Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fantasy Football Leagues (Next Season)

Andy

Hope everyone had fun this season! Here's a quick preview of what will happen next year.

We will merge the 3 leagues into 2 leagues. I will eliminate all the players that did not really participate, and keep the ones that this. I came down to this league. Please identify yourself with your team name:

Along Came Collie

Fresh 4 Life

Indian Outlaws

Virutas Team

hillbillysfromhell

Us and Them

Fx Stryker

Duck Dynasty

Crestmount

coltman51

Blackhawk

AxelF

Austintacious

Build the Monster

Im Feeling lucky

Peyton and the Dudes

Silenthill

Crazycolt1

The Replacement Refs

That's 19 teams, not including my team. We'll have 21 teams in all (I'll be in both leagues). I'd like to have 2 12 team leagues, which means we'll need 3 other guys. I'm not going to ask for commitments now, but we'll find guys during the summer.

Because of this, there will be no keepers, we'll be starting fresh for next year. It's still early, but I felt it was good to give you guys the heads up.

Winners will be getting their prizes within the next 2 months, just can you guys please drop me a message saying your name, address, zip code, and other home info. 

Thanks again guys!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone wants to play until the bullets start flying....    and come week 5..     some teams are ...    out of it. 

And the abandoned team becomes reality.    Giving some teams "bunny" wins.      It is a MAJOR problem with FREE leagues.

IF any of you all wish to play ... ..   please DO NOT ABANDON YOUR TEAM.       It takes all of 2 minutes to fill a roster. 

hillbillyzfromhell.......................

maybe a few more IF you want to win.....  

Everyone wants to play until the bullets start flying....    and come week 5..     some teams are ...    out of it. 

And the abandoned team becomes reality.    Giving some teams "bunny" wins.      It is a MAJOR problem with FREE leagues.

IF any of you all wish to play ... ..   please DO NOT ABANDON YOUR TEAM.       It takes all of 2 minutes to fill a roster. 

hillbillyzfromhell.......................

maybe a few more IF you want to win.....  

Yes I agree. If I that find anyone abandons the league, they'll be replaced immediately. It was a pain in the butt last year when people did it, so if someone isn't active for 2 weeks without notifying me, they're out.

And to all the people asking to join the league, I'll put all the names together and choose 3 names, it's the fairest way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Would really love to do fantasy football but have no idea how to play it. Where do you play it and what are the rules?

There are different rules for different leagues.  

Mostly at the beginning of the year there is a draft of players who are currently NFL players.  From the players they draft the person selects a starting line up.  Each player gets a certain number of points based on their stats for that week's games.  Now some teams just do it by accumulation of total points.  Other teams have 2 fantasy teams play each other and the team that has the most points between the 2 of them wins the game and each team then has a record.  

It sounds like this is the 2nd.  

Most leagues are seasonal and have a draft every season which is what this sounds like.  I think there are some leagues that do it over the course of several years, those would be far more involved.  

Almost all the leagues only use individual players for offense.  And even then it's only players at the skill positions since offensive linemen don't collect stats.  

Many leagues allow defenses by letting you pick an entire team's defense as part of the draft (as though the entire defense where one individual player.)

You can trade players, release players, sign players who are free agents and you can switch between subs and starters.  

It's important to pay attention to who is playing who in the NFL.  For example you might have Adrian Peterson as one of your RB's but say he's going up in real life against the top rush defense in the NFL in the next game.  While you might have Ray Rice or some other RB as your backup and he's playing against a team that can't stop the run.  So in that case you would bench AP and go with Ray Rice even though in most situations AP is the better player. 

Also you want to bench anyone that's on a bye week and anyone who's injured and won't play in the next game.  If they are done for the season I believe you release them since the game only goes over the course of a season.

I would also be interested in playing, I've never played before though, although I'm somewhat familiar with how it works.

There are different rules for different leagues.  

Mostly at the beginning of the year there is a draft of players who are currently NFL players.  From the players they draft the person selects a starting line up.  Each player gets a certain number of points based on their stats for that week's games.  Now some teams just do it by accumulation of total points.  Other teams have 2 fantasy teams play each other and the team that has the most points between the 2 of them wins the game and each team then has a record.  

It sounds like this is the 2nd.  

