Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Randy Moss or Marvin Harrison

JoshTheColtsFan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvin had ONE good playoff game.....       that's it.  

And look at both players career stats..    Reggie is equal in all but TD's...      But Reggie does have 9 post season TD's...  how many does Marv have?

I can post the stats but you know where to get them.       

I've already seen the stats - and watched the games for that matter. You aren't refuting my argument, you are ignoring it.

As I've already stated a few times now, Reggie is one of my favorite football players of all time. I love the guy, and I might well choose to have him on my team rather than Marvin. I'm not trying to knock Reggie down. I understand your perception of Reggie's playoff performances - he's been tremendous, and I was right there with you cheering for him. I'm just stating that dismissing Marvin's playoff contributions is an unfair exaggeration. Once again, he was virtually always THE man that the other team was trying to take away, while Reggie - on the same field at the same time - was often the beneficiary of said behavior. In other words, Bill Belichick clearly demonstrated whom he thought was the bigger threat, and that speaks volumes.

The same thought process goes into comparing their career totals. Marvin was 31 before they even started talking about cracking down on DB coverage techniques, played the first five years of his career with a black hole across the field at #2 WR, yet set numerous records and until the moment he hurt his knee appeared to be destined to end up second to (the incredibly long tenured) Rice in all relevant receiving categories. People have been talking about him as a possible HOFer since he was probably 27. Wayne was 32 before he was even the #1 receiver on his own TEAM, derived incredible benefit from playing opposite a "possible HOFer", has never made remotely the same impact on the career charts, is only now thanks to his consistency and longevity being talked about by some as an "all-time" receiver, and still has virtually no chance in heck of ever coming close to Marvin's TD total. I loved both, they each benefited from the other, and we were lucky to have them. But one was the #1 receiver, one was the #2 receiver. It's relevant to the conversation.

The reality is that Marvin didn't go hide in the corner in playoff games as you seem to suggest, he still had typically 45-60 yards (with TWO good games, not one) it just didn't measure up to his typical performance. Common sense suggests that this has more to do with top defenses in the playoffs being allowed to get away with more physically play than during the regular season, and it impacting a small receiver. What I don't like is you presenting it as a character flaw. If you think that Harrison is the type of player to cower in fear when presented with a challenge, you weren't paying very close attention.

2 things

1.Its a fact if you dont have QB that can stand firm in the pocket and throw an accurate ball your screwed on sundays, I dont care who your receivers are, if the ball is thrown 5 yards short or long then your name could be Jerry Rice and your still not catching as many balls as you would with a good QB, who did Moss have throwing to him for that 1 year in Oak? an old Kerry Collins? Marques Tuiasosopo? Andrew Walter? are you kidding me? There is a reason a guy like Justin Blackmon for example who was so highly thought of in the '11 draft because of what he was capable of did not get off to the start that was expected of him, Insert Chad Henne and Blackmon goes off against Houston and his numbers improve after that(Im not saying Henne is great or real good but he is better then Gabbert) Gabbert was not and is not a starting QB in the NFL, heck he was average in college nothing eye popping, another example what did Wayne do with the QB parade of last year? 75 receptions 960 yards 4 touchdowns? those aren't bad stats FOR A NUMBER 2 WR but those are not close Wayne like numbers or number 1 wr numbers, why? we only had one QB play  like he actually was a QB and that was Dan O, without a good QB ya might as well not even come out the tunnel on sundays, 

2.If growing with a QB was massively overrated why did Peyton call his offseason regimen with Eric Decker critical? why has he spent his offseasons with his wr's in the past? why did Wayne say it was so important with Luck?

kerry Collins went on to defeat Peyton Manning and go to the playoffs by winning the AFC south crown.(during Peytons prime) in his later years with the Titans. And that is AFTER his stint in Oakland he did not get any younger after that... So I am not sure why you are knocking Kerry Collins for having been to old in Oakland. Makes absolutely no sense to me. You can't have it both ways... I am sure you have tried to forget that year but trust me it happened.

Lol Peyton was drafted in 1998 nothing he does could ever make him "grow up" with Decker. We clearly have different perceptions of what that means. I think you are confusing what I was referring to as "continuity" which Peyton thrives and requires but he has no time machine and he will never grow up with Decker like everyone wanted Luck and Garcon too. Peyton has like 3 years left tops he is not "growing up" with anybody....

i dont even know where to begin. first off i could care less about his work ethic. what i care about is the numbers he puts up. have you ever played sports? losing sucks especially a really bad loss to a rival. you feel like crap and you just dont want anyone in your face. yes marv was the consistent pro and dedicated his time to profect his craft but physically speaking you want a guy like moss. big fast strong his great leaping ability and his ability to burn you deep.

Lol the jaguars were not a rival to the Vikings, A colts fan should know that. Lol.

Second, work ethic is important ask any coach or GM that has ever existed at any level whether it be Pee wee or the NFL. Have you ever played any sports? Because if #'s are all you care about I am not sure you have ever even heard a coach speak. I would imagine any coach throwing you off their team with that attitude/outlook.

Your outlooks reminds me much more of a Bengals fan than a Colts fan. Most Colts fans on this forum revered Manning and Harrison for their work ethic and prayed Luck would be similar in that regard. I have never seen a Colts fan say that they work ethic is basically useless and all they want are big players with speed and big #'s. Honestly I am not sure why you even like the Colts, they are the complete opposite of that.

