Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Under The Radar Signings

OG Geoff Schwartz - I've thrown this guy's name around a few times on here, and if I'm perfectly honest here, I'd say he's just about the best guard on the free agency market this offseason....bear with me. Last year PFF had him as one of the value FA signings that teams could get. He had spent the year on IR, but the previous year he had proven to be a pretty solid lineman for the Panthers. In 2012 Minnesota scooped him up for $1.5 mil, and he was used as a backup to Brandon Fusco, despite being markedly better than Fusco. The Vikes had a dominant Oline so maybe they didn't want to mess with the chemistry, but in his 182 snaps, Schwartz had a 6.4 overall grade by the PFF system. The highest rated OG in free agency this year, Brandon Moore, has a 21.3 grade on 1086 snaps. If Schwartz had played at his level consistently but given the same amount of snaps Moore had, he would have had a 38.2 overall grade for the season. Grigson could probably get him for about 2 mil a year, and we'd get a young (26), hungry, and huge mauler, that could block circles around McGlynn. Sign him Grigson!!!

Who else has nice, under the radar signings that we wouldn't have to pay 10 mil a year to get?

OG Geoff Schwartz - I've thrown this guy's name around a few times on here, and if I'm perfectly honest here, I'd say he's just about the best guard on the free agency market this offseason....bear with me. Last year PFF had him as one of the value FA signings that teams could get. He had spent the year on IR, but the previous year he had proven to be a pretty solid lineman for the Panthers. In 2012 Minnesota scooped him up for $1.5 mil, and he was used as a backup to Brandon Fusco, despite being markedly better than Fusco. The Vikes had a dominant Oline so maybe they didn't want to mess with the chemistry, but in his 182 snaps, Schwartz had a 6.4 overall grade by the PFF system. The highest rated OG in free agency this year, Brandon Moore, has a 21.3 grade on 1086 snaps. If Schwartz had played at his level consistently but given the same amount of snaps Moore had, he would have had a 38.2 overall grade for the season. Grigson could probably get him for about 2 mil a year, and we'd get a young (26), hungry, and huge mauler, that could block circles around McGlynn. Sign him Grigson!!!

Who else has nice, under the radar signings that we wouldn't have to pay 10 mil a year to get?

I would definitely be onboard with signing Schwartz as a cheaper option to some of the bigger names. Get him and Vasquez and we will have upgraded the line significantly. Even if we just resigned Justice to play RT, I would feel much better about our line. Im still a believer that the guard position was the biggest weakness on the line and with improved play from the guard spot our line would be much better.  

DL Desmond Bryant - I really like this guy. A guy with a lot of character and intelligence, a Harvard grad who had to actually earn his spot on the Raider's roster as an undrafted free agent. Playing behind Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly, he wasn't given a ton of snaps until this year when Seymour was injured. He is PFF's highest rated interior D-Lineman (16.5), slightly ahead of Henry Melton (15.7), who will be given a significantly bigger pay day because of his sack numbers and prestige. With Oakland's salary cap problems, he may end up testing the free agent waters. If he does, he'd probably cost no more what we gave Redding.

CB Greg Toler - He's been Arizona's primary Nickel Corner for the last couple years. Since the Cards invested such a high pick in Patrick Peterson and brought in William Gay to be the #2 Corner, Toler has not been given a lot of opportunities to show what he can do. When he has though, he has shown quite a bit. With the way offenses work nowadays, it's not as if he's never had to cover talented WRs, so being a Nickel Corner is no indictment on his talent....sometimes the slot guy is the best receiver on the field. Reggie Wayne played in the slot tons this year. On his 308 snaps he earned a grade of 6.8 per PFF, with 2 picks and 8 passes defended. Arizona plays a predominantly man-to-man coverage style, so he would definitely fit. I would much prefer him over re-signing Cassius Vaughn, PFF's lowest rated free agent corner (-13.1).

I wouldn't argue bringing him in as competition for McKinney/Chapman at Nose on run downs, but a pass rusher he is not.

Competition at Nose as well as he has not gotten many starts at Cincy but he has 5 sacks, I'd wonder if he could that at DE in a 3-4

OLB Michael Bennett - Alright, so he's been a 4-3 DE with the Bucs, but I don't really worry about the semantics of being an edge rusher. Bennett is in an elite class as far as stuffing the run, and lord knows we could use some good run stuffers. Plus he had 9 sacks on the season. Since the sack statistic is about the only thing that earns a DE his pay day, he may not quite get the offer from TB that he would be worth. I have no idea what he'll get, but I'd imagine it's about half of what Anthony Spencer gets, so he'd be a much more 'moneyball' kind of player. Edge rusher is only a need if they don't think Hughes is the player Polian thought he drafted, but I digress.....