Most leagues are seasonal and have a draft every season which is what this sounds like.  I think there are some leagues that do it over the course of several years, those would be far more involved.  

Almost all the leagues only use individual players for offense.  And even then it's only players at the skill positions since offensive linemen don't collect stats.  

Many leagues allow defenses by letting you pick an entire team's defense as part of the draft (as though the entire defense where one individual player.)

You can trade players, release players, sign players who are free agents and you can switch between subs and starters.  

It's important to pay attention to who is playing who in the NFL.  For example you might have Adrian Peterson as one of your RB's but say he's going up in real life against the top rush defense in the NFL in the next game.  While you might have Ray Rice or some other RB as your backup and he's playing against a team that can't stop the run.  So in that case you would bench AP and go with Ray Rice even though in most situations AP is the better player. 

Also you want to bench anyone that's on a bye week and anyone who's injured and won't play in the next game.  If they are done for the season I believe you release them since the game only goes over the course of a season.

Thanks really helpful, all i knew was that you draft players and thats your team. Sounds a lot more complex than what i thought, but i like the idea of it being more complex. Makes it interesting.

Plus i'm definately interested. Is it done on nfl.com? if so  my name is jamesiejr.

The CHAMP(that's me) is glad to see so many people wanting to dive into the world of fantasy football. It might help the newbies if we were to inform them of how we got started on our first fantasy football venture. I'll start:

It wasn't that long ago... It was Michael Turner's first year as a member of the Falcons.

I joined a free league over at ESPN with a bunch of strangers because I wanted to learn more about the game of football on a fun and intimate level. However, I missed our leagues draft simply because I forgot about it. So I rush home to see what players were auto-picked for me. Having no idea if these guys were good for fantasy football of not... I asked my friend for his opinion. He said it was an ok team... not a great team. I remember having Michael Turner, Brian Westbrook, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and that is about all I remember. I think what won me over was how well Turner and Westbrook did for me. IT WAS FANTASTIC!!!

Been hooked ever since...

The CHAMP(that's me) is glad to see so many people wanting to dive into the world of fantasy football. It might help the newbies if we were to inform them of how we got started on our first fantasy football venture. I'll start:

It wasn't that long ago... It was Michael Turner's first year as a member of the Falcons.

I joined a free league over at ESPN with a bunch of strangers because I wanted to learn more about the game of football on a fun and intimate level. However, I missed our leagues draft simply because I forgot about it. So I rush home to see what players were auto-picked for me. Having no idea if these guys were good for fantasy football of not... I asked my friend for his opinion. He said it was an ok team... not a great team. I remember having Michael Turner, Brian Westbrook, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and that is about all I remember. I think what won me over was how well Turner and Westbrook did for me. IT WAS FANTASTIC!!!

How and when is the draft done?  Might influence if I can play or not, I'm not sure I would want players auto-picked for me unless I set up some sort of draft board ahead of time and the picks just followed the draft board.

How and when is the draft done?  Might influence if I can play or not, I'm not sure I would want players auto-picked for me unless I set up some sort of draft board ahead of time and the picks just followed the draft board.

Every site does it a little bit different and may have their own rankings. The League Manager(LM) would set the day and time for the draft. Usually an LM takes into account everyone's availability to set a date and time that is most acceptable.

You do not have to have players auto-picked for you. In my instance I had no choice because I was not present for the draft and the draft program will make selections for you until you show up.

You can set up a draft board if you are unable to attend but, In many cases the draft board can not be made until the hour RIGHT BEFORE the draft actually happens.

If you are ever interested in trying out a mock draft for practice, let me know. When I am bored I will go to FantasyFootballCalculator.com and do mock drafts to my hearts content. It is easy and you don't need to sign up to partake. Mind you, it is a very simple layout and most all of the popular sites will have "fancier" draft programs but, it will help you get a feel for an actual draft scenario.

Mid-Late August. It'll be a live draft. 

Ok another question, how does the draft auto pick for you if you can't make it to the draft.  

I just feel like it shouldn't be a problem to get on, set up my roster and submit it in the time between Monday night football and Thursday night football.  

But being online on a specific day and time would be a bit more tricky, though I can try.

But I would hate to not play just because I can't make it online for the draft.  

Every site does it a little bit different and may have their own rankings. The League Manager(LM) would set the day and time for the draft. Usually an LM takes into account everyone's availability to set a date and time that is most acceptable.

