-tackles are the key....and they should be better here..

I'm not against you or anything, but your post is almost exactly the opposite of reality.

The "300+ lbs dt" is also 6'0, and if I remember correctly he is barley over 300lbs. On top of that he is the definition of a "Dungy" linemen, small and fast.

As for the DE's, Jamaal isn't a monster run stuffing DE, he just can't pass rush but because hes "better" against the run, he's put in the run stopping category for DE's.

And for Sims... are you kidding me? Anti Run? If I recall right, hes between 5'10, and 5'11 no bigger, and is one of the fastest Lbers league wide and if someone were to describe him, it'd be undersized and fast... lol

Nothing against you, but I think your lying to yourself about the whole thing.

simms is young and still growing he might get up to 235lb ooops still not 250

I'm over in Browns territory this week for a bit of R&R/vacation, seeing family. Here's the feeling of most of the fans around these parts...

They think the fact that the Browns are favored is laughable. The Browns have a new head coach with no NFL head coaching experience, new position coaches, a brand new offense, a young QB still trying to figure it out, young players still trying to get their timing down, etc. The Browns had a ton of money to spend on FA pickups and virtually stood still. The feeling is that they are almost looking at this season as a "throwaway" year to get the system down, then next year they will be very aggressive in the FA market plus have a pretty high draft pick. They are also looking at building themselves primarily through the draft, modeling themselves closely to the Colts success in past years.

If our defense can play like they did in the 2nd half last week and either hold the Browns down or at the very least keep the game close, the Colts should be able to open things up and pull away in the 2nd half. One thing we will definitely need to do better is play better kick coverage. Cribbs can be a game-changer, given the opportunity. If we neutralize him and play better D with better tackling, we should come out with a "W" for this game.

One thing we will definitely need to do better is play better kick coverage. Cribbs can be a game-changer, given the opportunity. If we neutralize him and play better D with better tackling, we should come out with a "W" for this game.

This is the thing that worries me most. I get nervous every time our special teams go out on the field!

Well, the Browns can run the ball. The colts showed glimps of greatness today in the running game.

They need to bench Collins and bring in David Garrard.

He may not know the playbook well but he knows that division well and he is a very mobile quarterback.

The current o line for the colts is not good.