• 2 weeks later...

Adam "Pacman" Jones - He has actually put up a pretty good season in limited action with the Bengals this season (9 passes defended and an opposing passer rating of 81.9 on balls thrown his direction). While he may not have the skills that big name FA Corners have, he will be quite a bit cheaper and is an upgrade over what we have, both as a corner and could also help in the return game. 

thoughts?

Not sure why u keep making a big deal about a guy criticizing a 3rd string QB/special teams player

No problem with it at all if the guy was on another team he criticized, ya dont go public with teammate drama it looks way worse then any drama between two players from opposing teams plus it has potential to divide......Oh wait he was on the Jets!

Using this CB "per snap" data it looks like CBs Sam Shields and Keenan Lewis actually compare favorably to higher profile CBs on the market such as Cary Williams.

I like Williams but he is said to be looking for some pretty substantial money.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-cornerbacks/

Good CBs never seem to come "cheap" but passes defended and 1st downs allowed are often overlooked for the flashier INT stats...which don't always give us the full picture. I'm not a big stat hound but at least this shows their body of work in pass defense.

Keenan Lewis also had 56 solo tackles and 15 assists.

I added OG Ramon Foster to the Build a Monster OL thread.  I think he'd be an awesome addition.  Can play both Guard positions, has been a steady starter for PIT.  Should be a reasonably priced option.

Per Rotoworld:

Foster has started 31 games over the last two seasons, but he's unlikely to be a
priority for the Steelers. They took David DeCastro in the first round last year
and Willie Colon signed a five-year contract in 2011. "I want to go somewhere
where I'll be appreciated," Foster said. "I played a lot and started a lot. I'll
see where it goes when free agency opens up whether I get a contract or not."

DL Desmond Bryant - I really like this guy. A guy with a lot of character and intelligence, a Harvard grad who had to actually earn his spot on the Raider's roster as an undrafted free agent. Playing behind Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly, he wasn't given a ton of snaps until this year when Seymour was injured. He is PFF's highest rated interior D-Lineman (16.5), slightly ahead of Henry Melton (15.7), who will be given a significantly bigger pay day because of his sack numbers and prestige. With Oakland's salary cap problems, he may end up testing the free agent waters. If he does, he'd probably cost no more what we gave Redding.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42496/309/nfl-free-agency-rankings?pg=2

" There's a good chance you've never heard of Desmond Bryant, 27, but you need to get used to it. He's going to be a very hot free agent. I recall watching tape of offensive skill position players last offseason, and defensive end No. 90 for Oakland kept showing up. In 2012, Bryant kicked inside to replace injured Richard Seymour and graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 6 overall defensive tackle. He was the best player on a bad defense. A Harvard alum with a scheme-versatile body (6'6/311), Bryant will appeal to 3-4 teams as a five-technique end and 4-3 clubs at interior tackle."

Sounds good to me. As does Geoff Schwartz.

OLB Michael Bennett - Alright, so he's been a 4-3 DE with the Bucs, but I don't really worry about the semantics of being an edge rusher. Bennett is in an elite class as far as stuffing the run, and lord knows we could use some good run stuffers. Plus he had 9 sacks on the season. Since the sack statistic is about the only thing that earns a DE his pay day, he may not quite get the offer from TB that he would be worth. I have no idea what he'll get, but I'd imagine it's about half of what Anthony Spencer gets, so he'd be a much more 'moneyball' kind of player. Edge rusher is only a need if they don't think Hughes is the player Polian thought he drafted, but I digress.....

i watched some video on Bennett and he looks good. i think the difference from going from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB can be substantial though. I guess it really depends on the player. another player i have looked at is Victor Butler, dallas. " Victor Butler, 25, round out the rush linebacker depth. Butler is intriguing. Buried behind Spencer and Ware the past four seasons, Butler still managed 11 sacks and four forced fumbles while starting just 1-of-63 games. He is a free-agent sleeper."

i watched some video on Bennett and he looks good. i think the difference from going from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB can be substantial though. I guess it really depends on the player. another player i have looked at is Victor Butler, dallas. " Victor Butler, 25, round out the rush linebacker depth. Butler is intriguing. Buried behind Spencer and Ware the past four seasons, Butler still managed 11 sacks and four forced fumbles while starting just 1-of-63 games. He is a free-agent sleeper."

Yeah I was going to throw Butler in here, but I didn't think anyone would agree with me. He would make the OLB spot opposite Mathis interesting for next year between him, Hughes, and Hickman.

schwamm

caution: I often pull-hook my posts... FORE!