You do not have to have players auto-picked for you. In my instance I had no choice because I was not present for the draft and the draft program will make selections for you until you show up.

You can set up a draft board if you are unable to attend but, In many cases the draft board can not be made until the hour RIGHT BEFORE the draft actually happens.

If you are ever interested in trying out a mock draft for practice, let me know. When I am bored I will go to FantasyFootballCalculator.com and do mock drafts to my hearts content. It is easy and you don't need to sign up to partake. Mind you, it is a very simple layout and most all of the popular sites will have "fancier" draft programs but, it will help you get a feel for an actual draft scenario.

Ok tried that out, thanks for the suggestion.  Learned a few things too.  

Ok another question, how does the draft auto pick for you if you can't make it to the draft.  

I just feel like it shouldn't be a problem to get on, set up my roster and submit it in the time between Monday night football and Thursday night football.  

But being online on a specific day and time would be a bit more tricky, though I can try.

But I would hate to not play just because I can't make it online for the draft.  

This league did a "live" online draft last season.    And if I recall correctly a few did not show.;...    but what happens is the draft order is set..  then we start picking.....   and if owner X does not show he has 1 :30 to show and pick.   If dude does NOT show the computer picks his player by "position rankings" and / vs  "positions available"   The computer WILL fill your roster...     I never draft a K or D until a week before the season.    

An auto draft is not  a bad thing.     But drafting live is SO MUCH FUN.....

Try getting a LIVE draft together sometime......       

Champ?   are you Austintacious? 

This league did a "live" online draft last season.    And if I recall correctly a few did not show.;...    but what happens is the draft order is set..  then we start picking.....   and if owner X does not show he has 1 :30 to show and pick.   If dude does NOT show the computer picks his player by "position rankings" and / vs  "positions available"   The computer WILL fill your roster...     I never draft a K or D until a week before the season.    

An auto draft is not  a bad thing.     But drafting live is SO MUCH FUN.....

Try getting a LIVE draft together sometime......       

Yeah, I'd like to do it.  My problem is I have currently no idea what's going to be happening at that July/August time period.  Baby is due July 14, but may come earlier.  (Last ultrasound showed him being 2 weeks bigger then he should be)

Plus my birthday is at the end of July.  

And I anticipate with the baby coming that at least my mother in law but also later (due to work) my father in law and hopefully my brother in law will all be up here to see their first grandchild/nephew.

I think I'll just go ahead and sign up and if I have to let it auto draft for me I'll just operate with what ever I get in the auto draft.

If there is enough interest perhaps we could maybe form a 3rd league again and maybe put all the beginners in one league or something.

Yahoo (you'll need an account for those who don't have one) has not started their fantasy football season, but I will start setting things up very soon. Here are some early details:

- Two 12 man leagues

- Woodrow is my co-commisioner in one league. He'll be a big help this year!

- Could use a co-commish for the other league, but Wood and I will be in charge of both leagues.

Each league will have:

- 3 divisions of 4 teams

- A schedule where you face your division opponents twice and every other person once.

- There will be a live mock draft.

- The order will be based on what Yahoo spits out 30 minutes before the draft. I'm trying to figure out a way where winners and high finishers don't have great odds of going early, but for now, it's the Yahoo Random order.

- Playoffs are Week 15, 16 & 17

- Allowed 4 players acquisitions per week

- QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, W/R, TE, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

What teams are, and who will be in them will be decided in the next couple of days. From what I see, the interested list (the people who will be filling the last 3 spots):

- Colts Fan 4 Life

- RealityisLuck

- BB

- House

- Dustin

- Mameluc

- luckthefuture

- Jay

- jamesie jr

I will be putting you guys in one of those order generators, I'll randomize it 20-30 times, the three people with the lowest numbers are in the league (If you're 1st in the order, that's 1 point... 10th is 10 and so on...). That's the fairest way to do it.

COME BACK HERE TO FIND OUT WHO WON!!! I'M DOING IT TONIGHT!

The people that were picked were:

Colts Fan 4 Life

Dustin

RealityisLuck

Sorry to the guys that didn't get picked, that's the way the cookie crumbles. It's hurts. Just an option, if any team is willing to have a co-owner, there's your chance to get in the league.