Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Alex Smith Landing Spot

turner46992

Its been amazing how this kid has handled losing his starting gig to being a back up. its been stated on the NFL, and through the media he will be a possible trade option or cut next year. Alex Smith isnt a horrible qb and could land anywhere that needs a good qb. Now we all also know BA has left to go to the Cardinals and Cardinals dont really have a good starting QB. Could Smith be a good match for the cardinals and would it be a QB that Bruce is looking for? He has starting potential(more than Sanchez does) and I actually like the kids play, I want to see him go somewhere and succeed. What do you guys think, Can he make it in Arizona, if not, Where?

Jacksonville, Jets, Cleveland, Kansas City, and Arizona are the likely landing spots.

1. Chiefs- Personally I think he'll fit best in KC. Reid is basically the QB whisperer and he'd come onto a team with a great O-Line and run game. He'd flourish in KC.

2. Jags- He'd be alright in Jacksonville but I'm not sure if the run game there will be any good there. MJD might not be around and if he is we're not sure he'll be 100 percent. Though they do have some talented receivers.

3. Browns- Looks to be a team that's moving in the right direction. Young play makers in Richardson and Josh Gordon. The best O lineman in the league with Joe Thomas. He'd be a solid fit there. They just need a #2 receiver.

4. Jets- Total Rebuild. Not a good landing spot. 

5. Arizona- They may have the worst O-line I have ever seen. They have a great receiving core in Fitz and Floyd. Basically no run game to speak of. Not a good fit unless that line is fixed up.

Can't see KC happening. They gave Cassel a ton of money and still have him under contract for 2 years. Plus, the fanbase is screaming to draft a QB with the first pick. That has to be on the minds of the FO. I just can't see them paying Cassel's gauranteed money AND giving Alex a hefty paycheck (which he will want) as well.

Jets - Would he even take it if they offered? Plus the same situation in KC applies here, there's another QB on the roster eating up a lot of money.

Browns - They won't give up on Weeden this early

Arizona - Porous O-line, but Arians coming in is an exciting premise I bet, as well as rivaling SF two times a year. Plus, Larry Fitzgerald.

Jags - What will they do about Gabbert...I don't know. Henne is only a band-aid. Serviceable if you want a 6 win season. But Jax seems like a good fit for Alex.

Can't see KC happening. They gave Cassel a ton of money and still have him under contract for 2 years. Plus, the fanbase is screaming to draft a QB with the first pick. That has to be on the minds of the FO. I just can't see them paying Cassel's gauranteed money AND giving Alex a hefty paycheck (which he will want) as well.

Jets - Would he even take it if they offered? Plus the same situation in KC applies here, there's another QB on the roster eating up a lot of money.

Arizona - Porous O-line, but Arians coming in is an exciting premise I bet, as well as rivaling SF two times a year. Plus, Larry Fitzgerald.

Jags - What will they do about Gabbert...I don't know. Henne is only a band-aid. Serviceable if you want a 6 win season. But Jax seems like a good fit for Alex.

I agree with a lot of the points that you've made. Just wanted to comment on a few things.

Arians: He likes a downfield vertical passing attack. Alex Smith has made a career doing two things:

1. Short passes, with the occasional long pass to Vernon Davis

2. Check downs to Frank Gore. 

In Arians offense, he'd be asked to air it out--which is not Alex Smith's strength-- and there aren't check downs.

The Jaguar fan base, for the most part, think that Blaine Gabbert is better than Alex Smith (yes, as crazy as that sounds). This wouldn't be the move that they would want to see. If the FO wanted to bring in another QB to challenge Gabbert, they would prefer that it should be someone else--someone much better. The FO might feel differently and think that Alex Smith is a good fit.

I agree with everything you said Vance except for the Jags situation. QB Chad Henne moves the ball effectively & Gabbert is the backup QB band aid. I don't want Alex Smith. Henne is far superior to Smith IMO. 

I think the real winner in all of this is SF.

Philly set the bar. They got a 2nd and an under contract top 10CB.....for an unsigned QB in Kolb, who's resume is no where near Smiths.

I keep hearing smith/2nd to NY for Revis. I personally think that's a rip off for SF....if I were to offer that trade it would be to Arizona, for 22yr old Patrick Peterson....not gonna happen, just my thoughts.

Alex Smith was awful until SF built a great team around him. Why would any bad team think he would be their savior?

Probably the same reason Seattle thought Matt Flynn was their savior till Wilson, or The Cardinals thought Kolb was there savior, Alex isnt really an stand out starter or -Elite- as some would say but with weapons he can make things happen, so the cardinals have a poor oline, and a dead running game. They can work on both of those problems in the draft while pulling Alex over, now he has a decent line a decent run game, 2 stand out wr, a fairly decent Defense. This is why I think Cardinals are a good fit. They are building a team over there, and Alex can help them in the most important position on the field