922 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM

I added OG Ramon Foster to the Build a Monster OL thread. I think he'd be an awesome addition. Can play both Guard positions, has been a steady starter for PIT. Should be a reasonably priced option.

Doubt we qet him with Arians in AZ and their need for an Oline

Thanks for the post Peytonator... great finds.. hey zip them to Grigs.... LOL

Using this CB "per snap" data it looks like CBs Sam Shields and Keenan Lewis actually compare favorably to higher profile CBs on the market such as Cary Williams.

I like Williams but he is said to be looking for some pretty substantial money.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-cornerbacks/

Good CBs never seem to come "cheap" but passes defended and 1st downs allowed are often overlooked for the flashier INT stats...which don't always give us the full picture. I'm not a big stat hound but at least this shows their body of work in pass defense.

Keenan Lewis also had 56 solo tackles and 15 assists.

Keenan Lewis is very high on my list of CBs I want in FA. I am glad the Steelers did not do as well as the Ravens, otherwise his market value might be as high as Cary Williams or at least demands would be. Bar none, I would want this young CB.

Another guy I like is Randy Starks of Miami, has experience playing in a 4-3 as DT and 3-4 as DE with good solid production in both, thus he will be that under the radar signing who is bound to improve our D.

schwamm

caution: I often pull-hook my posts... FORE!

922 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM

I added OG Ramon Foster to the Build a Monster OL thread. I think he'd be an awesome addition. Can play both Guard positions, has been a steady starter for PIT. Should be a reasonably priced option.

Doubt we qet him with Arians in AZ and their need for an Oline

Thanks for the post Peytonator... great finds.. hey zip them to Grigs.... LOL

If he's a free agent, he has the choice. I understand he has a connection to BA, but I doubt that is the only factor he'll consider. $$$ and a chance to play for a winning team might have sway too.

My question is are there any significant free agents we can snatch from within our division. Making us stronger while making our competitors weak simultaneously? It's happened to us many times so maybe we could return the favor. And no, I don't want Connor Barwin.

Off the top of my head I know that Glover Quin (FS) and Justin Forsett (RB) from Houston are two players that could offer us possible upgrades, although I do not know how much Houston will miss Forsett.

From the Jags Rashad Jennings (RB) might not be a bad upgrade for our second RB or Terrence Knighton (DT) could help us along the line possibly.

From the Titans I wouldn't mind us taking Fernando Velasco (C ) from them, as Satele always seemed to be injured this season.

There are probably a few more players that I can't think of at the moment, but thats a start.

If he's a free agent, he has the choice. I understand he has a connection to BA, but I doubt that is the only factor he'll consider. $$$ and a chance to play for a winning team might have sway too.

i wouldn't mind signing Ramon Foster. I had brought him up about a month ago. He's definitely a hat-on-hat OL, which i've read Pep Hamilton runs. Ramon wants to go somewhere that he can start, so i guess he might have a chip on his shoulder which should come out in his play each week..that could be a good thing!  ??

I don't know if this would be under the radar but I have a feeling Colts will sign Josh Cribbs of the Browns.

with the way Luck and Cribbs were in sync at the Pro Bowl I wouldn't doubt it. I know Cribbs wants to be more than just a ST player, but having Cribbs as a rotational WR and the KR man could be sensational!

my under the radar guys are:

Max Starks from the dolphins

Alan Branch

Keenan Lewis

Glover Quin

Desmond Bryant

Ramon Foster

Brandon Lloyd

Will Beatty

Donald Thomas from the Patriots, he is ok IMO and would come cheap.

Chad Rinehart fromt he bills.

im not saying we will sign all those guys im just stating under the radar guys... honestly i see us more probably signing someone fromt hat list than Bowe, Wallace, DRC, etc.

the bolded ones + the OP idea of Schwartz are my favorites

I just love the idea that Starks has already played 3-4 DE and that Alan branch even though the seahawks tdont play a 3-4 per se, they play with some 3-4 principles

Yep.....then the Vikings got him.

why not try him as RT then? usually Tackles are way more expensive than G and Geoff would come kind of cheap.

having him as RT if he has the skill set + Louis Vasquez or Ramon foster would solve our OL problems and at reasonable price, we would just need a G in draft

why not try him as RT then? usually Tackles are way more expensive than G and Geoff would come kind of cheap.

having him as RT if he has the skill set + Louis Vasquez or Ramon foster would solve our OL problems and at reasonable price, we would just need a G in draft

Maybe we will....I'm sure Grigson will figure it out.

We definitely need an upgrade at both OG's and RT....so however we achieve that is fine with me.