Lol the jaguars were not a rival to the Vikings, A colts fan should know that. Lol.

Second, work ethic is important ask any coach or GM that has ever existed at any level whether it be Pee wee or the NFL. Have you ever played any sports? Because if #'s are all you care about I am not sure you have ever even heard a coach speak. I would imagine any coach throwing you off their team with that attitude/outlook.

as the great michael jordan said theres no I in team but theres an I in win. the rival thing was me just making a point. why should I waste my energy when the rest of my team doesnt. im gonna put out 100% for a losing cause? if i wanted to i could join my college's basketball team, but they suck. im suppose to waste my energy saving their butts while the rest of the team doesnt share the same energy, whats the point

Or could have been. Bit he was an *. Always taking plays off. Being a primadonna, just a constant headache. Completely giving up on teams, raiders, titans. Dude had so much talent could have been best. But instead I just think of him as a big joke and glad he was never on our team.

mod edit  Moss has been a favorite in every locker room he has been in and a mentor. Most players he has played with speak very highly of ihm and his leadership. Yes he did have some down years in that black hole Oakland. Did Randy take plays off? Eh sort of. If the ball wasn't going his way he wasn't going to run 40 yards down field every play. No player could handle that. Randy is such a smooth player and makes things look effortless which can also make him look like he is taking plays off. Randy Moss was the most dominant WR of all time. No WR in NFL history comes even close to the impact he had on defenses. No WR in NFL history sniffs him when it comes to how he altered defensive gameplans. And in his prime, there wasn't a WR ever who was as imposing and as dominant as Randy Moss.

Edited by shecolt
personal shot

Dude gets injured too much.

i dont think hes missed a game in his career. can someone check that for me

He's missed 4 games total in 6 years. Last time he missed a game was 2010

Also let's not forget he had QB's like Shaun Hill, Jon Kitna, Daunte Culpepper, Dan Orvlosky, Drew Stanton, and of course Matthew Stafford.

Also let's not forget he had QB's like Shaun Hill, Jon Kitna, Daunte Culpepper, Dan Orvlosky, Drew Stanton, and of course Matthew Stafford.

thanks silenthill :)

Megatron is a beast.

mod edit Moss has been a favorite in every locker room he has been in and a mentor. Most players he has played with speak very highly of ihm and his leadership. Yes he did have some down years in that black hole Oakland. Did Randy take plays off? Eh sort of. If the ball wasn't going his way he wasn't going to run 40 yards down field every play. No player could handle that. Randy is such a smooth player and makes things look effortless which can also make him look like he is taking plays off. Randy Moss was the most dominant WR of all time. No WR in NFL history comes even close to the impact he had on defenses. No WR in NFL history sniffs him when it comes to how he altered defensive gameplans. And in his prime, there wasn't a WR ever who was as imposing and as dominant as Randy Moss.

Way to much moss koolaide.

Way to not make any valid point or contribution. Kudos. But ya know best of luck trying to argue facts.

You're making excuses for a dude who was a plague. He was a problem both times in minn. a problem in oak and a problem in tenn. dude had off the chart talent but was a complete butt. Oh yeah, and he has been that way since college. Why he got drafted lower than expected.

as the great michael jordan said theres no I in team but theres an I in win. the rival thing was me just making a point. why should I waste my energy when the rest of my team doesnt. im gonna put out 100% for a losing cause? if i wanted to i could join my college's basketball team, but they suck. im suppose to waste my energy saving their butts while the rest of the team doesnt share the same energy, whats the point

That kinda explains your position lol

You're making excuses for a dude who was a plague. He was a problem both times in minn. a problem in oak and a problem in tenn. dude had off the chart talent but was a complete butt. Oh yeah, and he has been that way since college. Why he got drafted lower than expected.

A plague? Please. People go around and act like Jerry Rice was a saint. News flash he wasn't. He is a diva just like most top receivers you will see. Every one likes to talk about Moss unreal talent but guess what most people also list him as the 2nd best receiver of all time. That is just how good he is. Quote from AJ Jenkins about Moss: "Randy Moss is one of the coolest people you'll ever meet. Moss is really a good guy, man. Good person, always has good advice for you. Honestly, my season would have been a lot more difficult if I didn't have Moss in my corner."

A plague? Please. People go around and act like Jerry Rice was a saint. News flash he wasn't. He is a diva just like most top receivers you will see. Every one likes to talk about Moss unreal talent but guess what most people also list him as the 2nd best receiver of all time. That is just how good he is. Quote from AJ Jenkins about Moss: "Randy Moss is one of the coolest people you'll ever meet. Moss is really a good guy, man. Good person, always has good advice for you. Honestly, my season would have been a lot more difficult if I didn't have Moss in my corner."

Sorry to interfere with your love fest. But you are quoting a player from San Fran. Yeah, I'm sure he is being a good teammate because they happen to be winning. Waste of time even debating it with you. And quite frankly I can care less. He has a proven history. If I wanted to waste my time I can dig up tons of crap. But I don't fricken care one damn bit.

Harrison did what the team needed; he didn't do any less than he could, but was cautious about doing more. In his style he become the best possession receiver ever. He mastered the art of route running. His hands were made of glue. Moss wanted to pick and choose what games he played in. He had the best talent but judgment is done by more than talent. Leadership and ability and desire is the proper combo. Harrison had it all. Class and Game.